Posted to alt.food.fast-food,alt.food.mexican,alt.food.taco-bell,alt.tv.commercials,rec.food.restaurants

Default Taco Bell, in New Push, Defends Its Beef

By JULIE JARGON

Taco Bell is maintaining its drumbeat of self-defense against a lawsuit
claiming that its taco filling isn't beefy enough.

Starting this week, Taco Bell will air television commercials, radio
spots and other ads featuring franchisees and employees talking about
the makeup of its taco filling. In one ad, an employee says, "Our
seasoned beef is 88% premium ground beef and 12% signature recipe. If
you want to see that signature recipe, go to tacobell.com. It's right
there."

Ever since Alabama law firm Beasley Allen filed a lawsuit against Taco
Bell in January on behalf of a California woman who alleged that the
tacos comprise mostly of filler, the chain has been fighting back
publicly.

Taco Bell, a unit of Yum Brands Inc., ran full-page newspaper ads
headlined, "Thank you for suing us." Taco Bell President Greg Creed
appeared in YouTube videos explaining that the 12% taco mixture that's
not beef is made up of water, oats, spices and cocoa powder to provide
flavor, texture and moisture. The company also posted messages to
Facebook and bought key words on Internet search engines to direct
people to Taco Bell's website.

"We're pleased that according to our research, the customers who saw
these responses have reacted favorably. However, there are still many
people who haven't heard our beef quality facts," David Ovens, Taco
Bell's Chief Marketing Officer, said in a company announcement.

Taco Bell is trying to entice people to come to its restaurants with an
offer, mentioned in the ads, of a Crunchwrap Supreme for 88 cents, down
from its normal price of $2.39.

Marketing experts said the company is taking a chance with the ads, but
that they could pay off.

"Continuing with an ad campaign might seem counter intuitive, but Taco
Bell now has a teachable moment. Now that people have heard about the
suit and seen the ads, I think they're open to some marketing messages,"
says Gene Grabowski, a senior vice president and chairman of the
crisis-and-litigation practice at Levick Strategic Communications in
Washington. "But it's a calculated risk."

The lawsuit is pending in federal court in Santa Ana, Calif.

--
"If Barack Obama isn't careful, he will become the Jimmy Carter of the
21st century."

Posted to alt.food.fast-food,alt.food.mexican,alt.food.taco-bell,alt.tv.commercials,rec.food.restaurants

"Ubiquitous" > wrote in message
> By JULIE JARGON
>
> Taco Bell is maintaining its drumbeat of self-defense against a lawsuit
> claiming that its taco filling isn't beefy enough.
>
> Starting this week, Taco Bell will air television commercials, radio
> spots and other ads featuring franchisees and employees talking about
> the makeup of its taco filling. In one ad, an employee says, "Our
> seasoned beef is 88% premium ground beef and 12% signature recipe. If
> you want to see that signature recipe, go to tacobell.com. It's right
> there."
>
> Ever since Alabama law firm Beasley Allen filed a lawsuit against Taco
> Bell in January on behalf of a California woman who alleged that the
> tacos comprise mostly of filler, the chain has been fighting back
> publicly.
>
> Taco Bell, a unit of Yum Brands Inc., ran full-page newspaper ads
> headlined, "Thank you for suing us." Taco Bell President Greg Creed
> appeared in YouTube videos explaining that the 12% taco mixture that's
> not beef is made up of water, oats, spices and cocoa powder to provide
> flavor, texture and moisture. The company also posted messages to
> Facebook and bought key words on Internet search engines to direct
> people to Taco Bell's website.
>
> "We're pleased that according to our research, the customers who saw
> these responses have reacted favorably. However, there are still many
> people who haven't heard our beef quality facts," David Ovens, Taco
> Bell's Chief Marketing Officer, said in a company announcement.
>
> Taco Bell is trying to entice people to come to its restaurants with an
> offer, mentioned in the ads, of a Crunchwrap Supreme for 88 cents, down
> from its normal price of $2.39.
>
> Marketing experts said the company is taking a chance with the ads, but
> that they could pay off.
>
> "Continuing with an ad campaign might seem counter intuitive, but Taco
> Bell now has a teachable moment. Now that people have heard about the
> suit and seen the ads, I think they're open to some marketing messages,"
> says Gene Grabowski, a senior vice president and chairman of the
> crisis-and-litigation practice at Levick Strategic Communications in
> Washington. "But it's a calculated risk."
>
> The lawsuit is pending in federal court in Santa Ana, Calif.
>

> --
> "If Barack Obama isn't careful, he will become the Jimmy Carter of the
> 21st century."

WRONG Taco Bell is NOT trying to "entice" people to come to its restaurants
with a Crunchwrap Supreme for 88 cents, they are offering it as a THANK YOU
to the loyal customer's that eat there all the time without LYING about the
food.

Member

That's pretty funny that people trying to sue them actually helped their company in some aspects. When ever attention is being drawn to a company...it will if nothing else incite people's curiosity. For example, Billy Joel's song "only the good die young" was banned in many schools...so naturally the kids wanted it. It's not always quite the same with food, but attention brings money. I'm not a huge fan of taco bell, I prefer authentic Mexican Food.