Felice Friese

Default Question about 15-bean chili?

I came late to the 15-bean chili party, so I must have missed the recipe,
and Google just tells me to start with "15-bean soup mix." Can anyone tell
me what the 15 beans are? FIFTEEN? I would be hard-pressed to think of 15
(dried, I assume) beans, let alone find them in my markets. Can someone
enlighten me?

Felice

Rusty

Felice Friese wrote:
> I came late to the 15-bean chili party, so I must have missed the

recipe,
> and Google just tells me to start with "15-bean soup mix." Can

anyone tell
> me what the 15 beans are? FIFTEEN? I would be hard-pressed to think

of 15
> (dried, I assume) beans, let alone find them in my markets. Can

someone
> enlighten me?
>
> Felice

>From the Hurst Beans website here is a list of the "beans":

Northern, Pinto, Large Lima, Blackeye, Garbanzo, Baby Lima, Green Split
Pea, Kidney, Cranberry Bean, Small White, Pink Bean, Small Red, Yellow
Split Pea, Lentil, Navy, White Kidney, Black Bean, Pearl Barley.

http://hurstbeans.com/nutrition.htm

Not all are "beans". Some of the 15 are peas, barley and lentils.

Rusty

Peter Aitken

"Rusty" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Felice Friese wrote:
>> I came late to the 15-bean chili party, so I must have missed the

> recipe,
>> and Google just tells me to start with "15-bean soup mix." Can

> anyone tell
>> me what the 15 beans are? FIFTEEN? I would be hard-pressed to think

> of 15
>> (dried, I assume) beans, let alone find them in my markets. Can

> someone
>> enlighten me?
>>
>> Felice

>>From the Hurst Beans website here is a list of the "beans":

> Northern, Pinto, Large Lima, Blackeye, Garbanzo, Baby Lima, Green Split
> Pea, Kidney, Cranberry Bean, Small White, Pink Bean, Small Red, Yellow
> Split Pea, Lentil, Navy, White Kidney, Black Bean, Pearl Barley.
>
> http://hurstbeans.com/nutrition.htm
>
> Not all are "beans". Some of the 15 are peas, barley and lentils.

What a blatant gimmick. Can anyone with an ounce of intelligence believe for
a moment that having all these "bean" varieties makes it better?

No.

--
Peter Aitken

Rusty

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Rusty" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Felice Friese wrote:
> >> I came late to the 15-bean chili party, so I must have missed the

> > recipe,
> >> and Google just tells me to start with "15-bean soup mix." Can

> > anyone tell
> >> me what the 15 beans are? FIFTEEN? I would be hard-pressed to

think
> > of 15
> >> (dried, I assume) beans, let alone find them in my markets. Can

> > someone
> >> enlighten me?
> >>
> >> Felice

> >>From the Hurst Beans website here is a list of the "beans":

> > Northern, Pinto, Large Lima, Blackeye, Garbanzo, Baby Lima, Green

Split
> > Pea, Kidney, Cranberry Bean, Small White, Pink Bean, Small Red,

Yellow
> > Split Pea, Lentil, Navy, White Kidney, Black Bean, Pearl Barley.
> >
> > http://hurstbeans.com/nutrition.htm
> >
> > Not all are "beans". Some of the 15 are peas, barley and lentils.

> What a blatant gimmick. Can anyone with an ounce of intelligence

believe for
> a moment that having all these "bean" varieties makes it better?
>
> No.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken

My guess would be, no matter how you cook them, some will be over done
and some will be under done. A large dried lima bean and a small dried
pearl barly or lentil can't have the same cooking requirements.

Rusty

Rusty

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 14 Apr 2005 04:56:36p, Peter Aitken wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Rusty" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>
>> Felice Friese wrote:
>>> I came late to the 15-bean chili party, so I must have missed the
>>> recipe, and Google just tells me to start with "15-bean soup mix."
>>> Can anyone tell me what the 15 beans are? FIFTEEN? I would be
>>> hard-pressed to think of 15 (dried, I assume) beans, let alone find
>>> them in my markets. Can someone enlighten me?
>>>
>>> Felice

>>>From the Hurst Beans website here is a list of the "beans":

>> Northern, Pinto, Large Lima, Blackeye, Garbanzo, Baby Lima, Green Split
>> Pea, Kidney, Cranberry Bean, Small White, Pink Bean, Small Red, Yellow
>> Split Pea, Lentil, Navy, White Kidney, Black Bean, Pearl Barley.
>>
>> http://hurstbeans.com/nutrition.htm
>>
>> Not all are "beans". Some of the 15 are peas, barley and lentils.

> What a blatant gimmick. Can anyone with an ounce of intelligence believe
> for a moment that having all these "bean" varieties makes it better?
>
> No.

OTOH, does it make it worse?

No.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Damsel in dis Dress

A little birdie told me that "Rusty" > said:

>My guess would be, no matter how you cook them, some will be over done
>and some will be under done. A large dried lima bean and a small dried
>pearl barly or lentil can't have the same cooking requirements.

Yup. Some of the smaller peas just became thickeners for the soup.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Felice Friese

"Rusty" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Felice Friese wrote:
>> I came late to the 15-bean chili party, so I must have missed the

> recipe,
>> and Google just tells me to start with "15-bean soup mix." Can

> anyone tell
>> me what the 15 beans are? FIFTEEN? I would be hard-pressed to think

> of 15
>> (dried, I assume) beans, let alone find them in my markets. Can

> someone
>> enlighten me?
>>
>> Felice

>>From the Hurst Beans website here is a list of the "beans":

> Northern, Pinto, Large Lima, Blackeye, Garbanzo, Baby Lima, Green Split
> Pea, Kidney, Cranberry Bean, Small White, Pink Bean, Small Red, Yellow
> Split Pea, Lentil, Navy, White Kidney, Black Bean, Pearl Barley.
>
> http://hurstbeans.com/nutrition.htm
>
> Not all are "beans". Some of the 15 are peas, barley and lentils.
>
> Rusty

OK, here's my take on it. The ingredient lists on Hurst's website says the
packages contain 15 of 18 listed beans, etc. I figure at the end of the day,
after they've bagged all 18 varieties individually, they toss all the
leftovers -- an ounce of this, an ounce of that -- into the 15-bean bags.

Me, I'll just stick with one-of-a-kind, one-at-a-time.

Felice

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 14 Apr 2005 08:30:20p, Felice Friese wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Rusty" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>
>> Felice Friese wrote:
>>> I came late to the 15-bean chili party, so I must have missed the
>>> recipe, and Google just tells me to start with "15-bean soup mix."
>>> Can anyone tell me what the 15 beans are? FIFTEEN? I would be
>>> hard-pressed to think of 15 (dried, I assume) beans, let alone find
>>> them in my markets. Can someone enlighten me?
>>>
>>> Felice

>>>From the Hurst Beans website here is a list of the "beans":

>> Northern, Pinto, Large Lima, Blackeye, Garbanzo, Baby Lima, Green Split
>> Pea, Kidney, Cranberry Bean, Small White, Pink Bean, Small Red, Yellow
>> Split Pea, Lentil, Navy, White Kidney, Black Bean, Pearl Barley.
>>
>> http://hurstbeans.com/nutrition.htm
>>
>> Not all are "beans". Some of the 15 are peas, barley and lentils.
>>
>> Rusty

> OK, here's my take on it. The ingredient lists on Hurst's website says
> the packages contain 15 of 18 listed beans, etc. I figure at the end of
> the day, after they've bagged all 18 varieties individually, they toss
> all the leftovers -- an ounce of this, an ounce of that -- into the
> 15-bean bags.
>
> Me, I'll just stick with one-of-a-kind, one-at-a-time.
>
> Felice

Years ago I tried one of these packages, not this brand and probably not 15
beans, maybe 10 or 12. As I recall, it made a good soup, but nothing out
of the ordinary. I have since made multi-bean and grain soups, but it was
my own combination, adding beans, peas, and grains from individual
packages. I liked the results. It's also easier to control the different
cooking rates of the ingredients, adding quicker cooking items like
lentils, peas, barley, etc., later in the process. I almost always cook
bean soups with a ham bone or ham stock and sometimes add sausage. I don't
like "brothy" soups, so will deliberately allow some quicker cooking
varieties to cook to mushiness to thicken the soup.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Felice Friese

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> Years ago I tried one of these packages, not this brand and probably not
> 15
> beans, maybe 10 or 12. As I recall, it made a good soup, but nothing out
> of the ordinary. I have since made multi-bean and grain soups, but it was
> my own combination, adding beans, peas, and grains from individual
> packages. I liked the results. It's also easier to control the different
> cooking rates of the ingredients, adding quicker cooking items like
> lentils, peas, barley, etc., later in the process. I almost always cook
> bean soups with a ham bone or ham stock and sometimes add sausage. I
> don't
> like "brothy" soups, so will deliberately allow some quicker cooking
> varieties to cook to mushiness to thicken the soup.
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Now that you mention it, Wayne, I have a bean recipe that recommends
pureeing some of the cooked beans and pitching them back in the pot to
thicken the finished dish.

And a ham bone always helps. In my starving days in Greenwich Village I used
to pop into the kitchen of the neighborhood pub and beg for their ham bones
(they made a mean ham sammich) for my weekly pot of pea soup.

Felice

Kate Connally

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Rusty" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Felice Friese wrote:
> >> I came late to the 15-bean chili party, so I must have missed the

> > recipe,
> >> and Google just tells me to start with "15-bean soup mix." Can

> > anyone tell
> >> me what the 15 beans are? FIFTEEN? I would be hard-pressed to think

> > of 15
> >> (dried, I assume) beans, let alone find them in my markets. Can

> > someone
> >> enlighten me?
> >>
> >> Felice

> >>From the Hurst Beans website here is a list of the "beans":

> > Northern, Pinto, Large Lima, Blackeye, Garbanzo, Baby Lima, Green Split
> > Pea, Kidney, Cranberry Bean, Small White, Pink Bean, Small Red, Yellow
> > Split Pea, Lentil, Navy, White Kidney, Black Bean, Pearl Barley.
> >
> > http://hurstbeans.com/nutrition.htm

Hey, that's cheating! Large limas and small limas are still
just limas! Sheesh!

> > Not all are "beans". Some of the 15 are peas, barley and lentils.

> What a blatant gimmick. Can anyone with an ounce of intelligence believe for
> a moment that having all these "bean" varieties makes it better?

Maybe not better but interesting and pretty to look at.
I don't see it as a gimmick at all. And each bean has it's
own different flavor.

I've made it a time or two many years ago. I never could
understand though how to get all those different things cooked
properly if you dump them in all at the same time. Sure they
use the smaller versions of things like kidney beans, etc., but
there's still no way the lentils and peas aren't going to be
over-cooked by the time the kidneys, etc., are done.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 15 Apr 2005 09:30:00a, Felice Friese wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
>> Years ago I tried one of these packages, not this brand and probably
>> not 15 beans, maybe 10 or 12. As I recall, it made a good soup, but
>> nothing out of the ordinary. I have since made multi-bean and grain
>> soups, but it was my own combination, adding beans, peas, and grains
>> from individual packages. I liked the results. It's also easier to
>> control the different cooking rates of the ingredients, adding quicker
>> cooking items like lentils, peas, barley, etc., later in the process.
>> I almost always cook bean soups with a ham bone or ham stock and
>> sometimes add sausage. I don't like "brothy" soups, so will
>> deliberately allow some quicker cooking varieties to cook to mushiness
>> to thicken the soup. --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> Now that you mention it, Wayne, I have a bean recipe that recommends
> pureeing some of the cooked beans and pitching them back in the pot to
> thicken the finished dish.
>
> And a ham bone always helps. In my starving days in Greenwich Village I
> used to pop into the kitchen of the neighborhood pub and beg for their
> ham bones (they made a mean ham sammich) for my weekly pot of pea soup.
>
> Felice

Small world... I once lived on Charles St. near W 4th St., not that far
from Bleeker. I think the building I lived in was later a restaurant and
still later a furniture store.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Felice Friese

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Fri 15 Apr 2005 09:30:00a, Felice Friese wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> And a ham bone always helps. In my starving days in Greenwich Village I
>> used to pop into the kitchen of the neighborhood pub and beg for their
>> ham bones (they made a mean ham sammich) for my weekly pot of pea soup.
>>
>> Felice

> Small world... I once lived on Charles St. near W 4th St., not that far
> from Bleeker. I think the building I lived in was later a restaurant and
> still later a furniture store.
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Downing Street and Morton Street for me. Waaaay back in the late '40s and
'50s.

Felice

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 15 Apr 2005 01:52:18p, Felice Friese wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Fri 15 Apr 2005 09:30:00a, Felice Friese wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> And a ham bone always helps. In my starving days in Greenwich Village
>>> I used to pop into the kitchen of the neighborhood pub and beg for
>>> their ham bones (they made a mean ham sammich) for my weekly pot of
>>> pea soup.
>>>
>>> Felice

>> Small world... I once lived on Charles St. near W 4th St., not that
>> far from Bleeker. I think the building I lived in was later a
>> restaurant and still later a furniture store.
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Downing Street and Morton Street for me. Waaaay back in the late '40s
> and '50s.
>
> Felice

It was the early and mid '60s for me. When I go back to NYC, I sure do
miss all the places that are long gone.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Curly Sue

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:00:50 -0400, "Felice Friese"
> wrote:

>I came late to the 15-bean chili party, so I must have missed the recipe,
>and Google just tells me to start with "15-bean soup mix." Can anyone tell
>me what the 15 beans are? FIFTEEN? I would be hard-pressed to think of 15
>(dried, I assume) beans, let alone find them in my markets. Can someone
>enlighten me?

Personally, I'd use at least half a bag of dried beans for soup.
Fifteen seems a bit light... unless they're really big beans ;>

Sue(tm)
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 15 Apr 2005 03:26:49p, Curly Sue wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:00:50 -0400, "Felice Friese"
> > wrote:
>
>>I came late to the 15-bean chili party, so I must have missed the recipe,
>>and Google just tells me to start with "15-bean soup mix." Can anyone
>>tell me what the 15 beans are? FIFTEEN? I would be hard-pressed to think
>>of 15 (dried, I assume) beans, let alone find them in my markets. Can
>>someone enlighten me?
>>

> Personally, I'd use at least half a bag of dried beans for soup.
> Fifteen seems a bit light... unless they're really big beans ;>

Or a very tiny pot.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Ophelia

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:00:50 -0400, "Felice Friese"
> > wrote:
>
>>I came late to the 15-bean chili party, so I must have missed the recipe,
>>and Google just tells me to start with "15-bean soup mix." Can anyone
>>tell
>>me what the 15 beans are? FIFTEEN? I would be hard-pressed to think of 15
>>(dried, I assume) beans, let alone find them in my markets. Can someone
>>enlighten me?
>>

> Personally, I'd use at least half a bag of dried beans for soup.
> Fifteen seems a bit light... unless they're really big beans ;>

LOL