George Shirley

Default Recipe for whole-grain crackers

Note on this recipe says it was taken and adapted from Cooking Light
1988 cookbook.

Nutty Whole-Grain Crackers

1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats - uncooked
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup ground walnuts
1 tablespoon sugar (made it last time with Splenda and it was good)
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons water, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt, divided

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Add 2/3 cup
water and oil, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Divide dough in half. Roll half of dough to a 12X12 inch square on an
ungreased baking sheet. Cut into 2-inch squares. Brush dough with 1
teaspoon water; sprinkle evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Repeat procedure
with remaining half of dough. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until crisp
and lightly browned.

Separate crackers; remove from baking sheets, and cool on wire racks.
Store in an air-tight container. (I vacuum sealed them in jars and bags,
tossed one bag on shelf and checked it in a month, then in two more and
threw them away at six months) I ate the ones in the jars too quick to
check.

Yield: 6 dozen crackers (32 calories each if made with sugar)

protein 1.0/fat 1.3/carbohydrate 4.2/cholesterol 0/iron 0.3/sodium
8/calcium 3

George

The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> Note on this recipe says it was taken and adapted from Cooking Light
> 1988 cookbook.
>
> Nutty Whole-Grain Crackers
>
> 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats - uncooked
> 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
> 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
> 1/4 cup wheat germ
> 1/4 cup ground walnuts
> 1 tablespoon sugar (made it last time with Splenda and it was good)
> 2/3 cup water
> 1/4 cup vegetable oil
> 2 teaspoons water, divided
> 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
>
> Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Add 2/3 cup
> water and oil, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
>
> Divide dough in half. Roll half of dough to a 12X12 inch square on an
> ungreased baking sheet. Cut into 2-inch squares. Brush dough with 1
> teaspoon water; sprinkle evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Repeat procedure
> with remaining half of dough. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until crisp
> and lightly browned.
>
> Separate crackers; remove from baking sheets, and cool on wire racks.
> Store in an air-tight container. (I vacuum sealed them in jars and bags,
> tossed one bag on shelf and checked it in a month, then in two more and
> threw them away at six months) I ate the ones in the jars too quick to
> check.
>
> Yield: 6 dozen crackers (32 calories each if made with sugar)
>
> protein 1.0/fat 1.3/carbohydrate 4.2/cholesterol 0/iron 0.3/sodium
> 8/calcium 3
>
> George

Thanks, George, looking forward to trying it. How thin would you say y'all
rolled it? I may try it twice as thick, then bake a little longer for a
dryer product.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

The Joneses wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>

>>Note on this recipe says it was taken and adapted from Cooking Light
>>1988 cookbook.
>>
>>Nutty Whole-Grain Crackers
>>
>>1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats - uncooked
>>1/2 cup all-purpose flour
>>1/2 cup whole wheat flour
>>1/4 cup wheat germ
>>1/4 cup ground walnuts
>>1 tablespoon sugar (made it last time with Splenda and it was good)
>>2/3 cup water
>>1/4 cup vegetable oil
>>2 teaspoons water, divided
>>1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
>>
>>Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Add 2/3 cup
>>water and oil, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
>>
>>Divide dough in half. Roll half of dough to a 12X12 inch square on an
>>ungreased baking sheet. Cut into 2-inch squares. Brush dough with 1
>>teaspoon water; sprinkle evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Repeat procedure
>>with remaining half of dough. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes or until crisp
>>and lightly browned.
>>
>>Separate crackers; remove from baking sheets, and cool on wire racks.
>>Store in an air-tight container. (I vacuum sealed them in jars and bags,
>>tossed one bag on shelf and checked it in a month, then in two more and
>>threw them away at six months) I ate the ones in the jars too quick to
>>check.
>>
>>Yield: 6 dozen crackers (32 calories each if made with sugar)
>>
>>protein 1.0/fat 1.3/carbohydrate 4.2/cholesterol 0/iron 0.3/sodium
>>8/calcium 3
>>
>>George

> Thanks, George, looking forward to trying it. How thin would you say y'all
> rolled it? I may try it twice as thick, then bake a little longer for a
> dryer product.
> Edrena

About half the thickness of a Ritz cracker, makes 'em real crunchy. Be
worth trying much thicker and larger in dimension too.

George