Melba's Jammin'

Default It Is Finished

Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
Apricot Butter
Apricot Jam
Blackberry Jam
Cherry Jam
Nectarine Jam
Peach Jam
Raspberry Jam
Strawberry Jam
Cherry Amaretto Jam
Blackberry Jelly
Grape Jelly
Mint Jelly
Plum Jelly
Raspberry Jelly
Peach Cherry Jelly
Breat & Butter Pickles
Peach Chutney
Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
Corn Relish
Dill Pickle Relish

I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Ophelia

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> Apricot Butter
> Apricot Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Peach Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Cherry Amaretto Jam
> Blackberry Jelly
> Grape Jelly
> Mint Jelly
> Plum Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Peach Cherry Jelly
> Breat & Butter Pickles
> Peach Chutney
> Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> Corn Relish
> Dill Pickle Relish
>
> I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't
> win
> much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful!
> The
> Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck Barb but I doubt you will need it)

Joyce

That is quite an impressive list Barb and I'll be looking forward to hear
how you've done!

Fingers crossed.

Joyce

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> > exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

(entry list snipped for brevity)

> WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck Barb but I doubt you will need it)

Heh! Who knows? The years I think I've got a bunch of sure things,
I've come up short; last year I didn't hold much hope for most of it and
walked away with almost every big award they were giving. Go figure.
That it IS always a crapshoot is part of the fun. I'm a masochist.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Toni

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

<snip>

> I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
> much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?

Break a beater Barb! Texas changed their rules this year. We are only
allowed 10 entries. I managed 8 (Strawberry Jam, Peach Jam, Pear and Cherry
Mincemeat, Barbecue sauce, cranberry relish, Key Lime Marmalade, sugar free
grape jelly, and wild grape jelly) that I will take in next weekend but
won't know the judging results for 2 weeks. The wild grape jelly from
grapes growing near my new office. I brought in a jar with some honey wheat
bread to test out on the at work guinea pigs. I'm amazed at the powers of
observation of my co-workers. The reactions I got ranged from "you can make
jelly out of those grapes outside?" to "what grapes outside?". :-D

Sometimes it's all a crapshoot. Things I think are fantastic get diddley and
things I think are so-so get first. You never know what the judges will
like. Funny you mention Mint Jelly. I made some last year and thought it
was too cloudy and I almost scratched it as an entry. Then the DH reminded
me of the unwritten rule of the fair "You make it , you take it." It ended
up getting first!

Can't wait to hear your results!
--
Peace and Love,
Toni ^_^

The truth is out there. Trust no one. Deny everything.

justme (Karen)

Good luck to you
Let us know how it goes!

Best,
Karen

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> Apricot Butter
> Apricot Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Peach Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Cherry Amaretto Jam
> Blackberry Jelly
> Grape Jelly
> Mint Jelly
> Plum Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Peach Cherry Jelly
> Breat & Butter Pickles
> Peach Chutney
> Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> Corn Relish
> Dill Pickle Relish
>
> I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
> much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
> couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Anny Middon

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

It all sounds delicious -- can't wait to see how you did!

Is the BBQ sauce recipe a secret, or might you share it? It sounds really
yummy!

Anny

William R. Watt

making the preserves fullfills my masochistic needs.
thank goodness they taste so good in the middle of winter.

Do they let you add green dye to the mint jelley?
The recipes I've seen recommend it but I made it without last year.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Anny
Middon" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> > exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

> It all sounds delicious -- can't wait to see how you did!
>
> Is the BBQ sauce recipe a secret, or might you share it? It sounds
> really
> yummy!
>
> Anny

Recipe, huh? How about "guide"? :-)

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Cherry Chipotle Sauce - 2005

Recipe By : Barb Schaller (her very own she-dreamed-it-up-herself)
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Condiments Canning, Preserves, Etc.

36 ounces frozen sweet cherries (3 bags Dole brand)
1 cup dried cranberries
2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes
3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon citric acid
1/2 teaspoon garlic granules or a couple cloves of peeled
garlic
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring

WHAT I DID: Ground the frozen cherries using fine plate on grinder.
When they thawed, they were pureed. Ground the cranberries and
tomatoes. Chopped the chipotles in small Cuisinart. Combined fruits in
dutch oven and let stand a while. Added remaining ingredients and
cooked slowly for about 30 minutes. Poured into blender container and
pureed in a couple batches. Returned to boil and poured into jars,
sealed, and processed.

Pour into 6-8 prepared half pint jars. Process in a boiling water bath
for 25 minutes. I picked that time based on BBB recipe for barbecue
sauce and added 5 minutes for MN altitude.

I didn't test the pH because it seems clear to me that it's acidic
enough for safe BWB processing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This has a nice sneaky heat to it. Not too much.
Entered in the 2005 MN State Fair, Gedney Spicy Barbecue Sauce lot.

The 2004 version was a little different -- it involved some blackberry
and cherry jellies that hadn't sealed well and I wanted them out of the
fridge. I also used pectin in the 2004 version. My original
inspiration for this was some Harry & David brand cherry chipotle sauce.
It was some good.
_____
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Anny Middon

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Anny
> Middon" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> > Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
>> > exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

>> It all sounds delicious -- can't wait to see how you did!
>>
>> Is the BBQ sauce recipe a secret, or might you share it? It sounds
>> really
>> yummy!
>>
>> Anny

> Recipe, huh? How about "guide"? :-)

Recipe duly saved in my "must try" file. Many, many thanks.

Anny

Toni

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> NOTES : This has a nice sneaky heat to it. Not too much.
> Entered in the 2005 MN State Fair, Gedney Spicy Barbecue Sauce lot.

Barb,
Speaking Gedney, they have made their way all the way down to the great
state of Texas. The DFW area Albertsons stores has the State Fair Pickles
but not the Jams yet.
--
Peace and Love,
Toni ^_^

The truth is out there. Trust no one. Deny everything.

Melba's Jammin'

In article > , "Toni"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >
> > NOTES : This has a nice sneaky heat to it. Not too much.
> > Entered in the 2005 MN State Fair, Gedney Spicy Barbecue Sauce lot.
> >

> Barb,
> Speaking Gedney, they have made their way all the way down to the great
> state of Texas. The DFW area Albertsons stores has the State Fair Pickles
> but not the Jams yet.

Hot diggety! Thanks for that info, Toni. Someone once ran into my jam
at an Albertson's in Tulsa some years ago. Those State Fair pickles are
pretty darned good, BTW!
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
cooksalot

as always you'll do great!

Vicky