what?

Default Tomato Sauce?

Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based in
the UK and am not exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates tomato
sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or a cooked and seasoned tomato sauce,
such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?

TIA.

Hal Laurent

"what?" > wrote in message ...
> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based

in
> the UK and am not exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates

tomato
> sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or a cooked and seasoned tomato

sauce,
> such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?

It means a cooked and seasoned tomato sauce.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Steve Wertz

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:11:04 -0500, "Hal Laurent"
> wrote:

>"what?" > wrote in message ...
>> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based

>in
>> the UK and am not exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates

>tomato
>> sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or a cooked and seasoned tomato

>sauce,
>> such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?

>It means a cooked and seasoned tomato sauce.

That would be spaghetti sauce. Tomato sauce is usually just
cooked strained/pureed tomatoes, salt, and citric acid - unless
it's advertised as being adulterated with other spices.

-sw
PENMART01

> (Naomi Darvell) erroneously states:
>
>Oh, not necessarily, I think! There's a product you find on the shelves
>called
>"tomato sauce" which is not exactly the same as puree-- it's more
>concentrated-- but it's not seasoned unless it's specially labeled. If I were
>following a recipe that called for "tomato sauce" I would go for the
>unseasoned
>product.

Canned "Tomato Sauce" (in the US) is a seasoned tomato product, which is why
it's called "Sauce"... read the label.

Canned tomato products labeled Puree, Crushed, Whole, Paste, etc. are not
seasoned (except those that state they contain herbs- usually basil)... where
the word "Sauce" appears it's seasoned. Some canned tomato products state they
contain 'no added salt' but they still contain salt, all food naturally
contains salt.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

DRB

"Naomi Darvell" > wrote in message
> No, I regularly buy tomato paste. It's not the same as tomato sauce. I'm
> talking about products by companies like Hunt and Contadina which are

labeled
> tomato sauce.

http://www.hunts.com/gateway?waf.act...&mnav=products

Is the url to Hunts product listing. It appears that tomato sauce, while
not as flavored as spaghetti sauce, does have some seasoning to it. It
sounds a lot like ketchup to me. They have a tomato puree that they
describe as having "a texture between tomato paste and crushed tomatoes."
Then, they have the regular tomato paste, which is concentrated, strained
tomatoes.

Fran

"what?" > wrote in message

> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based

in
> the UK and am not exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates

tomato
> sauce.

Could you give an example of the recipe that includes a mention of tomato
sauce?

Given that it doesn't seem to be an open and shut definition that is
immediatley obvious to other posters then the recipe may help people to
figure out what this ingredient really is.

Frogleg

On 27 Jan 2004 03:05:53 GMT, (Naomi Darvell) wrote:

>FYI-- Hunt's Tomato Sauce:

http://www.hunts.com/A02-FAQ.jsp?mnav=about

Aw, now you've taken the fun out. :-)

We certainly have a lot of choices: whole, diced, crushed, stewed,
puree, juice, sauce, paste. Not to mention the 'flavored' variations.
THEMOM1

Cooked and seasoned sauce, but not necessarily spaghetti sauce.

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

<>< ><>
www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/..._WATCHERS.html

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

225/188.4/145

"what?" > wrote in message ...
> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based

in
> the UK and am not exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates

tomato
> sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or a cooked and seasoned tomato

sauce,
> such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?
>
> TIA.

PENMART01

> Sqwertz fabricates:
>
>(PENMART01) wrote:
>
>>Canned "Tomato Sauce" (in the US) is a seasoned tomato product, which is why
>>it's called "Sauce"... read the label.

>"Tomato puree'e, water, salt, citric acid, tomato fiber, natural
>flavor".

Anyone with a can of tomato sauce and who can read will know you're a liar.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>Darvell) wrote:
>
>>FYI-- Hunt's Tomato Sauce:
>>
>>http://www.hunts.com/A02-FAQ.jsp?mnav=about

You needed to click on the can...

http://www.hunts.com/gateway?waf.act...ductList& cat
egoryID=600&mnav=products

Hunt's Tomato Sauce is made from all-natural, vine-ripened tomatoes, with salt,
<U>spices</U>, and <U>natural flavors for seasoning</U> and contains no added
sugar, corn syrup, or other sweeteners. Slow-cooked for a rich, smooth texture,
tomato sauce is a key ingredient in favorite meals such as spaghetti, lasagna,
meatloaf, chili, stews, casseroles, and Mexican dishes.

Select a Tomato Sauce Product below:

Hunt's Tomato Sauce

Hunt's Tomato Sauce No Salt Added 8oz

Hunt's Tomato Sauce Roasted Garlic 8oz

Hunt's Tomato Sauce Basil, Garlic and Oregano 8oz

what? > wrote:
> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based in
> the UK and am not exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates tomato
> sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or a cooked and seasoned tomato sauce,
> such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?

Tomato sauce in the United States is typically a marinara type sauce.
If you have a specific recipe in mind, post the recipe then we can
say for sure what type of tomato sauce would be appropriate for it.

Arri London

what? wrote:

> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based in
> the UK and am not exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates tomato
> sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or a cooked and seasoned tomato sauce,
> such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?
>
> TIA.

It's generally meant to be either a finished seasoned sauce or
occasionally the equivalent of a passata. It's not normally used to mean
the stuff that goes on bangers or chips, as in Heinz.
Frogleg

On 28 Jan 2004 00:38:11 GMT, wrote:

>what? > wrote:
>> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based in
>> the UK and am not exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates tomato
>> sauce. Does it mean pureed tomatoes or a cooked and seasoned tomato sauce,
>> such as you would use in an Italian tomato sauce?

>Tomato sauce in the United States is typically a marinara type sauce.
>If you have a specific recipe in mind, post the recipe then we can
>say for sure what type of tomato sauce would be appropriate for it.

Wrong. Tomato sauce in an American recipe is what comes in cans
labeled 'tomato sauce'. The URL posted the other day

http://www.hunts.com/A02-FAQ.jsp?mnav=about

shows that plain 'sauce' is roughly equivalent to 'puree', a diluted
form of 'paste', or a concentrated 'juice'.

I realize that marinara means 'tomato,' so strictly speaking, marinara
sauce and tomato sauce are the same thing, but usually 'marinara'
refers to a complete seasoned and cooked sauce, to be put over pasta
or meat, while 'tomato sauce' means liquidized tomatoes with salt and
perhaps a teeny bit of other seasonings to be used as a recipe
*ingredient*.

Jarred or canned 'pasta sauces' (oddly not made from pasta :-). are
meant to be used as-is and are thoroughly cooked and seasoned.

PENMART01

Frogputz

>stan wrote:
>
>>what? > wrote:
>>> Hi, I notice that many American recipes call for tomato sauce. I'm based

>in
>>> the UK and am not exactly sure what a recipe means when it stipulates

>tomato
>>> sauce.

>>Tomato sauce in the United States is typically a marinara type sauce.

>Wrong. Tomato sauce in an American recipe is what comes in cans
>labeled 'tomato sauce'. The URL posted the other day
>
>http://www.hunts.com/A02-FAQ.jsp?mnav=about

You are wrong, Frogputz, the info found on that list describes suitable
substitutes for use in recipes, not equivalents.

>I realize that marinara means 'tomato,'

Um, marinara does NOT mean tomato, marinara means sailor style
M-W
Etymology: Italian (alla) marinara, literally, in sailor style

Canned tomato sauce is indeed a marinara sauce, not a very good one but a
marinara sauce nonetheless...

Stan is correct, and you, Frogputz, are a most ignorant *******...

go stand in the "Hopeless Morons" line with Sqwertz, both of yoose share the
same DNA, means yoose both have the same 25¢ whoring momma, but different
imbecile poppas, unknown marinaras naturally.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Ken Davey

PENMART01 wrote:
> Frogputz
>
> Stan is correct, and you, Frogputz, are a most ignorant *******...
>
> go stand in the "Hopeless Morons" line with Sqwertz, both of yoose
> share the same DNA, means yoose both have the same 25¢ whoring momma,
> but different imbecile poppas, unknown marinaras naturally.
>
> Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Off your meds again?
plonk.

Nancy Young

DRB wrote:

> Is the url to Hunts product listing. It appears that tomato sauce, while
> not as flavored as spaghetti sauce, does have some seasoning to it. It
> sounds a lot like ketchup to me.

Tomato sauce and ketchup are not alike. At all. And tomato sauce
and spaghetti sauce aren't alike, either. Different altogether.

nancy
Stark Raven

In article >, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> DRB wrote:
>
> > Is the url to Hunts product listing. It appears that tomato sauce, while
> > not as flavored as spaghetti sauce, does have some seasoning to it. It
> > sounds a lot like ketchup to me.

> Tomato sauce and ketchup are not alike. At all. And tomato sauce
> and spaghetti sauce aren't alike, either. Different altogether.
>
> nancy

It's getting harder and harder to find simple whole, diced or pureed
tomatos for all the Italian, Mexican, zesty and chili-flavored
varieties on the shelves. Can sauce be far behind?
limey

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> DRB wrote:
>
> > Is the url to Hunts product listing. It appears that tomato sauce,

while
> > not as flavored as spaghetti sauce, does have some seasoning to it. It
> > sounds a lot like ketchup to me.

> Tomato sauce and ketchup are not alike. At all. And tomato sauce
> and spaghetti sauce aren't alike, either. Different altogether.
>
> nancy

At home in England, ketchup was known as tomato sauce - perhaps it still is.
I agree, though, tomato sauce here in the US is a different animal (no
seasoning) from ketchup. BTW, I love Heinz' new ketchup. It's called
"Zesty", or something and really sparks things up.

Dora

Tomato sauce Rusty[_2_] Preserving 0 03-09-2011 08:22 PM
tomato paste vs tomato sauce [email protected] General Cooking 32 06-05-2009 03:22 AM
Lasagna, with enchilada sauce instead of tomato sauce? zxcvbob General Cooking 13 22-04-2008 02:03 PM
How do I make tomato sauce out of tomato paste? Kris[_1_] General Cooking 14 10-07-2007 03:59 AM
Tomato Sauce Kathy Brooks Recipes (moderated) 0 22-08-2005 04:56 AM