Ol' Hippie

Default New to group HI

I am new to this group, just got a dehydrator for Christmas, been playing
with pears and apples, now I want to get serious, anyone have some good
ideas? I was thinking of all sorts of veggies, but will wait till this next
season for good fresh veggies, Jerky for sure, will try all sorts of fish
and red meat, we live in SW Oregon fish & game are plentiful here.
So any suggestions?

--
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
one pretty well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,

Connie TenClay

Okay here is a subject that I know a little about. :-) Veggies are
easy, some need to be blanched first others you can just dry, the best
way to find out is to get a good book, One of the best books that I
have found is "How To Dry Foods" by Deanna Delong. My book is a real
mess, it has seen a lot of use. I don't know what it will cost mine was
copywrited in 1979. However I do know that it is still available as I
have seen in in a Shopko store in the last year or so.

Easiest to dry and something that most kids like is fruit. I do apples
by just pealing, and slicing and drying, no extra treatment. Also you
can make good fruit leather by puréeing fruit, then spreading out on a
plastic tray. Another easy way to get stuff to dehydrate is to buy a
gallon of pineapple chunks or rings and just take the fruit out of the
juice and dry, this is a favorite of my daughter. Feel free to email me
if you have any questions.

Connie TC

--
Connie TenClay NATA 252
http://home.new.rr.com/tenclay/connie

Alt Group Intend to Take Over This Group Bakerman Baking 4 25-06-2008 03:50 AM
I Am New To This Group [email protected] General Cooking 35 02-12-2006 07:04 PM
TO THE GROUP......... Shiver General Cooking 4 23-09-2006 04:43 PM
New to the group Lew Bryson Beer 2 28-06-2005 06:55 PM
new to the group [email protected] Sourdough 0 21-06-2005 09:10 PM