Old Magic1

Default CHILE COLORADO CON CARNE (RED CHILE WITH MEAT)

Is this is the way they make chile in northern Mexico?

CHILE COLORADO CON CARNE (RED CHILE WITH MEAT)

2 lbs. beef stew-meat
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1¾ cups water
5 dried California chiles
1 dried New Mexico chile
water
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon dried leaf Mexican oregano, crushed
¼ teaspoon ground cumin

Cut meat into bite-size pieces.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy skillet or Dutch oven.
Add meat.
Cook until browned.
Add water.
Cover and simmer 1 hour.
While meat is cooking, place both California and New Mexico chiles in a
medium saucepan.
Add water to cover generously.
Cover and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and let stand until softened, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Drain chiles.
Discard stems and seeds.
Place chiles in blender with about 1/2 cup cooking broth from meat.
Blend until puréed.
Press puree through a sieve to remove bits of peel.
Add sieved puree to meat and broth.
Mash garlic with salt to make a paste.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet.
Add garlic paste and onion.
Cook until onion is very tender but not browned.
Add flour.
Cook and stir 1 minute.
Add onion mixture, oregano and cumin to meat mixture.
Cover and simmer 1½ hours.
Taste and add more salt if needed.

Variation: For a hotter dish, substitute as many New Mexico chiles as
desired for California chiles or use Habaneros.
If dried whole chiles are not available, substitute 1/4 to 1/3 cup chile
powder.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

country : Mexico
course : beef dish

source : Mexican Cookery / Barbara Hansen

--
Old Magic 1

krusty kritter

Old Magic1 wrote:
> Is this is the way they make chile in northern Mexico?
>
> CHILE COLORADO CON CARNE (RED CHILE WITH MEAT)

(snip)

That's the way I like it. NO beans. My friend's mom was part Pueblo
Indian from New Mexico and that's the way she made it, first time I
ever had Chile Colorado. I stopped at a taqueria that was once called
Lucy's, and they used to make Chile Colorado the same way, with
delicious big juicy junks of beef. But the new cook made his
version of "chile colorado" with the same thin beef cuts he would use
for carne asada, and covered it with something that tasted more like
BBQ sauce. It was dry, it tasted all wrong. I'll never go back
*there*...

Carne con Chile de Mexican Cooking 1 13-06-2006 03:01 PM
Gorditas de Chile Colorado Richard Lee Holbert Recipes (moderated) 0 26-05-2005 04:37 AM
OT Pork cut in chile con carne Q Piedmont Barbecue 0 23-01-2005 02:24 AM
chile colorado sf General Cooking 7 11-01-2005 08:03 AM
chile colorado sf General Cooking 0 09-01-2005 08:17 PM