Melba's Jammin'

Default Fair Fare

Picked up ribbons and displayed jars from the fairgrounds today and
these were the scores of my blue ribboned canned goods: Bread & Butter
Pickles - 95 points; Cherry Amaretto Jam - 97 points; Blackberry Jelly
-98 points. Nectarine Jam was second place with 97 points. One hundred
points is the maximum number of points awarded. (The brownies got 98
points.)
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe. Sam I Am! 9/6/05.
Bob (this one)

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Picked up ribbons and displayed jars from the fairgrounds today and
> these were the scores of my blue ribboned canned goods: Bread & Butter
> Pickles - 95 points; Cherry Amaretto Jam - 97 points; Blackberry Jelly
> -98 points. Nectarine Jam was second place with 97 points. One hundred
> points is the maximum number of points awarded. (The brownies got 98
> points.)

Pretty good for a rookie...

Pastorio
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Picked up ribbons and displayed jars from the fairgrounds today and
> > these were the scores of my blue ribboned canned goods: Bread &
> > Butter Pickles - 95 points; Cherry Amaretto Jam - 97 points;
> > Blackberry Jelly -98 points. Nectarine Jam was second place with
> > 97 points. One hundred points is the maximum number of points
> > awarded. (The brownies got 98 points.)

> Pretty good for a rookie...
>
> Pastorio

My thoughts, ezzackly!! Wiseass. "=) If the Cherry Amaretto hadn't
won *something*, I'd have stalked the judge! <grin>
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe and a sad note added
Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Picked up ribbons and displayed jars from the fairgrounds today and
> these were the scores of my blue ribboned canned goods: Bread & Butter
> Pickles - 95 points; Cherry Amaretto Jam - 97 points; Blackberry Jelly
> -98 points. Nectarine Jam was second place with 97 points. One hundred
> points is the maximum number of points awarded. (The brownies got 98
> points.)

So the average is like...an A+, right?

Congrats, you deserve every point.

(Not to sound like my dear departed parents but, out
of curiosity, has anyone ever scored 100% for anything?)

gloria p
William R. Watt

As a former statistcal systems manager I'd be interested to know what the
lowest scores were.
That would tell us what kind of bell shaped grading curve the judges use,
conscioulsy or subconsciously.
I'd guess that to prevent entrants from feeling bad there would be no score
less than, say, 75? Everbody gets at least a B and everyone is a winner.
I'll bet the people who run the concessions do the same. Evryone gets a
prize, no matter how small, so nobody goes away a loser.
After all, people come to the fall fair to have a good time. You don't
want people going away feeling bad.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
clc

Much deserved congrats, Barb!

Cheryl
"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Picked up ribbons and displayed jars from the fairgrounds today and
> these were the scores of my blue ribboned canned goods: Bread & Butter
> Pickles - 95 points; Cherry Amaretto Jam - 97 points; Blackberry Jelly
> -98 points. Nectarine Jam was second place with 97 points. One hundred
> points is the maximum number of points awarded. (The brownies got 98
> points.)
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
> including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe. Sam I Am! 9/6/05.

George Shirley

William R. Watt wrote:
> As a former statistcal systems manager I'd be interested to know what the
> lowest scores were.
> That would tell us what kind of bell shaped grading curve the judges use,
> conscioulsy or subconsciously.
> I'd guess that to prevent entrants from feeling bad there would be no score
> less than, say, 75? Everbody gets at least a B and everyone is a winner.
> I'll bet the people who run the concessions do the same. Evryone gets a
> prize, no matter how small, so nobody goes away a loser.
> After all, people come to the fall fair to have a good time. You don't
> want people going away feeling bad.

Boy, you sure sound like you've never been to the carnival at a fair.
Most carnies are trying to stick it to you before you get wise to their
tricks. Our local fair gives everyone who enters a ribbon and a couple
of dollars. Ribbons run from white to blue to red to purple for the
Grand Prize. That may be why most of the entries are kids and little old
ladies. They went to that method of awards about 25 years ago and now
everyone is happy except those of that are cutthroats that crave that
big win. <VBG>

George

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "clc"
> wrote:

> Much deserved congrats, Barb!
>
> Cheryl
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Picked up ribbons and displayed jars from the fairgrounds today and
> > these were the scores of my blue ribboned canned goods: Bread & Butter
> > Pickles - 95 points; Cherry Amaretto Jam - 97 points; Blackberry Jelly
> > -98 points. Nectarine Jam was second place with 97 points. One hundred
> > points is the maximum number of points awarded. (The brownies got 98
> > points.)

Thanks. It's a fun time, for sure!
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe and a sad note added
this evening, 8/27/05.

In Honor of HRH Barbara of Schaller, Queen of the Fair Fair Fare . .. . a Poem by John Tobias Lynn from Fargo General Cooking 1 28-08-2009 05:22 AM
New Year's fare Arri London General Cooking 20 01-01-2009 04:44 PM
Fair Fare maxine in ri General Cooking 4 18-08-2008 01:00 AM
PING: Barb, Fair Queen of the Fair... Nexis General Cooking 11 24-07-2006 08:52 PM
Fair Fare Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 10 09-09-2005 02:05 AM