George Shirley

Default Veggies/Regular Canning Question.

wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:22:06 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>

>>I need to get out there and pick the purple beans, the squash, more
>>peppers, lettuce, and I believe some tomatoes are ripe now. Eat yer
>>heart out Edrena. Of course you would have to give up that dry air you
>>have if you had our rain. It's all a compromise.
>>

> This spring (like last spring), we're having so much rain I
> cannot get things planted. Can't get to the garden, the mud
> on the paths is so deep and slick I just fall down in it
> each time I try. (I have raised beds, so my plants
> themselves are OK, not drowning as they otherwise would).
>
> Well, the tomatoes are in. Most of the peppers are in, but
> that's where it stands. I need to get the rest of the
> peppers in, the eggplants, and plant the pole beans,
> cucumbers, bush beans, chard and other assorted stuff.
>
> Our season is quite short, all of this needs to be done ASAP
> - as soon as it stops raining!
>
> Pat
> --
> To email me, remove the trap and type my first
> name in its place.
>
> "Rats and roaches live by competition under the laws of
> supply and demand. It is the privilege of human beings to
> live under the laws of justice and mercy." - Wendell Berry

I picked about 3 quarts of pole beans, not bad for a row that's about 15
feet long. Got three big bell peppers, only a couple of tomatoes, one
eggplant, one Tatume squash, and a lone plum. I'm still happy with the
crops so far. We could use some of your rain. I'm running the soaker
hoses again.

George

The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > Derric wrote:
> >

> >>of this, "all" the spores would have become active and killed.)

> > Yeah, but all the flavor, color, and crispness would be killed, too. Havta
> > buy my veggies from the store until Santa brings me a pressure canner.
> > Altho, freezing is the best IMO. Would be nice to move next door to George
> > or someplace where there's enuf rain to grow veggies.
> > Edrena
> >

> We lived on the West Coast of Saudi Arabia for five years, reminded me a
> lot of El Paso. Thorn trees (similar to mesquite) growing in a wide
> rocky desert but with the Red Sea on one side. We managed to grow a lot
> of things there, just add plenty of water. Luckily there was grey water
> available, treated waste water. We had orchids, frangipani trees, a Bo
> tree, and lots of veggies. Put a straw hat on the Arabs and you would
> swear you were in El Paso del Norte.
>
> I need to get out there and pick the purple beans, the squash, more
> peppers, lettuce, and I believe some tomatoes are ripe now. Eat yer
> heart out Edrena. Of course you would have to give up that dry air you
> have if you had our rain. It's all a compromise.
>
> George

Ha! Been eatin a few 'maters for a coupla weeks now. Not big mind you.
Edrena saving the water for the beds.

kenny

On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:41:55 -0500, Kacey Barriss
> wrote:

Personally 20 minutes to pressure can vs 2-3 hours per batch
of green beans is worth it.

I put up over 100 pints of beans each season.

I have even started pressure canning tomatoe sauce just for
this reason.