Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.recipes
Marcella Peek Marcella Peek is offline

Default 11 secret herbs and spices?

In article >, casa bona > wrote:

> I've seen a few stabs at getting the KFC formula down, and this one's
> interesting:
>

> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_C...erbs_and_S pi
> ces
>
> Ron Douglas, a former JP Morgan employee who now tries to reverse
> engineer recipes from chain restaurants, thinks he can create a KFC
> replica so good that no one will be able to tell the difference. Ron's
> recipe is:
>
> 1 teaspoon ground oregano
> 1 teaspoon chili powder
> 1 teaspoon ground sage
> 1 teaspoon dried basil
> 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
> 1 teaspoon pepper
> 2 teaspoons salt
> 2 tablespoons paprika
> 1 teaspoon onion salt
> 1 teaspoon garlic powder
> 2 tablespoons Accent (an MSG-based seasoning)
>
> Or you can spend 7 minutes with these guys and a slightly different
> spice mix:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RK9ORaPfks
>
> Lol, you have to love the internet...

In the 1970's when I first started cooking and collecting recipes there
was an article in our newspaper food section about one persons quest to
duplicate Kentucky Fried Chicken. The author claimed that he'd shown his
recipe to Colonel Sanders and that he'd smiled and said that this recipe
was pretty close.

I have no idea if the dry tomato soup mixes are still available (or how
they might have changed over time), but here it is:

3 C flour
1 T paprika
2 envelopes tomato cup a soup
2 packages italian dressing mix
3 lb cut up chicken

Mix together dry ingredients. Add chicken pieces and shake to coat
well. Deep fry until golden and place on baking sheet. Brush chicken
pieces with melted butter and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

- - - - -

marcella