Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'[_1_] Melba's Jammin'[_1_] is offline

Default On that bi-level jam ...

In article >,
The Joneses > wrote:

> > thawed berries. Jam was good. Did you stir for a full five minutes
> > after your jam was off the heat and before jarring? That helps.
> >

> Stir for 5 min? I do let cool for 5 min, but stirring makes more sense. I
> will remember to use the better next time, the foam was pretty bad the last
> batch.
> Edrena

Stir. Five minutes - time it. I have a fine-mesh flat skimmer that I
use for skimming foam. Rather unconventionally, though, I use the
bottom/back of it, setting it on top of the foam. You'd be amazed at
what it picks up. I give it a fast rinse and running water and a couple
shakes or whacks to get the water off and repeat as necessary. Works
pretty slick. Sometimes I'll get the last little bits off after it's
been jarred, with a small spoon.
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12