David J. Braunegg

Default Dilly Bean Question

I'd like to make Dilly Beans this year. (My 6-year old son planted Kentucky
Wonders and they are going gang-busters! Of course, he can't actually reach
them...)

Anyway, the BBB calls for 4 heads of dill for 2 quarts of beans. Is there
an equivalent amount of dried dill that I can use? How about of dill weed,
but not head?

Is there a better recipe than the BBB one?

Thanks,
Dave

~patches~

David J. Braunegg wrote:

> I'd like to make Dilly Beans this year. (My 6-year old son planted Kentucky
> Wonders and they are going gang-busters! Of course, he can't actually reach
> them...)
>
> Anyway, the BBB calls for 4 heads of dill for 2 quarts of beans. Is there
> an equivalent amount of dried dill that I can use? How about of dill weed,
> but not head?
>
> Is there a better recipe than the BBB one?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

I hear you on the Kentucky Wonders! I've done 21 - 500 ml (~ pint) jars
of them, given a couple of bags away, eaten them, and just picked
another couple of quarts this morning. There's no sign of them slowing
down. I can't help you on how much dried dill to use but each lg dill
head gives about 1 tbsp of dill seed. You might try that.

From Jean Pare's Company's Coming Preserves
- you can do one jar at a time

2 c grean or wax beans per pint (500 ml)
boiling water

1 head dill per pint
1/2 garlic clove per pint

1 c cider vinegar
1 c water
1 1/2 tsp pickling salt

Place beans in lg pot of boiling water, return to boil, boil 2 min.
Drain and rinse in cold water.
Place 1 head dill and 1 garlic clove into each hot sterilized pint jar.
Pack with beans into jar leaving 1" headspace.

In lg saucepan combine vinegar, water, and salt. Stir and bring to a
boil. Pour over beans leaving 1/4 headspace.

Process 10 min in bwb.

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 31 Aug 2005 09:45:28a, David J. Braunegg wrote in
rec.food.preserving:

> I'd like to make Dilly Beans this year. (My 6-year old son planted
> Kentucky Wonders and they are going gang-busters! Of course, he can't
> actually reach them...)
>
> Anyway, the BBB calls for 4 heads of dill for 2 quarts of beans. Is
> there an equivalent amount of dried dill that I can use? How about of
> dill weed, but not head?
>
> Is there a better recipe than the BBB one?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

I make small batces of dilly beans and used both the dried dillweed and
dillseed. When I pack the jars I put 1/2 teaspoon dillweed and 1/4
teaspoon of dill seed. I also put in a dried hot pepper.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974