Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default On that bi-level jam ...

I think we discuss this every year, but it occurs to me that unriper
fruit floats better.
The strawberries were a good buy, but as I chopped them up, they
were not as tasty as they looked; and for all that huge size *I Am Not
Impressed.* Wish some local farmers grew strawberries around here. I
have a few plants I'm babying, but hardly enuf for a pot of jam.
And yes, this first batch turned out to be my famous layered jam.
It's all good...
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Joneses > wrote:

> I think we discuss this every year, but it occurs to me that unriper
> fruit floats better.
> The strawberries were a good buy, but as I chopped them up, they
> were not as tasty as they looked; and for all that huge size *I Am Not
> Impressed.* Wish some local farmers grew strawberries around here. I
> have a few plants I'm babying, but hardly enuf for a pot of jam.
> And yes, this first batch turned out to be my famous layered jam.
> It's all good...
> Edrena

Local strawberries are about 8 weeks away and I DO know what you mean
about beeyuteeful and tasteless berries. Blech! Since the classes I've
taught were in February and March, (and May, coming up) I used frozen,
thawed berries. Jam was good. Did you stir for a full five minutes
after your jam was off the heat and before jarring? That helps.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> The Joneses > wrote:
>
> > I think we discuss this every year, but it occurs to me that unriper
> > fruit floats better.
> > The strawberries were a good buy, but as I chopped them up, they
> > were not as tasty as they looked; and for all that huge size *I Am Not
> > Impressed.* Wish some local farmers grew strawberries around here. I
> > have a few plants I'm babying, but hardly enuf for a pot of jam.
> > And yes, this first batch turned out to be my famous layered jam.
> > It's all good...
> > Edrena

> Local strawberries are about 8 weeks away and I DO know what you mean
> about beeyuteeful and tasteless berries. Blech! Since the classes I've
> taught were in February and March, (and May, coming up) I used frozen,
> thawed berries. Jam was good. Did you stir for a full five minutes
> after your jam was off the heat and before jarring? That helps.

Stir for 5 min? I do let cool for 5 min, but stirring makes more sense. I
will remember to use the better next time, the foam was pretty bad the last
batch.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Joneses > wrote:

> > thawed berries. Jam was good. Did you stir for a full five minutes
> > after your jam was off the heat and before jarring? That helps.
> >

> Stir for 5 min? I do let cool for 5 min, but stirring makes more sense. I
> will remember to use the better next time, the foam was pretty bad the last
> batch.
> Edrena

Stir. Five minutes - time it. I have a fine-mesh flat skimmer that I
use for skimming foam. Rather unconventionally, though, I use the
bottom/back of it, setting it on top of the foam. You'd be amazed at
what it picks up. I give it a fast rinse and running water and a couple
shakes or whacks to get the water off and repeat as necessary. Works
pretty slick. Sometimes I'll get the last little bits off after it's
been jarred, with a small spoon.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
>I think we discuss this every year, but it occurs to me that unriper
> fruit floats better.
> The strawberries were a good buy, but as I chopped them up, they
> were not as tasty as they looked; and for all that huge size *I Am Not
> Impressed.* Wish some local farmers grew strawberries around here. I
> have a few plants I'm babying, but hardly enuf for a pot of jam.
> And yes, this first batch turned out to be my famous layered jam.
> It's all good...
> Edrena

When I first read the subject line I thought you were talking about layering
flavors of jam in the same jar.

I have an (obviously) old cookbooklet (by the Certo people I think) that has
directions for doing this. The idea was that you filled the jar a third
full, let it cool (at an angle if you wanted your jars to be extra fancy),
then filled another third with a different flavor, and finally using a third
flavor. Then you put your paraffin on the jars.

Actually, thinking about it, if you were willing to dump any jars that
showed the slightest sign of mold, you could still do this. Maybe covering
the jars carefully in between while they cool. I wonder how much the layers
would melt and mix during BWB processing at the end. Any health concerns
beyond the obviously increased chance of molding?

Personally I'm not willing to try it, mostly because I think it would be a
lot more work than warranted by the possible results, but I know there are
people who would find layered jars of jam really special and impressive.

Hmm. If you had help in the kitchen so that you made one flavor and your
coworker made another, could you pour them into jars so that they layer?
Then if you're careful moving the jars into and out of the BWB, would you
still end up with layered jam?

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
et...
> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
> >I think we discuss this every year, but it occurs to me that unriper
> > fruit floats better.
> > The strawberries were a good buy, but as I chopped them up, they
> > were not as tasty as they looked; and for all that huge size *I Am Not
> > Impressed.* Wish some local farmers grew strawberries around here. I
> > have a few plants I'm babying, but hardly enuf for a pot of jam.
> > And yes, this first batch turned out to be my famous layered jam.
> > It's all good...
> > Edrena

> When I first read the subject line I thought you were talking about

layering
> flavors of jam in the same jar.
>
> I have an (obviously) old cookbooklet (by the Certo people I think) that

has
> directions for doing this. The idea was that you filled the jar a third
> full, let it cool (at an angle if you wanted your jars to be extra fancy),
> then filled another third with a different flavor, and finally using a

third
> flavor. Then you put your paraffin on the jars.
>
> Actually, thinking about it, if you were willing to dump any jars that
> showed the slightest sign of mold, you could still do this. Maybe

covering
> the jars carefully in between while they cool. I wonder how much the

layers
> would melt and mix during BWB processing at the end. Any health concerns
> beyond the obviously increased chance of molding?
>
> Personally I'm not willing to try it, mostly because I think it would be a
> lot more work than warranted by the possible results, but I know there are
> people who would find layered jars of jam really special and impressive.
>
> Hmm. If you had help in the kitchen so that you made one flavor and your
> coworker made another, could you pour them into jars so that they layer?
> Then if you're careful moving the jars into and out of the BWB, would you
> still end up with layered jam?
>
> Anny

I already tried this with blueberry and peach. Took pics and showed them to
Barb - neither of us was really all that impressed by what it looked like,
but the jam was good!

I had 2 batches on the go at the same time, and thought I'd try it (because
the combined flavour, as much as I love it, doesn't look like much). I
tried it with 2 or 3 jars. I let each layer cool a bit, but not completely.
And yes, even after the BWB, the jams were layered.

I wouldn't do it again...too much work and not impressive enough. I'll see
if I can dig up those pics, in you're interested,

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:

> coworker made another, could you pour them into jars so that they layer?

> > Then if you're careful moving the jars into and out of the BWB, would you
> > still end up with layered jam?
> > Anny
> >

> I already tried this with blueberry and peach. Took pics and showed them to
>
> Barb - neither of us was really all that impressed by what it looked like,
> but the jam was good!
> I had 2 batches on the go at the same time, and thought I'd try it (because
> the combined flavour, as much as I love it, doesn't look like much). I
> tried it with 2 or 3 jars. I let each layer cool a bit, but not completely.
> And yes, even after the BWB, the jams were layered.
> I wouldn't do it again...too much work and not impressive enough. I'll see
> if I can dig up those pics, in you're interested,
> Kathi

Yes of course we're interested! But it does sound like a lot of work if it's not
fab. That's me a strawberry/kiwi jam. Not fab enuf for me to make. Strawberry
pineapple maybe....
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:
>
> > coworker made another, could you pour them into jars so that they layer?

> > > Then if you're careful moving the jars into and out of the BWB, would

you
> > > still end up with layered jam?
> > > Anny
> > >

> > I already tried this with blueberry and peach. Took pics and showed

them to

> > Barb - neither of us was really all that impressed by what it looked

like,
> > but the jam was good!
> > I had 2 batches on the go at the same time, and thought I'd try it

(because
> > the combined flavour, as much as I love it, doesn't look like much). I
> > tried it with 2 or 3 jars. I let each layer cool a bit, but not

completely.
> > And yes, even after the BWB, the jams were layered.
> > I wouldn't do it again...too much work and not impressive enough.

I'll see
> > if I can dig up those pics, in you're interested,
> > Kathi

> Yes of course we're interested! But it does sound like a lot of work if

it's not
> fab. That's me a strawberry/kiwi jam. Not fab enuf for me to make.

Strawberry
> pineapple maybe....
> Edrena

now, see.....everyone who gets my (unlayered) Strawberry Kiwi Jam says it's
their favourite, so I do it

Kathi, lookin for that pic now.....

DEFCOM 1 RED LEVEL EMERGENCY DIRE STRAIGHTS MURDER LEVEL TYRANY ALERT nation of fools General Cooking 0 03-01-2013 07:33 PM
pH level Lou[_1_] Winemaking 7 31-03-2009 08:28 PM
Take wine to the next level [email protected] Wine 0 18-07-2007 08:47 PM
testing alcohol level [email protected] Winemaking 5 05-10-2006 05:57 PM
"Aseptic level" frederick ploegman Winemaking 2 23-01-2004 01:30 PM