Old 04-05-2009, 08:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default tomato paste vs tomato sauce

I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make much
difference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and cannot
believe that I never noticed this before.

Thanks

Tom

Old 04-05-2009, 10:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make much
difference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and cannot
believe that I never noticed this before.

Tomato

You obviously have not been reading labels carefully... with just about
every product that contains tomato the tomato is reconstitued tomato
paste/concentrate... all tomato sauce, all tomato juice, all ketchup, even
Heinz. This the only reasonable method for maintaining product consistancy.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 2:54*pm, Andy wrote:
said...

I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make much
difference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and cannot
believe that I never noticed this before.

Thanks

Tomato paste is much more natural.

I enjoy the tang of paste. YMMV.

Me too. Especially Contadina. I make a pasta sauce that has nothing
but paste, water and bay leaf. I simmer browned meatballs in it. The
meatballs have nothing in them but very lean ground beef, pulverized
fat free saltines, and EVOO. Simmering mellows the acid, and no
sugar is needed. This was my mother's recipe, except that she used
regular saltines, and fattier ground beef. Substituting EVOO for all
the fat in the saltines, and most of the fat in the beef, IMO,
improves the flavor.

Best,

Andy
--

--Bryan listen @ http://www.MySpace.com/TheBonobos

"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

Old 05-05-2009, 01:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 3:46*pm, Serene Vannoy wrote:
James Silverton wrote:
*wrote *on Mon, 4 May 2009 12:36:26 -0700 (PDT):

Thanks
I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make
muchdifference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and
cannotbelieve that I never noticed this before.

It's just a matter of convenience. There's less bother if a brand of
sauce pleases you but you might start with the paste if you intend to
add your own herbs etc.

Yep. We even make our own tomato juice from paste now (we buy paste with
no spices), since the day we noticed that all the tomato juice we were
buying was from concentrate anyway.

The Wal Mart brand is "not from concentrate." It's cheap, and tastes
good, at least as good as canned tomato juice can taste.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: *if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Old 05-05-2009, 02:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 7:58*pm, thudpucker wrote:
On Mon, 04 May 2009 13:46:28 -0700, Serene Vannoy

wrote:
James Silverton wrote:
*wrote *on Mon, 4 May 2009 12:36:26 -0700 (PDT):

Thanks
I looked on the label of a small can of tomato sauce, and I noticed
that the main ingredient was tomato paste. So would you be better off
just buying paste, and adding liquid to it? or would it not make
muchdifference. I have been a label reader for forty years, and
cannotbelieve that I never noticed this before.

It's just a matter of convenience. There's less bother if a brand of
sauce pleases you but you might start with the paste if you intend to
add your own herbs etc.

Dang, I didn't know that. *I just tossed out the better part of a can
of tomato paste after using a couple tablespoons to thicken a sauce.

Never again.

Really. Tomato juice reconsituted from paste is decent, especially
made with less water than is in standard juice. Use Contadina or a
store brand knockoff, and it's better than the "from concentrate"
canned stuff.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

Leftover tomato paste in a can freezes just fine. There is no reason at
all to waste it!

What I do is put the paste in a zip-loc and freeze it flat. Makes it
easy to break off what ya need.