Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Taco Bell Nachos

I would like to find a nacho cheese that taste like Taco Bell's.
Anyone care to recommend some?

I love those Nachos BellGrande.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:

> I would like to find a nacho cheese that taste like Taco Bell's.
> Anyone care to recommend some?
>
> I love those Nachos BellGrande.

Velveeta and Rotel?

The grocery store sells Taco Bell brand fixings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I would like to find a nacho cheese that taste like Taco Bell's.
> Anyone care to recommend some?
>
> I love those Nachos BellGrande.

NACHO CHEESE SAUCE

http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/NchChsSc.asp

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 cup milk
* 7 slices processed American cheese
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in
flour. Pour in the milk and stir until the mixture thickens. Stirring
constantly, mix in cheese and salt. Continue to cook and stir until
cheese has melted and all ingredients are well blended, about 15
minutes.

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rusty wrote:
> Terry wrote:
> > I would like to find a nacho cheese that taste like Taco Bell's.
> > Anyone care to recommend some?
> >
> > I love those Nachos BellGrande.

> NACHO CHEESE SAUCE
>
> http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/NchChsSc.asp
>
> INGREDIENTS:
>
> * 2 tablespoons butter
> * 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
> * 1 cup milk
> * 7 slices processed American cheese
> * 1/2 teaspoon salt
>
> DIRECTIONS:
>
> 1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in
> flour. Pour in the milk and stir until the mixture thickens. Stirring
> constantly, mix in cheese and salt. Continue to cook and stir until
> cheese has melted and all ingredients are well blended, about 15
> minutes.

I just made this recipe. For Nacho Cheese with Tortilla Chips, make
these changes:

Leave out the salt.
Add 1/2 tsp ground cumin
Add 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Add 1 tsp Red's Hot Sauce.

-Rusty
> -Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
> I would like to find a nacho cheese that taste like Taco Bell's.
> Anyone care to recommend some?
>
> I love those Nachos BellGrande.

I don't know about their cheese sauce but you can buy canned cheese sauce
and add some jalapeno peppers to it.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

G'day mates,

Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?

In article . com>,
"Rusty" > wrote:

>NACHO CHEESE SAUCE
>
>http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/NchChsSc.asp
>
>INGREDIENTS:
>
> * 2 tablespoons butter
> * 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
> * 1 cup milk
> * 7 slices processed American cheese
> * 1/2 teaspoon salt
>
>DIRECTIONS:
>
> 1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in
>flour. Pour in the milk and stir until the mixture thickens. Stirring
>constantly, mix in cheese and salt. Continue to cook and stir until
>cheese has melted and all ingredients are well blended, about 15
>minutes.

TIA

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Phred wrote:
> G'day mates,
>
> Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
> the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?

Since the recipe has you make a white sauce first and then add the
cheese, you can use any shredded cheese that you want. I'd start with a
mild yellow cheddar, or whatever is your upside-down equivalent.

(that recipe looks rather dubious with all the salt; American cheese
slices are salty already)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> Phred wrote:
> > G'day mates,
> >
> > Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
> > the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?
> >

> Since the recipe has you make a white sauce first and then add the
> cheese, you can use any shredded cheese that you want. I'd start with a
> mild yellow cheddar, or whatever is your upside-down equivalent.
>
> (that recipe looks rather dubious with all the salt; American cheese
> slices are salty already)

Usually an almost 5-star rating at Allrecipes.com means it will turn
out well. Not this time. I made this recipe last night and it has way
too much salt. Like I posted in a later comment, leave out the salt.

-Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rusty" > wrote in news:1145549497.803303.98350
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Usually an almost 5-star rating at Allrecipes.com means it will turn
> out well. Not this time. I made this recipe last night and it has way
> too much salt. Like I posted in a later comment, leave out the salt.
>
> -Rusty

It does pay off to read the reviews at allrecipes.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:08:35 GMT, (Phred)
wrote:

>G'day mates,
>
>Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
>the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?

I guess any of those cheese spread slices, like Kraft. Anything
that's not proper cheese would probably do it. Alternately you could
just go straight to the squeezable cheese you can now buy in the dairy
section of the supermarket.

>In article . com>,
>"Rusty" > wrote:
>>
>>NACHO CHEESE SAUCE

http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/NchChsSc.asp

>>INGREDIENTS:
>>
>> * 2 tablespoons butter
>> * 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
>> * 1 cup milk
>> * 7 slices processed American cheese
>> * 1/2 teaspoon salt
>>
>>DIRECTIONS:
>>
>> 1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in
>>flour. Pour in the milk and stir until the mixture thickens. Stirring
>>constantly, mix in cheese and salt. Continue to cook and stir until
>>cheese has melted and all ingredients are well blended, about 15
>>minutes.

>TIA
>

>Cheers, Phred.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Craig Welch wrote:

> But to get the real taste of 'processed American cheese', one should
> use the plastic wrapper, not the stuff inside it.
>
> --
> Craig

HEY! That is not nice. :P

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

> Phred wrote:
>> G'day mates,
>>
>> Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
>> the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?

A very mild/bland cheddar is a decent substitute.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >,
(Phred) wrote:

> G'day mates,
>
> Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
> the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?
>
> In article . com>,
> "Rusty" > wrote:
> >
> >NACHO CHEESE SAUCE

http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/NchChsSc.asp

> >INGREDIENTS:
> >
> > * 2 tablespoons butter
> > * 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
> > * 1 cup milk
> > * 7 slices processed American cheese
> > * 1/2 teaspoon salt

Phred, Phred, surely you recognise the warning sins flashing? You should
NEVER make any recipe that requires American cheese (=Monterey Jack?), Miracle
Whip, Bisquick, or Hamburger Helper.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >,
"Ms Leebee" > wrote:

> I remember going to US sporting events. You order your 'nachos' ( read:
> cardboard tray of warmed corn chips ), then head over to the 'condiment
> stand' where you squirt cold cheese sauce on them ( right next to the
> ketchup and mustard squirty bottles ). I only ordered them once

Yecch! Did you find any good food over there?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chookie wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ms Leebee" > wrote:
>
> > I remember going to US sporting events. You order your 'nachos' ( read:
> > cardboard tray of warmed corn chips ), then head over to the 'condiment
> > stand' where you squirt cold cheese sauce on them ( right next to the
> > ketchup and mustard squirty bottles ). I only ordered them once

> Yecch! Did you find any good food over there?
>
> --
> Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Well, we don't put beets and hard boiled eggs on our hamburgers, if
that's what you mean.

;-)

Rusty

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, Chookie > wrote:
>In article >,
> (Phred) wrote:
>
>> G'day mates,
>>
>> Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
>> the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?
>>
>> In article . com>,
>> "Rusty" > wrote:
>> >
>> >NACHO CHEESE SAUCE

http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/NchChsSc.asp

>> >INGREDIENTS:
>> >
>> > * 2 tablespoons butter
>> > * 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
>> > * 1 cup milk
>> > * 7 slices processed American cheese
>> > * 1/2 teaspoon salt

>Phred, Phred, surely you recognise the warning sins flashing? You should
>NEVER make any recipe that requires American cheese (=Monterey Jack?), Miracle
>Whip, Bisquick, or Hamburger Helper.

Who said anything about *making* this recipe? I was just curious
whether we had an equivalent -- having in mind that Kraft foil-wrapped
stuff in a carboard packet that keeps without refrigeration and was
the only "cheese" we had here in the sticks of the deep north when I
was a kid.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Chookie > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> "Ms Leebee" > wrote:
>
>> I remember going to US sporting events. You order your 'nachos' (
>> read: cardboard tray of warmed corn chips ), then head over to the
>> 'condiment stand' where you squirt cold cheese sauce on them ( right
>> next to the ketchup and mustard squirty bottles ). I only ordered
>> them once

> Yecch! Did you find any good food over there?

There are good food sources over there. It's just you *really* have to
look for them.

Problem is...... you go to the States for a visit..... you lock into the
'fast food' way of things.

I've done the same(on short visits). It's a *very* bloody convenient
avenue in the hustle and bustle.

In the 12 months I lived there, I did a *lot* of BBQ's and home cooked
meals/dinner parties. The Yanks were very suprised at the fact that
a) they could get good fresh food that tasted like real food, and
b) a guy was cooking for them (that wasn't ***!!).

BTW.......... *anyone* that goes to a Taco Bell has to be eliminated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >,
"Ms Leebee" > wrote:

> What part of the US ?

There are several parts to the US. Some people don't think we even all
speak the same language.

> Actually, I am not a fan of Mexican food, but there is no equivalent to Taco
> Bell in Australia, and I look fwd to my fix when in the States Just
> don't order the nachos ....... )

Taco Bell has its place in the order of things. But for just a few
cents more, you can ditch the plastic cheese and substitute almost real
cheese. It's worth it. Get the jalapenos also.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Ms Leebee" > wrote in
:

>> I've done the same(on short visits). It's a *very* bloody convenient
>> avenue in the hustle and bustle.

> In Noo York, the cheapest meal you can eat is the 'hotdogs' from
> street vendors. Bland, horrid things they are.
> The better vendors also offer a choice of 'sausage', which is more an
> Aussie hotdog, for 50cents more

BLECH!! One reason I only buy *gourmet* sausages, usually from my
butcher mate.
The supermarket ones are made up of lips, noses, ears, eyeballs.....
etc, etc.

>> In the 12 months I lived there, I did a *lot* of BBQ's and home
>> cooked meals/dinner parties. The Yanks were very suprised at the fact
>> that a) they could get good fresh food that tasted like real food,
>> and b) a guy was cooking for them (that wasn't ***!!).

> What part of the US ?

Based in LA (Dudley Lane, Venice Beach), but constantly travelled
throughout.

> I found home BBQ'ing in Ca was pretty much on-par with home.

Seems every home in CA has a gas Barby/grill on the 'stoop'.
I taught them how to use a wood BBQ and a plate rather than a grill :-)

>> BTW.......... *anyone* that goes to a Taco Bell has to be eliminated.

> Actually, I am not a fan of Mexican food, but there is no equivalent
> to Taco Bell in Australia,

There is *no* equivalent *anywhere* in the world to Taco Bell. Not even
in Mexico!! TB would have to be the most disgusting "Mexican" food
anywhere on this planet!!

> and I look fwd to my fix when in the States
> Just don't order the nachos ....... )

You will face elimination if you hit the TB!!

If you're going to LA, just take a drive south (on the 15/215?) for a
couple of hours. You'll come to a place called Elsinore. The southern
part is the modern section. The northern part still looks like a Wild
West town. There was/is(hopefully) a Mexican family running a Burrito
shop across the road from the Barber.
A bare shop, with one counter, one stove top and two huge saucepans
bubbling away. One beef, one chicken.

Best bloody chicken burrito I have *ever* had!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Ms Leebee" > wrote in
:

> PeterL wrote:

convenient

>>> In Noo York, the cheapest meal you can eat is the 'hotdogs' from
>>> street vendors. Bland, horrid things they are.
>>> The better vendors also offer a choice of 'sausage', which is more

an
>>> Aussie hotdog, for 50cents more

>> BLECH!! One reason I only buy *gourmet* sausages, usually from my
>> butcher mate.

> your butcher in NYC ????

LOL!! I wish!!

Sorry....... immediately went into present locale mode....... but you
knew that anyway!!

Biatch!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Ms Leebee" > wrote in
:

> <snip all >
>
> Actually, while on the topic of Mexican food, and in the US in
> particular, one thing I really like about the US for the cheap
> traveller ( ie: me ) is that ANY Mex place you take a seat in, a
> waiter will pop by soon after and issue a plate of lovely warm and
> salted corn chips and a side dish of salsa, gratis.
>
> A couple of beers, and you could call it a free meal. I know I have

BTW, I've seen this post *3* times already!!

As for the 'nachos'...... I've never been to a (Mexican) Mexican
'restaurant' that serves tacos or nachos. It's only the barstardized
Gringo versions that serve that crap.

On the same vein..........

Back in the 'day'.... at the Hermit Park RSL (circa 1977), women weren't
allowed into the Snooker Room, and at 5pm there were plates and plates
of boiled potatos with lashings of butter and salt and pepper for the
members (and players) to consume.

Nothing like half a boiled spud dripping with butter and laced with salt
and pepper to enhance your game of snooker on a full size table.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

On 23 Apr 2006 07:58:31 GMT, PeterL > wrote:

>As for the 'nachos'...... I've never been to a (Mexican) Mexican
>'restaurant' that serves tacos or nachos. It's only the barstardized
>Gringo versions that serve that crap.

Nah, there are taco stands and shops all over Tijuana that serve
lovely tacos de cabeza, de cabrito, de res...

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Serene > wrote in
:

> On 23 Apr 2006 07:58:31 GMT, PeterL > wrote:
>

>>As for the 'nachos'...... I've never been to a (Mexican) Mexican
>>'restaurant' that serves tacos or nachos. It's only the barstardized
>>Gringo versions that serve that crap.

> Nah, there are taco stands and shops all over Tijuana that serve
> lovely tacos de cabeza, de cabrito, de res...

Yep. 5mins walk from the US border. And they cater for..............????

Tikka Masala is an "Indian" curry........ invented in England, and adopted
by the Indians because it is so popular amongst the 'gringos'.
Tacos and nachos are the same. (Different country but!!)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote:

> Tikka Masala is an "Indian" curry........ invented in England, and adopted
> by the Indians because it is so popular amongst the 'gringos'.
> Tacos and nachos are the same. (Different country but!!)

I hate it when you go to a Mexican restaurant and ask for an enchirito
dinner and they just look at you like they don't know what you're
talkin' about. You know that look. (I hate that)

Best regards,
Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

:

>> On 23 Apr 2006 07:58:31 GMT, PeterL > wrote:
>>

>>>As for the 'nachos'...... I've never been to a (Mexican) Mexican
>>>'restaurant' that serves tacos or nachos. It's only the barstardized
>>>Gringo versions that serve that crap.

>> Nah, there are taco stands and shops all over Tijuana that serve
>> lovely tacos de cabeza, de cabrito, de res...
>>

>Yep. 5mins walk from the US border. And they cater for..............????

Tijuana's a large place. I am talking about places like Matamoros, La
Mesa, and other places that are more like an hour's drive from the
border. Have you spent much time in Mexico? (Not saying you haven't,
just that our experiences are different.)

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

Serene > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:58:02 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
> wrote:
>
>>Serene > wrote in
m:

>>> Nah, there are taco stands and shops all over Tijuana that serve
>>> lovely tacos de cabeza, de cabrito, de res...
>>>

>>Yep. 5mins walk from the US border. And they cater

for..............????

> Tijuana's a large place. I am talking about places like Matamoros, La
> Mesa, and other places that are more like an hour's drive from the
> border. Have you spent much time in Mexico? (Not saying you haven't,
> just that our experiences are different.)

Haven't been there since '94, so my opinion is set on what it *used* to
be like back in the 'good old days' :-)

Lived in LA off and on from '92(?? or was it '91??)-'94, travelled
around (and down south) quite a bit.
Was staying with a mate in Granada Hills for the early part of '94 and
thought enough was enough.... and headed back 'home'.

I found it was not a good place to store wine, or make souffles :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

PeterL wrote:

> Tikka Masala is an "Indian" curry........ invented in England, and adopted
> by the Indians because it is so popular amongst the 'gringos'.

IIRC it's now the "national dish" of England, even McDonald's sells it...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote
in ink.net:

> PeterL wrote:
>
>> Tikka Masala is an "Indian" curry........ invented in England, and
>> adopted by the Indians because it is so popular amongst the
>> 'gringos'.

> IIRC it's now the "national dish" of England, even McDonald's sells
> it...

LOL!! From Spotted Dick to curry!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article > , Josh B > wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:08:35 GMT, Phred (or one of their many
>personalities) said......
>

>> Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
>> the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?
>>
>> >NACHO CHEESE SAUCE
>> >
>> >http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/NchChsSc.asp
>> >
>> >INGREDIENTS:
>> >
>> > * 2 tablespoons butter
>> > * 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
>> > * 1 cup milk
>> > * 7 slices processed American cheese
>> > * 1/2 teaspoon salt

>It's the orange sliced cheese you get in Subway and Hungry Jacks.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process...merican_cheese
>
>Just use Kraft Singles or something.

Right. Thanks for the detail, Josh. As I suspected, pretty yucky.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Terry wrote:
> > I would like to find a nacho cheese that taste like Taco Bell's.
> > Anyone care to recommend some?
> >
> > I love those Nachos BellGrande.

> I don't know about their cheese sauce but you can buy canned cheese sauce
> and add some jalapeno peppers to it.

Canned cheese sauce is garbage, but I guess that's what the OP was
shooting for.

> Jill

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking,stl.dining

wrote:
> Phred a écrit :
>
> > Does anyone know what might be an Australian equivalent of
> > the "processed American cheese" used in the following recipe?

> That is a misnomer as the process referred to as "American" cheese was
> in fact developed in Canada, which is of course the better part of
> North America :-)
>
> It is a process which blends various cheeses, fats and emulsifiers to
> achieve a uniform texture and mild taste:
>
> "Pasteurized process cheese, for example, is made from one or more
> cheeses, such as cheddar or colby, and may have cream or anhydrous
> milkfat added. The cheese is blended and heated with an
> emulsifier-typically a sodium or potassium phosphate, tartrate, or
> citrate-and other optional ingredients such as water, salt,
> artificial color, and spices or other flavorings.
>
> "The cheese is then poured into molds to solidify and is later
> packaged. This processing produces a smooth, mild-tasting cheese that
> melts easily. For pasteurized process cheese, the final product can
> have a maximum moisture content of 43% and must have at least 47%
> milkfat. An interesting twist is that the product alternatively can be
> labeled as pasteurized process American cheese when made from cheddar,
> colby, cheese curd, granular cheese, or a combination of these; when
> other varieties of cheese are included, it must be called simply
> American cheese."
>
> You can read more he

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/stuff/7806sci2.html

There is nothing wrong with process cheese as far as wholesomeness, but
aesthetically, I'd avoid the stuff. In St. Louis, Missouri (where I'm
from) they make this junk called Provel. Like all process cheeses, it
is slimy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, "Ms Leebee" > wrote:
>PeterL wrote:
>> BTW, I've seen this post *3* times already!!

>Really ?
>My original still hasn't shown up on aus.food, only rec.food.cooking - which
>I didn't notice the x-post to at first ...
>so I posted it again and dropped the x-

G'day Ms L,

If you saw it first in RFC, and if you have a half-decent newsreader,
then it wouldn't show up in aus.food as it would already have been
marked as "read" [that's as in "red" not "reed" ;-) ].

ISTR that I saw both your posts in aus.food, because I go there first.
(Had me wondering what you were smoking at the time; but now I think I
understand. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

"Ms Leebee" > wrote in
:

> PeterL wrote:
>> BTW, I've seen this post *3* times already!!

> Really ?

Yep. One after the other in here. I don't do re.food cooking

> My original still hasn't shown up on aus.food, only rec.food.cooking -
> which I didn't notice the x-post to at first ...
> so I posted it again and dropped the x-

It's a glitch........ or you were ****ed and pressed the send tab 3
times!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

At this spectacle even the most gentle must feel savage, and the most
savage must weep.

Turkish Officer
400 Plateau
24May1915
Posted to rec.food.cooking,aus.food

In article >, "Ms Leebee" > wrote:
>Phred wrote:
>>
>> G'day Ms L,
>>
>> If you saw it first in RFC, and if you have a half-decent newsreader,
>> then it wouldn't show up in aus.food as it would already have been
>> marked as "read" [that's as in "red" not "reed" ;-) ].

>I like my posts to show up in both groups in x-posts though, and no, it
>wasn't marked as read.
>Never happened before, to my knowledge, and it's certainly not my first
>x-post
>
>I've tried 'proper' newsreaders, and prefer this one

There's no accounting for taste.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID