Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quesadilla at Taco Bell

Today DH saved a bundle of money taking off the kitchen countertops - quoted
by several places $700; & up to $1200 to re-do the plumbing for the sink
hook up with the removal.

He spent the several hours today unhooking the reverse osmosis under the
sink and pulling off the old formica (with wooden frame) countertops, and
taking out the trash compactor door and frame. Tomorrow he will get the
guts of the trash compactor taken out. Then all goes to the dump, for which
we have an ole' time truck to do that job. Hope someone is standing by (a
trash picker, would you call them) for an old, but completely new and unused
trash compactor.

Now our stove and dishwasher and vent has been replaced, and next week we
shall have new countertops, hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday. Flooring next.

This leaves us without a kitchen for a few days. There is not a restaurant
that we will eat 'at' or 'in' within 20-28 miles one-way. Which leaves us
locally driving about 10 miles down the highway to the first fast-food exit.

Since we hadn't been to Taco Bell for at least 11 or 12 years, and they had
quesadilla plastered all over the windows, $2.99 for either chicken or beef.
I had the chicken, DH had the beef. The tortilla was a big, fat and soft,
cut in 4 funny shaped pieces wrapped in cellophane, about 100F. About 40%
of the quesadilla had nothing on it; the rest of it was a gloop of some
funny cheese-type sauce instead of a melted cheese, and a few tiny bits of
chicken. I ate one of the pieces. And a cup of iced tea for me.

We raced home for some good chocolate and a glass of port for me and red for
him, and a movie, hoping to erase the memory.

Tomorrow morning? McDonalds! Whoopee!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:48:39 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
wrote:

>He spent the several hours today unhooking the reverse osmosis under the
>sink and pulling off the old formica (with wooden frame) countertops, and
>taking out the trash compactor door and frame. Tomorrow he will get the
>guts of the trash compactor taken out. Then all goes to the dump, for which
>we have an ole' time truck to do that job. Hope someone is standing by (a
>trash picker, would you call them) for an old, but completely new and unused
>trash compactor.

Please consider posting the trash compactor on www.freecycle.com for
your area. It's a wonderful way to find things you're looking for,
and to get rid of perfectly good items instead of throwing them away.

Sorry about your dinner. I just plain don't eat at Taco Bell anymore.
The last several times I attempted it, I got sick. I'm not sure what
they put in their "food," and I don't want to know, either.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message

> I saw the commercials and they looked like some sort of flatbread
> rather than any sort of tortilla. Looked a like a lot of bread.
> I suspect they want to appeal to the people who want to eat these
> in their cars while driving by making them more like a sandwich.
>
> Thanks for the warning. And apologies in advance for the
> crossposting ;-)
>
> -sw

The "Sauk-ster" is going to kick your ass, man! You're goin' DOWN! My
money is on the "Wisconsin Whiz"!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:48:39 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
> wrote:
>
>> He spent the several hours today unhooking the reverse osmosis under
>> the sink and pulling off the old formica (with wooden frame)
>> countertops, and taking out the trash compactor door and frame.
>> Tomorrow he will get the guts of the trash compactor taken out.
>> Then all goes to the dump, for which we have an ole' time truck to
>> do that job. Hope someone is standing by (a trash picker, would you
>> call them) for an old, but completely new and unused trash compactor.

> Please consider posting the trash compactor on www.freecycle.com for
> your area. It's a wonderful way to find things you're looking for,
> and to get rid of perfectly good items instead of throwing them away.
>
> Sorry about your dinner. I just plain don't eat at Taco Bell anymore.
> The last several times I attempted it, I got sick. I'm not sure what
> they put in their "food," and I don't want to know, either.
>
> Carol

I'm with you, Carol. Every time I eat it, I spend the next hour and a half
in the bathroom. Not worth it. :-(

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:48:39 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
> wrote:
>
>>He spent the several hours today unhooking the reverse osmosis under the
>>sink and pulling off the old formica (with wooden frame) countertops, and
>>taking out the trash compactor door and frame. Tomorrow he will get the
>>guts of the trash compactor taken out. Then all goes to the dump, for
>>which
>>we have an ole' time truck to do that job. Hope someone is standing by (a
>>trash picker, would you call them) for an old, but completely new and
>>unused
>>trash compactor.

> Please consider posting the trash compactor on www.freecycle.com for
> your area. It's a wonderful way to find things you're looking for,
> and to get rid of perfectly good items instead of throwing them away.
>
> Sorry about your dinner. I just plain don't eat at Taco Bell anymore.
> The last several times I attempted it, I got sick. I'm not sure what
> they put in their "food," and I don't want to know, either.
>
> Carol

Thanks for your response, Carol. I am aware of the freecycle and think it
is a good thing. Most of everything I do get rid of goes to the Shenandoah
Community store where all the proceeds are put back into this community. I
had all my life been giving to Salvation Army, but I like this idea of
keeping it close to home; feels good.

Taco Bell had been off my list, for the very fact that the last time I did
eat there years ago, I too got ill. We have had another name for it since,
but I won't repeat it.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:48:39 -0400, Dee Dee wrote:
>
> > Since we hadn't been to Taco Bell for at least 11 or 12 years, and they

had
> > quesadilla plastered all over the windows, $2.99 for either chicken or

beef.
> > I had the chicken, DH had the beef. The tortilla was a big, fat and

soft,
> > cut in 4 funny shaped pieces wrapped in cellophane, about 100F. About

40%
> > of the quesadilla had nothing on it; the rest of it was a gloop of some
> > funny cheese-type sauce instead of a melted cheese, and a few tiny bits

of
> > chicken. I ate one of the pieces. And a cup of iced tea for me.

> I saw the commercials and they looked like some sort of flatbread
> rather than any sort of tortilla. Looked a like a lot of bread.
> I suspect they want to appeal to the people who want to eat these
> in their cars while driving by making them more like a sandwich.
>
> Thanks for the warning. And apologies in advance for the
> crossposting ;-)
>
> -sw

Wrong, their delicious, I started eating them regularly several months ago,
and I thought I posted about it before. There is definately more filling
then just bread, there is melted cheese of course, tasty, HEALTHY chicken
and some sort of quesadilla souce that's just a LITTLE bit hot. And there's
LOTS of cheese on it as you know already, I'm a cheese LOVER and it is an
official cheese's lover's approved/mandatory item.

I definately reccomend it, I get one almost every trip I make there.

And Yes, they are extremely easy to eat, and not messy at all. You just
have to tear the wrapper open right where it says to and it forms the
perfect "dish" to eat it from. Perfect for eating in the car actually.

It's a little expensive, I don't look at the price but there order always
seems to be a few dollers extra when I order one. I keep meaning to try the
new GRANDE quesadilla, but I always seem to forget. If anyone tasted it and
wants to comment, please do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:50:35 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
wrote:

>Taco Bell had been off my list, for the very fact that the last time I did
>eat there years ago, I too got ill. We have had another name for it since,
>but I won't repeat it.

Crash calls it Taco Hell.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:48:39 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
wrote:

snippage

>This leaves us without a kitchen for a few days. There is not a restaurant
>that we will eat 'at' or 'in' within 20-28 miles one-way. Which leaves us
>locally driving about 10 miles down the highway to the first fast-food exit.

more snippage

>Tomorrow morning? McDonalds! Whoopee!
>Dee Dee

There's an up side to this. You probably won't have to eat in another
one the rest of your lives. (if you survive ;-)

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 8/12

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:50:35 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
> wrote:
>
>>Taco Bell had been off my list, for the very fact that the last time I did
>>eat there years ago, I too got ill. We have had another name for it
>>since,
>>but I won't repeat it.

> Crash calls it Taco Hell.
>
> Carol

You got it!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

Jerry Sauk wrote:
> "Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:48:39 -0400, Dee Dee wrote:
>>
>>> Since we hadn't been to Taco Bell for at least 11 or 12 years, and
>>> they had quesadilla plastered all over the windows, $2.99 for
>>> either chicken or beef. I had the chicken, DH had the beef. The
>>> tortilla was a big, fat and soft, cut in 4 funny shaped pieces
>>> wrapped in cellophane, about 100F. About 40% of the quesadilla had
>>> nothing on it; the rest of it was a gloop of some funny cheese-type
>>> sauce instead of a melted cheese, and a few tiny bits of chicken.
>>> I ate one of the pieces. And a cup of iced tea for me.

>> I saw the commercials and they looked like some sort of flatbread
>> rather than any sort of tortilla. Looked a like a lot of bread.
>> I suspect they want to appeal to the people who want to eat these
>> in their cars while driving by making them more like a sandwich.
>>
>> Thanks for the warning. And apologies in advance for the
>> crossposting ;-)
>>
>> -sw

> Wrong, their delicious, I started eating them regularly several
> months ago, and I thought I posted about it before. There is
> definately more filling then just bread, there is melted cheese of
> course, tasty, HEALTHY chicken and some sort of quesadilla souce
> that's just a LITTLE bit hot. And there's LOTS of cheese on it as
> you know already, I'm a cheese LOVER and it is an official cheese's
> lover's approved/mandatory item.
>
> I definately reccomend it, I get one almost every trip I make there.
>
> And Yes, they are extremely easy to eat, and not messy at all. You
> just have to tear the wrapper open right where it says to and it
> forms the perfect "dish" to eat it from. Perfect for eating in the
> car actually.
>
> It's a little expensive, I don't look at the price but there order
> always seems to be a few dollers extra when I order one. I keep
> meaning to try the new GRANDE quesadilla, but I always seem to
> forget. If anyone tasted it and wants to comment, please do.

Isn't this quesadilla cut up into quarters or something? I think that's
what I saw advertised. But, it's not on a tortilla, right? It's definitely
some sort of flat bread? On TV it looked thick; like a grilled cheese. I'm
just curious.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:
> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:50:35 -0400, "Dee Dee" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Taco Bell had been off my list, for the very fact that the last
>>> time I did eat there years ago, I too got ill. We have had another
>>> name for it since,
>>> but I won't repeat it.

>> Crash calls it Taco Hell.
>>
>> Carol

> You got it!
> Dee Dee

That's what I call it too. :~) Have for years and years and years.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> Today DH saved a bundle of money taking off the kitchen countertops - quoted
> by several places $700; & up to $1200 to re-do the plumbing for the sink
> hook up with the removal.
>
> He spent the several hours today unhooking the reverse osmosis under the
> sink and pulling off the old formica (with wooden frame) countertops, and
> taking out the trash compactor door and frame. Tomorrow he will get the
> guts of the trash compactor taken out. Then all goes to the dump, for which
> we have an ole' time truck to do that job. Hope someone is standing by (a
> trash picker, would you call them) for an old, but completely new and unused
> trash compactor.
>
> Now our stove and dishwasher and vent has been replaced, and next week we
> shall have new countertops, hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday. Flooring next.
>
> This leaves us without a kitchen for a few days. There is not a restaurant
> that we will eat 'at' or 'in' within 20-28 miles one-way. Which leaves us
> locally driving about 10 miles down the highway to the first fast-food exit.
>
> Since we hadn't been to Taco Bell for at least 11 or 12 years, and they had
> quesadilla plastered all over the windows, $2.99 for either chicken or beef.
> I had the chicken, DH had the beef. The tortilla was a big, fat and soft,
> cut in 4 funny shaped pieces wrapped in cellophane, about 100F. About 40%
> of the quesadilla had nothing on it; the rest of it was a gloop of some
> funny cheese-type sauce instead of a melted cheese, and a few tiny bits of
> chicken. I ate one of the pieces. And a cup of iced tea for me.
>
> We raced home for some good chocolate and a glass of port for me and red for
> him, and a movie, hoping to erase the memory.
>
> Tomorrow morning? McDonalds! Whoopee!
> Dee Dee

McDoogles has decent salads. ;-)

I suppose you don't even have a nuker at the moment?
Try a Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.

And some fresh frozen veggies?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:48:39 -0400, Dee Dee wrote:
>
> > Since we hadn't been to Taco Bell for at least 11 or 12 years, and they had
> > quesadilla plastered all over the windows, $2.99 for either chicken or
> > beef.
> > I had the chicken, DH had the beef. The tortilla was a big, fat and soft,
> > cut in 4 funny shaped pieces wrapped in cellophane, about 100F. About 40%
> > of the quesadilla had nothing on it; the rest of it was a gloop of some
> > funny cheese-type sauce instead of a melted cheese, and a few tiny bits of
> > chicken. I ate one of the pieces. And a cup of iced tea for me.

> I saw the commercials and they looked like some sort of flatbread
> rather than any sort of tortilla. Looked a like a lot of bread.
> I suspect they want to appeal to the people who want to eat these
> in their cars while driving by making them more like a sandwich.
>
> Thanks for the warning. And apologies in advance for the
> crossposting ;-)
>
> -sw

I really do like Taco Hell's crispy tacos, but that's about all I ever
buy there.

There is a nifty Breakfast Taco place right at the end of my street run
by Hispanics that know how to cook them right. They carry Barbacoa. ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> Thanks for your response, Carol. I am aware of the freecycle and think it
> is a good thing. Most of everything I do get rid of goes to the Shenandoah
> Community store where all the proceeds are put back into this community. I
> had all my life been giving to Salvation Army, but I like this idea of
> keeping it close to home; feels good.
>
> Taco Bell had been off my list, for the very fact that the last time I did
> eat there years ago, I too got ill. We have had another name for it since,
> but I won't repeat it.
>
> Dee Dee

We call it Taco Hell. ;-)

And I've never gotten sick there. Guess we are lucky and have a good
manager, but like I posted before, I almost always just get the cheap
Crispy Tacos.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

In article >,
"Jerry Sauk" > wrote:

> > I saw the commercials and they looked like some sort of flatbread
> > rather than any sort of tortilla. Looked a like a lot of bread.
> > I suspect they want to appeal to the people who want to eat these
> > in their cars while driving by making them more like a sandwich.
> >
> > Thanks for the warning. And apologies in advance for the
> > crossposting ;-)
> >
> > -sw

> Wrong, their delicious, I started eating them regularly several months ago,
> and I thought I posted about it before. There is definately more filling
> then just bread, there is melted cheese of course, tasty, HEALTHY chicken
> and some sort of quesadilla souce that's just a LITTLE bit hot. And there's
> LOTS of cheese on it as you know already, I'm a cheese LOVER and it is an
> official cheese's lover's approved/mandatory item.
>
> I definately reccomend it, I get one almost every trip I make there.
>
> And Yes, they are extremely easy to eat, and not messy at all. You just
> have to tear the wrapper open right where it says to and it forms the
> perfect "dish" to eat it from. Perfect for eating in the car actually.
>
> It's a little expensive, I don't look at the price but there order always
> seems to be a few dollers extra when I order one. I keep meaning to try the
> new GRANDE quesadilla, but I always seem to forget. If anyone tasted it and
> wants to comment, please do.

It's amazing how even fast food chain places can vary from town to town
based on the management. The Taco Hell in San Marcos is excellent.

So is the Taco Cabana, but I boycott them since they started posting
30.06 signs. (Gun Free zones are shooting galleries for criminals).
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Isn't this quesadilla cut up into quarters or something? I think that's
> what I saw advertised. But, it's not on a tortilla, right? It's definitely
> some sort of flat bread? On TV it looked thick; like a grilled cheese. I'm
> just curious.
>
> kili

Their grilled steak Quesadilla is the gods. It's just a bit pricey.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress said...

> Sorry about your dinner. I just plain don't eat at Taco Bell anymore.
> The last several times I attempted it, I got sick. I'm not sure what
> they put in their "food," and I don't want to know, either.

Just add water. Most of taco bell's ingredients are dehydrated and heated up
to slop consistency.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Dee Dee" > wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your response, Carol. I am aware of the freecycle and think it
>> is a good thing. Most of everything I do get rid of goes to the Shenandoah
>> Community store where all the proceeds are put back into this community. I
>> had all my life been giving to Salvation Army, but I like this idea of
>> keeping it close to home; feels good.
>>
>> Taco Bell had been off my list, for the very fact that the last time I did
>> eat there years ago, I too got ill. We have had another name for it since,
>> but I won't repeat it.
>>
>> Dee Dee

> We call it Taco Hell. ;-)
>
> And I've never gotten sick there. Guess we are lucky and have a good
> manager, but like I posted before, I almost always just get the cheap
> Crispy Tacos.

I don't even bother with industrial places like them. There are good
neighborhood places that know how to make real food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 4:34 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress said...
>
> > Sorry about your dinner. I just plain don't eat at Taco Bell anymore.
> > The last several times I attempted it, I got sick. I'm not sure what
> > they put in their "food," and I don't want to know, either.

> Just add water. Most of taco bell's ingredients are dehydrated and heated up
> to slop consistency.

They're really pretty awful. Del Taco is, for fast food, pretty
decent.
http://www.deltaco.com/dtlocator/
Del Taco cooks and mashes the beans in-store. They even grate the
Cheddar freshly.
Unfortunately, they do make their nachos with "cheese sauce," which is
right up there in crappiness with Cheez Whiz.

> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

On Aug 13, 2:30 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> "kilikini" > wrote:
> > Isn't this quesadilla cut up into quarters or something? I think that's
> > what I saw advertised. But, it's not on a tortilla, right? It's definitely
> > some sort of flat bread? On TV it looked thick; like a grilled cheese. I'm
> > just curious.

> > kili

> Their grilled steak Quesadilla is the gods. It's just a bit pricey.

The grilled steak item that do not include their repulsive beans, or
any of their disgusting sauces are the only thing decent they offer.
I had such an item about 2 years ago, as I find BOGO coupons overly
appealing.

> --
> Peace, Om

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Del Taco cooks and mashes the beans in-store. They even grate the
> Cheddar freshly.
> Unfortunately, they do make their nachos with "cheese sauce," which is
> right up there in crappiness with Cheez Whiz.
>> Andy

> --Bryan

Del Taco does seem to have a bit better food. Unfortunately the closest
one to us is almost 25 miles. I like that their quesadillas have real
cheese in them.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress said...
>
> > Sorry about your dinner. I just plain don't eat at Taco Bell anymore.
> > The last several times I attempted it, I got sick. I'm not sure what
> > they put in their "food," and I don't want to know, either.

> Just add water. Most of taco bell's ingredients are dehydrated and heated up
> to slop consistency.
>
> Andy

I'm sorry your Taco Hell is that bad.
Ours is actually the best Mexican place in town other than "Taco
lady's", but that's just for breakfast tacos. Taco Hell does not carry
Barbacoa...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for your response, Carol. I am aware of the freecycle and think it
> >> is a good thing. Most of everything I do get rid of goes to the
> >> Shenandoah
> >> Community store where all the proceeds are put back into this community.
> >> had all my life been giving to Salvation Army, but I like this idea of
> >> keeping it close to home; feels good.
> >>
> >> Taco Bell had been off my list, for the very fact that the last time I did
> >> eat there years ago, I too got ill. We have had another name for it
> >> since,
> >> but I won't repeat it.
> >>
> >> Dee Dee

> > We call it Taco Hell. ;-)
> >
> > And I've never gotten sick there. Guess we are lucky and have a good
> > manager, but like I posted before, I almost always just get the cheap
> > Crispy Tacos.

> I don't even bother with industrial places like them. There are good
> neighborhood places that know how to make real food.

So far, the neighborhood places stress the breakfast taco thing.
If I want crispy tacos, I either have to go to Taco Hell or make them
myself at home.

Guess which I do more often? ;-)

Barbacoa bowl setup
http://tinypic.com/4cketd4.jpg

Barbacoa meat in pot
http://i18.tinypic.com/2n8px5d.jpg

Barbacoa Taco Closeup
http://i16.tinypic.com/626kqcm.jpg

That plastic taco rack I found is a very handy toy.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

In article .com>,
Bobo Bonobo(R) > wrote:

> On Aug 13, 2:30 am, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > "kilikini" > wrote:
> > > Isn't this quesadilla cut up into quarters or something? I think that's
> > > what I saw advertised. But, it's not on a tortilla, right? It's
> > > definitely
> > > some sort of flat bread? On TV it looked thick; like a grilled cheese.
> > > I'm
> > > just curious.

> > > kili

> > Their grilled steak Quesadilla is the gods. It's just a bit pricey.

> The grilled steak item that do not include their repulsive beans, or
> any of their disgusting sauces are the only thing decent they offer.
> I had such an item about 2 years ago, as I find BOGO coupons overly
> appealing.
>
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> --Bryan

I'm pretty picky at Taco Hell, but they do have a few good items.
Crispy tacos (cheap!) are among them and yes, I agree on the steak items.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 11:10 am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
> > Damsel in dis Dress said...

> > > Sorry about your dinner. I just plain don't eat at Taco Bell anymore.
> > > The last several times I attempted it, I got sick. I'm not sure what
> > > they put in their "food," and I don't want to know, either.

> > Just add water. Most of taco bell's ingredients are dehydrated and heated up
> > to slop consistency.

> > Andy

> I'm sorry your Taco Hell is that bad.
> Ours is actually the best Mexican place in town other than "Taco
> lady's", but that's just for breakfast tacos. Taco Hell does not carry
> Barbacoa...

All Taco Bells have the same crappy beans, ground beef, etc.
If the Taco Bell "is actually the best Mexican place in town," that
says more about your town than Taco Bell, and if you think it's good,
why the disparaging Taco Hell moniker?

> --
> Peace, Om

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
MayQueen > wrote:

> > Del Taco cooks and mashes the beans in-store. They even grate the
> > Cheddar freshly.
> > Unfortunately, they do make their nachos with "cheese sauce," which is
> > right up there in crappiness with Cheez Whiz.
> >> Andy

> > --Bryan
> >

> Del Taco does seem to have a bit better food. Unfortunately the closest
> one to us is almost 25 miles. I like that their quesadillas have real
> cheese in them.

There is always Taco Cabana, but I boycott them....
They had excellent fajitas when I used to go there.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
The Truthful Assh0le > wrote:

> On Aug 13, 11:10 am, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
> > > Damsel in dis Dress said...

> > > Just add water. Most of taco bell's ingredients are dehydrated and heated
> > > up
> > > to slop consistency.

> > > Andy

> > I'm sorry your Taco Hell is that bad.
> > Ours is actually the best Mexican place in town other than "Taco
> > lady's", but that's just for breakfast tacos. Taco Hell does not carry
> > Barbacoa...

> All Taco Bells have the same crappy beans, ground beef, etc.
> If the Taco Bell "is actually the best Mexican place in town," that
> says more about your town than Taco Bell, and if you think it's good,
> why the disparaging Taco Hell moniker?
>
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> --Bryan

Well, the best Mexican food can actually be found in my kitchen... but
that's beside the point. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>
>> Isn't this quesadilla cut up into quarters or something? I think that's
>> what I saw advertised. But, it's not on a tortilla, right? It's
>> definitely
>> some sort of flat bread? On TV it looked thick; like a grilled cheese.
>> I'm
>> just curious.
>>
>> kili

> Their grilled steak Quesadilla is the gods. It's just a bit pricey.
> --
> Peace, Om

Kili, it seems like it should be quarters, but if you cut up something round
in quarters, it would be like a triangle, but these were pushed into a
rectangular package, so I don't know if the were triangular shaped; can't
remember.

Yes, they were 'some sort of' flat bread. I don't know what you would call
them really. I think you can even buy these da kine at Costco. Certainly I
don't equate them with their use in a normal/regular quesadeilla.

Om, it was the grilled steak Quesadilla that DH had. It was the same price
as the chicken. $2.99 each. DH gave it a 3 out of 10. I give my chicken 3
out of 10 -- oh, I'll change my mind -- 2 out of 10 for the chicken.

They must need quality control at this Taco Hell. A nice big fly was
buzzing the head of the order-person. I gave it my best to not speak-up,
and didn't.

This morning we were notified that the countertop installers would not be
here tomorrow, but Wednesday instead (hopefully!)
So we will be 'sampling' all the fast-food available at that exit -- 23
miles RT.
As Koko said, "if we survive." :-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I suppose you don't even have a nuker at the moment?
> Try a Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
>
> And some fresh frozen veggies?
> --
> Peace, Om

The nuker is in another room; there are no counter tops, but my problem
(even with paper) is that there isn't a bit of water in the kitchen to even
wipe your hands on. I have an electric teapot and have it on a table in the
kitchen, but that is it.

One time while DH was away for a few days, I had a flood in the kitchen and
had to turn off the water and tried carrying washup cups, etc. downstairs to
the utility sink. Whatta mess. I vowed never to do anything again in a
kitchen that didn't have running water -- now it is worse, no counter top,
no sink, but that would be of no use anyway.

Today between trips to fast-food alley: bananas, oranges and dried fruit +
tea.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> And I've never gotten sick there. Guess we are lucky and have a good
> manager, but like I posted before, I almost always just get the cheap
> Crispy Tacos.
> --
> Peace, Om

I'm not sick today, but I really did expect it.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I don't even bother with industrial places like them. There are good
> neighborhood places that know how to make real food.

Nice you live where they have that. We don't. We do have a couple of
neighborhood places 12 miles away, but they are not good.
Lucky you.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

> It's amazing how even fast food chain places can vary from town to town
> based on the management. The Taco Hell in San Marcos is excellent.
>
> So is the Taco Cabana, but I boycott them since they started posting
> 30.06 signs. (Gun Free zones are shooting galleries for criminals).
> --
> Peace, Om

I also have wondered if the same applies to "Drug Free Zones."
I do a double-think when I see those words.
Does it mean: OK, there are no drugs here, we need some;
OR the drugs are free here, come on in and get 'em?
Beats me.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> Om, it was the grilled steak Quesadilla that DH had. It was the same price
> as the chicken. $2.99 each. DH gave it a 3 out of 10. I give my chicken 3
> out of 10 -- oh, I'll change my mind -- 2 out of 10 for the chicken.
>
> They must need quality control at this Taco Hell. A nice big fly was
> buzzing the head of the order-person. I gave it my best to not speak-up,
> and didn't.

I'm sorry your Taco Hell sucks...
They can be rather good if properly managed.
I've even been to a bad Sonic locally and they are generally pretty
reliable.

> This morning we were notified that the countertop installers would not be
> here tomorrow, but Wednesday instead (hopefully!)

Ugh.

> So we will be 'sampling' all the fast-food available at that exit -- 23
> miles RT.
> As Koko said, "if we survive." :-))
>
> Dee Dee

<lol> Just go to IHOP if you have one? I have yet to eat at a bad one of
those, but YMMV...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> > I suppose you don't even have a nuker at the moment?
> > Try a Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
> >
> > And some fresh frozen veggies?
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> The nuker is in another room; there are no counter tops, but my problem
> (even with paper) is that there isn't a bit of water in the kitchen to even
> wipe your hands on. I have an electric teapot and have it on a table in the
> kitchen, but that is it.

What about the bathroom sink?
Or is the water off? That means y'all are using a bucket for "other"
needs?

Line it with a trash bag.

> One time while DH was away for a few days, I had a flood in the kitchen and
> had to turn off the water and tried carrying washup cups, etc. downstairs to
> the utility sink. Whatta mess. I vowed never to do anything again in a
> kitchen that didn't have running water -- now it is worse, no counter top,
> no sink, but that would be of no use anyway.

I understand.

> Today between trips to fast-food alley: bananas, oranges and dried fruit +
> tea.
>
> Dee Dee

Churches chicken.

;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> > It's amazing how even fast food chain places can vary from town to town
> > based on the management. The Taco Hell in San Marcos is excellent.
> >
> > So is the Taco Cabana, but I boycott them since they started posting
> > 30.06 signs. (Gun Free zones are shooting galleries for criminals).
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> I also have wondered if the same applies to "Drug Free Zones."
> I do a double-think when I see those words.
> Does it mean: OK, there are no drugs here, we need some;
> OR the drugs are free here, come on in and get 'em?
> Beats me.
>
> Dee Dee

It means that only the criminals that disobey the law (that is what
defines them as criminals) will have them.

You can pass all the laws you want and it will never change that.

Disarming the public just makes us helpless.

There have been enough slaughters in "gun free zones" to prove that.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

Just go to IHOP if you have one? I have yet to eat at a bad one of
> those, but YMMV...
> --
> Peace, Om

IHOP is where we shop 56 miles RT. There is NOTHING around here where we've
eaten that is any good. Oh, Oh, I forgot, we saw a new joint in the small
town where the exit fast-foods are that we will try, tomorrow. Probably a
lunch place for the lawyers - it's the county seat - jail and all.

This morning was McDonald's. Coffee was good. DH had a bagel, something --
he made no comment and I didn't ask. I had the dollar crispy chicken on a
biscuit. The order guy suggested it and said he ate it every morning. His
attitude was good, so I figured it couldn't hurt me. In fact, all the young
guys working there in front were smiling, happy, joking with customers. We
had been there a number of years ago when there were nothing but sulky,
bad-complexioned (sp?) girls yawning with huge gaping mouths into your face
so wide that made you wish you'd just stop living to make them happy.

The order guy yelled, "Cook to order for customer, make it extra crispy." It
was deep fried, no gristle, peppery crusted, and the biscuit held together,
but still feathery. I did not have to ask for a packet of jelly to make it
palatable. Not a bad choice this morning.

One thing I forgot -- getting up in the morning is not easy for me - I
pulled on my slacks that I had worn yesterday; when we returned, as I was
getting out of the car, I looked down and my slacks were on backwards and
inside-out! What I thought that were jolly guys, it could've been they were
laughing at me -- he he!

Whoa! Getting old as hell!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news

>> The nuker is in another room; there are no counter tops, but my problem
>> (even with paper) is that there isn't a bit of water in the kitchen to
>> even
>> wipe your hands on. I have an electric teapot and have it on a table in
>> the
>> kitchen, but that is it.

> What about the bathroom sink?
> Or is the water off? That means y'all are using a bucket for "other"
> needs? >
> Line it with a trash bag.

No, the water is on in the bathrooms upstairs, and utility room and bathroom
downstairs. It's my choice not to do this. I won't, I wont!

>> Today between trips to fast-food alley: bananas, oranges and dried fruit
>> +
>> tea. >> Dee Dee

> Churches chicken. -

Churches chicken?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 13, 12:56 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article .com>,
> The Truthful Assh0le > wrote:

> > > I'm sorry your Taco Hell is that bad.
> > > Ours is actually the best Mexican place in town other than "Taco
> > > lady's", but that's just for breakfast tacos. Taco Hell does not carry
> > > Barbacoa...

> > All Taco Bells have the same crappy beans, ground beef, etc.
> > If the Taco Bell "is actually the best Mexican place in town," that
> > says more about your town than Taco Bell, and if you think it's good,
> > why the disparaging Taco Hell moniker?

> > > --
> > > Peace, Om

> > --Bryan

> Well, the best Mexican food can actually be found in my kitchen... but
> that's beside the point. ;-)

You shouldn't compare your home cooking to fast food, well, unless you
should

> --
> Peace, Om

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> Just go to IHOP if you have one? I have yet to eat at a bad one of
> > those, but YMMV...
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> IHOP is where we shop 56 miles RT. There is NOTHING around here where we've
> eaten that is any good. Oh, Oh, I forgot, we saw a new joint in the small
> town where the exit fast-foods are that we will try, tomorrow. Probably a
> lunch place for the lawyers - it's the county seat - jail and all.
>
> This morning was McDonald's. Coffee was good. DH had a bagel, something --
> he made no comment and I didn't ask. I had the dollar crispy chicken on a
> biscuit. The order guy suggested it and said he ate it every morning. His
> attitude was good, so I figured it couldn't hurt me. In fact, all the young
> guys working there in front were smiling, happy, joking with customers. We
> had been there a number of years ago when there were nothing but sulky,
> bad-complexioned (sp?) girls yawning with huge gaping mouths into your face
> so wide that made you wish you'd just stop living to make them happy.
>
> The order guy yelled, "Cook to order for customer, make it extra crispy." It
> was deep fried, no gristle, peppery crusted, and the biscuit held together,
> but still feathery. I did not have to ask for a packet of jelly to make it
> palatable. Not a bad choice this morning.
>
> One thing I forgot -- getting up in the morning is not easy for me - I
> pulled on my slacks that I had worn yesterday; when we returned, as I was
> getting out of the car, I looked down and my slacks were on backwards and
> inside-out! What I thought that were jolly guys, it could've been they were
> laughing at me -- he he!
>
> Whoa! Getting old as hell!
> Dee Dee

Oy!

No, just used to running water...

We had a plumbing disaster here late one night. I got home from work to
dad having had to shut the water off.

It was 23:00.

I started calling plumbers.

The one guy that finally answered asked if it could wait 'till morning.
I told him (politely) that I was reluctant to do without water due to my
work schedule and planned to continue making calls as I was willing to
pay the emergency fee, and the first person willing to make a midnight
call would get the job.

He came out. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Dee" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> >>
> >> The nuker is in another room; there are no counter tops, but my problem
> >> (even with paper) is that there isn't a bit of water in the kitchen to
> >> even
> >> wipe your hands on. I have an electric teapot and have it on a table in
> >> the
> >> kitchen, but that is it.

> > What about the bathroom sink?
> > Or is the water off? That means y'all are using a bucket for "other"
> > needs? >
> > Line it with a trash bag.

> No, the water is on in the bathrooms upstairs, and utility room and bathroom
> downstairs. It's my choice not to do this. I won't, I wont!

<raises eyebrows> You won't wash dishes in the bathroom sink?
Heck girl, mom and I have both done stomp washes in the bathtub!
It works. ;-D

> >> Today between trips to fast-food alley: bananas, oranges and dried fruit
> >> +
> >> tea. >> Dee Dee

> > Churches chicken. -

> Churches chicken?

Yes. Better than Popeye imho, and cheaper than KFC...

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.