Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

Default 11 secret herbs and spices?

I've seen a few stabs at getting the KFC formula down, and this one's
interesting:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_C...s_and_S pices

Ron Douglas, a former JP Morgan employee who now tries to reverse
engineer recipes from chain restaurants, thinks he can create a KFC
replica so good that no one will be able to tell the difference. Ron's
recipe is:

1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons Accent (an MSG-based seasoning)

Or you can spend 7 minutes with these guys and a slightly different
spice mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RK9ORaPfks

Lol, you have to love the internet...
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

In article >, casa bona > wrote:

> I've seen a few stabs at getting the KFC formula down, and this one's
> interesting:
>

> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_C...erbs_and_S pi
> ces
>
> Ron Douglas, a former JP Morgan employee who now tries to reverse
> engineer recipes from chain restaurants, thinks he can create a KFC
> replica so good that no one will be able to tell the difference. Ron's
> recipe is:
>
> 1 teaspoon ground oregano
> 1 teaspoon chili powder
> 1 teaspoon ground sage
> 1 teaspoon dried basil
> 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
> 1 teaspoon pepper
> 2 teaspoons salt
> 2 tablespoons paprika
> 1 teaspoon onion salt
> 1 teaspoon garlic powder
> 2 tablespoons Accent (an MSG-based seasoning)
>
> Or you can spend 7 minutes with these guys and a slightly different
> spice mix:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RK9ORaPfks
>
> Lol, you have to love the internet...

In the 1970's when I first started cooking and collecting recipes there
was an article in our newspaper food section about one persons quest to
duplicate Kentucky Fried Chicken. The author claimed that he'd shown his
recipe to Colonel Sanders and that he'd smiled and said that this recipe
was pretty close.

I have no idea if the dry tomato soup mixes are still available (or how
they might have changed over time), but here it is:

3 C flour
1 T paprika
2 envelopes tomato cup a soup
2 packages italian dressing mix
3 lb cut up chicken

Mix together dry ingredients. Add chicken pieces and shake to coat
well. Deep fry until golden and place on baking sheet. Brush chicken
pieces with melted butter and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

- - - - -

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/3/2013 9:38 AM, Marcella Peek wrote:
> In article >, casa bona > wrote:
>
>> I've seen a few stabs at getting the KFC formula down, and this one's
>> interesting:
>>

>> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_C...erbs_and_S pi
>> ces
>>
>> Ron Douglas, a former JP Morgan employee who now tries to reverse
>> engineer recipes from chain restaurants, thinks he can create a KFC
>> replica so good that no one will be able to tell the difference. Ron's
>> recipe is:
>>
>> 1 teaspoon ground oregano
>> 1 teaspoon chili powder
>> 1 teaspoon ground sage
>> 1 teaspoon dried basil
>> 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
>> 1 teaspoon pepper
>> 2 teaspoons salt
>> 2 tablespoons paprika
>> 1 teaspoon onion salt
>> 1 teaspoon garlic powder
>> 2 tablespoons Accent (an MSG-based seasoning)
>>
>> Or you can spend 7 minutes with these guys and a slightly different
>> spice mix:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RK9ORaPfks
>>
>> Lol, you have to love the internet...

> In the 1970's when I first started cooking and collecting recipes there
> was an article in our newspaper food section about one persons quest to
> duplicate Kentucky Fried Chicken. The author claimed that he'd shown his
> recipe to Colonel Sanders and that he'd smiled and said that this recipe
> was pretty close.
>
> I have no idea if the dry tomato soup mixes are still available (or how
> they might have changed over time), but here it is:
>
> 3 C flour
> 1 T paprika
> 2 envelopes tomato cup a soup
> 2 packages italian dressing mix
> 3 lb cut up chicken
>
> Mix together dry ingredients. Add chicken pieces and shake to coat
> well. Deep fry until golden and place on baking sheet. Brush chicken
> pieces with melted butter and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
>
> - - - - -
>

> marcella

Thanks for that, it's the other side of the discussion on what makes up KFC.

I think I'm less inclined to accept it due to what I personally think I
taste in the coating, which almost certainly has hints of sage and
marjoram, and for saltiness has to have some enhancement like Accent.

Also the fry followed by an hour at 350 seems way to long - I can see
maybe 30 minutes.

There is a lot of fried chicken out there, but KFC's has stood the test
well and remains a very complex taste profile.

I'm not averse to Popeyes, but Church's does nothing for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

Forget KFC, what you want to clone is:

http://eischenschicken.com

Yes, it's worth a multi-hour drive to visit, and it has made it on
various food shows including Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives where you can
find a video that provides some insight to those trying to clone their
chicken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/3/2013 10:56 AM, Pete C. wrote:

> Forget KFC, what you want to clone is:
>
> http://eischenschicken.com
>
> Yes, it's worth a multi-hour drive to visit, and it has made it on
> various food shows including Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives where you can
> find a video that provides some insight to those trying to clone their
> chicken.

I'll have to look that video up, thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

casa bona wrote:

> On 7/3/2013 9:38 AM, Marcella Peek wrote:
> > In article >, casa bona > wrote:
> >
> >> I've seen a few stabs at getting the KFC formula down, and this one's
> >> interesting:
> >>

> >> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_C...erbs_and_S pi
> >> ces
> >>
> >> Ron Douglas, a former JP Morgan employee who now tries to reverse
> >> engineer recipes from chain restaurants, thinks he can create a KFC
> >> replica so good that no one will be able to tell the difference. Ron's
> >> recipe is:
> >>
> >> 1 teaspoon ground oregano
> >> 1 teaspoon chili powder
> >> 1 teaspoon ground sage
> >> 1 teaspoon dried basil
> >> 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
> >> 1 teaspoon pepper
> >> 2 teaspoons salt
> >> 2 tablespoons paprika
> >> 1 teaspoon onion salt
> >> 1 teaspoon garlic powder
> >> 2 tablespoons Accent (an MSG-based seasoning)
> >>
> >> Or you can spend 7 minutes with these guys and a slightly different
> >> spice mix:
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RK9ORaPfks
> >>
> >> Lol, you have to love the internet...

> > In the 1970's when I first started cooking and collecting recipes there
> > was an article in our newspaper food section about one persons quest to
> > duplicate Kentucky Fried Chicken. The author claimed that he'd shown his
> > recipe to Colonel Sanders and that he'd smiled and said that this recipe
> > was pretty close.
> >
> > I have no idea if the dry tomato soup mixes are still available (or how
> > they might have changed over time), but here it is:
> >
> > 3 C flour
> > 1 T paprika
> > 2 envelopes tomato cup a soup
> > 2 packages italian dressing mix
> > 3 lb cut up chicken
> >
> > Mix together dry ingredients. Add chicken pieces and shake to coat
> > well. Deep fry until golden and place on baking sheet. Brush chicken
> > pieces with melted butter and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
> >
> > - - - - -
> >

> > marcella

> Thanks for that, it's the other side of the discussion on what makes up KFC.
>
> I think I'm less inclined to accept it due to what I personally think I
> taste in the coating, which almost certainly has hints of sage and
> marjoram, and for saltiness has to have some enhancement like Accent.
>
> Also the fry followed by an hour at 350 seems way to long - I can see
> maybe 30 minutes.
>
> There is a lot of fried chicken out there, but KFC's has stood the test
> well and remains a very complex taste profile.
>
> I'm not averse to Popeyes, but Church's does nothing for me.

Have you ever tried Hardee's fried chicken? It's pretty darn good.

As for the KFC recipes above (sorry to quote it all but all seems relevant
here), I've tried several "copycat" recipes in the past and they were all
good but not like the original.

I worked at KFC for the summer months in 1971. I wish I had paid attention
to the ingredients. For every batch of chicken we cooked (12 chickens, each
cut into 9 pieces each), we opened a seasoning package to add to the flour.
Those packs listed all of the 11 herbs and spices. I wish I had written them
down back then.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/3/2013 2:49 PM, Gary wrote:
> casa bona wrote:

>>> In the 1970's when I first started cooking and collecting recipes there
>>> was an article in our newspaper food section about one persons quest to
>>> duplicate Kentucky Fried Chicken. The author claimed that he'd shown his
>>> recipe to Colonel Sanders and that he'd smiled and said that this recipe
>>> was pretty close.
>>>
>>> I have no idea if the dry tomato soup mixes are still available (or how
>>> they might have changed over time), but here it is:
>>>
>>> 3 C flour
>>> 1 T paprika
>>> 2 envelopes tomato cup a soup
>>> 2 packages italian dressing mix
>>> 3 lb cut up chicken
>>>
>>> Mix together dry ingredients. Add chicken pieces and shake to coat
>>> well. Deep fry until golden and place on baking sheet. Brush chicken
>>> pieces with melted butter and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
>>>
>>> - - - - -
>>>

>>> marcella

>> Thanks for that, it's the other side of the discussion on what makes up KFC.
>>
>> I think I'm less inclined to accept it due to what I personally think I
>> taste in the coating, which almost certainly has hints of sage and
>> marjoram, and for saltiness has to have some enhancement like Accent.
>>
>> Also the fry followed by an hour at 350 seems way to long - I can see
>> maybe 30 minutes.
>>
>> There is a lot of fried chicken out there, but KFC's has stood the test
>> well and remains a very complex taste profile.
>>
>> I'm not averse to Popeyes, but Church's does nothing for me.

> Have you ever tried Hardee's fried chicken? It's pretty darn good.

I have and I agree, thanks for the reminder. It's been a while too,
they're not in my local market.

> As for the KFC recipes above (sorry to quote it all but all seems relevant
> here), I've tried several "copycat" recipes in the past and they were all
> good but not like the original.

I've been having similar experiences, until I started experiment with
buttermilk brining - that's getting me closer., bu not the same yet either.

> I worked at KFC for the summer months in 1971. I wish I had paid attention
> to the ingredients. For every batch of chicken we cooked (12 chickens, each
> cut into 9 pieces each), we opened a seasoning package to add to the flour.
> Those packs listed all of the 11 herbs and spices. I wish I had written them
> down back then.
>
> G.

Oh wow, need to find the wayback machine...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/3/2013 10:49 AM, Gary wrote:

> Have you ever tried Hardee's fried chicken? It's pretty darn good.
>
> As for the KFC recipes above (sorry to quote it all but all seems relevant
> here), I've tried several "copycat" recipes in the past and they were all
> good but not like the original.
>
> I worked at KFC for the summer months in 1971. I wish I had paid attention
> to the ingredients. For every batch of chicken we cooked (12 chickens, each
> cut into 9 pieces each), we opened a seasoning package to add to the flour.
> Those packs listed all of the 11 herbs and spices. I wish I had written them
> down back then.
>
> G.

I need fried chicken - NOW! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/3/2013 8:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I need fried chicken - NOW! :-)

I've been eating a lot of chicken lately as my protein. I baked a
couple of thighs yesterday and they came out as crispy as the ones I
grilled. I'm in the mood for beef so I took out some ground beef and
ground pork to make some meatballs. I need to get the sauce on now. A
typical tomato based with canned diced tomatoes, onion, garlic and
seasonings. It will be a late dinner, or if it's too late, I'll let the
sauce sit until tomorrow, though I'm hoping to go down to southern MD
for a crab feast if my mom is up for it. We're doing a day together
tomorrow.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/3/2013 10:49 AM, Gary wrote:
>>
>> Have you ever tried Hardee's fried chicken? It's pretty darn good.
>>
>> As for the KFC recipes above (sorry to quote it all but all seems
>> relevant
>> here), I've tried several "copycat" recipes in the past and they were all
>> good but not like the original.
>>
>> I worked at KFC for the summer months in 1971. I wish I had paid
>> attention
>> to the ingredients. For every batch of chicken we cooked (12 chickens,
>> each
>> cut into 9 pieces each), we opened a seasoning package to add to the
>> flour.
>> Those packs listed all of the 11 herbs and spices. I wish I had written
>> them
>> down back then.
>>
>> G.
>>

> I need fried chicken - NOW! :-)

Ahhhh but whose fried chicken ...?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/4/2013 1:42 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 7/3/2013 10:49 AM, Gary wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you ever tried Hardee's fried chicken? It's pretty darn good.
>>>
>>> As for the KFC recipes above (sorry to quote it all but all seems
>>> relevant
>>> here), I've tried several "copycat" recipes in the past and they were
>>> all
>>> good but not like the original.
>>>
>>> I worked at KFC for the summer months in 1971. I wish I had paid
>>> attention
>>> to the ingredients. For every batch of chicken we cooked (12
>>> chickens, each
>>> cut into 9 pieces each), we opened a seasoning package to add to the
>>> flour.
>>> Those packs listed all of the 11 herbs and spices. I wish I had
>>> written them
>>> down back then.
>>>
>>> G.
>>>

>> I need fried chicken - NOW! :-)

> Ahhhh but whose fried chicken ...?

This friend chicken:

http://www.campero.com/

http://www.campero.com/latin-flavors.aspx

We're not your typical Latin restaurant. Everything on our menu is a
modern twist on Latin American favorites. Here, spice and seasonings are
tasted throughout our chicken, not just on the outside. We don't just
serve sodas and tea, we serve Horchata, Jamaica and Tamarindo. Our sides
are prepared in the kitchen, not a factory. And warm, delicious food is
brought directly to your table and served with real plates and
silverware. It's care and craft you can taste in every bite.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/3/2013 9:42 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Ahhhh but whose fried chicken ...?

Ha ha, I'm not going to touch that one. The only thing I have to say is
"god bless the chickens." I've gotten so much pleasure out of eating them.

Speaking of which, our condo is running amuck with chickens. Yesterday a
group of about 10 of them was following a women through our parking lot.
I said, "They like you." She gave me with a puzzled look and then I
pointed to the flock behind her. She looked embarrassed and said
"They're just looking for a handout."

I like having chickens in the parking lot although I wish they'd move
out of the way faster.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/4/2013 11:01 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/3/2013 9:42 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Ahhhh but whose fried chicken ...?
>>

> Ha ha, I'm not going to touch that one. The only thing I have to say is
> "god bless the chickens." I've gotten so much pleasure out of eating them.
>
> Speaking of which, our condo is running amuck with chickens. Yesterday a
> group of about 10 of them was following a women through our parking lot.
> I said, "They like you." She gave me with a puzzled look and then I
> pointed to the flock behind her. She looked embarrassed and said
> "They're just looking for a handout."
>
> I like having chickens in the parking lot although I wish they'd move
> out of the way faster.

Ah the islands, what a life you folks have...bet there are guinea fowl
about too...
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/3/2013 9:42 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Ahhhh but whose fried chicken ...?
>>

> Ha ha, I'm not going to touch that one. The only thing I have to say is
> "god bless the chickens." I've gotten so much pleasure out of eating them.
>
> Speaking of which, our condo is running amuck with chickens. Yesterday a
> group of about 10 of them was following a women through our parking lot. I
> said, "They like you." She gave me with a puzzled look and then I pointed
> to the flock behind her. She looked embarrassed and said "They're just
> looking for a handout."

lol

> I like having chickens in the parking lot although I wish they'd move out
> of the way faster.

Sounds idyllic

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/4/2013 7:05 AM, casa bona wrote:

> Ah the islands, what a life you folks have...bet there are guinea fowl
> about too...

We might have but I haven't seen any in this town. They are pretty cute
and I wouldn't mind. Oddly enough, there are peacocks in some places.
There used to be some by my parent's house. I was visiting my parents
once and heard a loud sound - more like a scream than a bird call. My
brother said it was the peacocks that lived down the street. Sure enough
I would see the birds walking about like they owned the place.

Their call is a bit disquieting, so much so that a Makaha woman went
crazy and killed one with a baseball bat. She was 68 years old at a time
but she ran one down and bashed it's head in. That's some spunky old gal!

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...ost_it.htm l?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/4/2013 11:45 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/4/2013 7:05 AM, casa bona wrote:
>>
>> Ah the islands, what a life you folks have...bet there are guinea fowl
>> about too...

> We might have but I haven't seen any in this town. They are pretty cute
> and I wouldn't mind. Oddly enough, there are peacocks in some places.
> There used to be some by my parent's house. I was visiting my parents
> once and heard a loud sound - more like a scream than a bird call. My
> brother said it was the peacocks that lived down the street. Sure enough
> I would see the birds walking about like they owned the place.
>
> Their call is a bit disquieting, so much so that a Makaha woman went
> crazy and killed one with a baseball bat. She was 68 years old at a time
> but she ran one down and bashed it's head in. That's some spunky old gal!
>
> http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...ost_it.htm l?

Lol!

It's every bit as creepy a sound as hearing foxes in the rut, albeit
different.

Thanks for sharing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/4/2013 7:38 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 7/3/2013 9:42 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> Ahhhh but whose fried chicken ...?
>>>

>> Ha ha, I'm not going to touch that one. The only thing I have to say is
>> "god bless the chickens." I've gotten so much pleasure out of eating
>> them.
>>
>> Speaking of which, our condo is running amuck with chickens. Yesterday a
>> group of about 10 of them was following a women through our parking
>> lot. I
>> said, "They like you." She gave me with a puzzled look and then I pointed
>> to the flock behind her. She looked embarrassed and said "They're just
>> looking for a handout."

> lol
>
>> I like having chickens in the parking lot although I wish they'd move out
>> of the way faster.

> Sounds idyllic

No doubt some folks don't like the chickens all over the place. One of
my neighbors showed me a chicken that he killed with a sling shot and
roasted. My guess is that it wasn't very good or they'd all have their
gooses cooked - so to speak. :-)

I like them because they kill and eat centipedes which I really hate!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/4/2013 7:38 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Ha ha, I'm not going to touch that one. The only thing I have to say is
>>> "god bless the chickens." I've gotten so much pleasure out of eating
>>> them.
>>>
>>> Speaking of which, our condo is running amuck with chickens. Yesterday a
>>> group of about 10 of them was following a women through our parking
>>> lot. I
>>> said, "They like you." She gave me with a puzzled look and then I
>>> pointed
>>> to the flock behind her. She looked embarrassed and said "They're just
>>> looking for a handout."

>> lol
>>
>>> I like having chickens in the parking lot although I wish they'd move
>>> out
>>> of the way faster.

>> Sounds idyllic
>>

> No doubt some folks don't like the chickens all over the place. One of my
> neighbors showed me a chicken that he killed with a sling shot and
> roasted. My guess is that it wasn't very good or they'd all have their
> gooses cooked - so to speak. :-)

lol true ))

> I like them because they kill and eat centipedes which I really hate!

Sounds fair enough to me, at least they are earning their keep

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

casa bona wrote:

> On 7/4/2013 11:01 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> > I like having chickens in the parking lot although I wish they'd move
> > out of the way faster.

> Ah the islands, what a life you folks have...bet there are guinea fowl
> about too...

And they eat guinea pigs in Equador. People there have them running around
the yard like chickens until it's dinner time.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

dsi1 wrote:

> On 7/4/2013 7:05 AM, casa bona wrote:
> >
> > Ah the islands, what a life you folks have...bet there are guinea fowl
> > about too...

> We might have but I haven't seen any in this town. They are pretty cute
> and I wouldn't mind. Oddly enough, there are peacocks in some places.
> There used to be some by my parent's house. I was visiting my parents
> once and heard a loud sound - more like a scream than a bird call. My
> brother said it was the peacocks that lived down the street. Sure enough
> I would see the birds walking about like they owned the place.
>
> Their call is a bit disquieting, so much so that a Makaha woman went
> crazy and killed one with a baseball bat. She was 68 years old at a time
> but she ran one down and bashed it's head in. That's some spunky old gal!
>
> http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...ost_it.htm l?

I'm wondering if she might have gotten a lesser charge by claiming "hunting
without a license?" :-O

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> On 7/4/2013 7:05 AM, casa bona wrote:
>> >
>> > Ah the islands, what a life you folks have...bet there are guinea fowl
>> > about too...

>> We might have but I haven't seen any in this town. They are pretty cute
>> and I wouldn't mind. Oddly enough, there are peacocks in some places.
>> There used to be some by my parent's house. I was visiting my parents
>> once and heard a loud sound - more like a scream than a bird call. My
>> brother said it was the peacocks that lived down the street. Sure enough
>> I would see the birds walking about like they owned the place.
>>
>> Their call is a bit disquieting, so much so that a Makaha woman went
>> crazy and killed one with a baseball bat. She was 68 years old at a time
>> but she ran one down and bashed it's head in. That's some spunky old gal!
>>
>> http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...ost_it.htm l?

> I'm wondering if she might have gotten a lesser charge by claiming
> "hunting
> without a license?" :-O

We used to live next door to a huge garden that had peacocks. They don't
half make a racket!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/4/2013 12:11 PM, Gary wrote:
> casa bona wrote:
>>
>> On 7/4/2013 11:01 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>>> I like having chickens in the parking lot although I wish they'd move
>>> out of the way faster.

>> Ah the islands, what a life you folks have...bet there are guinea fowl
>> about too...

> And they eat guinea pigs in Equador. People there have them running around
> the yard like chickens until it's dinner time.
>
> G.

I've seen that on the Tony Bourdain program, I think it was a toss up
between that and the BBQ'd iguana he had in Mexico for least palatable
main course.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/4/2013 1:48 PM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> On 7/4/2013 7:05 AM, casa bona wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah the islands, what a life you folks have...bet there are guinea fowl
>>> about too...

>> We might have but I haven't seen any in this town. They are pretty cute
>> and I wouldn't mind. Oddly enough, there are peacocks in some places.
>> There used to be some by my parent's house. I was visiting my parents
>> once and heard a loud sound - more like a scream than a bird call. My
>> brother said it was the peacocks that lived down the street. Sure enough
>> I would see the birds walking about like they owned the place.
>>
>> Their call is a bit disquieting, so much so that a Makaha woman went
>> crazy and killed one with a baseball bat. She was 68 years old at a time
>> but she ran one down and bashed it's head in. That's some spunky old gal!
>>
>> http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...ost_it.htm l?

> I'm wondering if she might have gotten a lesser charge by claiming "hunting
> without a license?" :-O
>
> G.

Do you think the fact she intended to cook it made some difference. I'd
love to know what the sentence was, or if she was convicted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/4/2013 1:59 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> We might have but I haven't seen any in this town. They are pretty cute
>>> and I wouldn't mind. Oddly enough, there are peacocks in some places.
>>> There used to be some by my parent's house. I was visiting my parents
>>> once and heard a loud sound - more like a scream than a bird call. My
>>> brother said it was the peacocks that lived down the street. Sure enough
>>> I would see the birds walking about like they owned the place.
>>>
>>> Their call is a bit disquieting, so much so that a Makaha woman went
>>> crazy and killed one with a baseball bat. She was 68 years old at a time
>>> but she ran one down and bashed it's head in. That's some spunky old
>>> gal!
>>>
>>> http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...ost_it.htm l?
>>>

>> I'm wondering if she might have gotten a lesser charge by claiming
>> "hunting
>> without a license?" :-O

> We used to live next door to a huge garden that had peacocks. They
> don't half make a racket!

That's not true at all, they screach and make a terrible noise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/4/2013 8:03 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>
>> No doubt some folks don't like the chickens all over the place. One of
>> my neighbors showed me a chicken that he killed with a sling shot and
>> roasted. My guess is that it wasn't very good or they'd all have their
>> gooses cooked - so to speak. :-)

> lol true ))
>
>> I like them because they kill and eat centipedes which I really hate!

> Sounds fair enough to me, at least they are earning their keep

The centipede can be aggressive and fast too. I've heard stories of
people being chased by them. I once let my brother and friend borrow my
van and they told me that saw a centipede inside and tried to catch it
but it was too fast and hid in the dashboard. Man, if that thing fell on
my lap, I'd have no other option than crashing into the nearest solid
object. Fear is a funny thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40vKL88UfH4

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/4/2013 9:48 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> On 7/4/2013 7:05 AM, casa bona wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah the islands, what a life you folks have...bet there are guinea fowl
>>> about too...

>> We might have but I haven't seen any in this town. They are pretty cute
>> and I wouldn't mind. Oddly enough, there are peacocks in some places.
>> There used to be some by my parent's house. I was visiting my parents
>> once and heard a loud sound - more like a scream than a bird call. My
>> brother said it was the peacocks that lived down the street. Sure enough
>> I would see the birds walking about like they owned the place.
>>
>> Their call is a bit disquieting, so much so that a Makaha woman went
>> crazy and killed one with a baseball bat. She was 68 years old at a time
>> but she ran one down and bashed it's head in. That's some spunky old gal!
>>
>> http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...ost_it.htm l?

> I'm wondering if she might have gotten a lesser charge by claiming "hunting
> without a license?" :-O
>
> G.

The prosecutor was kinda dumb. That bird was just a sassy wild bird that
got too big for it's britches. Mostly they're regarded as pests and an
evasive species. I have no idea what the basis for a lawsuit was unless
it was for killing a pretty bird that was kinda cool.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/5/2013 7:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> The centipede can be aggressive and fast too. I've heard stories of
> people being chased by them.

Just how big are the centipedes in HA??

I once let my brother and friend borrow my
> van and they told me that saw a centipede inside and tried to catch it
> but it was too fast and hid in the dashboard. Man, if that thing fell on
> my lap, I'd have no other option than crashing into the nearest solid
> object. Fear is a funny thing...

I'm that way if a bee gets in my vehicle.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/5/2013 1:45 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 7/5/2013 7:18 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> The centipede can be aggressive and fast too. I've heard stories of
>> people being chased by them.

> Just how big are the centipedes in HA??

That's a good question. My personal feelings about those critters makes
an objective estimation of their size difficult. My guess is that a big
one would be around 7". A small one would be around half that length.

> I once let my brother and friend borrow my
>> van and they told me that saw a centipede inside and tried to catch it
>> but it was too fast and hid in the dashboard. Man, if that thing fell on
>> my lap, I'd have no other option than crashing into the nearest solid
>> object. Fear is a funny thing...

> I'm that way if a bee gets in my vehicle.

I don't know why a bee should get into a car and in fact, I never knew
of that happening until I had a couple of young kids in the back seat.
Boy, those kids went hysterical. That happened several times - a most
unpleasant occurrence. That hasn't happened since the kids grew up. I
guess the bees know that they would just smash it with a water bottle
and throw it's lifeless body out the window. That's no fun for bees. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/4/2013 8:03 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> No doubt some folks don't like the chickens all over the place. One of
>>> my neighbors showed me a chicken that he killed with a sling shot and
>>> roasted. My guess is that it wasn't very good or they'd all have their
>>> gooses cooked - so to speak. :-)

>> lol true ))
>>
>>> I like them because they kill and eat centipedes which I really hate!

>> Sounds fair enough to me, at least they are earning their keep
>>

> The centipede can be aggressive and fast too. I've heard stories of people
> being chased by them. I once let my brother and friend borrow my van and
> they told me that saw a centipede inside and tried to catch it but it was
> too fast and hid in the dashboard. Man, if that thing fell on my lap, I'd
> have no other option than crashing into the nearest solid object. Fear is
> a funny thing...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40vKL88UfH4

Ugh that is awful Nasty things! How do you get rid of them?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/5/2013 11:56 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> Ugh that is awful Nasty things! How do you get rid of them?

According to Wikipedia, the Buddhists say that if you like to scare
people, you'll come back as a centipede when you die. This sounds about
right.

I'll see small ones a couple of times a year and maybe a big one every 2
years or so. Having chickens around is probably the only thing that can
keep them away. That's my belief, anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/5/2013 11:56 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Ugh that is awful Nasty things! How do you get rid of them?
>>

> According to Wikipedia, the Buddhists say that if you like to scare
> people, you'll come back as a centipede when you die. This sounds about
> right.

Oh dear I hope not

> I'll see small ones a couple of times a year and maybe a big one every 2
> years or so. Having chickens around is probably the only thing that can
> keep them away. That's my belief, anyway.

Do the chickens eat them or just scare them away?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/6/2013 11:24 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/5/2013 11:56 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Ugh that is awful Nasty things! How do you get rid of them?
>>

> According to Wikipedia, the Buddhists say that if you like to scare
> people, you'll come back as a centipede when you die. This sounds about
> right.
>
> I'll see small ones a couple of times a year and maybe a big one every 2
> years or so. Having chickens around is probably the only thing that can
> keep them away. That's my belief, anyway.

We get them her also, long red-yellow buggers and we have pest control
spray for them, as well as the even more dangerous bark scorpions.

Either one will on occasion turn up indoors, but almost always in their
writhing death throes.

It pays to be regular with spray applications and we keep a small
sprayer of commercial grade insecticide to renew thresholds and window
frames following the monsoon rains.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/6/2013 7:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 7/5/2013 11:56 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> Ugh that is awful Nasty things! How do you get rid of them?
>>>

>> According to Wikipedia, the Buddhists say that if you like to scare
>> people, you'll come back as a centipede when you die. This sounds
>> about right.

> Oh dear I hope not
>

>> I'll see small ones a couple of times a year and maybe a big one every
>> 2 years or so. Having chickens around is probably the only thing that
>> can keep them away. That's my belief, anyway.

> Do the chickens eat them or just scare them away?

The chickens eat them. Chickens are great on several different levels.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/6/2013 7:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> According to Wikipedia, the Buddhists say that if you like to scare
>>> people, you'll come back as a centipede when you die. This sounds
>>> about right.

>> Oh dear I hope not
>>

>>> I'll see small ones a couple of times a year and maybe a big one every
>>> 2 years or so. Having chickens around is probably the only thing that
>>> can keep them away. That's my belief, anyway.

>> Do the chickens eat them or just scare them away?
>>

> The chickens eat them. Chickens are great on several different levels.

Excellent) Tell me about the other levels? I have always wanted to keep
chickens but we have moved around so much with work and there would be no
one here to care for them, but once we stop moving ... I am determined to
have chickens one day, but have to confess I know little about them.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/6/2013 7:27 AM, casa bona wrote:
> On 7/6/2013 11:24 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 7/5/2013 11:56 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> Ugh that is awful Nasty things! How do you get rid of them?
>>>

>> According to Wikipedia, the Buddhists say that if you like to scare
>> people, you'll come back as a centipede when you die. This sounds about
>> right.
>>
>> I'll see small ones a couple of times a year and maybe a big one every 2
>> years or so. Having chickens around is probably the only thing that can
>> keep them away. That's my belief, anyway.

> We get them her also, long red-yellow buggers and we have pest control
> spray for them, as well as the even more dangerous bark scorpions.
>
> Either one will on occasion turn up indoors, but almost always in their
> writhing death throes.
>
> It pays to be regular with spray applications and we keep a small
> sprayer of commercial grade insecticide to renew thresholds and window
> frames following the monsoon rains.

Spraying the areas where they live would help but I rarely see them
inside the house and I'm not sure that spraying is worth the effort. I
am glad of the chicken skittering about the place. They're like a
centipede security patrol.

Speaking of which, our cat also helps with scary pests. The other day he
was playing with a large cane spider in our house. When I checked on him
later, there was spider legs scattered on the floor. Good cat!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/6/2013 7:27 AM, casa bona wrote:

>>> According to Wikipedia, the Buddhists say that if you like to scare
>>> people, you'll come back as a centipede when you die. This sounds about
>>> right.
>>>
>>> I'll see small ones a couple of times a year and maybe a big one every 2
>>> years or so. Having chickens around is probably the only thing that can
>>> keep them away. That's my belief, anyway.

>> We get them her also, long red-yellow buggers and we have pest control
>> spray for them, as well as the even more dangerous bark scorpions.
>>
>> Either one will on occasion turn up indoors, but almost always in their
>> writhing death throes.
>>
>> It pays to be regular with spray applications and we keep a small
>> sprayer of commercial grade insecticide to renew thresholds and window
>> frames following the monsoon rains.

> Spraying the areas where they live would help but I rarely see them inside
> the house and I'm not sure that spraying is worth the effort. I am glad of
> the chicken skittering about the place. They're like a centipede security
> patrol.
>
> Speaking of which, our cat also helps with scary pests. The other day he
> was playing with a large cane spider in our house. When I checked on him
> later, there was spider legs scattered on the floor. Good cat!

You are very well protected with your chickens and cat))

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/6/2013 7:46 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> The chickens eat them. Chickens are great on several different levels.

> Excellent) Tell me about the other levels? I have always wanted to
> keep chickens but we have moved around so much with work and there would
> be no one here to care for them, but once we stop moving ... I am
> determined to have chickens one day, but have to confess I know little
> about them.

They're tasty and kill nasty things. The chickens around here are wild
and don't require any care from anybody. They are entertaining as heck,
especially the little chicks walking in a line behind their mother hen.
Sometimes in the morning when I walk out to the car, they'll start to
converge towards me. It's a strange feeling to see a bunch of animals
moving towards you like that. It raises some primeval alarm and for a
few seconds, you wonder what their motives are. Of course, all they want
is a handout.

Chickens and birds are pretty much all that's left of the mighty
dinosaurs that ruled the earth 100 million years or so. Our ancestors
used to skitter about the feet of these kings of the earth, trying not
to get stepped on. Well, things have certainly changed - and it could
change again before it's all over.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/6/2013 7:46 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>>> The chickens eat them. Chickens are great on several different levels.

>> Excellent) Tell me about the other levels? I have always wanted to
>> keep chickens but we have moved around so much with work and there would
>> be no one here to care for them, but once we stop moving ... I am
>> determined to have chickens one day, but have to confess I know little
>> about them.

> They're tasty and kill nasty things. The chickens around here are wild and
> don't require any care from anybody. They are entertaining as heck,
> especially the little chicks walking in a line behind their mother hen.
> Sometimes in the morning when I walk out to the car, they'll start to
> converge towards me. It's a strange feeling to see a bunch of animals
> moving towards you like that. It raises some primeval alarm and for a few
> seconds, you wonder what their motives are. Of course, all they want is a
> handout.
>
> Chickens and birds are pretty much all that's left of the mighty dinosaurs
> that ruled the earth 100 million years or so. Our ancestors used to
> skitter about the feet of these kings of the earth, trying not to get
> stepped on. Well, things have certainly changed - and it could change
> again before it's all over.

Heh you could be right Mr D)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/6/2013 11:48 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/6/2013 7:27 AM, casa bona wrote:

>>> According to Wikipedia, the Buddhists say that if you like to scare
>>> people, you'll come back as a centipede when you die. This sounds about
>>> right.
>>>
>>> I'll see small ones a couple of times a year and maybe a big one every 2
>>> years or so. Having chickens around is probably the only thing that can
>>> keep them away. That's my belief, anyway.

>> We get them her also, long red-yellow buggers and we have pest control
>> spray for them, as well as the even more dangerous bark scorpions.
>>
>> Either one will on occasion turn up indoors, but almost always in their
>> writhing death throes.
>>
>> It pays to be regular with spray applications and we keep a small
>> sprayer of commercial grade insecticide to renew thresholds and window
>> frames following the monsoon rains.

> Spraying the areas where they live would help but I rarely see them
> inside the house and I'm not sure that spraying is worth the effort. I
> am glad of the chicken skittering about the place. They're like a
> centipede security patrol.

That's fantastic, a real cooperative ecosystem you have there!

> Speaking of which, our cat also helps with scary pests. The other day he
> was playing with a large cane spider in our house. When I checked on him
> later, there was spider legs scattered on the floor. Good cat!

Oh I've seen those, big scary looking buggers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlbrW55xgX8
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes

On 7/6/2013 8:19 AM, casa bona wrote:
> On 7/6/2013 11:48 AM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> We get them her also, long red-yellow buggers and we have pest control
>>> spray for them, as well as the even more dangerous bark scorpions.
>>>
>>> Either one will on occasion turn up indoors, but almost always in their
>>> writhing death throes.
>>>
>>> It pays to be regular with spray applications and we keep a small
>>> sprayer of commercial grade insecticide to renew thresholds and window
>>> frames following the monsoon rains.

>> Spraying the areas where they live would help but I rarely see them
>> inside the house and I'm not sure that spraying is worth the effort. I
>> am glad of the chicken skittering about the place. They're like a
>> centipede security patrol.

> That's fantastic, a real cooperative ecosystem you have there!
>
>> Speaking of which, our cat also helps with scary pests. The other day he
>> was playing with a large cane spider in our house. When I checked on him
>> later, there was spider legs scattered on the floor. Good cat!

> Oh I've seen those, big scary looking buggers.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlbrW55xgX8

Cane spiders have the worst PR! They try to stay away from humans but
they do raise a fuss when they are spotted. Mostly, they're a victim of
our primeval fears. In some cultures, it's bad luck to kill a spider or
gecko in the house because they eat unwanted critters. Our fears of
large spiders is so great that we're willing to tempt fate to ease
ourselves. That's the breaks.