Old 20-04-2006, 01:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Taco Bell Nachos

I would like to find a nacho cheese that taste like Taco Bell's.
Anyone care to recommend some?

I love those Nachos BellGrande.

Old 20-04-2006, 03:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:

I would like to find a nacho cheese that taste like Taco Bell's.
Anyone care to recommend some?

I love those Nachos BellGrande.

Velveeta and Rotel?

The grocery store sells Taco Bell brand fixings.

Old 20-04-2006, 03:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
I would like to find a nacho cheese that taste like Taco Bell's.
Anyone care to recommend some?

I love those Nachos BellGrande.

NACHO CHEESE SAUCE

http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/NchChsSc.asp

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 cup milk
* 7 slices processed American cheese
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in
flour. Pour in the milk and stir until the mixture thickens. Stirring
constantly, mix in cheese and salt. Continue to cook and stir until
cheese has melted and all ingredients are well blended, about 15
minutes.

-Rusty

Old 20-04-2006, 04:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty wrote:
Terry wrote:
I would like to find a nacho cheese that taste like Taco Bell's.
Anyone care to recommend some?

I love those Nachos BellGrande.

NACHO CHEESE SAUCE

http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/NchChsSc.asp

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 cup milk
* 7 slices processed American cheese
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in
flour. Pour in the milk and stir until the mixture thickens. Stirring
constantly, mix in cheese and salt. Continue to cook and stir until
cheese has melted and all ingredients are well blended, about 15
minutes.

I just made this recipe. For Nacho Cheese with Tortilla Chips, make
these changes:

Leave out the salt.
Add 1/2 tsp ground cumin
Add 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Add 1 tsp Red's Hot Sauce.

-Rusty
-Rusty

Old 20-04-2006, 09:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
I would like to find a nacho cheese that taste like Taco Bell's.
Anyone care to recommend some?

I love those Nachos BellGrande.

I don't know about their cheese sauce but you can buy canned cheese sauce
and add some jalapeno peppers to it.

Jill

Old 20-04-2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

G'day mates,

Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?

In article . com,
"Rusty" wrote:

NACHO CHEESE SAUCE

http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/NchChsSc.asp

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 cup milk
* 7 slices processed American cheese
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in
flour. Pour in the milk and stir until the mixture thickens. Stirring
constantly, mix in cheese and salt. Continue to cook and stir until
cheese has melted and all ingredients are well blended, about 15
minutes.

TIA

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 20-04-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Phred wrote:
G'day mates,

Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?

Since the recipe has you make a white sauce first and then add the
cheese, you can use any shredded cheese that you want. I'd start with a
mild yellow cheddar, or whatever is your upside-down equivalent.

(that recipe looks rather dubious with all the salt; American cheese
slices are salty already)
Old 20-04-2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
Phred wrote:
G'day mates,

Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?

Since the recipe has you make a white sauce first and then add the
cheese, you can use any shredded cheese that you want. I'd start with a
mild yellow cheddar, or whatever is your upside-down equivalent.

(that recipe looks rather dubious with all the salt; American cheese
slices are salty already)

Usually an almost 5-star rating at Allrecipes.com means it will turn
out well. Not this time. I made this recipe last night and it has way
too much salt. Like I posted in a later comment, leave out the salt.

-Rusty

Old 20-04-2006, 09:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" wrote in news:1145549497.803303.98350
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Usually an almost 5-star rating at Allrecipes.com means it will turn
out well. Not this time. I made this recipe last night and it has way
too much salt. Like I posted in a later comment, leave out the salt.

-Rusty

It does pay off to read the reviews at allrecipes.

Andy

Old 20-04-2006, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:08:35 GMT, (Phred)
wrote:

G'day mates,

Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?

I guess any of those cheese spread slices, like Kraft. Anything
that's not proper cheese would probably do it. Alternately you could
just go straight to the squeezable cheese you can now buy in the dairy
section of the supermarket.

Old 21-04-2006, 02:14 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Craig Welch wrote:

But to get the real taste of 'processed American cheese', one should
use the plastic wrapper, not the stuff inside it.

--
Craig

HEY! That is not nice. :P

Old 21-04-2006, 03:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Phred wrote:
G'day mates,

Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?

A very mild/bland cheddar is a decent substitute.

gloria p
Old 21-04-2006, 04:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Rusty" wrote:

NACHO CHEESE SAUCE

http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/NchChsSc.asp

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 cup milk
* 7 slices processed American cheese
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

Phred, Phred, surely you recognise the warning sins flashing? You should
NEVER make any recipe that requires American cheese (=Monterey Jack?), Miracle
Whip, Bisquick, or Hamburger Helper.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old 21-04-2006, 08:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article ,
"Ms Leebee" wrote:

I remember going to US sporting events. You order your 'nachos' ( read:
cardboard tray of warmed corn chips ), then head over to the 'condiment
stand' where you squirt cold cheese sauce on them ( right next to the
ketchup and mustard squirty bottles ). I only ordered them once

Yecch! Did you find any good food over there?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue