Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Anybody got a good recipe for flax meal crackers?

I've googled around but nothing sounds good.

Anyone have a recipe they use and like??

thanks !
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2011 7:17 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

> I've googled around but nothing sounds good.
>
> Anyone have a recipe they use and like??
>
> thanks !

Becca posted this last year. I saved it but haven't had a chance to make
them yet.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...n&dmode=source
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:17:56 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> I've googled around but nothing sounds good.
>
> Anyone have a recipe they use and like??

My google research skills suck, so I can't give you the link but
here's a recipe Becca posted a couple of years ago.

Sesame Flax Crackers

1/2 cup all purpose flour (I used gluten-free)
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caraway seeds
3 tsp olive oil
3 tsp apple cider vinegar
flake salt, optional

Preheat the oven to 400° (F).

Soak the flax seeds in 1/2 cup hot water for 15 minutes. Toast your
sesame seeds in a skillet or a hot oven until golden brown (I used
sesame seeds that were already toasted).

In a bowl, mix the flour, almond flour, ground flax seed, toasted
sesame seeds, salt and caraway seeds. Mix the dry ingredients. Add
the flax seed that you soaked in water, the oil and the vinegar. Mix
well.

Place a sheet of parchment paper on your counter; the parchment paper
should fit your sheet pan. Dump half the ingredients on the parchment
paper. Using a second sheet of parchment paper over the dough, roll
the dough until it almost covers the lower sheet of parchment paper.
It should be less than 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle flake salt or salt on
top
of the dough and press with your hand or use a rolling pin to anchor
the salt into the dough.

Cut the dough into squares.

Bake for 11-13 minutes, until the crackers on the outside are turning
brown. Cool before you put them in a container.

Note: Instead of using caraway seeds next time, I might add poppy
seeds, rosemary, chia seeds, sunflower seeds. I was also thinking
about adding onion powder and grated Parmesan.

Becca

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> I've googled around but nothing sounds good.
>
> Anyone have a recipe they use and like??
>
> thanks !

I've made them but I didn't like them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:17:56 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> I've googled around but nothing sounds good.

> Hmmm. I wonder why?
>
> She may seek wool and flax, but it sure ain't for making crackers!

Agreed. Could work as an ingredient in something but in and of itself in
crackers they are tasteless.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> I've googled around but nothing sounds good.
>
> Anyone have a recipe they use and like??
>
> thanks !

Not an answer to your question, but I'll mention that my wife like
Mary's Gone Crackers - they come in a few flavors, all are healthy -
lots of fiber, completely gluten-free, and the like. For healthy,
gluten-free food, they don't taste half bad. I find the plain flavor
pretty bland, but the onion flavor is kind of tasty.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:17:56 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>I've googled around but nothing sounds good.
>
>Anyone have a recipe they use and like??

Flax meal can be added to many baked goods. I often add it to raisin
bran muffins. You obviously want it for its health benefit, on its
own flax meal doesn't taste very good, it really needs to be an
additive; oatmeal porridge, pancakes, peanutbutter cookies. Flax meal
is good in yogurt, I sometimes add flax meal and wheat germ both....
mix with yogurt and spoon over diced/sliced fresh fruit; strawberries
and bananas, oranges and kiwifruit, whatever is available. Flax meal
can be used in conjunction with bread crumbs and anything, from
breaded pork chops to meat loaf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> ImStillMags wrote:
>> I've googled around but nothing sounds good.
>>
>> Anyone have a recipe they use and like??
>>
>> thanks !

> Not an answer to your question, but I'll mention that my wife like Mary's
> Gone Crackers - they come in a few flavors, all are healthy - lots of
> fiber, completely gluten-free, and the like. For healthy, gluten-free
> food, they don't taste half bad. I find the plain flavor pretty bland,
> but the onion flavor is kind of tasty.

I bought some of those for my daughter. Must get her to try them before
they go bad. I do think I bought some before and she didn't like them but
she found them and wanted to try them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> I've googled around but nothing sounds good.
>>
>> Anyone have a recipe they use and like??
>>
>> thanks !

> I've made them but I didn't like them.

That's because they taste nothing like Doughnuts and Cheesecake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike" > wrote in message
.com...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>>> I've googled around but nothing sounds good.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a recipe they use and like??
>>>
>>> thanks !

>> I've made them but I didn't like them.
>>

> That's because they taste nothing like Doughnuts and Cheesecake

I don't like those either. Actually now that I think of it, I don't really
like crackers.

The crackers I made were raw. Made in a dehydrator kept under a certain
degree. I found that the flax in and of itself had no flavor. You would
get a sense of texture in your mouth when eating them, but no flavor. Yes,
you can add things like tomato, onion, peppers, etc. But to put enough of
that in to get the flavor the end result to me is overwhelming.

I do like the raw onion bread and that has flax in it. But... When I make
it I leave it soft so it is like bread. Some people dry it fully so it is
like a cracker.

I use this recipe but instead of soy sauce I just add a good sprinkle of sea
salt.

http://therawtarian.com/raw-onion-bread-recipe/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2011 6:46 PM, sf wrote:
> My google research skills suck, so I can't give you the link but
> here's a recipe Becca posted a couple of years ago.
>

> Sesame Flax Crackers
>
> 1/2 cup all purpose flour (I used gluten-free)
> 1/2 cup flax seeds
> 1/2 cup hot water
> 1/2 cup almond flour
> 1/2 cup ground flax seed
> 1/2 cup sesame seeds
> 1 tsp salt
> 1 tsp caraway seeds
> 3 tsp olive oil
> 3 tsp apple cider vinegar
> flake salt, optional
>
> Preheat the oven to 400° (F).
>
> Soak the flax seeds in 1/2 cup hot water for 15 minutes. Toast your
> sesame seeds in a skillet or a hot oven until golden brown (I used
> sesame seeds that were already toasted).
>
> In a bowl, mix the flour, almond flour, ground flax seed, toasted
> sesame seeds, salt and caraway seeds. Mix the dry ingredients. Add
> the flax seed that you soaked in water, the oil and the vinegar. Mix
> well.
>
> Place a sheet of parchment paper on your counter; the parchment paper
> should fit your sheet pan. Dump half the ingredients on the parchment
> paper. Using a second sheet of parchment paper over the dough, roll
> the dough until it almost covers the lower sheet of parchment paper.
> It should be less than 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle flake salt or salt on
> top
> of the dough and press with your hand or use a rolling pin to anchor
> the salt into the dough.
>
> Cut the dough into squares.
>
> Bake for 11-13 minutes, until the crackers on the outside are turning
> brown. Cool before you put them in a container.
>
> Note: Instead of using caraway seeds next time, I might add poppy
> seeds, rosemary, chia seeds, sunflower seeds. I was also thinking
> about adding onion powder and grated Parmesan.
>
> Becca

Thanks for posting the recipe, I need to read the newsgroup more often.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/15/2011 6:17 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> I've googled around but nothing sounds good.
>
> Anyone have a recipe they use and like??
>
> thanks !

sf posted the recipe I use, but here is a quick recipe if you are in a
hurry.

Better Than Crisp Bread Flax Cracker

2 Tbsp flax seed meal
2 Tbsp water
spices to taste (optional)

In a bowl, mix flax seed meal with water and spices (I use a fork). Let
rest 2-3 minutes.

On a piece of parchment, press and gently spread the mixture with a
fork, until the shape desired (usually a 4" X 8" cracker, but can be
round or other shapes as well). Microwave for 2.5 minutes or until
cracker is solid. Let cool.

Makes one cracker.

Top with cheese, cream cheese, salsa or anything you might be hankering
for.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 15, 5:44*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
> > I've googled around but nothing sounds good.

> > Anyone have a recipe they use and like??

> > thanks !

> Not an answer to your question, but I'll mention that my wife like
> Mary's Gone Crackers - they come in a few flavors, all are healthy -
> lots of fiber, completely gluten-free, and the like. *For healthy,
> gluten-free food, they don't taste half bad. *I find the plain flavor
> pretty bland, but the onion flavor is kind of tasty.
>
> -S-

I've tried the Mary's Gone Crackers. .....I'll pass. Thanks though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Aug 15, 5:44 pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>> ImStillMags wrote:
>>> I've googled around but nothing sounds good.

>>> Anyone have a recipe they use and like??

>>> thanks !

>> Not an answer to your question, but I'll mention that my wife like
>> Mary's Gone Crackers - they come in a few flavors, all are healthy -
>> lots of fiber, completely gluten-free, and the like. For healthy,
>> gluten-free food, they don't taste half bad. I find the plain flavor
>> pretty bland, but the onion flavor is kind of tasty.
>>
>> -S-

> I've tried the Mary's Gone Crackers. .....I'll pass. Thanks though.

The onion flavor is really OK - the plain ones are pretty drywall-like.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 17, 11:36*am, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:

> >> Not an answer to your question, but I'll mention that my wife like
> >> Mary's Gone Crackers - they come in a few flavors, all are healthy -
> >> lots of fiber, completely gluten-free, and the like. For healthy,
> >> gluten-free food, they don't taste half bad. I find the plain flavor
> >> pretty bland, but the onion flavor is kind of tasty.

> >> -S-

> > I've tried the Mary's Gone Crackers. .....I'll pass. * Thanks though.

> The onion flavor is really OK - the plain ones are pretty drywall-like.
>
> -S-- Hide quoted text -

All the gluten free crackers like Mary's are also 'free' of anything
that makes them taste good, nuts, dairy, fat, etc.
I'm not looking for 'free' everything, except gluten and grain flour
in general. I'm looking for flavor and crisp.

I'll probably take Becca's recipe and combine it with a sesame cracker
recipe I saw and mess around till I find something
that bakes up nice and crisp and still has great flavors. When I
come up with one that's a winner for me I'll share here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:39:54 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> Thanks for posting the recipe,

You're welcome

> I need to read the newsgroup more often.

That you do, dearie! Come back, we miss you.

;0

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:21:04 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Aug 15, 5:44*pm, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
> > ImStillMags wrote:
> > > I've googled around but nothing sounds good.

> > > Anyone have a recipe they use and like??

> > > thanks !

> > Not an answer to your question, but I'll mention that my wife like
> > Mary's Gone Crackers - they come in a few flavors, all are healthy -
> > lots of fiber, completely gluten-free, and the like. *For healthy,
> > gluten-free food, they don't taste half bad. *I find the plain flavor
> > pretty bland, but the onion flavor is kind of tasty.
> >
> > -S-

> I've tried the Mary's Gone Crackers. .....I'll pass. Thanks though.

When I get back to Andronico's, I'll buy another box of their "seed"
crackers and let you know what they're called... They're delicious and
come in various flavors to boot. In the mean time, because I'm
looking for gluten free, not flax... Trader Joe's has a delicious
edamame cracker in the snack aisle that I'll recommend.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 17, 1:08*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:21:04 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>

> > wrote:

> > > Not an answer to your question, but I'll mention that my wife like
> > > Mary's Gone Crackers - they come in a few flavors, all are healthy -
> > > lots of fiber, completely gluten-free, and the like. For healthy,
> > > gluten-free food, they don't taste half bad. I find the plain flavor
> > > pretty bland, but the onion flavor is kind of tasty.

> > > -S-

> > I've tried the Mary's Gone Crackers. .....I'll pass. * Thanks though.

> When I get back to Andronico's, I'll buy another box of their "seed"
> crackers and let you know what they're called... They're delicious and
> come in various flavors to boot. *In the mean time, because I'm
> looking for gluten free, not flax... Trader Joe's has a delicious
> edamame cracker in the snack aisle that I'll recommend.
>
> --
> I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila- Hide quoted text -

Thanks....I'll pass on the soy products.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 13:09:39 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Aug 17, 1:08*pm, sf > wrote:
> >
> > When I get back to Andronico's, I'll buy another box of their "seed"
> > crackers and let you know what they're called... They're delicious and
> > come in various flavors to boot. *In the mean time, because I'm
> > looking for gluten free, not flax... Trader Joe's has a delicious
> > edamame cracker in the snack aisle that I'll recommend.
> >
> > --
> > I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks....I'll pass on the soy products.

I've been eating them with the TJ chicken liver and truffle mousse.
Have a party and put them out. I like to try new things that way.
Then you can taste, but you aren't stuck eating the entire thing if
you decide you really don't like it after all (you will like it so
much that you'll curse me for turning you on to something so tasty and
gluten free).

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 17, 1:38*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 13:09:39 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>
> > wrote:
> > On Aug 17, 1:08 pm, sf > wrote:

> > > When I get back to Andronico's, I'll buy another box of their "seed"
> > > crackers and let you know what they're called... They're delicious and
> > > come in various flavors to boot. In the mean time, because I'm
> > > looking for gluten free, not flax... Trader Joe's has a delicious
> > > edamame cracker in the snack aisle that I'll recommend.

> > > --
> > > I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila- Hide quoted text -

> > Thanks....I'll pass on the soy products.

> I've been eating them with the TJ chicken liver and truffle mousse.
> Have a party and put them out. *I like to try new things that way.
> Then you can taste, but you aren't stuck eating the entire thing if
> you decide you really don't like it after all (you will like it so
> much that you'll curse me for turning you on to something so tasty and
> gluten free).
>
> --
> I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

The only soy I would eat....and that's rarely....is soy that has been
fermented like tofu and tempeh. Other regular processed soy
products are really not very good for you and I've never been a big
soy fan to start with. But thanks for the suggestion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote:

>The only soy I would eat....and that's rarely....is soy that has been
>fermented like tofu and tempeh. Other regular processed soy
>products are really not very good for you and I've never been a big
>soy fan to start with. But thanks for the suggestion.

Actually tofu is not fermented. It is only curdled. That may
slightly change how it is digested, but the fact is soy is not bad for
you to begin with.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Aug 17, 2:19*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> ImStillMags > wrote:
> >The only soy I would eat....and that's rarely....is soy that has been
> >fermented like tofu and tempeh. * *Other regular processed soy
> >products are really not very good for you and I've never been a big
> >soy fan to start with. * But thanks for the suggestion.

> Actually tofu is not fermented. *It is only curdled. *That may
> slightly change how it is digested, but the fact is soy is not bad for
> you to begin with.
>
> Steve

It has been altered from it's original form into a form that is more
eaasily digested. I should have said soy is not good for ME, as it
is not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote:

>On Aug 17, 2:19*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

>> Actually tofu is not fermented. *It is only curdled. *That may
>> slightly change how it is digested, but the fact is soy is not bad for
>> you to begin with.

>It has been altered from it's original form into a form that is more
>easily digested.

I'm not certain tofu is more easily digested than plain soybeans.
It might be, but the main reason for making soybeans into tofu
is to obtain a higher-protein, lower-fat product. Soybeans are very
high-fat.

Steve