Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Animal crackers recipe?

Hi,

I am looking for a recipe for what Americans term "animal crackers" -
like the ones shown here http://tinyurl.com/4vp42m .

I think these kinds of snacks might be called "biscuits" or "crisps"
in other countries, but I'm not sure. They are sort of hard/crunchy,
slightly sweet, not frosted, and somewhat bland (usually vanilla or
sometimes lemon flavored). Most folks who grew up in the US have eaten
these by the pound during childhood. They definitely are not flaky or
crumbly like a pastry and are not sugar cookies. They apparently can
be made with little fat. Williams-Sonoma offers a mix, but I'd rather
make some from scratch.

I have searched teh Internets to no avail and have found only 1 recipe
(http://tinyurl.com/3zm6w7 - posted ubiquitously) that claims to make
animal crackers, but the reviews are kind of negative. I'm wondering
if I'm using the wrong search terms... Can anyone help me out, please?
Better search terms would be great, a tested-and-true recipe would be
ideal.

Thanks in advance,
June

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://tinyurl.com/4vp42m .

> Thanks in advance,
> June

Wiki says the Nabisco version is made with
"Flour, sugar, shortening, corn flour, whey solids, salt, leaving and
oil-of-lemon"

I am trying to think of a cookie/biscuit with a similar texture but
there really isn't anything quite like an animal cracker.

Probably more flour than a regular cookie, less fat, less sugar, no
eggs, and baked low and slow.

Sorry...not much help.

Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://tinyurl.com/4vp42m .

>> Thanks in advance,
>> June
>>

> Wiki says the Nabisco version is made with
> "Flour, sugar, shortening, corn flour, whey solids, salt, leaving and
> oil-of-lemon"
>
> I am trying to think of a cookie/biscuit with a similar texture but
> there really isn't anything quite like an animal cracker.
>
> Probably more flour than a regular cookie, less fat, less sugar, no
> eggs, and baked low and slow.
>
> Sorry...not much help.
>
> Tracy

Try this one?

INGREDIENTS
a.. 40 g rolled oats
b.. 95 g all-purpose flour
c.. 1 g baking soda
d.. 2 g salt
e.. 55 g butter
f.. 10 ml honey
g.. 60 ml buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grind oats until fine
using a blender or food processor.
1.. In a medium bowl, stir together the blended oats, flour, baking soda
and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or your fingers until the
butter lumps are smaller than peas. Stir in the buttermilk and honey to form
a stiff dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8 inch
in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1
inch apart onto cookie sheets.
2.. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes in the preheated oven, until edges are lightly
browned. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 27, 7:36 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> Try this one?

Right, that's the ubiquitously posted recipe that I had in my original
post - it has kind of negative reviews on the site that I linked to.

Thanks for trying, though.

-j.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 27, 8:55*am, " > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a recipe for what Americans term "animal crackers" -
> like the ones shown herehttp://tinyurl.com/4vp42m.
>
> I think these kinds of snacks might be called "biscuits" or "crisps"
> in other countries, but I'm not sure. They are sort of hard/crunchy,
> slightly sweet, not frosted, and somewhat bland (usually vanilla or
> sometimes lemon flavored). Most folks who grew up in the US have eaten
> these by the pound during childhood. They definitely are not flaky or
> crumbly like a pastry and are not sugar cookies. They apparently can
> be made with little fat. Williams-Sonoma offers a mix, but I'd rather
> make some from scratch.
>
> I have searched teh Internets to no avail and have found only 1 recipe
> (http://tinyurl.com/3zm6w7- posted ubiquitously) that claims to make
> animal crackers, but the reviews are kind of negative. I'm wondering
> if I'm using the wrong search terms... Can anyone help me out, please?
> Better search terms would be great, a tested-and-true recipe would be
> ideal.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> June

Just where the hell have you been, anyway? Have you been posting and
I've missed it? LOL.

Somewhere at home, I have one of those really heavy cast-iron shape
baking molds for circus figures - it came with an "animal cracker"
recipe. I'll dig it out - not sure if it will taste the same as the
commercial ones. To me, the only ones that taste "right" are the ones
in the circus-wagon box with the carrying string on top. ;-)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 May 2008 06:55:47 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>Better search terms would be great, a tested-and-true recipe would be
>ideal.

Animal crackers remind me of arrowroot cookies -- sometimes called
arrowroot crackers. You might have luck searching for and trying an
arrowroot cookie recipe. I'm sorry that I don't have a recipe to
share.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2008 06:55:47 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> Better search terms would be great, a tested-and-true recipe would be
>> ideal.

> Animal crackers remind me of arrowroot cookies -- sometimes called
> arrowroot crackers. You might have luck searching for and trying an
> arrowroot cookie recipe. I'm sorry that I don't have a recipe to
> share.
>
> Tara

Yes!!! I've been trying to think of the name "arrowroot cookies"
since I first saw June's post. That's what they remind me of, but
animal crackers are a bit denser.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a recipe for what Americans term "animal crackers" -
> like the ones shown here http://tinyurl.com/4vp42m .
>
> I think these kinds of snacks might be called "biscuits" or "crisps"
> in other countries, but I'm not sure. They are sort of hard/crunchy,
> slightly sweet, not frosted, and somewhat bland (usually vanilla or
> sometimes lemon flavored). Most folks who grew up in the US have eaten
> these by the pound during childhood. They definitely are not flaky or
> crumbly like a pastry and are not sugar cookies. They apparently can
> be made with little fat. Williams-Sonoma offers a mix, but I'd rather
> make some from scratch.
>
> I have searched teh Internets to no avail and have found only 1 recipe
> (http://tinyurl.com/3zm6w7 - posted ubiquitously) that claims to make
> animal crackers, but the reviews are kind of negative. I'm wondering
> if I'm using the wrong search terms... Can anyone help me out, please?
> Better search terms would be great, a tested-and-true recipe would be
> ideal.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> June

Here you go; Looks like you can scale this; Caution don't use Marj with
water.

1 lb. margarine
3 3/4 c. sugar
10 tbsp. milk
5 eggs
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. vanilla
8 or 9 c. flour (enough to make dough
stiff)

Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla and milk. Blend thoroughly.
Add sodas to flour. Add flour to first mixture, a little at a time.
Blending well after each addition. Roll on floured board and cut into
desired animal shapes with cutters. Bake at 350 degrees 7 to 10 minutes.
Makes 20 dozen cookies.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 12:55 pm, Nancy2 > wrote:

> Just where the hell have you been, anyway? Have you been posting and
> I've missed it? LOL.

No, I just dropped back in because I couldn't find an animal cookie
recipe on my own... Needed to call on the collective hive mind here!

-j.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 5:30 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> Here you go; Looks like you can scale this; Caution don't use Marj with
> water.

Oooh... This sounds promising. Thanks!

-j.

> 1 lb. margarine
> 3 3/4 c. sugar
> 10 tbsp. milk
> 5 eggs
> 2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
> 2 tbsp. vanilla
> 8 or 9 c. flour (enough to make dough
> stiff)
>
> Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla and milk. Blend thoroughly.
> Add sodas to flour. Add flour to first mixture, a little at a time.
> Blending well after each addition. Roll on floured board and cut into
> desired animal shapes with cutters. Bake at 350 degrees 7 to 10 minutes.
> Makes 20 dozen cookies.
>
> --
> Old Scoundrel
>
> (AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 27, 8:55*am, " > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a recipe for what Americans term "animal crackers" -
> like the ones shown herehttp://tinyurl.com/4vp42m.
>
> I think these kinds of snacks might be called "biscuits" or "crisps"
> in other countries, but I'm not sure. They are sort of hard/crunchy,
> slightly sweet, not frosted, and somewhat bland (usually vanilla or
> sometimes lemon flavored). Most folks who grew up in the US have eaten
> these by the pound during childhood. They definitely are not flaky or
> crumbly like a pastry and are not sugar cookies. They apparently can
> be made with little fat. Williams-Sonoma offers a mix, but I'd rather
> make some from scratch.
>
> I have searched teh Internets to no avail and have found only 1 recipe
> (http://tinyurl.com/3zm6w7- posted ubiquitously) that claims to make
> animal crackers, but the reviews are kind of negative. I'm wondering
> if I'm using the wrong search terms... Can anyone help me out, please?
> Better search terms would be great, a tested-and-true recipe would be
> ideal.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> June

June, I keep forgetting to get that recipe out of the cast iron circus
mold! I will do it this weekend, I promise.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote on Fri, 30 May 2008 22:54:36 +0100:

>> On May 27, 8:55 am, " >
>> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am looking for a recipe for what Americans term "animal
> >> crackers" - like the ones shown
> >> herehttp://tinyurl.com/4vp42m.
> >>
> >> I think these kinds of snacks might be called "biscuits" or
> >> "crisps" in other countries, but I'm not sure.

> We'd call those biscuits.

> Crisps are fine wafers of potato, deepfried.

Here's a recipe for animal crackers but if, like me, you have
little artistic ability they will look like amoebae :-)
http://tinyurl.com/5jvfyt Mostly, people buy them in a
supermarket. There used to be an excruciating children's song
called "Animal Crackers in my Soup" !

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 27, 9:14*am, Tracy > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hi,

> > I am looking for a recipe for what Americans term "animal crackers" -
> > like the ones shown herehttp://tinyurl.com/4vp42m.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > June

> Wiki says the Nabisco version is made with
> "Flour, sugar, shortening, corn flour, whey solids, salt, leaving and
> oil-of-lemon"

Why would anyone want to make a cookie with "shortening"???

> I am trying to think of a cookie/biscuit with a similar texture but
> there really isn't anything quite like an animal cracker.
>
> Probably more flour than a regular cookie, less fat, less sugar, no
> eggs, and baked low and slow.
>
> Sorry...not much help.
>
> Tracy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 5:30*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Hi,

> > I am looking for a recipe for what Americans term "animal crackers" -
> > like the ones shown herehttp://tinyurl.com/4vp42m.

> > I think these kinds of snacks might be called "biscuits" or "crisps"
> > in other countries, but I'm not sure. They are sort of hard/crunchy,
> > slightly sweet, not frosted, and somewhat bland (usually vanilla or
> > sometimes lemon flavored). Most folks who grew up in the US have eaten
> > these by the pound during childhood. They definitely are not flaky or
> > crumbly like a pastry and are not sugar cookies. They apparently can
> > be made with little fat. Williams-Sonoma offers a mix, but I'd rather
> > make some from scratch.

> > I have searched teh Internets to no avail and have found only 1 recipe
> > (http://tinyurl.com/3zm6w7- posted ubiquitously) that claims to make
> > animal crackers, but the reviews are kind of negative. I'm wondering
> > if I'm using the wrong search terms... Can anyone help me out, please?
> > Better search terms would be great, a tested-and-true recipe would be
> > ideal.

> > Thanks in advance,
> > June

> Here you go; *Looks like you can scale this; *Caution don't use Marj with
> water.
>
> 1 lb. margarine
> 3 3/4 c. sugar
> 10 tbsp. milk
> 5 eggs
> 2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
> 2 tbsp. vanilla
> 8 or 9 c. flour (enough to make dough
> * *stiff)
>
> *Cream margarine and sugar.

Great. Margarine. Anyone with any sense ought to know better.

> --
> Old Scoundrel

I agree. Ony a malicious or ignorant person would suggest using
margarine.

> (AKA Dimitri

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 10:14*pm, " > wrote:
> On May 29, 5:30 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
> > Here you go; *Looks like you can scale this; *Caution don't use Marj with
> > water.

> Oooh... This sounds promising. Thanks!

A pound of crappiness. How about not using crappy ingredients at all?

> -j.
>

> > 1 lb. margarine
> > 3 3/4 c. sugar
> > 10 tbsp. milk
> > 5 eggs
> > 2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
> > 2 tbsp. vanilla
> > 8 or 9 c. flour (enough to make dough
> > * *stiff)

> > *Cream margarine and sugar. *Add eggs, vanilla and milk. *Blend thoroughly.
> > Add sodas to flour. *Add flour to first mixture, a little at a time.
> > Blending well after each addition. *Roll on floured board and cut into
> > desired animal shapes with cutters. *Bake at 350 degrees 7 to 10 minutes.
> > Makes 20 dozen cookies.

> > --
> > Old Scoundrel

Is the "Scoundrel" old enough to remember the yellow food coloring
that got mixed into the flavored "Crisco"???

> > (AKA Dimitri

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 30, 5:24*pm, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> *Janet *wrote *on Fri, 30 May 2008 22:54:36 +0100:

> > * * We'd call those biscuits.
> > * * Crisps are fine wafers of potato, deepfried.

> Here's a recipe for animal crackers but if, like me, you have
> little artistic ability they will look like amoebae :-)http://tinyurl.com/5jvfyt*Mostly, people buy them in a
> supermarket. There used to be an excruciating children's song
> called "Animal Crackers in my Soup" !

Shirley Temple. That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw
the subject heading. It's so bad that it's almost good, but not
quite. "Excruciating" is a good choice of words.

> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> June, I keep forgetting to get that recipe out of the cast iron circus
> mold! I will do it this weekend, I promise.

Take your time. I might be busy this weekend... um, having a baby.

(It's almost a week overdue already!)

-j.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:41:26 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> wrote:

>On May 27, 9:14*am, Tracy > wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > I am looking for a recipe for what Americans term "animal crackers" -
>> > like the ones shown herehttp://tinyurl.com/4vp42m.

>> > Thanks in advance,
>> > June

>> Wiki says the Nabisco version is made with
>> "Flour, sugar, shortening, corn flour, whey solids, salt, leaving and
>> oil-of-lemon"

>Why would anyone want to make a cookie with "shortening"???

why would anyone give a shit what you think about it?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
On May 29, 10:14 pm, " > wrote:
> On May 29, 5:30 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
>
> > Here you go; Looks like you can scale this; Caution don't use Marj with
> > water.

> Oooh... This sounds promising. Thanks!

A pound of crappiness. How about not using crappy ingredients at all?

> -j.
>

> > 1 lb. margarine
> > 3 3/4 c. sugar
> > 10 tbsp. milk
> > 5 eggs
> > 2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
> > 2 tbsp. vanilla
> > 8 or 9 c. flour (enough to make dough
> > stiff)

> > Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla and milk. Blend thoroughly.
> > Add sodas to flour. Add flour to first mixture, a little at a time.
> > Blending well after each addition. Roll on floured board and cut into
> > desired animal shapes with cutters. Bake at 350 degrees 7 to 10 minutes.
> > Makes 20 dozen cookies.

> > --
> > Old Scoundrel

Is the "Scoundrel" old enough to remember the yellow food coloring
that got mixed into the flavored "Crisco"???

> > (AKA Dimitri

--Bryan

The Old Scoundrel remembers the yellow coloring packet in early WW II that
was used to color the oleo to make it look like butter. Butter was rationed.
In addition it was at one time unlawful to sell per-colored oleo. We even
had a special 1 beater mixer and bowl. I don't think it was Crisco however.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bobo Bonobo®" > wrote in message
On May 29, 5:30 pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

<recipe snipped>

> Cream margarine and sugar.

Great. Margarine. Anyone with any sense ought to know better.

> --
> Old Scoundrel

I agree. Ony a malicious or ignorant person would suggest using
margarine.

> (AKA Dimitri

--Bryan

Except the recipe called specifically for margarine I will not change it
until I have made it. BTW butter which I prefer to use for baking does have
a small amount of water and there man be a specific reason for the marj.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 2008 06:55:47 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>>Better search terms would be great, a tested-and-true recipe would be
>>ideal.

> Animal crackers remind me of arrowroot cookies -- sometimes called
> arrowroot crackers. You might have luck searching for and trying an
> arrowroot cookie recipe. I'm sorry that I don't have a recipe to
> share.

So they're really *not* ground-up animals, then. Who knew?!

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Tara wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 May 2008 06:55:47 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Better search terms would be great, a tested-and-true recipe would be
>>> ideal.

>> Animal crackers remind me of arrowroot cookies -- sometimes called
>> arrowroot crackers. You might have luck searching for and trying an
>> arrowroot cookie recipe. I'm sorry that I don't have a recipe to
>> share.

> So they're really *not* ground-up animals, then. Who knew?!

Yeah, you're safe. Actually I don't recall them having a shark in the
box.....?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Tara wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 27 May 2008 06:55:47 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> Animal crackers remind me of arrowroot cookies -- sometimes called
>>> arrowroot crackers. You might have luck searching for and trying an
>>> arrowroot cookie recipe. I'm sorry that I don't have a recipe to
>>> share.

>> So they're really *not* ground-up animals, then. Who knew?!
>>

> Yeah, you're safe. Actually I don't recall them having a shark in the
> box.....?

I think they'e all mammals, no?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 31, 10:04*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:41:26 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
>

> > wrote:

> >> Wiki says the Nabisco version is made with
> >> "Flour, sugar, shortening, corn flour, whey solids, salt, leaving and
> >> oil-of-lemon"

> >Why would anyone want to make a cookie with "shortening"???

> why would anyone give a shit what you think about it?

Some might. Why would anyone "give a shit" about any of your
opinions?

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 31 May 2008 17:24:06 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> wrote:

>On May 31, 10:04*am, blake murphy > wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:41:26 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >Why would anyone want to make a cookie with "shortening"???

>> why would anyone give a shit what you think about it?

>Some might. Why would anyone "give a shit" about any of your
>opinions?

because my posts are not all about calling people trailer trash if
their recipes contain trans-fats? or how groovy 'the beverly
hillbillies' are?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 10:03*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Sat, 31 May 2008 17:24:06 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
>

> > wrote:
> >On May 31, 10:04*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> >> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:41:26 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®

> >> why would anyone give a shit what you think about it?

> >Some might. *Why would anyone "give a shit" about any of your
> >opinions?

> because my posts are not all about calling people trailer trash if
> their recipes contain trans-fats? *

Neither are mine, and far less of them would be if there were less
"trailer trash" posting to this NG.

> or how groovy 'the beverly hillbillies' are?

"Groovy"???

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 14:38:43 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
> wrote:

>On Jun 1, 10:03*am, blake murphy > wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 May 2008 17:24:06 -0700 (PDT), Bobo Bonobo®
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >Some might. *Why would anyone "give a shit" about any of your
>> >opinions?

>> because my posts are not all about calling people trailer trash if
>> their recipes contain trans-fats? *

>Neither are mine, and far less of them would be if there were less
>"trailer trash" posting to this NG.

yeah we force you into it. why don't you pass the time by playing a
little solitaire?

>> or how groovy 'the beverly hillbillies' are?

>"Groovy"???

that's not the word aging hipsters use anymore?

blake