Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default marmalade

lost/threw away/ate? my marmalade recipe. It involved equal weights of
Seville and Blood oranges and lots of sugar. Then just at the end of
cooking a big dollop of Scotch whiskey. Variation on a Delia Smith
recipe? Any suggestions? Thanks

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Ron Dorland" > wrote in message
> lost/threw away/ate? my marmalade recipe. It involved equal weights of
> Seville and Blood oranges and lots of sugar. Then just at the end of
> cooking a big dollop of Scotch whiskey. Variation on a Delia Smith
> recipe? Any suggestions? Thanks

mmmmm...sounds good....ideas? no, sorry...but I'll watch this
thread.........

got my sevilles and lemons yesterday...tomorrow is marmalade day.....WITH
one pouch liquid Certo as per package recipe - had too many marmalade flops
over the last 3 years....

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ron Dorland wrote:
> lost/threw away/ate? my marmalade recipe. It involved equal weights of
> Seville and Blood oranges and lots of sugar. Then just at the end of
> cooking a big dollop of Scotch whiskey. Variation on a Delia Smith
> recipe? Any suggestions? Thanks

Don't know, but here's her Seville marmalade:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/t...e,1223,RC.html

And her dark chunky marmalade:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/d...e,1047,RC.html

Serene
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> lost/threw away/ate? my marmalade recipe. It involved equal weights of
> Seville and Blood oranges and lots of sugar. Then just at the end of
> cooking a big dollop of Scotch whiskey. Variation on a Delia Smith
> recipe? Any suggestions? Thanks

I was looking thru my recipes folder for something else and stumbled
across this file. I think you could substitute blood oranges for the
tangerines.

I made marmalade with Seville oranges a few years ago and the judge at
the county fair disqualified it because it was bitter. It's supposed to
be bitter!! I gave several jars to an Englishman that I know and he
really liked it.

The tangerine marmalade is not bitter at all:

Bob's Tangerine Marmalade

2 pounds tangerines (I used "Honey" variety)
2 largish lemons
6 cups water
8 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup bottled lemon juice

Scrub tangerines and lemons to remove any wax or pesticide residues.
Simmer whole tangerines and lemons in 6 cups of water, covered, for a
couple of hours, then let them cool enough to handle. Cut the cooked
fruit in half and scoop out the pulp and put it back in the cooking
water. Set the tangerine peels aside for later. Discard the lemon
peels or save for another purpose. Simmer the pulp and seeds for about
a half an hour, mashing occasionally with a potato smasher. Strain the
juice out of the pulp with a jelly bag or big square of muslin cloth,
squeezing it as dry as possible. Slice the cooked tangerine peel in to
slivers and added to the strained juice in a big but shallow stock pot.

Bring pulp, juice, and peels to a boil, add sugar all at once, and cook,
stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Taste, and adjust tartness with
up to 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice ("Honey" tangerines are not very sour
at all.) Cook until 222 degrees on a candy thermometer, let cool to
about 200 degrees, and ladle into half-pint jars. Adjust caps and
process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Makes about 8 half-pints,
with a little left over.

Notes: All the peel floated to the top of the jars during processing,
so I shook them and turned them upside down after they went "ping".
Blue ribbon winner, Olmsted County Fair, 2004
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
>> lost/threw away/ate? my marmalade recipe. It involved equal weights
>> of Seville and Blood oranges and lots of sugar. Then just at the
>> end of cooking a big dollop of Scotch whiskey. Variation on a
>> Delia Smith recipe? Any suggestions? Thanks

> I was looking thru my recipes folder for something else and stumbled
> across this file. I think you could substitute blood oranges for the
> tangerines.
>
> I made marmalade with Seville oranges a few years ago and the judge at
> the county fair disqualified it because it was bitter. It's supposed
> to be bitter!! I gave several jars to an Englishman that I know and
> he really liked it.
>
> The tangerine marmalade is not bitter at all:
>
> Bob's Tangerine Marmalade
>
> 2 pounds tangerines (I used "Honey" variety)
> 2 largish lemons
> 6 cups water
> 8 cups granulated sugar
> 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice
>
> Scrub tangerines and lemons to remove any wax or pesticide residues.
> Simmer whole tangerines and lemons in 6 cups of water, covered, for a
> couple of hours, then let them cool enough to handle. Cut the cooked
> fruit in half and scoop out the pulp and put it back in the cooking
> water. Set the tangerine peels aside for later. Discard the lemon
> peels or save for another purpose. Simmer the pulp and seeds for
> about a half an hour, mashing occasionally with a potato smasher.
> Strain the juice out of the pulp with a jelly bag or big square of
> muslin cloth, squeezing it as dry as possible. Slice the cooked
> tangerine peel in to slivers and added to the strained juice in a big
> but shallow stock pot.
> Bring pulp, juice, and peels to a boil, add sugar all at once, and
> cook, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Taste, and adjust
> tartness with up to 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice ("Honey" tangerines
> are not very sour at all.) Cook until 222 degrees on a candy
> thermometer, let cool to about 200 degrees, and ladle into half-pint
> jars. Adjust caps and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Makes
> about 8 half-pints, with a little left over.
>
> Notes: All the peel floated to the top of the jars during processing,
> so I shook them and turned them upside down after they went "ping".
> Blue ribbon winner, Olmsted County Fair, 2004

*applause* )) Well done you!!!

marmalade Ron Dorland[_2_] Baking 1 27-01-2008 11:44 AM
Marmalade The Cook Preserving 5 28-01-2007 12:26 PM
Lemon marmalade - why have I got liquid on top of set marmalade? aspley General Cooking 3 26-03-2006 02:24 PM
About marmalade George Shirley Preserving 1 26-05-2005 02:46 AM
Marmalade Erica General Cooking 5 13-01-2004 06:22 AM