Judith Cook

Default Onion Jelly?

I love the jalepeno jelly...and I was wondering if anyone has made anything
like Onion jelly? I can think of gobs of things that it would taste great
on....

--
Judith

"The older I get....the less I know!"

qahtan

Did you google, I just saw lots there, qahtan

"Judith Cook" > wrote in message
> I love the jalepeno jelly...and I was wondering if anyone has made

anything
> like Onion jelly? I can think of gobs of things that it would taste great
> on....
>
> --
> Judith
>
> "The older I get....the less I know!"

The Joneses

Judith Cook wrote:

> I love the jalepeno jelly...and I was wondering if anyone has made anything
> like Onion jelly? I can think of gobs of things that it would taste great
> on....

I did make a coupla batches of garlic jelly one year. But then I got sugar
intolerant & ya can only add so much to bbq sauces, roast glazes, stir frys,
etc. Pretty well received by friends & family tho. The garlic recipe was not
garlicky enuf for me. It mellows out considerable in the cooking & the sweet.
Might wanta consider using No Sugar Needed pectin (one can add up to 3 cups of
sugar anyway) and use 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar. That level of sweetness is nice
for me in the latest batch of cherry jam. The regular jelly recipes are *very*
sweet IMO.
Are you keeping a canning journal/notebook? I've found mine to be
invaluable, especially with batches of beef jerky where I juggle the
ingredients constantly.
Edrena, with due respect to St. Sal of the Sea

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Judith Cook"
> wrote:

> I love the jalepeno jelly...and I was wondering if anyone has made
> anything like Onion jelly? I can think of gobs of things that it
> would taste great on....

Pretty sure I can find a recipe, Judith. I've made Horseradish Jelly to
great acclaim by my sister's neighbor. Roast Beast Sandwich.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

The Ruzicka Family

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Judith Cook"
> > wrote:
>
> > I love the jalepeno jelly...and I was wondering if anyone has made
> > anything like Onion jelly? I can think of gobs of things that it
> > would taste great on....

> Pretty sure I can find a recipe, Judith. I've made Horseradish Jelly to
> great acclaim by my sister's neighbor. Roast Beast Sandwich.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

Oooh! Horseradish Jelly? Can you post the recipe? Pretty please?

P. Ruzicka

Kathi

The Joneses > wrote in message >...
> Judith Cook wrote:
>
> > I love the jalepeno jelly...and I was wondering if anyone has made anything
> > like Onion jelly? I can think of gobs of things that it would taste great
> > on....

> I did make a coupla batches of garlic jelly one year. But then I got sugar
> intolerant & ya can only add so much to bbq sauces, roast glazes, stir frys,
> etc. Pretty well received by friends & family tho. The garlic recipe was not
> garlicky enuf for me. It mellows out considerable in the cooking & the sweet.
> Might wanta consider using No Sugar Needed pectin (one can add up to 3 cups of
> sugar anyway) and use 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar.

No kidding! I did a couple batches of garlic jelly a few years ago
too, and I tell ya, it was so sweet! Infact, eventually there were
crystalized chunks of sugar in the bottoms of the jars. Yuck! I'd
like to know if anyone has found a better recipe, with a more garlic
less sweet taste.

This year's experiment will be basil jelly.......

Kathi

That level of sweetness is nice
> for me in the latest batch of cherry jam. The regular jelly recipes are *very*
> sweet IMO.
> Are you keeping a canning journal/notebook? I've found mine to be
> invaluable, especially with batches of beef jerky where I juggle the
> ingredients constantly.
> Edrena, with due respect to St. Sal of the Sea

Bob (this one)

Kathi wrote:

> The Joneses > wrote in message news:<40E1A451.6A388=

>=20
>>Judith Cook wrote:
>>
>>>I love the jalepeno jelly...and I was wondering if anyone has made any=

thing
>>>like Onion jelly? I can think of gobs of things that it would taste gr=

eat
>>>on....

Cooked about 8 pounds of thinly sliced onions on low heat until=20
browned (like an hour or more) with no fat. Added a bit of white wine=20
to deglaze the pan and finished it with water and (a lot of) sugar to=20
the gelling point (I actually took it to 222=B0F as I always do) and=20
bottled it. BWB for 15.

Luscious. Gave most as gifts.

>>I did make a coupla batches of garlic jelly one year. But then I got su=

gar
>>intolerant & ya can only add so much to bbq sauces, roast glazes, stir =

frys,
>>etc. Pretty well received by friends & family tho. The garlic recipe =

was not
>>garlicky enuf for me. It mellows out considerable in the cooking & the =

sweet.
>>Might wanta consider using No Sugar Needed pectin (one can add up to 3 =

cups of
>>sugar anyway) and use 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar.=20

Run some garlic thorough the meat grinder with a small plate. Add it=20
with about a minute to go in the cooking. It'll be stronger and the=20
little pieces are pretty.

> No kidding! I did a couple batches of garlic jelly a few years ago
> too, and I tell ya, it was so sweet! Infact, eventually there were
> crystalized chunks of sugar in the bottoms of the jars. Yuck! I'd
> like to know if anyone has found a better recipe, with a more garlic
> less sweet taste.
>=20
> This year's experiment will be basil jelly.......

Do it like any infused jelly. I made a basil jelly from an infusion a=20
few years ago that was wonderful. Let me restate that. It tasted=20
wonderful. It was the same color as a jeep on M*A*S*H...

Tried a bunch of other herbal flavors like orange-rosemary,=20
apple-parsley, sage (from a sage tea, with salt, sugar and pectin) and=20
a few others I can't recall. My biggest problem was to figure out what=20
to serve them with. Every one works well with cream cheese as a spread=20
or dip. Glazed birds with them on their way out of the oven. Salad=20
dressings.

Pastorio

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "The Ruzicka Family"
> wrote:
(snip)
> > Pretty sure I can find a recipe, Judith. I've made Horseradish Jelly to
> > great acclaim by my sister's neighbor. Roast Beast Sandwich.
> > --
> > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.
> >

> Oooh! Horseradish Jelly? Can you post the recipe? Pretty please?
>
> P. Ruzicka

Here are a couple. I make the first one.
{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Horseradish Jelly

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
3 C. granulated sugar
1/2 C. prepared horseradish
1/2 C. apple cider vinegar
6 oz. liquid pectin

In a large saucepan, combine sugar, horseradish and vinegar over medium
heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture
comes to a boil. Stir in pectin. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat. Skim foam from top of jelly. Pour into sterilized
jars and seal. Yield: about 3 C. jelly. Delicious with meat or cream
cheese/crackers.

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Nancy Dooley to rec.food.cooking, 8/11/95

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 2384 Calories; 0g Fat (0%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 618g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol;
122mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit; 41 Other Carbohydrates
_____

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Horseradish Jelly/2

Recipe By: Old General Foods booklet, "Gourmet Preserves"
Serving Size: 4
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
1 cup grated fresh horseradish
1 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon minced fresh sage
3 1/4 cups sugar
1 pouch Certo liquid pectin (3 oz)

Place horseradish, vinegar, sage, and sugar in heavy saucepan. Cook
over high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a hard boil.
Add fruit pectin and bring to a full boil, stirring constantly. Boil
for 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim off foam with metal spoon.
Immediately pour into prepared 1/2-pint jars (4), seal and process in
boiling water bath 5 minutes.
‹‹‹‹‹

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 637 Calories; 0g Fat (0% calories
from fat); 0g Protein; 166g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 2mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 10 1/2 Fruit; 11 Other Carbohydrates
_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

soTWEEDLEjourn

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> (Kathi) wrote:
>

> > This year's experiment will be basil jelly.......
> >
> > Kathi

> Just like mint jelly -- smash the herbs, make the infusion, strain, and
> do the pectin thang. My Purple Basil Jelly won first place in 1999 and
> second in 2000 and 2001 at our State Fair. A friend from r.f.cooking
> loves it on a peanut butter sandwich. Go figure. I don't eat the stuff
> myself.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

I do a rose petal jam that 's kind of similar.

Instead of discarding the petals after the infusion, I keep them in even
though at this point the petals are a non-descript grey colour. When I add
the lemon juice the petals return to the wonderful almost magenta colour!
Then I finish the recipe and voila! A flavour that's a cross between the
fragrance of roses and raspberries and tastes the same.

Note: the recipe I use is one that comes with liquid pectin (in this case
Certo) and was origionally written for mint jelly. I modified it only to
incorporate the petals and when measuring out the liquid I remove the petals
first. After obtaining the correct amount of liquid then I add the petals
back to the recipe. I've seen the petals in stores that sell rose petal
jelly and the petals were always added.

The other thing I do is add a bit more liquid than the recipe calls for and
then simmer to reduce thus intensifying the flavour through reduction.

...and I use wild rose (rosa rugosa). Fabulous! <g>

Brian Mailman

Default Horseradish Jelly (was Onion Jelly?)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Here are a couple. I make the first one.
> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
> =

> Horseradish Jelly
> =

> Recipe By:
> Serving Size: 1
> Preparation Time: 0:00
> Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.
> =

> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
> 3 C. granulated sugar
> 1/2 C. prepared horseradish

I've got a couple roots in the fridge, what would that be shredded
fresh, ya think?

B/
> 1/2 C. apple cider vinegar
> 6 oz. liquid pectin
> =

> In a large saucepan, combine sugar, horseradish and vinegar over medium=

> heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture
> comes to a boil. Stir in pectin. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
> Remove from heat. Skim foam from top of jelly. Pour into sterilized
> jars and seal. Yield: about 3 C. jelly. Delicious with meat or cream=

> cheese/crackers.
> =

> =8B=8B=8B=8B=8B
> Notes: Nancy Dooley to rec.food.cooking, 8/11/95
> =

> =

> Per serving (excluding unknown items): 2384 Calories; 0g Fat (0%
> calories from fat); 2g Protein; 618g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol;
> 122mg Sodium
> Food Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit; 41 Other Carbohydrates
> _____
> =

> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
> =

> Horseradish Jelly/2
> =

> Recipe By: Old General Foods booklet, "Gourmet Preserves"
> Serving Size: 4
> Preparation Time: 0:00
> Categories: Canning, Preserves, Etc.
> =

> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
> 1 cup grated fresh horseradish
> 1 cup white wine vinegar
> 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh sage
> 3 1/4 cups sugar
> 1 pouch Certo liquid pectin (3 oz)
> =

> Place horseradish, vinegar, sage, and sugar in heavy saucepan. Cook
> over high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a hard boil=

=2E
> Add fruit pectin and bring to a full boil, stirring constantly. Boil
> for 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim off foam with metal spoon.
> Immediately pour into prepared 1/2-pint jars (4), seal and process in
> boiling water bath 5 minutes.
> =8B=8B=8B=8B=8B
> =

> Per serving (excluding unknown items): 637 Calories; 0g Fat (0% calorie=

> from fat); 0g Protein; 166g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 2mg Sodium
> Food Exchanges: 10 1/2 Fruit; 11 Other Carbohydrates
> _____
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Brian Mailman
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Here are a couple. I make the first one.
> > { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
> >
> > Horseradish Jelly

> I've got a couple roots in the fridge, what would that be shredded
> fresh, ya think?

More than enough. Depends, I suppose, on how big the roots are, Silly
Boy! I use shredded&chopped, no cream addition or anything. Just
plain. Note: Sister's neighbor who loved this stuff didn't think it
was very strong. Like I've said, I don't eat this stuff, I just make it.

Did up 8 half-pint jars of plain ol' apricot butter this morning,
between laundry loads. A fabulous day here today for doing darned near
anything. Next anything I'm contemplating is a nap in the back yard to
get some sun on my bod. It could happen. Unless I just bring my book
to the bed and crap out there.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, Brian Mailman
> > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>

>>>Here are a couple. I make the first one.
>>>{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>>>
>>>Horseradish Jelly

>>I've got a couple roots in the fridge, what would that be shredded
>>fresh, ya think?

> More than enough. Depends, I suppose, on how big the roots are, Silly
> Boy! I use shredded&chopped, no cream addition or anything. Just
> plain. Note: Sister's neighbor who loved this stuff didn't think it
> was very strong. Like I've said, I don't eat this stuff, I just make it.
>
> Did up 8 half-pint jars of plain ol' apricot butter this morning,
> between laundry loads. A fabulous day here today for doing darned near
> anything. Next anything I'm contemplating is a nap in the back yard to
> get some sun on my bod. It could happen. Unless I just bring my book
> to the bed and crap out there.

Great minds and all that you know. I took about a 30 minute power nap
while some stuff was processing before cooking and canning. Me and the
dawg flaked out on the bed and Miz Anne fiddled around in her art room.
Another three or four tons of "stuff" taken out of that room and we will
be able to lay the laminate floor in there. I might need to rent a 20
cubic yard dumpster for her. Wimmen and their stuff! And she has the
nerve to complain about my canning stuff.

George

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George Shirley
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, Brian Mailman
> > > wrote:

> >>I've got a couple roots in the fridge, what would that be shredded
> >>fresh, ya think?

> > More than enough. Depends, I suppose, on how big the roots are, Silly
> > Boy! I use shredded&chopped, no cream addition or anything. Just
> > plain. Note: Sister's neighbor who loved this stuff didn't think it
> > was very strong. Like I've said, I don't eat this stuff, I just make
> > it.
> >
> > Did up 8 half-pint jars of plain ol' apricot butter this morning,
> > between laundry loads. A fabulous day here today for doing darned near
> > anything. Next anything I'm contemplating is a nap in the back yard to
> > get some sun on my bod. It could happen. Unless I just bring my book
> > to the bed and crap out there.

> Great minds and all that you know. I took about a 30 minute power nap
> while some stuff was processing before cooking and canning. Me and the
> dawg flaked out on the bed and Miz Anne fiddled around in her art room.
> Another three or four tons of "stuff" taken out of that room and we will
> be able to lay the laminate floor in there. I might need to rent a 20
> cubic yard dumpster for her. Wimmen and their stuff! And she has the
> nerve to complain about my canning stuff.
>
> George

Yeah, but you've just got stuff. She's got tools. Equipment.
Supplies. That's different. :-) Give her a hey from me.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

Brian Mailman

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, Brian Mailman
> > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > > Here are a couple. I make the first one.
> > > { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
> > >
> > > Horseradish Jelly

> > I've got a couple roots in the fridge, what would that be shredded
> > fresh, ya think?

> More than enough. Depends, I suppose, on how big the roots are, Silly
> Boy!

Horseradish size.

> I use shredded&chopped, no cream addition or anything. Just
> plain.

Ah, OK. So I can just shred it as for a horseradish marmalade....

> Note: Sister's neighbor who loved this stuff didn't think it
> was very strong. Like I've said, I don't eat this stuff, I just make it.

Yar, does look like it's awfully sweet, but can't mess around with that
because it'll throw the gel off, right. Sigh.

> Did up 8 half-pint jars of plain ol' apricot butter this morning,
> between laundry loads.

I've got about 2-1/2 gallons of puree to deal with. This is going to
have be accomplished in batches. I know. You hate me.

> Unless I just bring my book to the bed and crap out there.

I'm glad I'm not channeling Gertrude Stein today.

B/
The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> Great minds and all that you know. I took about a 30 minute power nap
> while some stuff was processing before cooking and canning. Me and the
> dawg flaked out on the bed and Miz Anne fiddled around in her art room.
> Another three or four tons of "stuff" taken out of that room and we will
> be able to lay the laminate floor in there. I might need to rent a 20
> cubic yard dumpster for her. Wimmen and their stuff! And she has the
> nerve to complain about my canning stuff.

Today I put up 23 half pints & 6 pints of them famous red wine pickled b**ts.
Chopped, cleaned, etc. about a bushel of other fresh veggies for the mixed
"winter" pickle with cauliflower that I posted a while ago. That one is very
popular at the market. I added leetle teeny corns that are a hit with the
kids. I made ol'Whiskerface breakfast, lunch and supper he has the noive to
complain about piles of jars. Okay, piles and piles and piles, but all in
boxes properly labled. Mostly. Do I complain about his piles of tools?
Edrena

sarah

soTWEEDLEjourn > wrote:

> I do a rose petal jam that 's kind of similar.
>
> Instead of discarding the petals after the infusion, I keep them in even
> though at this point the petals are a non-descript grey colour. When I add
> the lemon juice the petals return to the wonderful almost magenta colour!
> Then I finish the recipe and voila! A flavour that's a cross between the
> fragrance of roses and raspberries and tastes the same.
>
> Note: the recipe I use is one that comes with liquid pectin (in this case
> Certo) and was origionally written for mint jelly. I modified it only to
> incorporate the petals and when measuring out the liquid I remove the petals
> first. After obtaining the correct amount of liquid then I add the petals
> back to the recipe. I've seen the petals in stores that sell rose petal
> jelly and the petals were always added.
>
> The other thing I do is add a bit more liquid than the recipe calls for and
> then simmer to reduce thus intensifying the flavour through reduction.
>
> ..and I use wild rose (rosa rugosa). Fabulous! <g>

I made rosepetal conserve earlier this year from an Elizabethan recipe:
the petals are cooked with the minimum amount of water and go as grey as
floor-rags. Add the sugar and the whole lot gradually goes purple/red
depending on the colour of the rose petals used. No pectin, nothing save
rosepetals (ok, a few pollen grains as well), water and sugar. It
crystallizes in the jar and looks almost like amethyst, with light
glittering on the sugar. It tastes and smells amazing -- I used old moss
roses, very strongly scented.

regards
sarah

--
NB. Note change of *usenet* email address:
'amitiel.demon.do.uk' will soon cease to function.
Judith Cook

OMG!!! I love horseradish...I would have never thought of that one!!

--
Judith

"The older I get....the less I know!"
"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Judith Cook"
> > wrote:
>
> > I love the jalepeno jelly...and I was wondering if anyone has made
> > anything like Onion jelly? I can think of gobs of things that it
> > would taste great on....

> Pretty sure I can find a recipe, Judith. I've made Horseradish Jelly to
> great acclaim by my sister's neighbor. Roast Beast Sandwich.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

Judith Cook

OMG!!! I love horseradish...I would have never thought of that one!!

--
Judith

"The older I get....the less I know!"
"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Judith Cook"
> > wrote:
>
> > I love the jalepeno jelly...and I was wondering if anyone has made
> > anything like Onion jelly? I can think of gobs of things that it
> > would taste great on....

> Pretty sure I can find a recipe, Judith. I've made Horseradish Jelly to
> great acclaim by my sister's neighbor. Roast Beast Sandwich.
> --
> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

Onion rings and an onion heart Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 55 01-05-2012 09:58 AM
It's jelly! Serene Preserving 0 27-03-2005 07:59 AM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Beer 3 27-01-2005 03:03 AM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Chocolate 0 25-01-2005 04:00 PM
Jelly Palm jelly? TM Preserving 8 26-07-2004 10:47 PM