JimH

Default Preserving Peppers

If I wanted to pickle jalapenos, carrot slices, onion & garlic, do I
have to can them or just do the hot vinegar thing into stirle jars?
I'm a beginner at this.

Thanks, Jim
George Shirley

JimH wrote:
> If I wanted to pickle jalapenos, carrot slices, onion & garlic, do I
> have to can them or just do the hot vinegar thing into stirle jars?
> I'm a beginner at this.
>
> Thanks, Jim

I do them this way: wash, air dry, cap, poke a slit or two in the chile,
stuff them in jars as tight as possible. I also put in a clove of garlic
and sometimes either dillweed or dill seeed. Mix a 50/50 mix of vinegar
and water, bring to a boil and pour over the chiles in the jar, leave
one quarter inch headspace. Put on the lid that has been heated
according to lid instructions (this often varies from brand to brand),
screw on the ring, immerse in a boiling water batch, bring back to a
boil and leave for 5 minutes.

It's not a bad idea to sterilize the jars ahead of time but not
absolutely necessary IMHO. These won't be nice and crunchy like fresh
chiles but will be preserved for a good while and will taste good. Not
only do I eat the chiles I put the "juice" over beans and rice or greens
with great success.

George

pickle

"JimH" > wrote in message
om...
> If I wanted to pickle jalapenos, carrot slices, onion & garlic, do I
> have to can them or just do the hot vinegar thing into stirle jars?
> I'm a beginner at this.
>
> Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

Put everything in a boiling water bath (bwb) for 10 minutes or use the low
temperture pasteruzation method - 180F for 30 minutes. Some receipes call
for removing the garlic but I don't. Reason is to prevent bacteria.

I recommend the book, Joy of Pickling. Well worth the investment.

Bob

Bob & Edrena

JimH wrote:

> If I wanted to pickle jalapenos, carrot slices, onion & garlic, do I
> have to can them or just do the hot vinegar thing into stirle jars?
> I'm a beginner at this.

I add a sprig of my homegrown oregano and about 1 tsp olive oil (per
jar-just enuf
to coat the peppers as you fish them out). I slice up the garlic clove.
My neighbor tells me that as kids they would fight over who got the
carrot pieces. I also use Hungarian Hot peppers which come in orange,
red, yellow and throw in a few small green jalepenyos - in a pint or
quart jar, it just looks lovely. I've been told that Cubano peppers are
a little fleshier and stay crisper longer in canning process. Hope all
this helps - did you know that peppers with more striations are hotter
than ones with no stripeys?
Edrena in Texas