Melba's Jammin'

Default It Is Finished!

Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
Apricot Butter
Apricot Jam
Blackberry Jam
Cherry Jam
Nectarine Jam
Peach Jam
Raspberry Jam
Strawberry Jam
Cherry Amaretto Jam
Blackberry Jelly
Grape Jelly
Mint Jelly
Plum Jelly
Raspberry Jelly
Peach Cherry Jelly
Breat & Butter Pickles
Peach Chutney
Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
Corn Relish
Dill Pickle Relish

I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?

IWuzJammin'!
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Sheldon

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> Apricot Butter
> Apricot Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Peach Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Cherry Amaretto Jam
> Blackberry Jelly
> Grape Jelly
> Mint Jelly
> Plum Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Peach Cherry Jelly
> Breat & Butter Pickles
> Peach Chutney
> Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> Corn Relish
> Dill Pickle Relish
>
> I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
> much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
>
> IWuzJammin'!
> --
> -Barb

I just know your Breast & Butter Pickles will be a big winner.

Sheldon (num num)

sf

Hope these weren't made at the last minute. I'm tired just reading
the list.

Best of luck to you!
````````````````````````````

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:38:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> Apricot Butter
> Apricot Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Peach Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Cherry Amaretto Jam
> Blackberry Jelly
> Grape Jelly
> Mint Jelly
> Plum Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Peach Cherry Jelly
> Breat & Butter Pickles
> Peach Chutney
> Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> Corn Relish
> Dill Pickle Relish
>
> I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
> much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
>
> IWuzJammin'!

Damsel

How do you DO it? The Cherry Amaretto sounds to-die-for.

I'm bummed ... your cherry jam still isn't available here. I'll look for
some next time we're in the Cities (which isn't very often ... I really
like living in a smaller town).

Best wishes for lots of purples and blues!

Carol

Melba's Jammin' > said:

> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> Apricot Butter
> Apricot Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Peach Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Cherry Amaretto Jam
> Blackberry Jelly
> Grape Jelly
> Mint Jelly
> Plum Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Peach Cherry Jelly
> Breat & Butter Pickles
> Peach Chutney
> Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> Corn Relish
> Dill Pickle Relish
>
> I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
> much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
>
> IWuzJammin'!

jmcquown

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

(snipped list)

> I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't
> win much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful!
> The Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful.
> The Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I
> know?
>
> IWuzJammin'!

You have been busy! Best of luck with all your entries!

Jill

Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> Apricot Butter
> Apricot Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Peach Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Cherry Amaretto Jam
> Blackberry Jelly
> Grape Jelly
> Mint Jelly
> Plum Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Peach Cherry Jelly
> Bread & Butter Pickles
> Peach Chutney
> Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> Corn Relish
> Dill Pickle Relish
>
> I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
> much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
>
> IWuzJammin'!

As so many times before, I stand in awe of your "jammin'". Good Luck
with all your entries. It seems that you are entering more than ever,
or am I wrong?

I hope that you will take a good rest today, or are you planning to do
some baking, too?

Stan Horwitz

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> Apricot Butter
> Apricot Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Peach Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Cherry Amaretto Jam
> Blackberry Jelly
> Grape Jelly
> Mint Jelly
> Plum Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Peach Cherry Jelly
> Breat & Butter Pickles
> Peach Chutney
> Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> Corn Relish
> Dill Pickle Relish

What, and no homemade bread for the jams? Just kidding.
I would wish you luck, but you don't need it. You're
guaranteed to win at least one award!
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> > exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> > Apricot Butter
> > Apricot Jam
> > Blackberry Jam
> > Cherry Jam
> > Nectarine Jam
> > Peach Jam
> > Raspberry Jam
> > Strawberry Jam
> > Cherry Amaretto Jam
> > Blackberry Jelly
> > Grape Jelly
> > Mint Jelly
> > Plum Jelly
> > Raspberry Jelly
> > Peach Cherry Jelly
> > Bread & Butter Pickles
> > Peach Chutney
> > Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> > Corn Relish
> > Dill Pickle Relish
> >
> > I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't
> > win
> > much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> > doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> > Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> > The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> > but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> > Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> > Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
> >
> > IWuzJammin'!

> As so many times before, I stand in awe of your "jammin'". Good Luck
> with all your entries. It seems that you are entering more than ever,
> or am I wrong?

You're wrong. :-) Several years ago they put a cap on the number of
entries we can make. Twenty canning entries and 25 baking entries. My
recollection is that one year, I had 43 entries in canning and baking.
My sanity has partially returned since then. In those days, there were
bakers and preservers who entered *every* lot.

And you thought I was crazy.

> I hope that you will take a good rest today, or are you planning to do
> some baking, too?

Baking will be between today and next Sunday morning at 0-dark-hundred.

--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> > exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

> > Breat & Butter Pickles

> > I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
> > much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> > doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> > Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> > The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> > but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> > Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> > Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
> >
> > IWuzJammin'!
> > --
> > -Barb

> I just know your Breast & Butter Pickles will be a big winner.
>
> Sheldon (num num)

They're *very special*, indeed. They've won first place three of the
last four years; if they should happen to win again this year, I can't
enter them for two years.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
sfpipeline_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Hope these weren't made at the last minute. I'm tired just reading
> the list.
>
> Best of luck to you!
> ````````````````````````````
>
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:38:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> > exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

(snip )
> > IWuzJammin'!

Thanks. No. The dance starts in mid-May but the beat gets faster in
mid-July. Pretty much finished now, but for some apple butter in a
month or so. If enough people sign up, I'll teach a class in apple
butter in mid-October through my community ed department.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Stan Horwitz
> wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> > exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

> What, and no homemade bread for the jams?

Honey, those are just the canning entries. The baked goods will be
delivered next Sunday morning. Including the homemade bread. "-)

> Just kidding. I would wish you luck, but you don't need it. You're
> guaranteed to win at least one award!

Hope springs eternal. :-0)
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
JeanineAlyse

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> Apricot Butter
> Apricot Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Peach Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Cherry Amaretto Jam
> Blackberry Jelly
> Grape Jelly
> Mint Jelly
> Plum Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Peach Cherry Jelly
> Breat & Butter Pickles
> Peach Chutney
> Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> Corn Relish
> Dill Pickle Relish
>
> I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
> much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
> IWuzJammin'!

Girlfriend, I think you've just posted my order for this year...a dozen
of each! As I've never tried any fruit butter before, are these
intended as a replacement for want of plain butter along with a jam on
biscuits or toast, or are there other uses for them? Today I will be
using the last bit of your Cherry Chipotle in and over stuffed chicken
breasts, and it's wonderful for basting the too dry pork slices I'd all
but given up on. Your B&B Pickles will be a for-sure, and though I'd
never considered a Dill Pickle Relish, it sounds like a great tasty!

....Picky

Boron Elgar

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:38:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>IWuzJammin'!

As usual, Madame, you are to be complimented (and I guess
complemented, too, based on your list!), and Hosannas offered for all
your efforts.

Best of luck to you, though with your talents, it will be your hard
work that pays off.

Boron
Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> Apricot Butter
> Apricot Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Peach Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Cherry Amaretto Jam
> Blackberry Jelly
> Grape Jelly
> Mint Jelly
> Plum Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Peach Cherry Jelly
> Breat & Butter Pickles
> Peach Chutney
> Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> Corn Relish
> Dill Pickle Relish

Omigod!
Can you say overachiever?
Does any one else stand a chance?
No bread this year, or does that come later?

Sending lots of blue ribbon vibes your wayl.

gloria p
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"JeanineAlyse" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> > exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

(list of canning entries snipped)
> > I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
> > much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> > doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> > Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> > The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> > but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> > Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> > Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
> > IWuzJammin'!

> Girlfriend, I think you've just posted my order for this year...a dozen
> of each! As I've never tried any fruit butter before, are these
> intended as a replacement for want of plain butter along with a jam on
> biscuits or toast, or are there other uses for them? Today I will be
> using the last bit of your Cherry Chipotle in and over stuffed chicken
> breasts, and it's wonderful for basting the too dry pork slices I'd all
> but given up on. Your B&B Pickles will be a for-sure, and though I'd
> never considered a Dill Pickle Relish, it sounds like a great tasty!
>
> ...Picky

Well, Rob gets testy when I liberate jars of his B&B pickles from the
larder. Looks like I may have to do another batch.

Uh-oh. . . . then let me say this about that. . . .

You've never had fruit butter, Miss Jeanine? I'll pray for your soul.
You know that I almost never eat the stuff I make, right? Not because
it's not wonderful (most of it is), but simply because I don't think to
do it. Rob eats toast with peanut butter and jam nearly every morning.
I don't think to make toast for myself and when I do, I prefer it plain,
with butter. Unless lightning strikes and I think to put something else
on top of it.

But the fruit butters Ah, the fruit butters. They are my most
favorite because they are so very versatile. The options for fruit
butter are better than the ones the guys at Google get for working there.
I have, at various times in my preserving adventures, made Apricot
Butter, Plum Butter, Peach Butter, and Apple Butter. All but the apple
butter have received blue ribbons at my State Fair. Apple butter is
good. It's basic. Apricot Butter, beautifully bright orange, is worth
its weight in gold. Peach Butter is mellow. Plum Butter wakes you up
and makes your mouth water. I have plums on my tree and have fingers
crossed that there will be enough for at least a small batch of
Plum-m-m-m-m Butter.

Ah, but you ask about the use of fruit butter. Apricot Butter, spread
on a lightly buttered and nicely toasted English muffin half, will make
you weep. Diluted with some vinegar, it makes a nice dip for deep fried
chicken bits or chicken wings. Tears of ecstasy will overflow your eyes
if you've swirled some into this cream cheese coffeecake filling before
baking. Lunchtime yogurt is improved with some fruit butter swirled
into it. A dollop of fruit butter on the side of the plate is a
terrific accompaniment to rich meats or grilled chicken. Oh, excuse me,
I'm having a hard time, uh, breathing, at the very thought of it.
And let me tell you that the very best fruit butters do not have pectin
added to them. The ingredient list should be fruit pulp, sugar, and
maybe some spices. I spice only my Plum Butter, Apple Butter, and Peach
Butter. I've never been one to gild a lily, so I do not adulterate the
bright and tangy flavor of the Apricot Butter. Is your mouth watering
yet? :-)

There is a series of publications to be found in different parts of the
country:
http://ediblecommunities.com/ (home base for them)
http://ediblecommunities.com/pages/membernews.htm (communities that
have publications)
http://www.edibletwincities.net/ (the local publication which will
feature me in its Fall issue with an emphasis on making and preserving
fruit butter; some r.f.c. folks met the chap who's written the article,
John Driemen, a school classmate, at Margaret's Suran's r.f.c. brunch
last fall.) John says the article is good and I can't wait to see what
he made of our visit together a few weeks ago.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

Read it through before starting. Then read it again.

Recipe By : posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 8/14/2005
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Coffee Cakes, Treats, etc.

Crust:
1/4 cup scalded milk
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 egg
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
Filling:
1 pkg. cream cheese -- (8 oz.) softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Topping:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour

Combine the milk, sugar, salt, and butter. Dissolve the yeast in the
warm water. Cool the yeast mixture and add to milk mixture. Add the
egg and flour to the yeast mixture (dough will be soft and sticky).
Place in a greased bowl and let rise until double -- about 30-45 minutes.

Roll or pat dough into a circle and place in a greased 16² pizza pan.
With greased fingers, shape as a pizza crust.

Make filling by creaming the cheese and sugar together and adding the
egg and vanilla. Pour filling evenly over crust.

For topping, cut margarine (butter) into sugar and flour with pastry
blender until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of filling. Let raise for 30
minutes.

Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes, until brown. Drizzle with powdered
sugar icing. (Note that I've never done the drizzle, though it might
pretty it up a bit.) Cut into wedges. Serves 12-16.

NOTES: That¹s the recipe as I got it from the newspaper, Taste Section,
Minneapolis Star and Tribune sometime in the late 1970s. When I entered
the coffee cake in the 1985 State Fair, I did a few things differently.

Make 6 at a time! They freeze beautifully! (There's a great story
about THAT!) Make twice the dough and topping recipes, and three times
the filling recipe. Divide among 6 cheap 8" foil cake pans (round) from
the grocery store.

Everything can be mixed in the food processor -- and I do. Bear in mind
that the dough is soft and sticky -- I usually wind up adding more
flour. How much? Dunno. If making only this amount, I'd mix it in a
2-quart pyrex measuring cup. If done in the food processor, I do it in
this order: make crumbly topping first; mix dough, then mix filling
ingredients.

I have added grated orange peel to the filling. In 1986, I added a
homemade apricot filling made from dried apricots, on top of the cream
cheese filling. I always use butter for topping and crust. Hot tip:
Add 1/8 tsp. ascorbic acid (Fruit Fresh) to water for yeast. Double
amount for larger recipe. Sweet doughs like this treatment.

Have never used the powdered sugar icing top.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : 1st Place, Minnesota State Fair 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990! Second
Place, 1987; not entered 1988. Bomb, 1991. Featured in Ann
Burckhardt's 2003 book, A Cook's Tour of Minnesota (available through
Amazon, if not locally, this is a GREAT read!! Even if you're not a
Minnesotan).
_____

And, no, Bubba Vic, there are NO beets in the lot. It was not an
oversight. "-)
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Victor Sack

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> And, no, Bubba Vic, there are NO beets in the lot. It was not an
> oversight. "-)

No BBB? I'm sorry to report the following sad info obtained from an
inside source: Due to the deep depression suddenly afflicting all the
judges, there will be no blue ribbons awarded this year. All the
ribbons will be black.

Bubba Vic
Jean B.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> Apricot Butter
> Apricot Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Peach Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Cherry Amaretto Jam
> Blackberry Jelly
> Grape Jelly
> Mint Jelly
> Plum Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Peach Cherry Jelly
> Breat & Butter Pickles
> Peach Chutney
> Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> Corn Relish
> Dill Pickle Relish
>
> I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
> much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
>
> IWuzJammin'!

OMG! How long did all of this take you? Is it as hot as
Hades there too? I am really impressed....

--
Jean B.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> > exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> > Apricot Butter
> > Apricot Jam
> > Blackberry Jam
> > Cherry Jam
> > Nectarine Jam
> > Peach Jam
> > Raspberry Jam
> > Strawberry Jam
> > Cherry Amaretto Jam
> > Blackberry Jelly
> > Grape Jelly
> > Mint Jelly
> > Plum Jelly
> > Raspberry Jelly
> > Peach Cherry Jelly
> > Breat & Butter Pickles
> > Peach Chutney
> > Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> > Corn Relish
> > Dill Pickle Relish
> >
> > I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't
> > win
> > much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> > doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> > Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> > The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> > but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> > Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> > Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
> >
> > IWuzJammin'!

> OMG! How long did all of this take you? Is it as hot as
> Hades there too? I am really impressed....

It has been hot as Hades; we've had two incredibly gorgeous days
yesterday and today. I tend to not remember the weather - nothing I can
do about it. . . On this list, the apricot and strawberry stuff were
done about mid-June. I start in mid-May with the rhubarb stuff,
followed by the strawberries, then raspberries, then stone fruits. Some
of the fruit is frozen and I can work with it at will. I prefer to can
in the evening or very early morning. The other day, I had a couple
batches of somethings out of the water by 7:30 a.m. Color me Nuts.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Margaret Suran

Victor Sack wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>

>>And, no, Bubba Vic, there are NO beets in the lot. It was not an
>>oversight. "-)

> No BBB? I'm sorry to report the following sad info obtained from an
> inside source: Due to the deep depression suddenly afflicting all the
> judges, there will be no blue ribbons awarded this year. All the
> ribbons will be black.
>
> Bubba Vic

I thought red ribbons, for the color of....

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:38:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
>exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

<snip>

<Clap!><Clap!><Clap!> Impressive list, girlie. Where you find the time
and energy to do all this is beyond me. Where you find the talent,
however, isn't <g>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Terry Pulliam
Burd > wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:38:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> >exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

> <snip>
>
> <Clap!><Clap!><Clap!> Impressive list, girlie. Where you find the time
> and energy to do all this is beyond me. Where you find the talent,
> however, isn't <g>
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

> To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

Aw, shucks. I blush for embarrassing. Forgot to tell you yet another
fun thing come my way: I was asked to donate a jar of my prize-winning
bread and butter pickles for a State Fair Foundation fundraising
shootin' match this Thursday evening. Rob's response was akin to: "Quit
giving my pickles away." :-0) I told him to come with me to the thing
and buy them -- or at least be a shill to drive the price up. I think
he's going to do it. It'd be pretty damned embarrassing if they didn't
fetch $5.

Time? I can make a batch of jelly in a half hour. Bread and butter
pickles take a few hours but don't require watching. Jam can be done in
about 45 minutes. I mostly like to work at night. Nobody botherin' me.
Talent? Thanks. For this Edible Twin Cities thing coming up, I was
asked how I come up with some of my combination things. Well, there are
certain fruits that go nicely together: Strawberries and bananas.
Peaches and raspberries. Peaches and oranges. Raspberries and oranges.
Mangoes and the red berries. Blueberries and red berries. If those
work, I can probably figure out how to make them spreadable and put them
in a jar. :-) I don't usually make more than one batch of stuff.
And I like to look at others' combinations in the yuppie goormet shops
for inspiration, too. How about horseradish and strawberries? OH, I'M
KIDDING!!
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Lynn from Fargo

OOOOOH Barb!
Sounds wonderful - especially the fruit butters & the relishes.
Years ago my sister in Pennsylvania took me to a food stand on an Amish
farm in her "neighborhood". It was October and I bought GOBS of home
canned stuff. Peach Butter, Pear Butter, Apple and Crabapple Butters.
Try pearbutter - it's a little grainier than peach but the flavor is
wonderful. How do you do your Corn Relish? Do you ever do Piccililli or
Cabbage Relish?
Hope you win EVERYTHING. Hope Gedney picks up your B&Bs - I'm not nuts
about any of the ones they're marketing now.
Love,
Lynn in Fargou

Chris

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> You've never had fruit butter, Miss Jeanine? I'll pray for your soul.

> But the fruit butters Ah, the fruit butters. They are my most
> favorite because they are so very versatile. The options for fruit
> butter are better than the ones the guys at Google get for working
> there.
> I have, at various times in my preserving adventures, made Apricot
> Butter, Plum Butter, Peach Butter, and Apple Butter. All but the
> apple
> butter have received blue ribbons at my State Fair. Apple butter is
> good. It's basic. Apricot Butter, beautifully bright orange, is
> worth
> its weight in gold. Peach Butter is mellow. Plum Butter wakes you up
> and makes your mouth water. I have plums on my tree and have fingers
> crossed that there will be enough for at least a small batch of
> Plum-m-m-m-m Butter.
>
> Ah, but you ask about the use of fruit butter.

Did you just write this today? What a wonderful ode to fruit butter!
If they have a category for food writing, you should enter this piece!

Good luck with all of your entries, my mouth is watering just reading
about them!

Chris

Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"Lynn from Fargo" > wrote:

> OOOOOH Barb!
> Sounds wonderful - especially the fruit butters & the relishes.
> Years ago my sister in Pennsylvania took me to a food stand on an Amish
> farm in her "neighborhood". It was October and I bought GOBS of home
> canned stuff. Peach Butter, Pear Butter, Apple and Crabapple Butters.
> Try pearbutter - it's a little grainier than peach but the flavor is
> wonderful.

A thought. I'm not fond of pears, though. Like blueberries, I think
they're mostly just sweet. I've got another box of peaches sitting in
my car, though. I suppose I should check them for ripeness. . .

How do you do your Corn Relish?

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Corn Relish

Recipe By : Barb Schaller
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Relish Jelly

10 large tender ears of corn
1 green pepper -- minced
1/2 red pepper -- minced
1 large yellow onion -- minced
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
1 1/4 teaspoons dry mustard
1 1/3 cups cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric

Cut corn kernels from cobs. Combine the corn kernels with remaining
ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and
simmer for a half hour. Pour into hot, sterilized preserving jars,
cover, and seal. Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
Yield: About 4 pints.

Can be halved and just stored in the fridge forever and a couple days.
- - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : (State Fair Blue Ribbon Winner, 1983-84, 1986-87, 1990, 1994,
2001) Recipe from Sister Mary, may she rest in peace.

_____

Do you ever do Piccililli or
> Cabbage Relish?

No.

> Hope you win EVERYTHING.

Thanks. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

> Hope Gedney picks up your B&Bs

Won't happen. They've already got one in the line. A damn shame, too,
because mine are really, really good (blue ribbons 3 of the last four
years). But Nita's a lovely woman and I don't begrudge them using her
recipe. It was all a matter of timing.

> - I'm not nuts about any of the ones they're marketing now.

Oooh, I think they do a great job! There's a new one out - Tracy
Somebody's B&B spears. They've got a bay leaf in them. VERY good!
And Ron Vickery's Spicy Something Or Other Spears are not for the faint
of heart. One of those things that's so hot and evil but you can't stop
eating it!

Are you up for making your own B&Bs? You could, with not much
difficulty at all reduce the recipe and not process it -- just store in
the fridge forever and a day or two. I've posted the recipe -- you can
look it up.
-Barb

--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Melba's Jammin'

In article <mGULe.4432$H_4.3321@trnddc07>, "Chris"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >
> > You've never had fruit butter, Miss Jeanine? I'll pray for your soul.

> > But the fruit butters Ah, the fruit butters. They are my most
> > favorite because they are so very versatile. The options for fruit
> > butter are better than the ones the guys at Google get for working
> > there. I have, at various times in my preserving adventures, made
> > Apricot Butter, Plum Butter, Peach Butter, and Apple Butter. All
> > but the apple butter have received blue ribbons at my State Fair.
> > Apple butter is good. It's basic. Apricot Butter, beautifully
> > bright orange, is worth its weight in gold. Peach Butter is
> > mellow. Plum Butter wakes you up and makes your mouth water. I
> > have plums on my tree and have fingers crossed that there will be
> > enough for at least a small batch of Plum-m-m-m-m Butter.

> > Ah, but you ask about the use of fruit butter.

> Did you just write this today?

I did. Sounds like you could maybe taste them while you were reading.
Not a bad thing. :-0)

> What a wonderful ode to fruit butter!

Thanks. :-) The Apricot Butter is wonderful. And I only make a very
small amount of it each year because. . . I don't know. Actually, I do
know: There's some work to it, that's why. Not to mention the time. I
must not charge enough for a jar -- I haven't discouraged anyone from
lining up yet!

> If they have a category for food writing, you should enter this piece!

Aw-w-w. <grin> I blush for embarrassing.

--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Dimitri

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> Apricot Butter
> Apricot Jam
> Blackberry Jam
> Cherry Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Peach Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Cherry Amaretto Jam
> Blackberry Jelly
> Grape Jelly
> Mint Jelly
> Plum Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Peach Cherry Jelly
> Breat & Butter Pickles
> Peach Chutney
> Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> Corn Relish
> Dill Pickle Relish
>
> I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
> much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
>
> IWuzJammin'!
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
> couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Whew! What a list - kick back and have a well deserved glass of wine.

Dimitri

S'mee [AKA Jani]

One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:

> Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> Apricot Butter
> Apricot Jam
> Blackberry Jam

Oh, yum! You make such wonderful blackberry jam, just like my
Mom's. Prolly why I got in the habit of calling you that.

> Cherry Jam
> Nectarine Jam
> Peach Jam
> Raspberry Jam
> Strawberry Jam
> Cherry Amaretto Jam
> Blackberry Jelly
> Grape Jelly
> Mint Jelly
> Plum Jelly
> Raspberry Jelly
> Peach Cherry Jelly
> Breat & Butter Pickles
> Peach Chutney
> Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
> Corn Relish
> Dill Pickle Relish

Wow, what a list! It seems bigger than last year.

> I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
> much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
>
> IWuzJammin'!

Best of luck (not that you need it), let us know how it goes... :-)

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, VidGamer, novice cook, dieter ~
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
(S'mee [AKA Jani]) wrote:

> One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin' > said:

> > Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> > exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
> > Blackberry Jam

> Oh, yum! You make such wonderful blackberry jam, just like my
> Mom's. Prolly why I got in the habit of calling you that.

I consider it an honor to be mistaken for your mom, Jani. I noticed
that blackberries were $5 a pint at the Mps farmers market on Saturday
morning. Uffda. That would be at least $20 worth of berries for one
batch.

> > Cherry Amaretto Jam

> > Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

> > Dill Pickle Relish

> Wow, what a list! It seems bigger than last year.

Nope. Same number, a few differences.

> > I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly
> > won't win much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it
> > should be but, doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as
> > always, is a crapshoot. Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty
> > fine! The B&B's are killer! The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous.
> > The Nectarine Jam is very tasty but looser than I'd like. The
> > Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The Apricot Butter is awesome.
> > The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The Chutney is yummy. I've
> > never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?

> > IWuzJammin'!

> Best of luck (not that you need it), let us know how it goes... :-)

Does the Pope pray? :-) I spent probably an hour with the intake
ladies -- got into a discussion about some of the lots (let's just say
that the entry info is unclear at best and confusing mostly -- I'd like
a shot at editing it!) One guy came in proudly bearing his two jars of
something that looked like a soft spread. Wrong size jar. Thank you
for playing, there are no parting gifts. He'll find out soon enough.
The devil is in the details.

I delivered a jar of my B&Bs to be auctioned off at a fundraising thang
on Thursday night for the State Fair Foundation. visited a friend on
the way home and picked up some wonderful sweet corn closer to home.
Cleaned it, then forgot to cook it for supper!! Got caught up in tacos
-- but cooked the corn after supper. Some dessert. Is there anyone
else besides me who likes it *without* butter -- just nekkid?
Blahblahblahblahblah
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Dimitri"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> > exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

(snip dazzling list)

> > I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
> > much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
> > doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
> > Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
> > The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
> > but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
> > Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
> > Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?
> >
> > IWuzJammin'!
> > --
> > -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
> > couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

> Whew! What a list - kick back and have a well deserved glass of wine.
>
> Dimitri

I'd have to chill one of my bottles of Slovakian Riesling -- and the
last time I did that. . . .
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> > exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

> (snipped list)
> > IWuzJammin'!

> You have been busy! Best of luck with all your entries!
>
> Jill

Thanks, Jillsie. I have another box of peaches in my future, too.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, "Dimitri"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
>>>exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

> (snip dazzling list)
>
>>>I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
>>>much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
>>>doggone it, it tastes terrific!

You should have labeled it "Natural Mint Jelly" to emphasize that it
didn't have any food coloring added.

Since they don't open the jars of pickles here in O. county, I always
put a descriptive word like "Crisp" or "Crunchy" on my pickle labels
than I enter in the fair. ;-)

Best regards,
Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, "Dimitri"
> > > wrote:

> > (snip dazzling list)

> You should have labeled it "Natural Mint Jelly" to emphasize that it
> didn't have any food coloring added.

Dang! I shoulda thought of that. . . .

> Since they don't open the jars of pickles here in O. county, I always
> put a descriptive word like "Crisp" or "Crunchy" on my pickle labels
> than I enter in the fair. ;-)
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Heh! You're nobody's fool, Bob! The chutney bears "Chunky Peach
Apricot Chutney" and the bbq sauce says Cherry Chipotle on it. I think
one of the intake ladies was one of the judges and I asked (or is it
aksed?) her about why it looks like it does. She speculated that it may
have been overcooked. Ever make it? Ever have stuff in it? How's that
for a clear description of the problem. :-/ Looks like wispy
something. I'm interested in any remarks that might be on the
scoresheet. An Educational Experience, mebbe.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>(snip dazzling list)

>>You should have labeled it "Natural Mint Jelly" to emphasize that it
>>didn't have any food coloring added.

> Dang! I shoulda thought of that. . . .
>

>>Since they don't open the jars of pickles here in O. county, I always
>>put a descriptive word like "Crisp" or "Crunchy" on my pickle labels
>>than I enter in the fair. ;-)
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> Heh! You're nobody's fool, Bob! The chutney bears "Chunky Peach
> Apricot Chutney" and the bbq sauce says Cherry Chipotle on it. I think
> one of the intake ladies was one of the judges and I asked (or is it
> aksed?) her about why it looks like it does.

I think it's "axed". ;-)

Bob

Jean B.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> It has been hot as Hades; we've had two incredibly gorgeous days
> yesterday and today. I tend to not remember the weather - nothing I can
> do about it. . . On this list, the apricot and strawberry stuff were
> done about mid-June. I start in mid-May with the rhubarb stuff,
> followed by the strawberries, then raspberries, then stone fruits. Some
> of the fruit is frozen and I can work with it at will. I prefer to can
> in the evening or very early morning. The other day, I had a couple
> batches of somethings out of the water by 7:30 a.m. Color me Nuts.

Well, I'm glad to hear you were not doing this all in the
height of the heat. That would be just awful. I'm with you:
I like to do most things either in the early morning or in
the evening during the summer.

--
Jean B.
Jean B.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> A thought. I'm not fond of pears, though. Like blueberries, I think
> they're mostly just sweet. I've got another box of peaches sitting in
> my car, though. I suppose I should check them for ripeness. . .
>
> How do you do your Corn Relish?

Pears + ginger (crystallized or ???);
Pears and red wine and spices...

And I always through some cranberries in with blueberries to
spark them up a bit.... Plus lemon juice and zest. Plus
spices....

But then you have done quite enough without tackling pears or
blueberries.

--
Jean B.
Cindy Fuller

So Barb, when do you find out how you did? With luck, the
old-lady-home-economics teachers who stiffed you last year won't be
judging this year.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Melba's Jammin'

In article
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> So Barb, when do you find out how you did? With luck, the
> old-lady-home-economics teachers who stiffed you last year won't be
> judging this year.
>
> Cindy

Au contraire -- I was not stiffed last year -- I knocked 'em dead and
came away with 8 'special' awards above and beyond the regular Fair
prizes. Tres cool. I luvved the retired home ecs. Nice women. I've
figured out who a couple of the judges are, generally speaking, but I
don't know how they operate or who judges what. Part of the mystery.
"-) The Great Minnesota Get-Together opens on Thursday, August 25.
I'll find out that morning. Right now, IBePooped. Just finished a
batch of Ginger Peachy Jam and somewhere during the day it got blinkin'
hot! Jeez. Don't call the vice squad - I don't have many threads on!
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)
Gregory Morrow

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> It has been hot as Hades; we've had two incredibly gorgeous days
> yesterday and today. I tend to not remember the weather - nothing I can
> do about it. . . On this list, the apricot and strawberry stuff were
> done about mid-June. I start in mid-May with the rhubarb stuff,
> followed by the strawberries, then raspberries, then stone fruits. Some
> of the fruit is frozen and I can work with it at will. I prefer to can
> in the evening or very early morning. The other day, I had a couple
> batches of somethings out of the water by 7:30 a.m. Color me Nuts.

OTOH there is something to be said for canning when it's stinkin'
hot...when I used to can a lot I'd pick the hottest day. After awhiles
you enter a kind of zen - like state, you don't even notice the heat -
especially when accompanied by a case of ice - cold beer. After that
you are free to collapse into a comfy bed in an ice - cold bedroom and
recover...

[Where I grew up a lot of folx had a "canning kitchen" in their
basement, it mitigated the discomfort of canning on those torpid summer
daze...in the years that I've been to the city I've only seen one such
canning kitchen. A friend bought a house from an elderly Japanese
couple which had one. And it was used up until they moved out,
too...the lady left behind 20 cases of Ball jars!]

Lotsa luck too on your preserving endeavours...

--
Best
Greg