Kate

Default My grape jelly is too hard!

I wondered if this would happen since I realised that jelly making and
candy making aren't too different- and it did happen on at least one
batch. My grape jelly is too hard! These particular Siberian grapes
need pectin to gel- I cooked them for hours and they didn't gel
without it. So, I used 6 cups juice, 7 cups sugar, one packet pectin
and the juice of one lime. (I needed acid to get it to gel too.) one
batch is so hard that I can't get my butter knife into it. :-(

I was thinking of heating the jelly in a hot water bath until it's
liquid, pouring the jars into a pot and adding more juice. But how
much? I don't have anymore Siberian grapes left, but I do have access
to some sour Concords so I guess I would mix? or could I add a bit of
apple juice? I know there's pectin in the apples but would it be too
much?

oddly, I couldn't find any reference to "hard" jelly via googlgroups-
maybe all you experienced call it too firm?

kate

=====
Kate, http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/a...f-formula.html
Mom to Ursula (8), Sage (6), Benno (2.5) Books just wanna be FREE!
See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/kolina

http://www.blogforamerica.com/
Deb

You could pour it into a cake pan (like a 11"x 15") after you melt
it. When it firms up again, cut into squares, dust in that super
fine sugar and serve it like candy.

I once made rose hip and hawthorn jelly that turned into candy
squares. It was delightful. ;>

Deb
--
(in Oregon, the pacific northWET) ;>

"Kate" > wrote in message
m...
> I wondered if this would happen since I realised that jelly making

and
> candy making aren't too different- and it did happen on at least

one
> batch. My grape jelly is too hard! These particular Siberian

grapes
> need pectin to gel- I cooked them for hours and they didn't gel
> without it. So, I used 6 cups juice, 7 cups sugar, one packet

pectin
> and the juice of one lime. (I needed acid to get it to gel too.)

one
> batch is so hard that I can't get my butter knife into it. :-(
>
> I was thinking of heating the jelly in a hot water bath until it's
> liquid, pouring the jars into a pot and adding more juice. But

how
> much? I don't have anymore Siberian grapes left, but I do have

access
> to some sour Concords so I guess I would mix? or could I add a

bit of
> apple juice? I know there's pectin in the apples but would it be

too
> much?
>
> oddly, I couldn't find any reference to "hard" jelly via

googlgroups-
> maybe all you experienced call it too firm?
>
> kate
>
> =====
> Kate,

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/a...f-formula.html
> Mom to Ursula (8), Sage (6), Benno (2.5) Books just wanna be

FREE!
> See what I mean at:
> http://bookcrossing.com/friend/kolina
>
> http://www.blogforamerica.com/

William R. Watt

I think the problem is too much water was boiled off.
In an earlier post in this newsgroup someone mentioned reheating the firm
jelly and adding a bit of water.

I got some firm jelly too but I just slice it thin and lay it on the bread
instead of spreading it as I can't be bothered reheating it and adding
water.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Wine Grape Jelly The Cook Preserving 1 14-08-2007 07:10 PM
Grape Jelly Meatballs Mom2SamTiny Recipes (moderated) 0 12-12-2006 03:57 AM
Apple Grape Jelly Deweydecimal Recipes (moderated) 0 19-09-2006 04:53 AM
grape jelly Ron w Recipes 0 16-09-2004 05:17 PM
Quice Jelly or How Hard Can It Be? The Joneses Preserving 14 15-10-2003 03:56 PM