Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Approximately how many ounces of canned beets equals threemedium-sized beets?

Since they don't sell beets in my neighborhood, I got the idea to buy
canned beets for my borscht tomorrow. So I am hoping someone in here
can tell me how many ounces of beets from a can should I use for a
borscht recipe which calls for three medium beets.

Thanks again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Tsao wrote:
> Since they don't sell beets in my neighborhood, I got the idea to buy
> canned beets for my borscht tomorrow. So I am hoping someone in here
> can tell me how many ounces of beets from a can should I use for a
> borscht recipe which calls for three medium beets.
>
> Thanks again.

I'd use one 15-ounce can for three medium beets. Usually, you get 5-6
small beets in a can of whole beets.

Serene

--
"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 7:40*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> Chris Tsao wrote:
> > Since they don't sell beets in my neighborhood, I got the idea to buy
> > canned beets for my borscht tomorrow. *So I am hoping someone in here
> > can tell me how many ounces of beets from a can should I use for a
> > borscht recipe which calls for three medium beets.

> > Thanks again.

> I'd use one 15-ounce can for three medium beets. Usually, you get 5-6
> small beets in a can of whole beets.
>
> Serene
>
> --
> "I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
> the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

Thanx! This was a super-fast reply. My mind is eased now. The
supermarkets have everything but beets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 7:42�pm, Chris Tsao > wrote:
> On Sep 1, 7:40�pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>

> > Chris Tsao wrote:
> > > Since they don't sell beets in my neighborhood, I got the idea to buy
> > > canned beets for my borscht tomorrow. �So I am hoping someone in here
> > > can tell me how many ounces of beets from a can should I use for a
> > > borscht recipe which calls for three medium beets.

> > > Thanks again.

> > I'd use one 15-ounce can for three medium beets. Usually, you get 5-6
> > small beets in a can of whole beets.

> > Serene

> > --
> > "I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
> > the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins

> Thanx! This was a super-fast reply. My mind is eased now. The
> supermarkets have everything but beets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Tsao wrote:
> Since they don't sell beets in my neighborhood, I got the idea to buy
> canned beets for my borscht tomorrow. So I am hoping someone in here
> can tell me how many ounces of beets from a can should I use for a
> borscht recipe which calls for three medium beets.
>
> Thanks again.

One recipe I have calls for 5 large beets and says canned whole beets
can be substituted. I'm assuming that would be about half a one-pound
can. Just a guess.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 8:40*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> One recipe I have calls for 5 large beets and says canned whole beets
> can be substituted. I'm assuming that would be about half a one-pound
> can. *Just a guess.

Thanks, I was worrying about whether canned beets can be subsituted.
My recipe is from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook. Two of
the beets are supposed to be sliced, the other one shredded.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote in news:48bc8b9a$0
:

> Chris Tsao wrote:
>> Since they don't sell beets in my neighborhood, I got the idea

to buy
>> canned beets for my borscht tomorrow. So I am hoping someone

in here
>> can tell me how many ounces of beets from a can should I use

for a
>> borscht recipe which calls for three medium beets.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>

> One recipe I have calls for 5 large beets and says canned whole

beets
> can be substituted. I'm assuming that would be about half a

one-pound
> can. Just a guess.

Beets can get fairly large. If a large potato can weigh a 1/2
lb...so can a large beet.

--

The beet goes on -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

<Nothing>

This is the best post you've ever made, Shelly.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> One recipe I have calls for 5 large beets and says canned whole beets
> can be substituted. I'm assuming that would be about half a one-pound
> can. Just a guess.

5 large beets would weigh almost 2 lbs.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Tsao wrote:
> On Sep 1, 8:40 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> One recipe I have calls for 5 large beets and says canned whole beets
>> can be substituted. I'm assuming that would be about half a one-pound
>> can. Just a guess.

> Thanks, I was worrying about whether canned beets can be subsituted.
> My recipe is from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook. Two of
> the beets are supposed to be sliced, the other one shredded.

The recipe I have is from "The Jewish Home Beautiful" It says to shred
all the beets. Jenny Grossinger, in "The Art of Jewish Cooking" also
says to shred the all the beets.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> One recipe I have calls for 5 large beets and says canned whole beets
>> can be substituted. I'm assuming that would be about half a one-pound
>> can. Just a guess.

> 5 large beets would weigh almost 2 lbs.
>
> -sw

maybe before cooking?

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 1, 9:12*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:

> >> One recipe I have calls for 5 large beets and says canned whole beets
> >> can be substituted. I'm assuming that would be about half a one-pound
> >> can. *Just a guess.

> > 5 large beets would weigh almost 2 lbs.

> > -sw

> maybe before cooking?
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

That's good to know because mine will probably crumble since they're
canned and won't be raw I suppose. I read online somewhere that there
are probably as many recipes for borscht as there are Russians.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>
>>> One recipe I have calls for 5 large beets and says canned whole beets
>>> can be substituted. I'm assuming that would be about half a one-pound
>>> can. Just a guess.

>> 5 large beets would weigh almost 2 lbs.

> maybe before cooking?

Keep guessing.

They sure don't lose 80% of their mass when cooking, which is what
you're suggesting. Maybe 5-7%, depending on how you cook them.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Tsao wrote:
> On Sep 1, 8:40 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> One recipe I have calls for 5 large beets and says canned whole beets
>> can be substituted. I'm assuming that would be about half a one-pound
>> can. Just a guess.

> Thanks, I was worrying about whether canned beets can be subsituted.

Just don't use pickled!

> My recipe is from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook. Two of
> the beets are supposed to be sliced, the other one shredded.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> This is the best post you've ever made, Shelly.

When this is all you can do you have a sad, sad life. Hey, why don't
you show us again how you stuff chicken hides with garbage... you
loser douchebag... next you're gonna tell us how you grow 148 kinda
tomatoes You and enigma/smegma breath are one and the same pinochio
nosed imbeciles.

Ahahahahahahahahahah. . . .

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Sep 1, 4:39*pm, Chris Tsao > wrote:
> Since they don't sell beets in my neighborhood, I got the idea to buy
> canned beets for my borscht tomorrow. *So I am hoping someone in here
> can tell me how many ounces of beets from a can should I use for a
> borscht recipe which calls for three medium beets.

I made borscht with canned beets a couple of times; it was so-so, at
best. Then a few years ago we started growing beets in our little
backyard garden and sooner or later I tried borscht with fresh beets.
To us, it made a world of difference. So don't give up on your
neighborhood markets, keep your eye out for fresh beets, and try
borscht again when you find some.

Oh, and when you buy them, keep the greens and steam them. They're
great, too. --aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Tsao > wrote:

> Since they don't sell beets in my neighborhood, I got the idea to buy
> canned beets for my borscht tomorrow. So I am hoping someone in here
> can tell me how many ounces of beets from a can should I use for a
> borscht recipe which calls for three medium beets.

Whatever borscht means to you, I'd say... just eyeball it. The exact
amount is not critical. Do use the pickling liquid, which to some
extent will replace beet kvas, which is probably unavailable to you.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 20:18:27 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>Oh, and when you buy them, keep the greens and steam them. They're
>great, too. --aem

I can testify to that! They are my favorite green.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> This is the best post you've ever made, Shelly.

> When this is all you can do you have a sad, sad life. Hey, why don't
> you show us again how you stuff chicken hides with garbage... you
> loser douchebag... next you're gonna tell us how you grow 148 kinda
> tomatoes You and enigma/smegma breath are one and the same pinochio
> nosed imbeciles.
>
> Ahahahahahahahahahah. . . .

This from someone's who lifelong claim to fame is grinding beef.

Ahahahahahahahahahah. . . . indeed.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Chris Tsao > wrote:
>
>> Since they don't sell beets in my neighborhood, I got the idea to buy
>> canned beets for my borscht tomorrow. So I am hoping someone in here
>> can tell me how many ounces of beets from a can should I use for a
>> borscht recipe which calls for three medium beets.

> Whatever borscht means to you, I'd say... just eyeball it. The exact
> amount is not critical. Do use the pickling liquid, which to some
> extent will replace beet kvas, which is probably unavailable to you.

The default canned beets here are not pickled. They're packed in
the water in which they were cooked, usually with a little salt
(you can usually find "no salt added" canned beets as well).

I'm pretty sure I've seen beet juice/liquor (kvas) in the Kosher
sections of the grocery stores. Oddly, I see this strange warning
on the Net:

"Never drink beet juice by itself. Beet juice should always be mixed
with other vegetables and/or apple juice. Pure beet juice (from the
bulb or greens) can temporarily paralyze your vocal chords, make you
break out in hives, increase your heart rate, cause chills or a
fever."

I dont' know what to make of that. Sounds pretty far fetched as
beet juice is considered a healthy drink from everything I've
read. And eating beets isn't that much different than drinking
the juice.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I'm pretty sure I've seen beet juice/liquor (kvas) in the Kosher
> sections of the grocery stores. Oddly, I see this strange warning on
> the Net:
>
> "Never drink beet juice by itself. Beet juice should always be mixed
> with other vegetables and/or apple juice. Pure beet juice (from the
> bulb or greens) can temporarily paralyze your vocal chords, make you
> break out in hives, increase your heart rate, cause chills or a fever."
>
> I dont' know what to make of that. Sounds pretty far fetched as beet
> juice is considered a healthy drink from everything I've read. And
> eating beets isn't that much different than drinking the juice.

I read that in my juicer's manual, too. It actually said that if you
used more than about a half a beet in a glass of juice, you were risking
vocal cord paralysis. I haven't had any trouble with beet juice in
bigger quantities, but I haven't tried drinking it by itself, and not
sure why I would. It's a pretty strong taste.

Serene

--
"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > This is the best post you've ever made, Shelly.

> When this is all you can do you have a sad, sad life. Hey, why don't
> you show us again how you stuff chicken hides with garbage... you
> loser douchebag... next you're gonna tell us how you grow 148 kinda
> tomatoes You and enigma/smegma breath are one and the same pinochio
> nosed imbeciles.
>
> Ahahahahahahahahahah. . . .

WC designer Squirtz should team up with Glory Hole Queen cyberflub (who is
also a "rimmer"!), they could make magnificent music - albeit of the
"tinkling" type - together...!!!

;-D

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

> The default canned beets here are not pickled. They're packed in
> the water in which they were cooked, usually with a little salt
> (you can usually find "no salt added" canned beets as well).

If so, adding the liquid wouldn't do much good, but it wouldn't hurt,
either.

> I'm pretty sure I've seen beet juice/liquor (kvas) in the Kosher
> sections of the grocery stores.

Juice probably, if it is there at all. Beet kvas is fermented beet
juice. Both are available widely in Germany. Beet juice is usually
sold in glass bottles or in Tetra-Paks; beet kvas usually in glass
bottles. Beet juice is sweetish, with no acidity apparent; beet kvas
has a stronger sour-sweet taste. Both can be drunk "as is".

> Oddly, I see this strange warning
> on the Net:
>
> "Never drink beet juice by itself. Beet juice should always be mixed
> with other vegetables and/or apple juice. Pure beet juice (from the
> bulb or greens) can temporarily paralyze your vocal chords, make you
> break out in hives, increase your heart rate, cause chills or a
> fever."
>
> I dont' know what to make of that. Sounds pretty far fetched as
> beet juice is considered a healthy drink from everything I've
> read. And eating beets isn't that much different than drinking
> the juice.

Indeed. I do not think the "warning" is based on anything scientific.
A search of PubMed and Medline for "beta vulgaris" and toxicity revealed
nothing of the kind. Beet juice and beet kvas are sold in every "health
food" store, among other places, here. No warnings to be found
anywhere.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Tsao wrote:

> Since they don't sell beets in my neighborhood, I got the idea to buy
> canned beets for my borscht tomorrow. So I am hoping someone in here
> can tell me how many ounces of beets from a can should I use for a
> borscht recipe which calls for three medium beets.
>
> Thanks again.

It's soup, so it won't matter that much; get a nice ruby-purple colour
and judge the taste. Use the liquid from the beets in your broth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> Juice probably, if it is there at all. Beet kvas is fermented beet
> juice.

Victor,

Is the beet kvas anything like the russell (fermented borscht) that my
father liked so much?

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> "Never drink beet juice by itself. Beet juice should always be mixed
> with other vegetables and/or apple juice. Pure beet juice (from the
> bulb or greens) can temporarily paralyze your vocal chords, make you
> break out in hives, increase your heart rate, cause chills or a fever."
>
> I dont' know what to make of that. Sounds pretty far fetched as beet
> juice is considered a healthy drink from everything I've read. And
> eating beets isn't that much different than drinking the juice.

You never know. For example, rhubarb stalks are edible but the leaves
(full of oxalic acid) are poisonous?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
>
> > Juice probably, if it is there at all. Beet kvas is fermented beet
> > juice.

> Is the beet kvas anything like the russell (fermented borscht) that my
> father liked so much?

Yes, indeed, from what I gather, russel or russell is beet kvas - but
not the end product, borscht. "Russel(l) borscht" is borscht made with
"russel(l)".

This is very interesting! I wonder about the origin of the word, as
used in the context. It does not look Yiddish or Hebrew to me, and not
as anything coming from any East European languages.

How/where did your father got his russell borscht? Can one get
commercially produced russel(l) in the USA?

Victor

Whole Canned Beets w/cheese recipe - Fraud! brooklyn1 General Cooking 21 22-05-2009 04:58 PM
Canned Pickled Beets (3) Collection [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 02-04-2007 02:26 PM
Beets Sheldon General Cooking 0 05-11-2005 10:33 PM
Canned pickled beets Tim Recipes 0 22-07-2005 11:25 PM
Beets Kevintsheehy General Cooking 38 10-10-2004 05:00 AM