George Shirley

Default Hot chile jelly

Chopped up some Aji Limon de Peru chiles today seeds and all, bright
chrome yellow little devils, about 2 inches long. Added a couple of
chopped up yellow bells to the mix. Brought them to a boil in 2 cups
water, simmered for 15 minutes then strained through cheesecloth. Got
the exact amount of juice needed, 1.5 cups. To that I added 1.5 cups of
white vinegar. Put in one package powdered pectin and brought to a boil
and boiled 1 minute. Added all the sugar, 4 cups, and brought back to
the boil and boiled hard for 1 minute. There are 5 and one-half pints of
it sitting on a folded towel at the moment and I've heard three of them
"ping" so far. Oh yeah, BWB for 5 minutes.

From a taste of the tablespoon of jelly I didn't jar it is going to be
fairly hot. Has a pale yellow color to it, right purty as we would say
in East Texas. I've made green (jalapenos), red (various hot chiles) and
now yellow. Guess I'll have to find some purple hot chiles next. If this
is as good as the others I've made it will be good with cream cheese and
crackers, as a glaze on a ham, as a condiment for pork or beef, and
probably fairly decent on toast on a cold morning.

Life is good.

George

Kristen

George Shirley wrote:

> Chopped up some Aji Limon de Peru chiles today seeds and all, bright
> chrome yellow little devils, about 2 inches long. Added a couple of
> chopped up yellow bells to the mix. Brought them to a boil in 2 cups
> water, simmered for 15 minutes then strained through cheesecloth. Got
> the exact amount of juice needed, 1.5 cups. To that I added 1.5 cups of
> white vinegar. Put in one package powdered pectin and brought to a boil
> and boiled 1 minute. Added all the sugar, 4 cups, and brought back to
> the boil and boiled hard for 1 minute. There are 5 and one-half pints of
> it sitting on a folded towel at the moment and I've heard three of them
> "ping" so far. Oh yeah, BWB for 5 minutes.
>
> From a taste of the tablespoon of jelly I didn't jar it is going to be
> fairly hot. Has a pale yellow color to it, right purty as we would say
> in East Texas. I've made green (jalapenos), red (various hot chiles) and
> now yellow. Guess I'll have to find some purple hot chiles next. If this
> is as good as the others I've made it will be good with cream cheese and
> crackers, as a glaze on a ham, as a condiment for pork or beef, and
> probably fairly decent on toast on a cold morning.
>
> Life is good.
>
> George

George-
About how many of the chiles did you use in this recipe? I grew these
(or something similar called "hot lemon" which should work just as well)
this summer, and I still have a ton of them that I'm looking for uses
for - your recipe sounds like a good use!
Thanks!

-Kristen
George Shirley

Kristen wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>
>>Chopped up some Aji Limon de Peru chiles today seeds and all, bright
>>chrome yellow little devils, about 2 inches long. Added a couple of
>>chopped up yellow bells to the mix. Brought them to a boil in 2 cups
>>water, simmered for 15 minutes then strained through cheesecloth. Got
>>the exact amount of juice needed, 1.5 cups. To that I added 1.5 cups of
>>white vinegar. Put in one package powdered pectin and brought to a boil
>>and boiled 1 minute. Added all the sugar, 4 cups, and brought back to
>>the boil and boiled hard for 1 minute. There are 5 and one-half pints of
>>it sitting on a folded towel at the moment and I've heard three of them
>>"ping" so far. Oh yeah, BWB for 5 minutes.
>>
>> From a taste of the tablespoon of jelly I didn't jar it is going to be
>>fairly hot. Has a pale yellow color to it, right purty as we would say
>>in East Texas. I've made green (jalapenos), red (various hot chiles) and
>>now yellow. Guess I'll have to find some purple hot chiles next. If this
>>is as good as the others I've made it will be good with cream cheese and
>>crackers, as a glaze on a ham, as a condiment for pork or beef, and
>>probably fairly decent on toast on a cold morning.
>>
>>Life is good.
>>
>>George

> George-
> About how many of the chiles did you use in this recipe? I grew these
> (or something similar called "hot lemon" which should work just as well)
> this summer, and I still have a ton of them that I'm looking for uses
> for - your recipe sounds like a good use!
> Thanks!
>
> -Kristen

Two cups of the lemon and two cups of the bell. The lemons went into the
cup whole and the bells were chopped. the recipe I use calls for two
cups of each. This stuff is muy caliente so next batch will have the
Aji's gutted and capped to see if it still maintains the heat but at a
level that can be enjoyed.

I backed a tatume squash last night and put a tablespoon of the "yeller"
jelly in each half. Was very tasty and not so hot you couldn't enjoy it.

You're right Kristen, the first ones I grew were just called "Hot Lemon"
but this batch of seed came straight out of Peru to me. Looks to be the
same chile to my eye and taste. Very prolific plant and easy to tell
when they are ripe and ready to pick.

The recipes in the Certo pack are good and one of the powdered pectin
brand has a recipe for "hot pepper jelly" that works well. the one I use
is made up from two different recipes I downloaded off the web several
years ago plus I play with each batch. The red jalapeno/red bell I made
a few years ago was insipid, hardly any heat at all. the green
jalapeno/green bell was a little better. the red/red I made last year
was pretty good and the hots were a mix of a Morrocan chile and a New
Mexico chile that came off a ristra and some red Longhorns out of the
garden. Not quite enough fire to suit me but I will make some more and
leave the seeds and placenta in next time.

George

zxcvbob

George Shirley wrote:
> Chopped up some Aji Limon de Peru chiles today seeds and all, bright
> chrome yellow little devils, about 2 inches long. Added a couple of
> chopped up yellow bells to the mix. Brought them to a boil in 2 cups
> water, simmered for 15 minutes then strained through cheesecloth. Got
> the exact amount of juice needed, 1.5 cups. To that I added 1.5 cups of
> white vinegar. Put in one package powdered pectin and brought to a boil
> and boiled 1 minute. Added all the sugar, 4 cups, and brought back to
> the boil and boiled hard for 1 minute. There are 5 and one-half pints of
> it sitting on a folded towel at the moment and I've heard three of them
> "ping" so far. Oh yeah, BWB for 5 minutes.
>
> From a taste of the tablespoon of jelly I didn't jar it is going to be
> fairly hot. Has a pale yellow color to it, right purty as we would say
> in East Texas. I've made green (jalapenos), red (various hot chiles) and
> now yellow. Guess I'll have to find some purple hot chiles next. If this
> is as good as the others I've made it will be good with cream cheese and
> crackers, as a glaze on a ham, as a condiment for pork or beef, and
> probably fairly decent on toast on a cold morning.
>
> Life is good.
>
> George

I never can get pepper jelly hot enough. The apricot - habanero jam I made
a few years ago is almost hot.

They sound hotter than the aji peppers I grow -- mine are about 4 to 6
inches long, and I pick them still green (yellow green). If I leave them
on the plant long enough they turn orange. The bushes get about 5 or 6
feet tall here in Southern Canada. I made Ross Reid's "Rings of Fire" with
them 2 years ago. I didn't get enough of *anything* this year to put
anything up. I'm experimenting with odd jellies this year from whatever
fruit I can get free or cheap. The can of cheap cranberry sauce I added to
the wild pears added a lot of pectin did a good job of giving the juice a
rosy color.

I should have stopped while I was driving through Oklahoma and picked some
'simmons. I've never seen wild 'simmon trees so loaded down with fruit.
But they might not be ripe yet. There's not much that's worse than an
unripe persimmon; unless maybe it's the unripe baby red bananas I bought at
Fiesta supermarket a couple of weeks ago.

Bob

George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Chopped up some Aji Limon de Peru chiles today seeds and all, bright
>> chrome yellow little devils, about 2 inches long. Added a couple of
>> chopped up yellow bells to the mix. Brought them to a boil in 2 cups
>> water, simmered for 15 minutes then strained through cheesecloth. Got
>> the exact amount of juice needed, 1.5 cups. To that I added 1.5 cups
>> of white vinegar. Put in one package powdered pectin and brought to a
>> boil and boiled 1 minute. Added all the sugar, 4 cups, and brought
>> back to the boil and boiled hard for 1 minute. There are 5 and
>> one-half pints of it sitting on a folded towel at the moment and I've
>> heard three of them "ping" so far. Oh yeah, BWB for 5 minutes.
>>
>> From a taste of the tablespoon of jelly I didn't jar it is going to
>> be fairly hot. Has a pale yellow color to it, right purty as we would
>> say in East Texas. I've made green (jalapenos), red (various hot
>> chiles) and now yellow. Guess I'll have to find some purple hot chiles
>> next. If this is as good as the others I've made it will be good with
>> cream cheese and crackers, as a glaze on a ham, as a condiment for
>> pork or beef, and probably fairly decent on toast on a cold morning.
>>
>> Life is good.
>>
>> George
>>

> I never can get pepper jelly hot enough. The apricot - habanero jam I
> made a few years ago is almost hot.
>
> They sound hotter than the aji peppers I grow -- mine are about 4 to 6
> inches long, and I pick them still green (yellow green). If I leave
> them on the plant long enough they turn orange. The bushes get about 5
> or 6 feet tall here in Southern Canada. I made Ross Reid's "Rings of
> Fire" with them 2 years ago. I didn't get enough of *anything* this
> year to put anything up. I'm experimenting with odd jellies this year
> from whatever fruit I can get free or cheap. The can of cheap cranberry
> sauce I added to the wild pears added a lot of pectin did a good job of
> giving the juice a rosy color.
>
> I should have stopped while I was driving through Oklahoma and picked
> some 'simmons. I've never seen wild 'simmon trees so loaded down with
> fruit. But they might not be ripe yet. There's not much that's worse
> than an unripe persimmon; unless maybe it's the unripe baby red bananas
> I bought at Fiesta supermarket a couple of weeks ago.
>
> Bob

Lots of chiles are called Aji this or that, just means old in Spanish.
the Aji Limon de Peru is also known as Hot Lemons in this country.
Largest I've grown have been about 3 inches.

To make the hot jelly you have to leave the seeds and placenta in the
chile, chop them up, cover with water, simmer for about 15 minutes and
strain through cheesecloth. If you want the bits of flesh in the jelly
you need to deseed, cap, and chop some and simmer to tender stage and
then add to the clarified juice. I think I can cut the amount of the
Limons down to about a cup and go to three cups of yellow bell and it
would be just about right. Tried some of the stuff today, just plain on
a cracker and had to eat a piece of bread to cool off. Tonight I grilled
a couple of 1.5 inch thick sirloin strips and put the jelly on them as a
glaze while cooking. Came hot but not so hot you couldn't eat it.

My Dad loved wild persimmons. When we were deer hunting he always wanted
a stand next to a grove of simmons and then would spend the rest of the
day in the outhouse.

Fiesta Stores, ahh, love those things. When we visit Houston we always
make a point of stopping at the one in Channelview and go through the
ethnic section. They have an aisle for Arabic foods, another for
Mexican, etc. I buy about 100 bux worth to bring home and write down the
brand names for the Kroger store manager here. He's a neat person and
realizes that this area is full of oil field trash that have traveled
the world and want some of the stuff they ate while traveling. He now
has an ethnic aisle with foods from all over the world. I always take my
shopping and cooking class down that aisle.

George

zxcvbob

George Shirley wrote:

> Lots of chiles are called Aji this or that, just means old in Spanish.
> the Aji Limon de Peru is also known as Hot Lemons in this country.
> Largest I've grown have been about 3 inches.

I use the term "aji" to refer to capsicum baccatum, the species commonly
grown in South America. I dunno why they are not more common in North
America. A good thing about them is they will not cross with any of the
other species of peppers -- so if you only grow one variety of baccatums at
a time you can save the seeds and keep the variety pure.

Best regards,
Bob

Kristen

George Shirley wrote:

> Two cups of the lemon and two cups of the bell. The lemons went into the
> cup whole and the bells were chopped. the recipe I use calls for two
> cups of each. This stuff is muy caliente so next batch will have the
> Aji's gutted and capped to see if it still maintains the heat but at a
> level that can be enjoyed.
>
> I backed a tatume squash last night and put a tablespoon of the "yeller"
> jelly in each half. Was very tasty and not so hot you couldn't enjoy it.
>
> You're right Kristen, the first ones I grew were just called "Hot Lemon"
> but this batch of seed came straight out of Peru to me. Looks to be the
> same chile to my eye and taste. Very prolific plant and easy to tell
> when they are ripe and ready to pick.
>
> The recipes in the Certo pack are good and one of the powdered pectin
> brand has a recipe for "hot pepper jelly" that works well. the one I use
> is made up from two different recipes I downloaded off the web several
> years ago plus I play with each batch. The red jalapeno/red bell I made
> a few years ago was insipid, hardly any heat at all. the green
> jalapeno/green bell was a little better. the red/red I made last year
> was pretty good and the hots were a mix of a Morrocan chile and a New
> Mexico chile that came off a ristra and some red Longhorns out of the
> garden. Not quite enough fire to suit me but I will make some more and
> leave the seeds and placenta in next time.
>
> George

Thanks for the all help, George! Not only on how to make the jelly, but
how to use it, too. I made a jalapeno jelly a few years ago, but never
really figured out how to use it, so I gave it all away.
This is my first year growing this particular pepper, and I've been
having a ball feeding them to unsuspecting people who say they can "eat
any pepper with no problem". Seems they all have a problem eating this
one without at least breaking a sweat .
And the Hot Lemon plants certainly were incredibly prolific! I planted
two and have literally hundreds of evil little yellow peppers. As much
as I love growing hot peppers, I'm not much for eating them,
unfortunately. These in particular have a great flavor, if you can
dilute them enough for us weak people to get around the heat, though.
Perhaps I'll make a "full flavor" version of this jelly for my hot
pepper loving friends, and a milder batch for myself.
Thanks again for your help.

-Kristen

Chile Macho (Green Chile Sauce) Terry Pogue Recipes (moderated) 0 02-02-2010 12:03 PM
CHILE COLORADO CON CARNE (RED CHILE WITH MEAT) Old Magic1 Mexican Cooking 1 19-03-2005 07:31 PM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Beer 3 27-01-2005 03:03 AM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Chocolate 0 25-01-2005 04:00 PM
Jelly Palm jelly? TM Preserving 8 26-07-2004 10:47 PM