Jeneen Sommers

Default first pressure canning attempt

I posted a message a while ago about buying a new pressure canner, and
received some good advice (thanks!). I finally got the pressure canner
and tried it out this weekend for the first time. I made stewed
vegetables from the Ball Blue Book. The instructions say to cook them
at 10 lbs. pressure for 40 minutes. The weight on the canner jiggled
when the gauge was at about 11.5 pounds. For about 10 minutes during
the cooking time, the weight didn't jiggle but the gauge was still at
about 11.5 pounds. I have no experience with pressure canning, so I
don't know what to think about that. Are my vegetables potentially
bad?

I have to say, the veggies don't look terribly appetizing after all
that cooking...especially the peas. But I was planning to try them
tonight and see.

Thanks for your help -

Jeneen
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 26 Sep 2005 09:54:43a, Jeneen Sommers wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> I posted a message a while ago about buying a new pressure canner, and
> received some good advice (thanks!). I finally got the pressure canner
> and tried it out this weekend for the first time. I made stewed
> vegetables from the Ball Blue Book. The instructions say to cook them
> at 10 lbs. pressure for 40 minutes. The weight on the canner jiggled
> when the gauge was at about 11.5 pounds. For about 10 minutes during
> the cooking time, the weight didn't jiggle but the gauge was still at
> about 11.5 pounds. I have no experience with pressure canning, so I
> don't know what to think about that. Are my vegetables potentially
> bad?

Highly doubtful if they're bad. Sounds like your cooker was maintaining
proper pressure, acording to the guage.

> I have to say, the veggies don't look terribly appetizing after all
> that cooking...especially the peas. But I was planning to try them
> tonight and see.

IMHO, most canned vegetables except posibly tomatoes, corn, and carrots do
not look especially appetizing. That's why I freeze most of them.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl
Jeneen Sommers

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 26 Sep 2005 12:41:08p, Jeneen Sommers wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Highly doubtful if they're bad. Sounds like your cooker was maintaining
>> proper pressure, acording to the guage.
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿* _____________________________
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg
>>
>> Popie-In-The-Bowl
>>

> Thanks, Wayne! Love the picture of your kitty. I have a
> black and white Poppy (http://tinypic.com/e00hzt.jpg).

Thanks, Jeneen. Your Poppy looks a lot like my Peanut (no pic to post).
We have three tuxedos.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/dzijap.jpg

Popie-In-The-Bowl
Dwayne

I agree, as long as the pressure was maintained, you should be OK.

Dwayne

"Jeneen Sommers" > wrote in message
ord.EDU...

> I posted a message a while ago about buying a new pressure canner, and
> received some good advice (thanks!). I finally got the pressure canner
> and tried it out this weekend for the first time. I made stewed
> vegetables from the Ball Blue Book. The instructions say to cook them
> at 10 lbs. pressure for 40 minutes. The weight on the canner jiggled
> when the gauge was at about 11.5 pounds. For about 10 minutes during
> the cooking time, the weight didn't jiggle but the gauge was still at
> about 11.5 pounds. I have no experience with pressure canning, so I
> don't know what to think about that. Are my vegetables potentially
> bad?
>
> I have to say, the veggies don't look terribly appetizing after all
> that cooking...especially the peas. But I was planning to try them
> tonight and see.
>
> Thanks for your help -
>
> Jeneen

~patches~

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 26 Sep 2005 09:54:43a, Jeneen Sommers wrote in rec.food.preserving:
>

>>I posted a message a while ago about buying a new pressure canner, and
>>received some good advice (thanks!). I finally got the pressure canner
>>and tried it out this weekend for the first time. I made stewed
>>vegetables from the Ball Blue Book. The instructions say to cook them
>>at 10 lbs. pressure for 40 minutes. The weight on the canner jiggled
>>when the gauge was at about 11.5 pounds. For about 10 minutes during
>>the cooking time, the weight didn't jiggle but the gauge was still at
>>about 11.5 pounds. I have no experience with pressure canning, so I
>>don't know what to think about that. Are my vegetables potentially
>>bad?

> Highly doubtful if they're bad. Sounds like your cooker was maintaining
> proper pressure, acording to the guage.
>

>>I have to say, the veggies don't look terribly appetizing after all
>>that cooking...especially the peas. But I was planning to try them
>>tonight and see.

> IMHO, most canned vegetables except posibly tomatoes, corn, and carrots do
> not look especially appetizing. That's why I freeze most of them.

I prefer beans canned but don't like broccoli, cauliflower other than
pickled, corn, or carrots canned. I haven't done potatoes yet but
intend to do potato soup. Some veggies are better frozen than canned
but if you are running out of freezer space you do what you have to to
put them up. I'm not fond at all of dehydrating veggies. My dehydrater
has been quite inactive this year. Time to make beef jerky, dry a few
herbs, then store it for another year. Frozen herbs are so much nicer!

pressure canning dave Preserving 7 22-08-2014 01:43 AM
Pressure Canning BBQ jginsberg General Cooking 6 13-03-2014 08:42 PM
pressure canning dave Preserving 4 06-08-2008 08:43 PM
My first attempt at canning strawberry jam didn't seal Adam Preble Preserving 7 08-06-2005 12:42 PM
First attempt at pressure cooking [email protected] General Cooking 3 20-04-2005 06:19 AM