Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fish tacos

Hello All!

There was some discussion of fish tacos lately. I don't eat fried fish
but both broiled and oven-fried fish seem to work. I seem to remember
some discussion of whether mayonnaise was used. In a sense it is in this
sauce which I like. You might want to adjust the jalapeno and cayenne to
a personal choice.

Fish Taco Sauce

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 lime, juiced

1 jalapeno pepper, minced

1 teaspoon minced capers

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

I use shredded cabbage in the taco.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> There was some discussion of fish tacos lately. I don't eat fried fish
> but both broiled and oven-fried fish seem to work. I seem to remember
> some discussion of whether mayonnaise was used. In a sense it is in this
> sauce which I like. You might want to adjust the jalapeno and cayenne to
> a personal choice.
>
> Fish Taco Sauce
>

> 1/2 cup plain yogurt
>
> 1/2 cup mayonnaise
>
> 1 lime, juiced
>
> 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
>
> 1 teaspoon minced capers
>
> 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
>
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
>
> 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
>
> 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
>

> I use shredded cabbage in the taco.

I love fish tacos. I use grilled or broiled fish, too. I also use
shredded cabbage. I like to make a sauce from a combination of home made
pico de gallo and mayonnaise and serve a wedge of lime on the side. The
only thing I will use corn tortillas for is fish tacos, though the
restaurants around here use flour.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello All!
>>
>> There was some discussion of fish tacos lately. I don't eat fried fish
>> but both broiled and oven-fried fish seem to work. I seem to remember
>> some discussion of whether mayonnaise was used. In a sense it is in this
>> sauce which I like. You might want to adjust the jalapeno and cayenne to
>> a personal choice.
>>
>> Fish Taco Sauce
>>

>> 1/2 cup plain yogurt
>>
>> 1/2 cup mayonnaise
>>
>> 1 lime, juiced
>>
>> 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
>>
>> 1 teaspoon minced capers
>>
>> 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
>>
>> 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
>>
>> 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
>>
>> 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
>>

>> I use shredded cabbage in the taco.
>>

> I love fish tacos. I use grilled or broiled fish, too. I also use shredded
> cabbage. I like to make a sauce from a combination of home made pico de
> gallo and mayonnaise and serve a wedge of lime on the side. The only
> thing I will use corn tortillas for is fish tacos, though the restaurants
> around here use flour.

Batter dipped and deep fried is my favorite. That crisp, crunchy crust
really adds to the dish. I like to just serve the fish whole in a couple of
hot, steamed corn tortillas with chilled guac, cabbage and a sprig of
cilantro. The hot-cold effect works well.

Pau;

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul wrote:

> Batter dipped and deep fried is my favorite. That crisp, crunchy crust
> really adds to the dish. I like to just serve the fish whole in a couple
> of hot, steamed corn tortillas with chilled guac, cabbage and a sprig of
> cilantro. The hot-cold effect works well.

I've never seen a whole fish served that way. Don't the bones make it tricky
to eat as a taco?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Paul wrote:
>
>> Batter dipped and deep fried is my favorite. That crisp, crunchy crust
>> really adds to the dish. I like to just serve the fish whole in a couple
>> of hot, steamed corn tortillas with chilled guac, cabbage and a sprig of
>> cilantro. The hot-cold effect works well.

> I've never seen a whole fish served that way. Don't the bones make it
> tricky to eat as a taco?

Not if you remove the bones first. Slicing the fish before serving does not
remove bones, either. That's the way they make them in Ensenada, Mexico and
where I learned how to eat 'em.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Paul wrote:
>
>> Batter dipped and deep fried is my favorite. That crisp, crunchy crust
>> really adds to the dish. I like to just serve the fish whole in a couple
>> of hot, steamed corn tortillas with chilled guac, cabbage and a sprig of
>> cilantro. The hot-cold effect works well.

> I've never seen a whole fish served that way. Don't the bones make it
> tricky to eat as a taco?

They're whole filleted fish. Penises have no bones and you manage to eat
those whole just fine.

I eat whole taco shells... those have no bones to fillet... but gotta be
careful of teeth. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> Paul wrote:
>>
>>> Batter dipped and deep fried is my favorite. That crisp, crunchy crust
>>> really adds to the dish. I like to just serve the fish whole in a
>>> couple
>>> of hot, steamed corn tortillas with chilled guac, cabbage and a sprig of
>>> cilantro. The hot-cold effect works well.

>> I've never seen a whole fish served that way. Don't the bones make it
>> tricky to eat as a taco?
>>

> Not if you remove the bones first. Slicing the fish before serving does
> not remove bones, either. That's the way they make them in Ensenada,
> Mexico and where I learned how to eat 'em.

Oh wait, I get it now. You filet the fish first and serve it in long strips
as opposed to slicing it in little bits after cooking like some people do.
I assumed you knew you don' eat the skin, scales, fins and eyeballs. Silly
me.

Perhaps this is why you don't like fish tacos? You do cook the fish, right?
Fish is dead first, right?

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul wrote:

> Oh wait, I get it now. You filet the fish first and serve it in long
> strips as opposed to slicing it in little bits after cooking like some
> people do. I assumed you knew you don' eat the skin, scales, fins and
> eyeballs. Silly me.

Hey, YOU'RE the one who said it was whole fish. That means with the head
attached and the skeleton intact, only the viscera, scales, and fins
removed, as in the deep-fried whole fish served in Chinese and Thai
restaurants, or roasted whole fish as served pretty much worldwide. Your
description above is not even NEAR "whole fish." You're deep-frying fish
fillets; that's a completely different kettle of....uh...fish.

> Perhaps this is why you don't like fish tacos? You do cook the fish,
> right? Fish is dead first, right?

Who said I didn't like fish tacos? I lived in San Diego for eleven years!

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> They're whole filleted fish.

If they're filleted, they're not WHOLE, dumbass. You didn't even have a
GLIMMER of a clue in your head when you wrote that, did you?

> Penises have no bones and you manage to eat those whole just fine.

You know perfectly well that most mammals have penis bones. You taste-test
your cat's baculum on a regular basis.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:32:03 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> They're whole filleted fish.

>If they're filleted, they're not WHOLE, dumbass. You didn't even have a
>GLIMMER of a clue in your head when you wrote that, did you?

Oh, come on Bob... even *I* could read between the lines and figure
out he meant whole fish filets.

This is coming from someone who is now considering forcing myself to
like fish (I don't like fish) tacos. I actually had a battered and
fried (shellfish) fish taco that I liked at Pacific Fresh a couple of
weeks ago.

Believe it or not, that was my first shrimp taco and the first time
I'd eaten at Pacific Fresh. The batter was very light, not as heavy
as I've seen on other fish tacos (more like fish & chips batter). I'd
do it over, but tell them I want it grilled instead. Pacific Fresh
seems to be very accommodating! I'm going to eat there again, but the
block it is on has even more restaurants that I haven't tried yet. So
far, we've eaten at five of them and there are a lot more to go! We
finally branched out from Park Chow and (so far) love our gustatory
adventure.

I know Lin is thinking about visiting SF in the near future. Please
tell her this "delicious" area is literally two blocks away from the
Academy of Sciences and there are even more restaurants if you go to
the corner of 9th and Irving and walk in any direction (for only a
block).

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> Paul wrote:
>>
>>> Batter dipped and deep fried is my favorite. That crisp, crunchy crust
>>> really adds to the dish. I like to just serve the fish whole in a couple
>>> of hot, steamed corn tortillas with chilled guac, cabbage and a sprig of
>>> cilantro. The hot-cold effect works well.

>> I've never seen a whole fish served that way. Don't the bones make it
>> tricky to eat as a taco?
>>

> Not if you remove the bones first. Slicing the fish before serving does not
> remove bones, either. That's the way they make them in Ensenada, Mexico and
> where I learned how to eat 'em.

I had them in Ensenada for the first time, too. From one of those little
shacks over near the blow hole. IIRC, it was chunks of fried fish.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Paul wrote:
>
>> Oh wait, I get it now. You filet the fish first and serve it in long
>> strips as opposed to slicing it in little bits after cooking like some
>> people do. I assumed you knew you don' eat the skin, scales, fins and
>> eyeballs. Silly me.

> Hey, YOU'RE the one who said it was whole fish. That means with the head
> attached and the skeleton intact, only the viscera, scales, and fins
> removed, as in the deep-fried whole fish served in Chinese and Thai
> restaurants, or roasted whole fish as served pretty much worldwide. Your
> description above is not even NEAR "whole fish." You're deep-frying fish
> fillets; that's a completely different kettle of....uh...fish.

Well I assumed you knew we were talking filets.

>> Perhaps this is why you don't like fish tacos? You do cook the fish,
>> right? Fish is dead first, right?

> Who said I didn't like fish tacos? I lived in San Diego for eleven years!

Well then you should now better. Great Mexican food in SD. Fish tacos are
either served "Ensenada style" or the more common gringo method of slicing
the fish before serving. I've never seen a Asian steamed fish style taco so
I assumed you and everyone else would know I meant filets.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Boob Twilly" masturbates:
>> Paul wrote:
>>
>>> Oh wait, I get it now. You filet the fish first and serve it in long
>>> strips as opposed to slicing it in little bits after cooking like some
>>> people do. I assumed you knew you don' eat the skin, scales, fins and
>>> eyeballs. Silly me.

>> Hey, YOU'RE the one who said it was whole fish. That means with the head
>> attached and the skeleton intact, only the viscera, scales, and fins
>> removed, as in the deep-fried whole fish served in Chinese and Thai
>> restaurants, or roasted whole fish as served pretty much worldwide.

WTF are you to dictate the critera of what constitutes whole fish, where
does one draw the line, if you remove the guts, fins, and scales it
certainly is no longer whole fish, and the WWW ain't only in China... in
fact to be 100% whole fish it had better be still swimming... you friggin'
shit for brains ugli baboon asshole looking douchebag and that schmoo
looking slut you ride in on... she does resemble one of those inflatable
whales kids ride in the surf. LOL

But this is about cooked fish deep fried whole fish, not picene anatomy, so
all those parts one considers inedible (by personal choice, regardless slant
or round eye) can be removed and it is still whole fish... in fact one can
grind all the portions one considers edible and make it into fish cakes and
it still can be said they used the whole fish. Any portions the fish monger
would remove from a whole fish does not render it less than a whole fish,
not for culinary purposes... the monkey ass faced twilly and his blow-up
schmoo slut are obviously chum suckers.... what's that slut's name, Lin...
that's just short for Ling Cod... that ding-a-ling does kinda have a
whiskery bottom feeder puss, she sure hooked an ugli piece of garbage. <G>

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul wrote:

> Well I assumed you knew we were talking filets.

<snip>
> I've never seen a Asian steamed fish style taco so I assumed you and
> everyone else would know I meant filets.

If you hadn't written "whole fish," I *would* have assumed you meant
fillets. That's what made me curious.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon got all excited:

> whiskery bottom feeder puss, she sure hooked an ugli piece of garbage. <G>

Poor Sheldon, sitting in his boxer shorts at the computer, stroking whatever
he happens to find in his lap... Sometimes it's a cat.

Bob

Fish Tacos International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 11-07-2007 05:10 AM
REC: Fish Tacos Pete Romfh Diabetic 1 05-03-2006 11:14 PM
Fish tacos - not bad! Peter Aitken General Cooking 5 10-09-2005 11:25 AM
Fish Tacos Snowfeet1 General Cooking 7 04-11-2004 07:41 AM