Guy Kroger

Default Beets

Does anyone have a recipe for pickled beets?

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 05 Sep 2005 09:21:17a, Guy Kroger wrote in rec.food.preserving:

> Does anyone have a recipe for pickled beets?

Edrena Jones has posted a really delicious recipe here. You might do a
Google Groups search for it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
pheasant

"Guy Kroger" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a recipe for pickled beets?

Cook about an hour until soft. Slip off skins cut off top and bottoms.

Cut up into chunks.

Prepare a syrup of equal parts sugar and vinegar. Put beets into hot jars
cover wth syrup to proper headspace place lids and rings on process in a bwb
for about 20 minutes.

pheasant

"pheasant" > wrote in message
news
> Cook about an hour until soft. Slip off skins cut off top and bottoms.
>
> Cut up into chunks.
>
> Prepare a syrup of equal parts sugar and vinegar. Put beets into hot jars
> cover wth syrup to proper headspace place lids and rings on process in a
> bwb
> for about 20 minutes.

30 minutes, I checked. Also we add a couple cloves to each jar, and if you
like a less "sharp" pickle you can increase the sugar by 25%.

--
Four boxes protect our freedom: the soap box, the
ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Carolinorygun

If you want to try something a bit more out of the ordinary, here's an
incredible recipe.

Once it ages a bit this produces the smoothest pickled beets you've
ever tried. I have made the traditional pickled beets many a year, but
this beats them by a mile. (No pun intended.)

Pickled Beets with Red Wine

6 pounds beets, with rootlets and 2 inches of tops
1 teaspoon whole cloves
Two 4-inch cinnamon sticks, broken
One 1-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced thin
3 cups sugar
2 cups red wine
3 cups red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon pickling salt

Scrub beets. Put into a large pot, cover with boiling water. Return
water to a boil and cook 15 to 35 minutes, depending on size, just
until tender.

Drain beets and cover with cold water. When cool, trim and slip off
skins. If large, halve or quarter or, if preferred, slice.

Tie cloves, cinnamon and ginger in a spice bag or scrap of cheesecloth.
Put the spice bag, sugar, wine, vinegar and salt into a nonreactive
pot. Bring contents to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt.
Simmer syrup, uncovered, 10 minutes.

While syrup simmers, pack beets into pint mason jars. If sliced, pack
slices loosely. (Density affects safety.) Pour hot syrup over the
beets. Leave 1/2-inch headspace. Close jars with hot two-piece caps.

Process 30 minutes BWB.

Store cooled jars in a cool, dry, dark place at least 3 weeks before
eating.

>From Linda Ziedrich's "Joy of Pickling"

Approximately how many ounces of canned beets equals threemedium-sized beets? Chris Tsao General Cooking 26 03-09-2008 05:14 AM
Beets? G&G Diabetic 12 02-07-2006 10:11 AM
Beets? G&G Recipes 9 22-06-2006 05:52 AM
Beets Sheldon General Cooking 0 05-11-2005 09:33 PM
Beets C. James Strutz Vegan 8 02-11-2005 04:42 PM