Posted to alt.food.diabetic
G&G G&G is offline

Default Beets?

Beets are ok since they are low in carbs. BUT, how do you cook them?
GW

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

top the green stuff off of the beet (but don't cut
into the beet)

place in water on the stove and boil for about 35
min (until a fork goes thru them easily)

drain off the boiling water and pour cold water
over the beet...... NOW you top and toe the beet
and peel off the skin

too easy :-)

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"G&G" > wrote in message
. ..
> Beets are ok since they are low in carbs. BUT,

how do you cook them?
> GW

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

TigerLily > wrote:
: top the green stuff off of the beet (but don't cut
: into the beet)

: place in water on the stove and boil for about 35
: min (until a fork goes thru them easily)

: drain off the boiling water and pour cold water
: over the beet...... NOW you top and toe the beet
: and peel off the skin

: too easy :-)

: kate

: "G&G" > wrote in message
: . ..
: > Beets are ok since they are low in carbs. BUT,
: how do you cook them?
: > GW

In addition, I find they cook well, and faster in a pressure cooker, if
you have one. Try 15 mins for smallbeets and 20 mins for large ones. you
can test for doneness by sticking a fork into them (long fork here) If yu
meet resistance, cook longer.

You cn also roast them. Clean as kate suggests, coat with olive
oil(lightly) wrap in foil and cake in a hot oven for lots of time, but it
varies by teh size of the beets. Again, test with a long fork for
doneness.

I love beets, and although they are a root and contain more sugar than
greens etc, they do not seem to spike me.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"G&G" > wrote in message
. ..
> Beets are ok since they are low in carbs. BUT, how do you cook them?

I wouldn't say they are low in carbs, nor are they high in carbs. They're
kind of medium in terms of carbs. They can be eaten raw, grated over salad,
boiled or roasted. One thing to keep in mind is that the color will bleed
as soon as the skins are off. So be careful where/how you prepare them. I
usually eat them raw these days, but I used to roast them with the skins on,
adding a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. I'd then let them cool a bit
and take the skins off.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"> Beets are ok since they are low in carbs. BUT, how do you cook them?
> GW

Try peel them and sliee them like chips. Also take some potatoes and
carrots, all sliced at apr same sice.
Put a bit of oil and spices, but no salt, on them, and put them ind the oven
for apr 30-45 minuts.. Tates great..

Louise, Denmark

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

TigerLily wrote:

> top the green stuff off of the beet (but don't cut
> into the beet)

Steam the green stuff. Put the wet leaves into a pot with about an inch
and a half of water. Steam until they are very wilted. It's very
nutritious and we find it quite tasty. Season with salt and pepper. I
like to steam the beet tops with some sauteed onion. If you think they
are too bitter, add a bit of Splenda. Give it a try, you were going to
throw them out anyway.
--
-----------
Janet Wilder
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"TigerLily" > wrote:

> top the green stuff off of the beet (but don't cut
> into the beet)

Throw away the beet and wash the greens well. Cut them into 2" sections
and steam in a covered saucepan until limp. Season with s&p and a pat
of butter.

Enjoy!

Priscilla, who collects cast-off beet greens for free at the farmers
market
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"G&G" > wrote in message
. ..
> Beets are ok since they are low in carbs. BUT, how do you cook them?

Roasted gets my vote - but they take ages, a good couple of hours. Leave
about an inch of stalks on, and don't take off any root, they'll bleed less.
I generally cook up the greens for a snack whilst I'm waiting : )

Once you've peeled them, cover them in a good vinaigrette, and season. They
live in the fridge for several days, yum yum yum.

Be warned - your urine will be a very scary colour

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i have to second your post Janet

we have our own garden in the backyard......... so
i will pull a bunch of beets for the 'greens' and
cook those

the next day(s) are the beets themselves

beet greens with a dab of butter and a sprinkle of
balsamic vinegar...... yummmm yummmm good

kate
--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk
More info: http://www.diabetic-talk.org/
http://www.diabetic-talk.org/freeveggies.htm
I have no medical qualifications beyond my own
experience.
Choose your advisers carefully, because experience
can be
an expensive teacher.

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in
message
> TigerLily wrote:
>
> > top the green stuff off of the beet (but don't

cut
> > into the beet)

> Steam the green stuff. Put the wet leaves into a

pot with about an inch
> and a half of water. Steam until they are very

wilted. It's very
> nutritious and we find it quite tasty. Season

with salt and pepper. I
> like to steam the beet tops with some sauteed

onion. If you think they
> are too bitter, add a bit of Splenda. Give it a

try, you were going to
> throw them out anyway.
> --
> -----------
> Janet Wilder
> The Road Princess
> http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

This post not CC'd by email
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:39:19 -0400, "G&G" > wrote:

>Beets are ok since they are low in carbs. BUT, how do you cook them?
>GW

G'day G'day,

I think you will have picked up the general idea for boiling or
baking beetroot from other posts so I'm going to throw in my favourite
way to have beetroot ... beetroot, tomato and radish curry. If it has
a problem it is that is very low carb and might not satisfy some
people who like their curries to have more carbs.

To save time I use tinned baby beets though I have boiled beets
skinned and diced them on occasions.

Heat half a tablespoon of oil in pan. Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and a
chopped up chilli. When the seeds change colour, add 1 tsp cumin seed
powder and 1/2 tsp of turmeric, a bay leaf and 1/2 tsp salt, then add
1/2 kg of beetroot and 1/2 kg of tomatoes. Cook for about 10 minutes.

Chopped up the radishes while the beet and tomatoes are simmering.
I use white daikon radish as it is easy to prepare.
Add the radish and simmer for a further 5 minutes.

The combination of beetroot, tomato and radish may seem strange but it
works.

Best wishes,

--
Quentin Grady ^ ^ /
New Zealand, >#,#< [

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/quentin

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan Moorman wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:39:19 -0400, "G&G" > wrote:
>

>>Beets are ok since they are low in carbs. BUT, how do you cook them?
>>GW
>>

> I buy pickled beets at the store. They come sliced, or whole. Great
> snack -- and no cooking!

Read the ingredients. Prepared, pickled beets often have added
sweeteners that will raise the carbs per serving. Be aware of the
serving size, too. Some companies will list tiny servings because they
consider a pickled food to be a condiment.

I have made my own pickled beets using Splenda. they keep very well in a
jar in the refrigerator.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

May I add that beet juice stains like the dickens- so don't wear white
wile handling them!
But they are worth the effort- delish!
Romy
G&G wrote:
> Beets are ok since they are low in carbs. BUT, how do you cook them?
> GW

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

What we do with Beets is we steam them in the rice cooker and eat them
like I do with carrots etc....

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:39:19 +1000, G&G > wrote:

> Beets are ok since they are low in carbs. BUT, how do you cook them?
> GW

Approximately how many ounces of canned beets equals threemedium-sized beets? Chris Tsao General Cooking 26 03-09-2008 05:14 AM
Beets? G&G Recipes 9 22-06-2006 05:52 AM
Beets Sheldon General Cooking 0 05-11-2005 09:33 PM
Beets C. James Strutz Vegan 8 02-11-2005 04:42 PM
Beets Guy Kroger Preserving 4 08-09-2005 03:47 AM