Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Default Baja Fish Tacos Recipe

Baja Fish Tacos

February 2007
Baja Fish Tacos

Yunhee Kim enlarge
By: Teri Tsang Barrett
Part of Alfresco Fiesta
Baja Fish Tacos and more!

Cod not available? Try a firm white fish like red snapper, tilapia or
catfish instead.

* 4 Servings
*
* Prep 30 min
*
* Cook 20 min

Ingredients:

* 2 cups shredded red cabbage
* 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
* 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons red salsa
* Salt
* 1/3 cup sour cream
* 2 cups cornmeal
* 3 large eggs
* 1 pound cod, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
* Vegetable oil, for frying
* Eight 6-inch soft corn tortillas

Spice it up
Use chipotle salsa for great smoky flavor.
Directions:

1.

In a medium bowl, toss the cabbage, cilantro, 1/4 cup salsa and
salt to taste. In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and
remaining 3 tablespoons salsa. Set both aside.
2.

In a shallow dish, whisk together the cornmeal and 1 tablespoon
salt. In another shallow dish, beat the eggs with a fork. Coat the
fish slices in the cornmeal, then in the egg, then in the cornmeal
again, and place on a plate.
3.

In a medium cast-iron or other heavy skillet, pour the oil to a
depth of 1-1/2 inches and heat over medium heat until the surface
ripples, about 2 minutes. Add about a third of the fish slices to the
skillet and cook, turning once, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer
with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with the
remaining fish slices.
4.

In a large skillet, warm the tortillas on both sides over high
heat. Spread about 1 teaspoon sour cream sauce on a tortilla, then top
with a few pieces fish and a heaping spoonful of the slaw and fold
over. Repeat with the remaining tacos.

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes...aja-Fish-Tacos

Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablang View Post
[...]

Baja Fish Tacos Recipe - Every Day with Rachael Ray
Hello!

I think this is one of my favorite and awesome dish to eat and thanks for the recipe description and moreover thakns for sharing your thoughts..

Experienced Member

Location: UK

Hello friends

Real Baja fish tacos are nothing like what you're used to eating when it comes to Mexican food. In fact, true Mexican cuisine might be our biggest missed chance. Satisfied by the (admittedly tasty) Tex-Mex-style with its copious cheese, sour cream, pile-it-on technique, we are missing a world of subtlety shot through with spicy excitement, flavors that emphasize festivity and celebration, not fullness and indulgence--a rich tradition of indigenous techniques influences by European sensibilities, infused with a penchant for bold flavors. Myself, I know very little, but Rick Bayless is on my list of people to absorb. He has a few cookbooks and he's never let us down before.

There couldn't be a better example of anti-TexMex than fish tacos. First, because they provide us a reference point: we all know what tacos are. We have a general idea that you take a pile of meat, add fillings, eat. Baja, the finger-peninsula over the border from California, is famous for its fish version, which has been rapidly spreading to California via the chain restaurants Baja Fresh, La Salsa, and Rubio's. We set out, with the help of the esteemed Mr. Jeffrey Steingarten (via his essay "Crossing the Line"), to make our own version culled from a few different recipes, an emulation of the classic recipe of homemade tortillas, lightly fried fish, a dairy-based white sauce, and fresh, crunchy, gently spicy cabbage. It was seriously one of the best things I've ever put my lips around.

Thank for all friends
Have a nice day
Caterers London