Elitsirk

Default Pickling hot peppers

Can I slice hot peppers into rings before pickling them? It sounds
like a silly question maybe, but all of the recipes I've seen say to
leave them whole or quarter them. They also say to peel them by
blistering the skins first--is this always necessary or is it just a
good idea (or just necessary if you leave the peppers whole?)?

I had a late crop of hot peppers (chilin, I believe--roughly the size
of an anaheim, but hotter) that I need to do something with real soon.
I thought the slices might work on sandwiches, and these peppers are
definitely too big to eat whole.

I've not pickled anything before, so I figured I should ask before I
ruin the whole batch. I have the Ball canning book and another
government publication to look at for recipes, but they don't mention
slicing peppers.

Thanks!
elit.
SCUBApix

"Elitsirk" > wrote in message
m...
> Can I slice hot peppers into rings before pickling them? It sounds
> like a silly question maybe, but all of the recipes I've seen say to
> leave them whole or quarter them. They also say to peel them by
> blistering the skins first--is this always necessary or is it just a
> good idea (or just necessary if you leave the peppers whole?)?
>
> I had a late crop of hot peppers (chilin, I believe--roughly the size
> of an anaheim, but hotter) that I need to do something with real soon.
> I thought the slices might work on sandwiches, and these peppers are
> definitely too big to eat whole.
>
> I've not pickled anything before, so I figured I should ask before I
> ruin the whole batch. I have the Ball canning book and another
> government publication to look at for recipes, but they don't mention
> slicing peppers.
>
> Thanks!
> elit.

Every few years I pickle a batch of Jelapenos. I slice them across the
pepper making circles. Those loaded with seeds I punch the tip of my blade
at to loosen a few but leave most seeds in. Then I prepare a traditional
pickling liquid (white vinegar, salt, mustard seeds, water, maybe a little
sugar, I forget) and slice a few onions and thats it. I usually do about 4
or 5 half pints in a BWB. Great on turkey sandwiches with lettuce and a
little mayo.

Ross Reid

(Elitsirk) wrote:

>Can I slice hot peppers into rings before pickling them? It sounds
>like a silly question maybe, but all of the recipes I've seen say to
>leave them whole or quarter them. They also say to peel them by
>blistering the skins first--is this always necessary or is it just a
>good idea (or just necessary if you leave the peppers whole?)?
>
>I had a late crop of hot peppers (chilin, I believe--roughly the size
>of an anaheim, but hotter) that I need to do something with real soon.
> I thought the slices might work on sandwiches, and these peppers are
>definitely too big to eat whole.
>
>I've not pickled anything before, so I figured I should ask before I
>ruin the whole batch. I have the Ball canning book and another
>government publication to look at for recipes, but they don't mention
>slicing peppers.
>
>Thanks!
>elit.

Here's one of the recipes we use every year on our home grown hot
peppers.

Rings of Fire (Pickled Peppers)

6 qt hot peppers; sliced 1/4 in. rings
5 cups vinegar
2.5 cups water
6 tablespoon granulated sugar
6 tablespoon pickling salt

Cut hot peppers into rings about 1/4" thick.
Combine remaining ingredients in stainless steel pot and bring to
boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
Pack pepper pieces into hot, sterilized pint mason jars and pour
boiling liquid over, leaving 1/4" headspace. Immediately, fit lids and
screwbands.
Process in BWB 10 minutes.
Allow to cool in draft free location.
Ready to use in approx. 3 weeks.

Ross.

Mutti Pie

Default OT Pickling hot peppers

going down down down through the burning ring of fire

(apologies: this is the first song besides Jimmy Buffet
my dh ever sang to me)

Ross Reid wrote:

> (Elitsirk) wrote:
>

>>Can I slice hot peppers into rings before pickling them? It sounds
>>like a silly question maybe, but all of the recipes I've seen say to
>>leave them whole or quarter them. They also say to peel them by
>>blistering the skins first--is this always necessary or is it just a
>>good idea (or just necessary if you leave the peppers whole?)?
>>
>>I had a late crop of hot peppers (chilin, I believe--roughly the size
>>of an anaheim, but hotter) that I need to do something with real soon.
>>I thought the slices might work on sandwiches, and these peppers are
>>definitely too big to eat whole.
>>
>>I've not pickled anything before, so I figured I should ask before I
>>ruin the whole batch. I have the Ball canning book and another
>>government publication to look at for recipes, but they don't mention
>>slicing peppers.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>elit.

> Here's one of the recipes we use every year on our home grown hot
> peppers.
>
> Rings of Fire (Pickled Peppers)
>
> 6 qt hot peppers; sliced 1/4 in. rings
> 5 cups vinegar
> 2.5 cups water
> 6 tablespoon granulated sugar
> 6 tablespoon pickling salt
>
> Cut hot peppers into rings about 1/4" thick.
> Combine remaining ingredients in stainless steel pot and bring to
> boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
> Pack pepper pieces into hot, sterilized pint mason jars and pour
> boiling liquid over, leaving 1/4" headspace. Immediately, fit lids and
> screwbands.
> Process in BWB 10 minutes.
> Allow to cool in draft free location.
> Ready to use in approx. 3 weeks.
>
> Ross.

zxcvbob

The Joneses wrote:
> ...Did you know jalepenyos with more striations are hotter? I learned
> that at the farmers' market this summer.
>
> Edrena in El Paso

I only buy supermarket jalapenos if they have mosaic virus marks. The ones
that look perfect grew too fast to develop any heat. The ones with those
little tan cracks were left on the plant a lot longer and will probably be hot.

Best regards,
Bob