George Shirley

Default What to make marmalade of?

I'm sitting here listening to the three men talking while they lay a
laminate floor in the house and thinking of making marmalade this afternoon.

The kumquats aren't quite ripe enough yet so will make some of that
after Thanksgiving, thinking of red grapefruit though. Made some of that
a few years ago and it was very good. Of course the price of Rio or ruby
reds is fairly high right now so maybe around Xmas time when they go to
8 for a dollar or something like that. Oranges are pricey here,Mexican
limes are on sale, 20 for a dollar, anyone ever make lime marmalade?

Bet that if you hand picked the limes for the quality and color of the
peel you could make a beautiful marmalade from those limes. Any hints on
this?

George

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George
Shirley > wrote:Mexican
> limes are on sale, 20 for a dollar, anyone ever make lime marmalade?
>
> Bet that if you hand picked the limes for the quality and color of the
> peel you could make a beautiful marmalade from those limes. Any hints on
> this?
>
> George

No, but I've seen it offered in high buck places. Go for it.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, George
> Shirley > wrote:Mexican
>
>>limes are on sale, 20 for a dollar, anyone ever make lime marmalade?
>>
>>Bet that if you hand picked the limes for the quality and color of the
>>peel you could make a beautiful marmalade from those limes. Any hints on
>>this?
>>
>>George
>>

> No, but I've seen it offered in high buck places. Go for it.

I'm a sorta high buck guy so I will. <BSEG>

How's things in Southern Canada Barb, getting cold up there yet?

George

Mike Wilde

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:27:32 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article >, George
>> Shirley > wrote:Mexican
>>
>>>limes are on sale, 20 for a dollar, anyone ever make lime marmalade?
>>>
>>>Bet that if you hand picked the limes for the quality and color of the
>>>peel you could make a beautiful marmalade from those limes. Any hints on
>>>this?
>>>
>>>George
>>>

>> No, but I've seen it offered in high buck places. Go for it.

>I'm a sorta high buck guy so I will. <BSEG>
>
>How's things in Southern Canada Barb, getting cold up there yet?
>
>George

Long time lurker here - adding my two cents worth:

I took a swing through lime marmelade land this year - by accident.

I had picked up limes, lemons, red grapefruit, and oranges when the
limes and lemons were on sale at the local low buck grocery to make a
whole bunch of batchs of a four cirtrus marm that I and my mom's
family like, and I got side tracked from the job for a few days.

I forgot to tell my wife what the stuff was for, so by the time I got
to it I found that some of the grapefruit had gone to the breakfasts
that I had skipped going to work early to get a pressing project out,

The lemon supply was eaten into as a low cal way to dress up diet coke
for the afternoon entertaining or whatever when a few of the girls and
thier kids had dropped by.

So after two batches of four cirtrus there was still a good surplus in
the bag the limes came packaged in and orange One grapefruit that I
dontated to tomorrows breakfast supply, and ornges are always an easy
sell to the kids.

I believe that the recipe for all lime marm was based on a recipe from
a library book I had on loan at the time - 'Preserves by Madeline' I
think was the book's name - Madeline Bulwiinkle was the way I recall
the authors name, but I might have likely mis-spelled it a bit.

Quite a good book - it takes the mystery out of jam and jelly and
marm'ing as to when stuff will set without added pectin, good high and
low natural pectin fruit pairings etc. Not just a 'here are the
recipes book' but instead good sections on ponts like:
' why do or dont they work'
'how can you figure out before it is all BWB's and the product is
running like water inside the jars' that the batch isn't going to work
out.

Anyways - on to the lime marm. - slice the limes as thinly as is
humanly possible. A very sharp knife, and good light is a big help.

Put the sliced limes (less any seedy bits, but with all jiuce scraped
from cutting board) in a sauce pot, cover the lime slicings with
water, and put it, covered, on low simmer for a few hours, stirring
occasionionally.

Then I let the pot cool for a few hours, then stuck it in the fridge
overnight.

The next night after work, I transferred the work in progress to a jam
kettle, added a bit more water to cover, and simmered it low,
uncovered, until it was thick, and the rinds were still not too chewy.

The pre-cook and soak overnight goes a long way to softening the lime
rinds, which are the toughest of the common citrus friuts that I
regularly come across.

I tested extracted teaspoon or so quanity samples a few times in 91%
iso alcohol to see when it was thick enough to set; ie when enough
water has steamed off from the low simmer, but not too hot to kill the
pectin structure.

When the sample turns into one glob in the alcohol in the little glass
measuring cup that I use for the purpose the majic pectin point is
reached. Throw the sample away- not back in the pot..

Then I cranked up the heat towards high and added enough sugar to
match up with the proportion of mash to the four fruit mash that I had
made the night before. Because there was less mash, in my estimation,
I only added something like 5 cups of sugar, versus the usual 4 citrus
marm call for 7. The 'thickness when heated' just after all the sugar
had liqified (add and 'melt' one cupful at a time) looked good with 5
cups as well.) A bit of the stuff pulled out and dropped inot a glass
with a few ice cubes in it gave a tste in porgress that there was
enough sugar to taste for my liking, and enough sugar that all the
water should be tied up by pectins sugar chains once it had cooled
naturally on its own.

I heated things up, and did other things in the kitchen - wipe down
yesterdays jars, label, sterilise more jars in the BWB, etc. all the
while regularly stirring the blubbing mixture. Along the way I put
several clean little plates in the freezer.

Once the 'blubs' sound that the mixture is getting thick, put a
spoonful on a chilled plate, and pop it back into the freezer for a
bit. After a minute, drag the back of a spoon though it. If the
parted sample stays parted, then take the pot permanently off the heat
and get ladling into prepared jars. If the sample isn't ready to stay
parted, but is getting close, then take the pot off of the heat while
you are doing future samples, so as not to risk standing the stirring
spoon in a pot of still hot marm (it is not a fun pot to clean from
that condition, trust me.)

The end product was still a bit runny the next morning, but after a
week siting still on shelves in the the basement it had set up just
fine.

And ooh is it a sweet/sour combo.I find that it's sour overpowers
white bread toast, but it is a great topper for bran muffins that I
make with a good bit of molasses in the recipe.

I know that most of the regular crowd on this newsgroup knows how to
make jams, but the blow by blow account was done for those who may not
know that there is a way to do this beyond what the back of the
certo/surejell box says.

Mike.

By the way - Geoirge - all the leaves are off my maple tree here in
Toronto, so there is a weekend of raking to be done. Tthe only
challenge is the high tomorrow is to be be aroud zero C with the wind.
Maybe the leaves can wait for a warmer day to turn up.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George
Shirley > wrote:

> >>Bet that if you hand picked the limes for the quality and color of the
> >>peel you could make a beautiful marmalade from those limes. Any hints
> >>on
> >>this?
> >>
> >>George

> > No, but I've seen it offered in high buck places. Go for it.

> I'm a sorta high buck guy so I will. <BSEG>

That's what Miz Anne tells me. Big spender.

> How's things in Southern Canada Barb, getting cold up there yet?
>
> George

Smartass. Freezing my keester today, thanks. Not sure, but we may have
had below-zero wind chill temp equivalents today. The sun was in my
eyes on the drive home, though -- I went to a foo-foo charity thang in
St. Paul today and was mightily glad I parked in the hotel ramp and
didn't have to be outside for more than about a minute. Jay-zuzz!! And
the weather forecasters are predicting a "real" Minnesota winter this
year -- we've had wimpy winter weather for the last 3-5 years. Glad you
asked, huh.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>No, but I've seen it offered in high buck places. Go for it.

>>I'm a sorta high buck guy so I will. <BSEG>

> That's what Miz Anne tells me. Big spender.
>
>>How's things in Southern Canada Barb, getting cold up there yet?
>>
>>George

> Smartass. Freezing my keester today, thanks. Not sure, but we may have
> had below-zero wind chill temp equivalents today. The sun was in my
> eyes on the drive home, though -- I went to a foo-foo charity thang in
> St. Paul today and was mightily glad I parked in the hotel ramp and
> didn't have to be outside for more than about a minute. Jay-zuzz!! And
> the weather forecasters are predicting a "real" Minnesota winter this
> year -- we've had wimpy winter weather for the last 3-5 years. Glad you
> asked, huh.

You'll be pleased to know that late afternoon temps were at 80F today.
Just got in from taking my girl to the Cracker Barrel as we have no
place to eat meals at the moment. It sucked big time. I sent the roast
beef and gravy back because it was so salty I couldn't eat it. The
manager agreed with me so I got something else. The wife had the grilled
catfish and it was okay. Why me?

TV disconnected, no chairs or couch to sit on so I guess it's early to
bed. (Evil snicker)

George

Kathi

<snip>

> Mike.
>
> By the way - Geoirge - all the leaves are off my maple tree here in
> Toronto, so there is a weekend of raking to be done. Tthe only
> challenge is the high tomorrow is to be be aroud zero C with the wind.
> Maybe the leaves can wait for a warmer day to turn up.

or, maybe the leaves will get covered with snow (predicted later in 5
day forecast)and you won't have to worry about them until spring ;-)

Kathi,
Carleton Place, got a cozy fire going in the wood stove tonight!

great post on the lime marmalade by the way
The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> I'm sitting here listening to the three men talking while they lay a
> laminate floor in the house and thinking of making marmalade this afternoon.
>
> The kumquats aren't quite ripe enough yet so will make some of that
> after Thanksgiving, thinking of red grapefruit though. Made some of that
> a few years ago and it was very good. Of course the price of Rio or ruby
> reds is fairly high right now so maybe around Xmas time when they go to
> 8 for a dollar or something like that. Oranges are pricey here,Mexican
> limes are on sale, 20 for a dollar, anyone ever make lime marmalade?
>
> Bet that if you hand picked the limes for the quality and color of the
> peel you could make a beautiful marmalade from those limes. Any hints on
> this?
>
> George

I, too, have a hankering for lime marmalade. I googled around for a recipe, and
found lots of commercial done lime marmalade. We could start a movement!
And Ruby Red sounds good, too. I won't eat anything else. The Texas reds
I think are best, the California I tasted were not as good.
Edrena

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George
Shirley > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> >>I'm a sorta high buck guy so I will. <BSEG>

> > That's what Miz Anne tells me. Big spender.
> >
> >>How's things in Southern Canada Barb, getting cold up there yet?
> >>
> >>George

> > Smartass. Freezing my keester today, thanks. Not sure, but we may
> > have had below-zero wind chill temp equivalents today. The sun was
> > in my eyes on the drive home, though -- I went to a foo-foo charity
> > thang in St. Paul today and was mightily glad I parked in the hotel
> > ramp and didn't have to be outside for more than about a minute.
> > Jay-zuzz!! And the weather forecasters are predicting a "real"
> > Minnesota winter this year -- we've had wimpy winter weather for
> > the last 3-5 years. Glad you asked, huh.

> You'll be pleased to know that late afternoon temps were at 80F
> today.

I'm so happy for you, I could just . . . .

>Just got in from taking my girl to the Cracker Barrel as we
> have no place to eat meals at the moment.

Why's that? What'd I miss? You redoing the kitchen?

>It sucked big time. I sent the roast beef and gravy back because it
>was so salty I couldn't eat it. The manager agreed with me so I got
>something else. The wife had the grilled catfish and it was okay. Why
>me?

Sigh. In situations like that, I try to ask myself this instead: Why
NOT me? The rain falls on the just and the unjust alike. (Matthew 5:45)
and/or
"The rain falls on the just and the unjust fellas,
only the unjust have the umbrellas!" (Ogden Nash) "-)

> TV disconnected, no chairs or couch to sit on so I guess it's early
> to bed. (Evil snicker)

You redoing the livng room, too? Jeez, George -- one thing at a time!
(I heard Miz Anne snicker, too. "-)

--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, George
> Shirley > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>That's what Miz Anne tells me. Big spender.

>>>Smartass. Freezing my keester today, thanks. Not sure, but we may
>>>have had below-zero wind chill temp equivalents today. The sun was
>>>in my eyes on the drive home, though -- I went to a foo-foo charity
>>>thang in St. Paul today and was mightily glad I parked in the hotel
>>>ramp and didn't have to be outside for more than about a minute.
>>>Jay-zuzz!! And the weather forecasters are predicting a "real"
>>>Minnesota winter this year -- we've had wimpy winter weather for
>>>the last 3-5 years. Glad you asked, huh.

>>You'll be pleased to know that late afternoon temps were at 80F
>>today.

> I'm so happy for you, I could just . . . .
>

>>Just got in from taking my girl to the Cracker Barrel as we
>>have no place to eat meals at the moment.

> Why's that? What'd I miss? You redoing the kitchen?
>

>>It sucked big time. I sent the roast beef and gravy back because it
>>was so salty I couldn't eat it. The manager agreed with me so I got
>>something else. The wife had the grilled catfish and it was okay. Why
>>me?

> Sigh. In situations like that, I try to ask myself this instead: Why
> NOT me? The rain falls on the just and the unjust alike. (Matthew 5:45)
> and/or
> "The rain falls on the just and the unjust fellas,
> only the unjust have the umbrellas!" (Ogden Nash) "-)
>

>>TV disconnected, no chairs or couch to sit on so I guess it's early
>>to bed. (Evil snicker)

> You redoing the livng room, too? Jeez, George -- one thing at a time!
> (I heard Miz Anne snicker, too. "-)
>

>>George

Kitchen was remodeled earlier but it's a kitchen, no place to eat unless
you stand up. Had laminate flooring installed in the dining and family
rooms yesterday. All the furniture from those two rooms is in the foyer,
the hallway, and in the garage. Next we clean out her art room, 13X18
feet of "stuff" and then the floor guys come back and lay the floor in
there. Did I mention I have to take the old carpet and tack strips up,
fill in the small holes made by the cement nails way back when (biggest
is only about 1 inch across and 1/8 inch deep so not a problem). Today
we're painting quarterround and will install it along the baseboards in
the two rooms with laminate flooring to hide the 1/8 inch gap that
allows the floor to "float." Life is grand when you're 64 yo and trying
to go up and down ladders, bend over, kneel down, etc. All that is easy,
it's the getting up again that hurts. Come on down Barb, we might be
able to find the guest bedroom again soon.

George

Scott

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> I'm sitting here listening to the three men talking while they lay a
> laminate floor in the house and thinking of making marmalade this afternoon.

I made some marmalade from a mixture of blood and temple oranges--turned
out quite well.

please mail OT responses only
zxcvbob

Scott wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>

>>I'm sitting here listening to the three men talking while they lay a
>>laminate floor in the house and thinking of making marmalade this afternoon.
>>

> I made some marmalade from a mixture of blood and temple oranges--turned
> out quite well.

I hope you meant a mixture of blood *oranges* and temple oranges...

Best regards, ;-)
Bob

Scott

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I hope you meant a mixture of blood *oranges* and temple oranges...

Ya know, after I re-read the wording (after posting it, of course), I
*knew* that someone would say that!

Thinking back, I think the mix consisted of blood ORANGES, temple
oranges, plus enough navel orange to bring the mix up to the quantity I
needed.

Just made some Clementine marmalade (they were on sale); took the jars
out of the BWB about 10 minutes ago.

Can't wait until the Israeli tangerines are out (actually, they're some
sort of hybrid--I forget the name). First tasted them a couple of years
ago, now I buy about 10 crates whenever they come out--and that's
WITHOUT using them for marmalade. So incredibly sweet and tasty, they
put the Clementines from Spain (which I just used in the marmalade) to
shame. I think the Israeli ones should be out within a month or so.

please mail OT responses only
Melba's Jammin'

In article
>, Scott
> wrote:

> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
> > I hope you meant a mixture of blood *oranges* and temple oranges...

> Ya know, after I re-read the wording (after posting it, of course), I
> *knew* that someone would say that!

And I *knew* who it would be!! LOL!
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

marmalade werwiniskp Baking 0 10-03-2009 02:03 PM
marmalade Ron Dorland[_2_] Preserving 4 18-02-2008 08:28 PM
Lemon marmalade - why have I got liquid on top of set marmalade? aspley General Cooking 3 26-03-2006 02:24 PM
I can make great wine WHY? can't I make grape Jelly HonkingGoose Preserving 6 12-10-2005 03:21 AM
About marmalade George Shirley Preserving 1 26-05-2005 02:46 AM