Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Onion rings and an onion heart

Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. Several rings or more
accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. I fried in
peanut oil. I've never used it before.

http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 6:31*pm, Cheryl > wrote:

> Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. *Several rings or more
> accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. *I fried in
> peanut oil. *I've never used it before.
>
> http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

I'll be right over.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

>Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. Several rings or more
>accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. I fried in
>peanut oil. I've never used it before.
>
>http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

Looks good but I'll have mine cooked a little longer, please... I like
high brown.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2012 7:56 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
>>
>> Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. Several rings or more
>> accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. I fried in
>> peanut oil. I've never used it before.
>>
>> http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

> Looks good but I'll have mine cooked a little longer, please... I like
> high brown.

I do too but these were plenty crunchy. I think the color is due to
peanut oil. The onions were soft and totally cooked and I was shocked
at the lack of browning on most of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 4/29/2012 7:56 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Cheryl wrote:
>>>
>>> Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. Several rings or more
>>> accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. I fried in
>>> peanut oil. I've never used it before.
>>>
>>> http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

>> Looks good but I'll have mine cooked a little longer, please... I like
>> high brown.

I'll eat these. forget the high brown.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:10:26 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 4/29/2012 7:56 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Cheryl wrote:
>>>
>>> Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. Several rings or more
>>> accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. I fried in
>>> peanut oil. I've never used it before.
>>>
>>> http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

>> Looks good but I'll have mine cooked a little longer, please... I like
>> high brown.

>I do too but these were plenty crunchy. I think the color is due to
>peanut oil. The onions were soft and totally cooked and I was shocked
>at the lack of browning on most of them.

Maybe the oil needed to be hotter... peanut oil has a high smoke point
so it can withstand higher temperatures.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
> Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. Several rings or more
> accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. I fried in
> peanut oil. I've never used it before.
>
> http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

Did you use the peanut oil because of the flavor? Did it add a nice flavor?

I've never had a peanut-oil onion ring before.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On 4/29/2012 7:56 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > Cheryl wrote:
> >>
> >> Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. Several rings or more
> >> accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. I fried in
> >> peanut oil. I've never used it before.
> >>
> >> http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

> > Looks good but I'll have mine cooked a little longer, please... I like
> > high brown.

> I do too but these were plenty crunchy. I think the color is due to
> peanut oil. The onions were soft and totally cooked and I was shocked
> at the lack of browning on most of them.

I think you'll figure it out as you repeat it. Maybe cut them a bit
thicker, so they take longer to cook and they'll be more likely to
brown.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/29/2012 10:31 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> wrote:
>> On Apr 29, 6:31?pm, > wrote:
>>>
>>> Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. ?Several rings or more
>>> accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. ?I fried in
>>> peanut oil. ?I've never used it before.

http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

>> I'll be right over.

> me too
>
> care to share the batter recipe?

its just one part flour, one part club soda, a dash of vodka, garlic
salt, fresh ground pepper and powdered red pepper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 10:21*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 4/29/2012 10:31 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>

> > wrote:

I find peanut to be the most neutral oil.

> >> I'll be right over.

> > me too

> > care to share the batter recipe?

> its just one part flour, one part club soda, a dash of vodka, garlic
> salt, fresh ground pepper and powdered red pepper.

What does the vodka do?

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> What does the vodka do?

It gives her an excuse to feed the kids leftovers.

Member

Location: De Witt, AR
Send a message via Yahoo to sarahyoung75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl[_3_] View Post
Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. Several rings or more
accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. I fried in
peanut oil. I've never used it before.

http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

Your post is very informative and useful. I want to try this dish. Thanks for sharing this post with us.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 23:29:03 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 4/29/2012 10:08 PM, sf wrote:
>
>> I think you'll figure it out as you repeat it. Maybe cut them a bit
>> thicker, so they take longer to cook and they'll be more likely to
>> brown.

>I really liked the thin sliced ones. Onion straws. Crunchy and so light.

Thinly sliced onions just result in less but more thoroughly cooked
onion to the amount of breading used. And to get the breading to brown
more, add a little fine sugar or syrup to the batter. It's the sugars
in the batter/breading that carmalizes (browns).

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 23:21:54 -0400, Cheryl >
>> care to share the batter recipe?
>>

>its just one part flour, one part club soda, a dash of vodka, garlic
>salt, fresh ground pepper and powdered red pepper.

That's why they didn't brown. Nothing with sugars in the batter.
Sugars are what carmalize (brown).

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> carmalize

caramelize

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:11:50 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 23:29:03 -0400, Cheryl >
>wrote:
>
>>On 4/29/2012 10:08 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>>> I think you'll figure it out as you repeat it. Maybe cut them a bit
>>> thicker, so they take longer to cook and they'll be more likely to
>>> brown.

>>I really liked the thin sliced ones. Onion straws. Crunchy and so light.

>Thinly sliced onions just result in less but more thoroughly cooked
>onion to the amount of breading used. And to get the breading to brown
>more, add a little fine sugar or syrup to the batter. It's the sugars
>in the batter/breading that carmalizes (browns).
>
>John Kuthe...

Actually it's the starch in the breading that browns, browning and
caramelizing are different functions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 09:45:40 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:11:50 -0500, John Kuthe >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 23:29:03 -0400, Cheryl >
>>wrote:

>>>I really liked the thin sliced ones. Onion straws. Crunchy and so light.

>>Thinly sliced onions just result in less but more thoroughly cooked
>>onion to the amount of breading used. And to get the breading to brown
>>more, add a little fine sugar or syrup to the batter. It's the sugars
>>in the batter/breading that carmalizes (browns).
>>
>>John Kuthe...

>Actually it's the starch in the breading that browns, browning and
>caramelizing are different functions.

Starches are just complex carbohyrates that can be broken down to
sugars and then carmelized. If you start with simple sugars the
carmelization occurs faster and more extensively thus more browning.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:51:51 -0500, John Kuthe >
wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 09:45:40 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:11:50 -0500, John Kuthe >
>>wrote:

>>>Thinly sliced onions just result in less but more thoroughly cooked
>>>onion to the amount of breading used. And to get the breading to brown
>>>more, add a little fine sugar or syrup to the batter. It's the sugars
>>>in the batter/breading that carmalizes (browns).
>>>
>>>John Kuthe...

>>Actually it's the starch in the breading that browns, browning and
>>caramelizing are different functions.

>Starches are just complex carbohyrates that can be broken down to
>sugars and then carmelized. If you start with simple sugars the
>carmelization occurs faster and more extensively thus more browning.

You have an alibi for everything.

Adding sugar to breading turns the dish to TIAD, especially when deep
fried. Caramelizing is done slowly at a relatively low temperature...
deep frying at onion ring frying temperature will cause sugar to char
before the onions cook. You can't extricate yourself with culinary
BS, Kuthe, you know nothing about caramelizing, or any cookery for
that matter... you can't even spell caramelizing correctly... you
can't even find employment as a nurse or at any occupation, you're a
parasite, a total waste of protoplasm. No one is going to hire
someone as socially inept as you, Kuthe, you can't even admit you are
in error/aplogize for your stupidity... you definitely have the skewed
social graces of a faggot. You must be very difficult to live with,
even Bwrrrryan abandoned buggering your butt. Kuthe, you possess
absolutely no marketable skills... you can try being a sugar daddy at
the faggot bar where they may pay to caramelize your ass. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:29:41 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

Oh Sheldon! I forget that like BillyBozo, you seem to have a
homo-hankering for me too. As I told BillyBozo, sorry, I don't swing
that way. I like girls far too much to have any intgerest in a
romantic/sexual relationship with a hairy masculine being as you or
BillyHomoBoy!

But thanks for the compliment, I guess!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 29, 8:44*pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>
> .com...
>
> > Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. *Several rings or more
> > accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. *I fried in
> > peanut oil. *I've never used it before.

> >http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

> Did you use the peanut oil because of the flavor? Did it add a nice flavor?
>
> I've never had a peanut-oil onion ring before.
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

In my experience, I've never been able to tell it's peanut oil on the
fried dish - there isn't any peanut flavor, as far as I can tell.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> Oh Sheldon! I forget that like BillyBozo, you seem to have a
> homo-hankering for me too. As I told BillyBozo, sorry, I don't swing
> that way. I like girls far too much to have any intgerest in a
> romantic/sexual relationship with a hairy masculine being as you or
> BillyHomoBoy!

Sheldon is jealous of everybody, including those he imagines have real
sex lives. Check out a few pix from Shelley's Album of Romance:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glanbro...n/photostream/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2012 7:46 AM, Bryan wrote:

> What does the vodka do?

Makes them crunchier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2012 1:33 PM, Andy wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. Several rings or more
>> accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. I fried in
>> peanut oil. I've never used it before.
>>
>> http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

> I never made onion rings. I've never had good onion rings period. More
> often than not, a bite will slither the onion out of the cooked batter.
> Carving them up would be neater, Onion fritters with butter or gravy??
>
> I'm big on caramelized onions with steak. I can eat a small mountain of
> them. Quite a bit healthier than deep fried, with more onion flavor. Like
> so: http://oi47.tinypic.com/r8wke0.jpg
>
> Andy

I've never made them since I don't deep fry but they are good served as
tempura. Asparagus and sweet potato tempura are good too.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2012 1:35 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:20:42 -0400, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> On 4/30/2012 7:46 AM, Bryan wrote:
>>

>>> What does the vodka do?

>> Makes them crunchier.

> I think you need to use more than a "splash". The vodka should
> replace a fair amount of water.
>
> But I know it's hard justifying using a lot of vodka knowing that it
> will just evaporate and go poof into thin air. It's much more
> effective in the bloodstream!

I've seen recipes that call for only a shot, like Alex Guarnaschelli
beer battered. It might have been a bit more than a splash I used.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 23:21:54 -0400, Cheryl >
>>> care to share the batter recipe?
>>>

>>its just one part flour, one part club soda, a dash of vodka, garlic
>>salt, fresh ground pepper and powdered red pepper.

> That's why they didn't brown. Nothing with sugars in the batter.
> Sugars are what carmalize (brown).
>
> John Kuthe...

eggs contain no carbs...and yet egg wash is used for browning

huh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Cheryl > wrote:
>
>> Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. Several rings or more
>> accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. I fried in
>> peanut oil. I've never used it before.
>>
>> http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

> I never made onion rings. I've never had good onion rings period. More
> often than not, a bite will slither the onion out of the cooked batter.
> Carving them up would be neater, Onion fritters with butter or gravy??
>
> I'm big on caramelized onions with steak. I can eat a small mountain of
> them. Quite a bit healthier than deep fried, with more onion flavor. Like
> so: http://oi47.tinypic.com/r8wke0.jpg

I think there's a difference between burned & caramelized

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:08:52 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote:
>>>>
>>>its just one part flour, one part club soda, a dash of vodka, garlic
>>>salt, fresh ground pepper and powdered red pepper.

>> That's why they didn't brown. Nothing with sugars in the batter.
>> Sugars are what carmalize (brown).
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>eggs contain no carbs...and yet egg wash is used for browning
>
>huh!

And a little milk (which *does* contain carbs!) works even better!

My point was that ingredient list contains nothing that would brown or
promote browning, and we see the result. Maybe a little milk or egg or
? might help browning. Sure could not hurt it!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:12:33 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>Andy wrote:
>> Cheryl > wrote:
>>
>>> Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. Several rings or more
>>> accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. I fried in
>>> peanut oil. I've never used it before.
>>>
>>> http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

>> I never made onion rings. I've never had good onion rings period. More
>> often than not, a bite will slither the onion out of the cooked batter.
>> Carving them up would be neater, Onion fritters with butter or gravy??
>>
>> I'm big on caramelized onions with steak. I can eat a small mountain of
>> them. Quite a bit healthier than deep fried, with more onion flavor. Like
>> so: http://oi47.tinypic.com/r8wke0.jpg

>I think there's a difference between burned & caramelized

Yes there is. And it cannot always be determined by color! But must be
determined by flavor! And onions contain a LOT of sugars! Try eating a
piece of raw onion while holding your nose. You'll taste the sugars!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:12:33 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

> Andy wrote:
> >

> > I'm big on caramelized onions with steak. I can eat a small mountain of
> > them. Quite a bit healthier than deep fried, with more onion flavor. Like
> > so: http://oi47.tinypic.com/r8wke0.jpg

> I think there's a difference between burned & caramelized

I think the onions could have been better lighted and they probably
aren't burned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:12:33 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:
>
>> Andy wrote:
>> >

>> > I'm big on caramelized onions with steak. I can eat a small mountain of
>> > them. Quite a bit healthier than deep fried, with more onion flavor. Like
>> > so: http://oi47.tinypic.com/r8wke0.jpg

>> I think there's a difference between burned & caramelized

> I think the onions could have been better lighted and they probably
> aren't burned.

Yes the photography is suboptimal but given what we have to work with
I'd still say quite a few crunchy black former onion bits are in there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:08:52 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:
>
>>John Kuthe wrote:

>>> That's why they didn't brown. Nothing with sugars in the batter.
>>> Sugars are what carmalize (brown).
>>>
>>> John Kuthe...

>>eggs contain no carbs...and yet egg wash is used for browning
>>
>>huh!

> And a little milk (which *does* contain carbs!) works even better!
>
> My point was that ingredient list contains nothing that would brown or
> promote browning, and we see the result. Maybe a little milk or egg or
> ? might help browning. Sure could not hurt it!
>
> John Kuthe...

*boggle*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:12:33 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>> I'm big on caramelized onions with steak. I can eat a small mountain of
>>> them. Quite a bit healthier than deep fried, with more onion flavor. Like
>>> so: http://oi47.tinypic.com/r8wke0.jpg

>> I think there's a difference between burned & caramelized

> My thoughts exactly. And burned onions don't taste very good.
>
> -sw

if you're drunk enough it doesn't matter and they add an interesting texture

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 5:06*pm, tert in seattle > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:

> >> I think there's a difference between burned & caramelized

> > My thoughts exactly. *And burned onions don't taste very good.

> > -sw

> if you're drunk enough it doesn't matter and they add an interesting texture

there it is. i can't stand any canned chili. yet when i've had a few
beers, stag dynamite hot is pretty darn tasty. even puritan is good.
it hardly has any meat, but after a few, the taste is pretty good
provided you get the hot stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 20:37:11 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

>*boggle*

I don't see YOU offering any brilliant suggestions! ;-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Apr 30, 5:06?pm, tert in seattle > wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>> > My thoughts exactly. ?And burned onions don't taste very good.

>> > -sw

>> if you're drunk enough it doesn't matter and they add an interesting texture

> there it is. i can't stand any canned chili. yet when i've had a few
> beers, stag dynamite hot is pretty darn tasty. even puritan is good.
> it hardly has any meat, but after a few, the taste is pretty good
> provided you get the hot stuff.

one time a long time ago I arrived home after a long night of drinking
with a serious case of munchies...it was late enough that the corner burger
joint was closed...all I had in the fridge was an onion and some butter...
so I fried up some onion and ate it with some Louisiana hot sauce...
ahhhh, that hit the spot!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 23:21:54 -0400, Cheryl >
> >> care to share the batter recipe?
> >>

> >its just one part flour, one part club soda, a dash of vodka, garlic
> >salt, fresh ground pepper and powdered red pepper.

> That's why they didn't brown. Nothing with sugars in the batter.
> Sugars are what carmalize (brown).
>
> John Kuthe...

I suspect she just needed to cook them a bit longer.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:41:44 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote:

>> >its just one part flour, one part club soda, a dash of vodka, garlic
>> >salt, fresh ground pepper and powdered red pepper.

>> That's why they didn't brown. Nothing with sugars in the batter.
>> Sugars are what carmalize (brown).
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>I suspect she just needed to cook them a bit longer.
>
>Gary

Or hotter. We used to have to fry the "French Donuts" hotter to get
them to brown up, because the bag mix for our French donuts was so low
in sugars.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> On 4/30/2012 7:46 AM, Bryan wrote:
>

> > What does the vodka do?

> Makes them crunchier.

Ummmm....no
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> On 4/30/2012 1:33 PM, Andy wrote:
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Part of dinner for tonight. A Vidalia onion. Several rings or more
> >> accurately onion straws, missing because they are delicious. I fried in
> >> peanut oil. I've never used it before.
> >>
> >> http://i49.tinypic.com/23pow5.jpg

> > I never made onion rings. I've never had good onion rings period. More
> > often than not, a bite will slither the onion out of the cooked batter.
> > Carving them up would be neater, Onion fritters with butter or gravy??
> >
> > I'm big on caramelized onions with steak. I can eat a small mountain of
> > them. Quite a bit healthier than deep fried, with more onion flavor. Like
> > so: http://oi47.tinypic.com/r8wke0.jpg
> >
> > Andy

> I've never made them since I don't deep fry but they are good served as
> tempura. Asparagus and sweet potato tempura are good too.

I sometime make onion rings using tempura batter. I also love the tempura
fried sweet potatoes. Also corn fritters.

Gary

Onion rings etc Gill Murray Diabetic 2 03-11-2007 01:59 PM
Onion rings... OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 17 08-06-2006 09:08 PM
Onion Rings Tim Recipes 0 28-03-2005 12:05 PM
Onion Rings Jeff General Cooking 22 11-11-2004 05:32 AM
Sweet-and-Hot Onion Rings Mary Herndon Recipes (moderated) 0 18-06-2004 01:02 PM