2fatbbq

Default changing recipe???

Been usung the same recipe for years making Habenero Jelly/jam---buddy wants
me to add rhubarb(pieplant) to one batch--Do we need more pectin(or less)??
Here is the recipe--this recipe always sets nice and is a big hit!! What
will ruhbarb do to the product??
Thanks
Buzz

3 large red or orange bell peppers (dependi; ng on what color you want
finished product to be)
12 fresh habanero peppers
1-1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
7 c sugar
2 pkg/ liquid pectin (certo)

1.) Remove seed and stems (why does that sound so familiar?) and membranes
from bell peppers. Chop in to food processor-sized chunks.
2.) Put bell peppers, habaneros, vinegar through a food processor and puree
until smooth.
3.) Combine this mixture with all the sugar in a non-corrosive pan.
4.) Bring to a boil, stiring frequently. You can add a tsp. or so of
margarine to helpkeep the foaming down. Reduce heat and simmer for 5
minutes.
5.) Add pectin and bring back to a FULL ROLLING BOIL (must keep boiling in
spite of stirring). Once this point is reached, continue to boil for exactly
1 minute.
6.) Ladle in to clean 1/2 pt. jars (leave the pulp in...it's prettier and
much more intereating. I guess this makes it jam instead of jelly). Cap with
clean disks and rings. Turn upside down for 5 minutes then turn back over.
Should seal within a few hours. Should gel within
24 hours.

William R. Watt

rhubarb is high in acid and low in pectin.
I don't know the acid and pectin content of peppers so can't say what
change would be best if some rhubarb were substituted for peppers.
If you just add some rhubarb to the peppers maybe a bit more pectin and a
bit less vinegar would be good. I'd make any adjustments proportional to the
amount of rhubarb added.

"2fatbbq" ) writes:
> Been usung the same recipe for years making Habenero Jelly/jam---buddy wants
> me to add rhubarb(pieplant) to one batch--Do we need more pectin(or less)??
> Here is the recipe--this recipe always sets nice and is a big hit!! What
> will ruhbarb do to the product??
> Thanks
> Buzz
>
> 3 large red or orange bell peppers (dependi; ng on what color you want
> finished product to be)
> 12 fresh habanero peppers
> 1-1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
> 7 c sugar
> 2 pkg/ liquid pectin (certo)
>

> 1.) Remove seed and stems (why does that sound so familiar?) and membranes
> from bell peppers. Chop in to food processor-sized chunks.
> 2.) Put bell peppers, habaneros, vinegar through a food processor and puree
> until smooth.
> 3.) Combine this mixture with all the sugar in a non-corrosive pan.
> 4.) Bring to a boil, stiring frequently. You can add a tsp. or so of
> margarine to helpkeep the foaming down. Reduce heat and simmer for 5
> minutes.
> 5.) Add pectin and bring back to a FULL ROLLING BOIL (must keep boiling in
> spite of stirring). Once this point is reached, continue to boil for exactly
> 1 minute.
> 6.) Ladle in to clean 1/2 pt. jars (leave the pulp in...it's prettier and
> much more intereating. I guess this makes it jam instead of jelly). Cap with
> clean disks and rings. Turn upside down for 5 minutes then turn back over.
> Should seal within a few hours. Should gel within
> 24 hours.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
2fatbbq

will give that a try thanks much!!