Lisa Kendall

Default Tomato Sauce

Has anyone got a really tasty & fabulous recipe for a delicious tomato
sauce. We have 1000000000's of tomatoes in Australia at the moment &
we would like to preserve some for winter. Looking fwd to recipes &
suggestions. Lisa Kendall
George Shirley

But can it be boiling water bathed when jarred? I think that's all the
Ozzies have access to.

George

wrote:

> On 9 Mar 2004 19:43:37 -0800,
(Lisa
> Kendall) wrote:
>

>>Has anyone got a really tasty & fabulous recipe for a delicious tomato
>>sauce. We have 1000000000's of tomatoes in Australia at the moment &
>>we would like to preserve some for winter. Looking fwd to recipes &
>>suggestions. Lisa Kendall

> Ariane's Delicious Pasta Sauce Recipe
>
> ================================================== ========
>
> 1 28 oz. can Italian tomatoes (or equivalent fresh tomatoes)
> 1/4 cup olive oil (can reduce to 1/8 cup)
> 1 medium onion, chopped
> 1 clove garlic (MORE!)
> 1 large carrot, chopped
> 1 stalk of celery, chopped
> 3 tsp. dried oregano (MORE!)
> 3 tsp. basil (MORE!)
> 1 tsp. salt to taste
> 1 cup dry red wine [can omit or use less]
> 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped [dry parsley can
> substitute]
>
> Blend the chopped onion, garlic, carrot and celery along
> with olive oil and spices in a food processor or blender
> until it's at the desired consistency. (Some prefer their
> sauce chunkier, etc.)
>
> Empty tomatoes into a large pot on medium heat and mash with
> the back of a spoon. Stir in pureed vegetable mixture. The
> resulting blend should look quite thick and reddish with
> traces of green and yellow visible.
>
> When it starts to bubble, turn down the heat and simmer
> about an hour, maybe a little more, or until blended into a
> sauce.
>
> Add wine and continue to simmer. Stir in parsley and let
> simmer 5 more minutes. Season to taste.

> Ariane's Notes: I puree vegetables and toss them in with
> tomatoes, adding spices later and use 1/2 cup of wine. You
> can mix oregano and basil, in whatever proportions you
> like. Fresh basil would be good in this too, although you
> might have to use more than the amount listed. I often
> double this recipe with great results. It freezes very
> well, just reheat and stir and serve over pasta. Incredibly
> flavorful for a meatless sauce! Recipe courtesy of Harry
> Demidavicious on rec.food.cooking, who said he learned it
> from a little old Italian lady.
>
> Pat's Notes: It doubles and triples very well, and can be
> cooked in a crockpot (for a longer time, of course).
>
> ================================================== ===============

Loki

il 9 Mar 2004 19:43:37 -0800, (Lisa Kendall)
ha scritto:

> Has anyone got a really tasty & fabulous recipe for a delicious tomato
> sauce. We have 1000000000's of tomatoes in Australia at the moment &
> we would like to preserve some for winter. Looking fwd to recipes &
> suggestions. Lisa Kendall

Try different ones, since everyone's tastes are different. Lot's of
stuff on the net.

This page has info.
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3340.htm

You know, with soooooo many tomatoes, why not consider sun drying
them? Or slow bake in the oven if it's raining. They will taste so
delicious.

--
Cheers,

Leslie G

"Lisa Kendall" > wrote in message
m...
> Has anyone got a really tasty & fabulous recipe for a delicious tomato
> sauce. We have 1000000000's of tomatoes in Australia at the moment &
> we would like to preserve some for winter. Looking fwd to recipes &
> suggestions. Lisa Kendall

here's some that i like:

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Pickles, Preserves, Condiments

Bruschetta in a Jar
===================
9 cups chopped plum tomatoes (about 20 med)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp each: granulated sugar, dried basil, dried oregano
..
Wash, seed and chop tomatoes into 1/2 inch pieces, measuring 9 cups and set
aside.

Combine garlic, white wine, wine and balsamic vinegar, sugar, basil and
oregano in a deep stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a full boil, reduce
heat. Stirring occasionally, boil gently, covered 5 minutes. Remove from
heat.

Lightly pack tomatoes int hot jars to within 2 cm (3/4 inch) of top rim.
Add hot liquid to cover tomatoes within 1 cm of top rim. Using non-metallic
utensil, remove bubbles. Center lid on jar, apply screwband until fingertip
tight. Process boiling water bath 20 minutes.

Makes about 7 half pint jars.

Use as a topping on a bagette or a quick dinner with cooked pasta and
parmesan cheese.

Servings: 7

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Pickles, Preserves, Condiments

Tomato Salsa (For Canning)
==========================
8 Jalapeno peppers
7 Cups Tomatoes, peeled, chopped
2 Cups Onions, coarsely chopped
1 Cup Green pepper, coarse chop
3 Cloves garlic, minced
1 Tomato paste (5 oz can)
3/4 Cup White vinegar
1/2 Teaspoon Ground cumin
..
NOTE: Wear rubber gloves when handling hot peppers.

Combine peppers, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, garlic, tomato paste,
vinegar, and cumin in non-reactive pot. Bring to a boil, and boil gently for
30 minutes, or until salsa reaches desired consistency.

Ladle into hot sterilized jars, cover and process 20 minutes in boiling
water bath.

This makes a medium heat salsa. For hot salsa, add 1 tsp ground cayenne
pepper to ingredients before cooking.

Servings: 5

(I like to reduce the amount of sweet peppers, and make up the difference
with an equivilent amount of hot peppers)

Home Cookin 4.9 Chapter: Pickles, Preserves, Condiments

Basic Fresh Tomato Sauce
========================
2 Medium Onions, finely chopped
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/3 Cup Olive or salad oil
5 Pounds Firm ripe tomatoes
1/2 Cup Minced green onions
1 Green pepper, chopped
1-1/2 Teaspoons Salt
3/4 Teaspoon Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Anise seed
1 Tablespoon Oregano
3/4 Teaspoon Rosemary
1 Teaspoon Paprika
1-3/4 Cups Dry red wine
..
Peel, seed and chop tomatoes.

In dutch oven or large frying pan, heat oil, add onions and garlic, saute
until golden, about 15 minutes, stir occasionally. Add tomatoes, green
onion, green pepper, salt, pepper, anise, oregano, rosemary and wine. Bring
to a boil, stirring with a heavy wooden spoon to break up tomatoes. Cover,
reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Remove cover and simmer until reduced to 8
cups. (if the sauce is too acidic- add a bit of sugar to taste, or grated
carrots)

Sauce may be used while hot, refrigerated for up to 3 days, frozen or
processed in a pressure canner.

From the recipe archives of Leslie Gratton

Leslie G

Ellen Wickberg

in article , Loki at
lid wrote on 10/3/04 1:32 pm:

> il 9 Mar 2004 19:43:37 -0800,
(Lisa Kendall)
> ha scritto:
>
>> Has anyone got a really tasty & fabulous recipe for a delicious tomato
>> sauce. We have 1000000000's of tomatoes in Australia at the moment &
>> we would like to preserve some for winter. Looking fwd to recipes &
>> suggestions. Lisa Kendall

> Try different ones, since everyone's tastes are different. Lot's of
> stuff on the net.
>

> This page has info.
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3340.htm

> You know, with soooooo many tomatoes, why not consider sun drying
> them? Or slow bake in the oven if it's raining. They will taste so
> delicious.

I think that it was Judith, last year, who talked about "passata", a tomato
puree. I made some and BWBed it just as you would tomato sauce. It was a
delight to have to use in the winter. I simply cooked the tomatoes briefly
and ran them through a food mill and canned.( with appropriate acidulation,
of course) I realize that this isn't sauce, but it leaves you with all
kinds of options when you open the jar.
Ellen

Peter Watson

Default Tomato Sauce - watch it you lot

Lisa Kendall wrote:
> Has anyone got a really tasty & fabulous recipe for a delicious tomato
> sauce. We have 1000000000's of tomatoes in Australia at the moment &
> we would like to preserve some for winter. Looking fwd to recipes &
> suggestions. Lisa Kendall

One of the answers was I suspect correct... she means your 'ketchup'
(name stolen from the Indonesians I'm reliably informed) and that does
not require HWB if done in the traditional manner with a vinegar base
and hot bottled. If you are nervous then HWT if you wish. Should Lisa
not yet have found a recipe... email me direct and I'll give her a couple.

Mind you, there was one or two great ideas... the Passata and of course
Sugo would be great and of course, a batch or two of Tomato rellish
would be great with cold cuts and hamburgers. Salsas are also great.

Good luck... winter rapidly approaches in Oz and I have spent the last
months knee deep in stone fruit and in fact, had a peach explosion,
became besotted with white peaches... Blackberry & peach Jam, peach &
raspberry jam, pickled white peaches (yummy) white peach infused white
wine vinegar (completely delicious) and on and on. (Oh.. the peaches
preserved in rose water with Middle east spices are sublime with cream)

Take care all..

Peter

The Joneses

Peter Watson wrote:

> white peach infused white wine vinegar (completely delicious) and on and
> on.
> (Oh.. the peaches preserved in rose water with Middle east spices are
> sublime with cream)

Okay fella, you don't get away that easy, mentioning wierd and
foreign delicious things and not mentioning the recipes...or are
they ASFR? ("a secret family recipe", I made that one up).
Edrena

Brian Mailman

Default Ketchups (Was Tomato Sauce - watch it you lot)

Peter Watson wrote:

> One of the answers was I suspect correct... she means your 'ketchup'
> (name stolen from the Indonesians I'm reliably informed)

Yes, ketjap... a pickled concoction. Was taken back to Merry Ol'
England and various ketchups/catsups became the rage. Witty's _Fancy
Pantry_ has several (mushroom, lemon, grape, among others). Just
happened that tomato won the prize and became synonomous with the word
itself.

Anyone who was reading this last year went through my trials and
tribulations in developing an apricot catsup recipe.

B/
Peter Watson

No... not a secret, just lotsa mucking about in the kitchen... I used a
very gentle vinegar (coconut vinegar from the Philipines) sweetened it
just a tiny bit, added some black pepper and a few star anise then lots
of peaches, whole cut in half, skin on and stone removed but put into a
bag and added seperately... I then very slowly and gently allowed the
whole thing to heat and kept it warm for a couple of hours, strained off
the liquid, put the (now spiced) peach halves in jars, topped with the
vinegar and sealed, strained the vineger that was left and that was that.

The Joneses wrote:
> Peter Watson wrote:
>

>>white peach infused white wine vinegar (completely delicious) and on and
>>on.
>>(Oh.. the peaches preserved in rose water with Middle east spices are
>>sublime with cream)

> Okay fella, you don't get away that easy, mentioning wierd and
> foreign delicious things and not mentioning the recipes...or are
> they ASFR? ("a secret family recipe", I made that one up).
> Edrena

Melba's Jammin'

He lives!! Hi, Peter!

BTW, last September you said you were going to send me a bottle of your
lovely Spiced Wine Syrup. It never arrived, in case you're wondering
why I never said "thank you." Slow boat. :-(

Are you all settled into the new factory? Greet Jon for me, eh?

Regards,
Barb Schaller (Been two years since we met -- time flies!)

In article >, Peter Watson

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-13-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
The Joneses

Peter Watson wrote:

> No... not a secret, just lotsa mucking about in the kitchen... I used a
> very gentle vinegar (coconut vinegar from the Philipines) sweetened it
> just a tiny bit, added some black pepper and a few star anise then lots
> of peaches, whole cut in half, skin on and stone removed but put into a
> bag and added seperately... I then very slowly and gently allowed the
> whole thing to heat and kept it warm for a couple of hours, strained off
> the liquid, put the (now spiced) peach halves in jars, topped with the
> vinegar and sealed, strained the vineger that was left and that was that.
> The Joneses wrote:
> > Peter Watson wrote:
> >>white peach infused white wine vinegar (completely delicious) and on and
> >>(Oh.. the peaches preserved in rose water with Middle east spices are
> >>sublime with cream)

> > Okay fella, you don't get away that easy, mentioning wierd and
> > foreign delicious things and not mentioning the recipes...or are
> > they ASFR? ("a secret family recipe", I made that one up).

Thanks for the receipt - I never woulda thot to combine those, but I'm still a
beginner sorta.
Edrena

Peter Watson

sorry.... indeed I do live and we have been hectic as all get out...
Barb email me will you with your address etc and I'll send a bottle as
promised and a list of what we're up to now.

Peter

Tomato sauce Rusty[_2_] Preserving 0 03-09-2011 08:22 PM
tomato paste vs tomato sauce [email protected] General Cooking 32 06-05-2009 03:22 AM
Lasagna, with enchilada sauce instead of tomato sauce? zxcvbob General Cooking 13 22-04-2008 02:03 PM
How do I make tomato sauce out of tomato paste? Kris[_1_] General Cooking 14 10-07-2007 03:59 AM
Tomato Sauce? what? General Cooking 19 05-02-2004 08:59 PM