Bruce Yates

Default jelly molding

Using the following old recipe but I am substituting Splenda for the
sugar and using sugar free Jello. The jelly (or jam) molds in the
fridge a couple of weeks after opening. I am assuming the sugar might
be a preservative. Has a wonderful flavor with all kinds of jello
flavors. Any ideas on how to prevent this? Need to stay on a low sugar
diet.

Thanks,
Bruce

2 packages family size strawberry jello
3 cups sugar
8 cups ripe figs, crushed

Combine all ingredients in large heavy pan. Cook over medium heat for
20
or 30 minutes, stirring often. Pour into hot, sterile jars. Close with
preheated 2 piece lids. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
Yield
3 to 4 pints.

George Shirley

I'm a diabetic Bruce, since about 1991. Make lots of jelly and jam but
have never been able to get any of it to look, taste, or gel right with
Splenda, aspartame, or saccharin. Consequently I just eat regular
jellies and jams but a lot less of it. I enjoy Splenda in baked things
but they say that you can only substitute 2 cups maximum and most
jellies and jams call for a lot more than that.

What you're making sounds like the old sixties jams made with figs and
jello but I never liked strawberries so didn't make any. <VBG>

Sugar is just another carbohydrate and if you plan your daily menu right
you can eat some jelly or jam with your biscuits or toast. Being
southron I eat mine with biscuits. B-)

And you're right about the sugar being a preservative. Get enough sugar
in something and hardly anything will eat it except humans and other
primates.

George

Jelly The Cook Preserving 5 11-10-2005 07:34 PM
It's jelly! Serene Preserving 0 27-03-2005 07:59 AM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Beer 3 27-01-2005 03:03 AM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Chocolate 0 25-01-2005 04:00 PM
Jelly Palm jelly? TM Preserving 8 26-07-2004 10:47 PM