Old 13-08-2007, 03:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quesadilla at Taco Bell

Today DH saved a bundle of money taking off the kitchen countertops - quoted
by several places $700; & up to $1200 to re-do the plumbing for the sink
hook up with the removal.

He spent the several hours today unhooking the reverse osmosis under the
sink and pulling off the old formica (with wooden frame) countertops, and
taking out the trash compactor door and frame. Tomorrow he will get the
guts of the trash compactor taken out. Then all goes to the dump, for which
we have an ole' time truck to do that job. Hope someone is standing by (a
trash picker, would you call them) for an old, but completely new and unused
trash compactor.

Now our stove and dishwasher and vent has been replaced, and next week we
shall have new countertops, hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday. Flooring next.

This leaves us without a kitchen for a few days. There is not a restaurant
that we will eat 'at' or 'in' within 20-28 miles one-way. Which leaves us
locally driving about 10 miles down the highway to the first fast-food exit.

Since we hadn't been to Taco Bell for at least 11 or 12 years, and they had
quesadilla plastered all over the windows, $2.99 for either chicken or beef.
I had the chicken, DH had the beef. The tortilla was a big, fat and soft,
cut in 4 funny shaped pieces wrapped in cellophane, about 100F. About 40%
of the quesadilla had nothing on it; the rest of it was a gloop of some
funny cheese-type sauce instead of a melted cheese, and a few tiny bits of
chicken. I ate one of the pieces. And a cup of iced tea for me.

We raced home for some good chocolate and a glass of port for me and red for
him, and a movie, hoping to erase the memory.

Tomorrow morning? McDonalds! Whoopee!
Dee Dee

Old 13-08-2007, 04:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:48:39 -0400, "Dee Dee"
wrote:

He spent the several hours today unhooking the reverse osmosis under the
sink and pulling off the old formica (with wooden frame) countertops, and
taking out the trash compactor door and frame. Tomorrow he will get the
guts of the trash compactor taken out. Then all goes to the dump, for which
we have an ole' time truck to do that job. Hope someone is standing by (a
trash picker, would you call them) for an old, but completely new and unused
trash compactor.

Please consider posting the trash compactor on www.freecycle.com for
your area. It's a wonderful way to find things you're looking for,
and to get rid of perfectly good items instead of throwing them away.

Sorry about your dinner. I just plain don't eat at Taco Bell anymore.
The last several times I attempted it, I got sick. I'm not sure what
they put in their "food," and I don't want to know, either.

Carol
Old 13-08-2007, 04:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message

I saw the commercials and they looked like some sort of flatbread
rather than any sort of tortilla. Looked a like a lot of bread.
I suspect they want to appeal to the people who want to eat these
in their cars while driving by making them more like a sandwich.

Thanks for the warning. And apologies in advance for the
crossposting ;-)

-sw

The "Sauk-ster" is going to kick your ass, man! You're goin' DOWN! My
money is on the "Wisconsin Whiz"!

Old 13-08-2007, 04:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I'm with you, Carol. Every time I eat it, I spend the next hour and a half
in the bathroom. Not worth it. :-(

kili

Old 13-08-2007, 04:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your response, Carol. I am aware of the freecycle and think it
is a good thing. Most of everything I do get rid of goes to the Shenandoah
Community store where all the proceeds are put back into this community. I
had all my life been giving to Salvation Army, but I like this idea of
keeping it close to home; feels good.

Taco Bell had been off my list, for the very fact that the last time I did
eat there years ago, I too got ill. We have had another name for it since,
but I won't repeat it.

Dee Dee

Old 13-08-2007, 05:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

[...]

Wrong, their delicious, I started eating them regularly several months ago,
and I thought I posted about it before. There is definately more filling
then just bread, there is melted cheese of course, tasty, HEALTHY chicken
and some sort of quesadilla souce that's just a LITTLE bit hot. And there's
LOTS of cheese on it as you know already, I'm a cheese LOVER and it is an
official cheese's lover's approved/mandatory item.

I definately reccomend it, I get one almost every trip I make there.

And Yes, they are extremely easy to eat, and not messy at all. You just
have to tear the wrapper open right where it says to and it forms the
perfect "dish" to eat it from. Perfect for eating in the car actually.

It's a little expensive, I don't look at the price but there order always
seems to be a few dollers extra when I order one. I keep meaning to try the
new GRANDE quesadilla, but I always seem to forget. If anyone tasted it and
wants to comment, please do.

Old 13-08-2007, 05:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:50:35 -0400, "Dee Dee"
wrote:

Taco Bell had been off my list, for the very fact that the last time I did
eat there years ago, I too got ill. We have had another name for it since,
but I won't repeat it.

Crash calls it Taco Hell.

Carol
Old 13-08-2007, 05:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 22:48:39 -0400, "Dee Dee"
wrote:

snippage

This leaves us without a kitchen for a few days. There is not a restaurant
that we will eat 'at' or 'in' within 20-28 miles one-way. Which leaves us
locally driving about 10 miles down the highway to the first fast-food exit.

more snippage

Tomorrow morning? McDonalds! Whoopee!
Dee Dee

There's an up side to this. You probably won't have to eat in another
one the rest of your lives. (if you survive ;-)

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 8/12

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

Old 13-08-2007, 05:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

Jerry Sauk wrote:
[...]

Isn't this quesadilla cut up into quarters or something? I think that's
what I saw advertised. But, it's not on a tortilla, right? It's definitely
some sort of flat bread? On TV it looked thick; like a grilled cheese. I'm
just curious.

kili

Old 13-08-2007, 05:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Taco Bell had been off my list, for the very fact that the last
time I did eat there years ago, I too got ill. We have had another
name for it since,
but I won't repeat it.

Crash calls it Taco Hell.

Carol

You got it!
Dee Dee

That's what I call it too. :~) Have for years and years and years.

kili

Old 13-08-2007, 08:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Dee Dee" wrote:

[...]

McDoogles has decent salads. ;-)

I suppose you don't even have a nuker at the moment?
Try a Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.

And some fresh frozen veggies?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-08-2007, 08:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

[...]

I really do like Taco Hell's crispy tacos, but that's about all I ever
buy there.

There is a nifty Breakfast Taco place right at the end of my street run
by Hispanics that know how to cook them right. They carry Barbacoa. ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-08-2007, 08:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Dee Dee" wrote:

Thanks for your response, Carol. I am aware of the freecycle and think it
is a good thing. Most of everything I do get rid of goes to the Shenandoah
Community store where all the proceeds are put back into this community. I
had all my life been giving to Salvation Army, but I like this idea of
keeping it close to home; feels good.

Taco Bell had been off my list, for the very fact that the last time I did
eat there years ago, I too got ill. We have had another name for it since,
but I won't repeat it.

Dee Dee

We call it Taco Hell. ;-)

And I've never gotten sick there. Guess we are lucky and have a good
manager, but like I posted before, I almost always just get the cheap
Crispy Tacos.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-08-2007, 08:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.fast-food

In article ,
"Jerry Sauk" wrote:

[...]

It's amazing how even fast food chain places can vary from town to town
based on the management. The Taco Hell in San Marcos is excellent.

So is the Taco Cabana, but I boycott them since they started posting
30.06 signs. (Gun Free zones are shooting galleries for criminals).
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.