Old 14-08-2005, 04:38 AM
Melba's Jammin'

Default It Is Finished!

Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
Apricot Butter
Apricot Jam
Blackberry Jam
Cherry Jam
Nectarine Jam
Peach Jam
Raspberry Jam
Strawberry Jam
Cherry Amaretto Jam
Blackberry Jelly
Grape Jelly
Mint Jelly
Plum Jelly
Raspberry Jelly
Peach Cherry Jelly
Breat & Butter Pickles
Peach Chutney
Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
Corn Relish
Dill Pickle Relish

I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?

IWuzJammin'!
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)

Old 14-08-2005, 05:52 AM
Sheldon

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

I just know your Breast & Butter Pickles will be a big winner.

Sheldon (num num)

Old 14-08-2005, 06:07 AM
sf

Hope these weren't made at the last minute. I'm tired just reading
the list.

Best of luck to you!
````````````````````````````

Old 14-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Damsel

How do you DO it? The Cherry Amaretto sounds to-die-for.

I'm bummed ... your cherry jam still isn't available here. I'll look for
some next time we're in the Cities (which isn't very often ... I really
like living in a smaller town).

Best wishes for lots of purples and blues!

Carol

Old 14-08-2005, 10:28 AM
jmcquown

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

(snipped list)

I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't
win much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful!
The Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful.
The Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I
know?

IWuzJammin'!

You have been busy! Best of luck with all your entries!

Jill

Old 14-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
Apricot Butter
Apricot Jam
Blackberry Jam
Cherry Jam
Nectarine Jam
Peach Jam
Raspberry Jam
Strawberry Jam
Cherry Amaretto Jam
Blackberry Jelly
Grape Jelly
Mint Jelly
Plum Jelly
Raspberry Jelly
Peach Cherry Jelly
Bread & Butter Pickles
Peach Chutney
Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
Corn Relish
Dill Pickle Relish

I feel elated that I've got those figured out. The Mint Jelly won't win
much, if anything, because it's not as pretty as it should be but,
doggone it, it tastes terrific! The rest, as always, is a crapshoot.
Who knows! The barbecue sauce is mighty fine! The B&B's are killer!
The Cherry Amaretto Jam is fabulous. The Nectarine Jam is very tasty
but looser than I'd like. The Cherry Jam and Jelly are wonderful! The
Apricot Butter is awesome. The Plum Jelly is quite beautiful. The
Chutney is yummy. I've never made Pickle Relish, so what do I know?

IWuzJammin'!

As so many times before, I stand in awe of your "jammin'". Good Luck
with all your entries. It seems that you are entering more than ever,
or am I wrong?

I hope that you will take a good rest today, or are you planning to do
some baking, too?

Old 14-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Stan Horwitz

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
Apricot Butter
Apricot Jam
Blackberry Jam
Cherry Jam
Nectarine Jam
Peach Jam
Raspberry Jam
Strawberry Jam
Cherry Amaretto Jam
Blackberry Jelly
Grape Jelly
Mint Jelly
Plum Jelly
Raspberry Jelly
Peach Cherry Jelly
Breat & Butter Pickles
Peach Chutney
Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
Corn Relish
Dill Pickle Relish

What, and no homemade bread for the jams? Just kidding.
I would wish you luck, but you don't need it. You're
guaranteed to win at least one award!
Old 14-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , Margaret Suran
wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

You're wrong. :-) Several years ago they put a cap on the number of
entries we can make. Twenty canning entries and 25 baking entries. My
recollection is that one year, I had 43 entries in canning and baking.
My sanity has partially returned since then. In those days, there were
bakers and preservers who entered *every* lot.

And you thought I was crazy.

I hope that you will take a good rest today, or are you planning to do
some baking, too?

Baking will be between today and next Sunday morning at 0-dark-hundred.

Old 14-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com,
"Sheldon" wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

They're *very special*, indeed. They've won first place three of the
last four years; if they should happen to win again this year, I can't
enter them for two years.
Old 14-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Melba's Jammin'

sfpipeline_at_gmail.com wrote:

Hope these weren't made at the last minute. I'm tired just reading
the list.

Best of luck to you!
````````````````````````````

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:38:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

(snip )
IWuzJammin'!

Thanks. No. The dance starts in mid-May but the beat gets faster in
mid-July. Pretty much finished now, but for some apple butter in a
month or so. If enough people sign up, I'll teach a class in apple
butter in mid-October through my community ed department.

Old 14-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , Stan Horwitz

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

What, and no homemade bread for the jams?

Honey, those are just the canning entries. The baked goods will be
delivered next Sunday morning. Including the homemade bread. "-)

Just kidding. I would wish you luck, but you don't need it. You're
guaranteed to win at least one award!

Hope springs eternal. :-0)
Old 14-08-2005, 05:54 PM
JeanineAlyse

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

Girlfriend, I think you've just posted my order for this year...a dozen
of each! As I've never tried any fruit butter before, are these
intended as a replacement for want of plain butter along with a jam on
biscuits or toast, or are there other uses for them? Today I will be
using the last bit of your Cherry Chipotle in and over stuffed chicken
breasts, and it's wonderful for basting the too dry pork slices I'd all
but given up on. Your B&B Pickles will be a for-sure, and though I'd
never considered a Dill Pickle Relish, it sounds like a great tasty!

....Picky

Old 14-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Boron Elgar

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 22:38:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:

IWuzJammin'!

As usual, Madame, you are to be complimented (and I guess
complemented, too, based on your list!), and Hosannas offered for all
your efforts.

Best of luck to you, though with your talents, it will be your hard
work that pays off.

Boron
Old 14-08-2005, 07:27 PM
Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:
Apricot Butter
Apricot Jam
Blackberry Jam
Cherry Jam
Nectarine Jam
Peach Jam
Raspberry Jam
Strawberry Jam
Cherry Amaretto Jam
Blackberry Jelly
Grape Jelly
Mint Jelly
Plum Jelly
Raspberry Jelly
Peach Cherry Jelly
Breat & Butter Pickles
Peach Chutney
Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
Corn Relish
Dill Pickle Relish

Omigod!
Can you say overachiever?
Does any one else stand a chance?
No bread this year, or does that come later?

Sending lots of blue ribbon vibes your wayl.

gloria p
Old 14-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com,
"JeanineAlyse" wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

(list of canning entries snipped)
[...]

Well, Rob gets testy when I liberate jars of his B&B pickles from the
larder. Looks like I may have to do another batch.

Uh-oh. . . . then let me say this about that. . . .

You've never had fruit butter, Miss Jeanine? I'll pray for your soul.
You know that I almost never eat the stuff I make, right? Not because
it's not wonderful (most of it is), but simply because I don't think to
do it. Rob eats toast with peanut butter and jam nearly every morning.
I don't think to make toast for myself and when I do, I prefer it plain,
with butter. Unless lightning strikes and I think to put something else
on top of it.

But the fruit butters Ah, the fruit butters. They are my most
favorite because they are so very versatile. The options for fruit
butter are better than the ones the guys at Google get for working there.
I have, at various times in my preserving adventures, made Apricot
Butter, Plum Butter, Peach Butter, and Apple Butter. All but the apple
butter have received blue ribbons at my State Fair. Apple butter is
good. It's basic. Apricot Butter, beautifully bright orange, is worth
its weight in gold. Peach Butter is mellow. Plum Butter wakes you up
and makes your mouth water. I have plums on my tree and have fingers
crossed that there will be enough for at least a small batch of
Plum-m-m-m-m Butter.

Ah, but you ask about the use of fruit butter. Apricot Butter, spread
on a lightly buttered and nicely toasted English muffin half, will make
you weep. Diluted with some vinegar, it makes a nice dip for deep fried
chicken bits or chicken wings. Tears of ecstasy will overflow your eyes
if you've swirled some into this cream cheese coffeecake filling before
baking. Lunchtime yogurt is improved with some fruit butter swirled
into it. A dollop of fruit butter on the side of the plate is a
terrific accompaniment to rich meats or grilled chicken. Oh, excuse me,
I'm having a hard time, uh, breathing, at the very thought of it.
And let me tell you that the very best fruit butters do not have pectin
added to them. The ingredient list should be fruit pulp, sugar, and
maybe some spices. I spice only my Plum Butter, Apple Butter, and Peach
Butter. I've never been one to gild a lily, so I do not adulterate the
bright and tangy flavor of the Apricot Butter. Is your mouth watering
yet? :-)

There is a series of publications to be found in different parts of the
country:
http://ediblecommunities.com/ (home base for them)
http://ediblecommunities.com/pages/membernews.htm (communities that
have publications)
http://www.edibletwincities.net/ (the local publication which will
feature me in its Fall issue with an emphasis on making and preserving
fruit butter; some r.f.c. folks met the chap who's written the article,
John Driemen, a school classmate, at Margaret's Suran's r.f.c. brunch
last fall.) John says the article is good and I can't wait to see what
he made of our visit together a few weeks ago.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

Read it through before starting. Then read it again.

Recipe By : posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 8/14/2005
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Coffee Cakes, Treats, etc.

Crust:
1/4 cup scalded milk
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 egg
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
Filling:
1 pkg. cream cheese -- (8 oz.) softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Topping:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour

Combine the milk, sugar, salt, and butter. Dissolve the yeast in the
warm water. Cool the yeast mixture and add to milk mixture. Add the
egg and flour to the yeast mixture (dough will be soft and sticky).
Place in a greased bowl and let rise until double -- about 30-45 minutes.

Roll or pat dough into a circle and place in a greased 16² pizza pan.
With greased fingers, shape as a pizza crust.

Make filling by creaming the cheese and sugar together and adding the
egg and vanilla. Pour filling evenly over crust.

For topping, cut margarine (butter) into sugar and flour with pastry
blender until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of filling. Let raise for 30
minutes.

Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes, until brown. Drizzle with powdered
sugar icing. (Note that I've never done the drizzle, though it might
pretty it up a bit.) Cut into wedges. Serves 12-16.

NOTES: Thatıs the recipe as I got it from the newspaper, Taste Section,
Minneapolis Star and Tribune sometime in the late 1970s. When I entered
the coffee cake in the 1985 State Fair, I did a few things differently.

Make 6 at a time! They freeze beautifully! (There's a great story
about THAT!) Make twice the dough and topping recipes, and three times
the filling recipe. Divide among 6 cheap 8" foil cake pans (round) from
the grocery store.

Everything can be mixed in the food processor -- and I do. Bear in mind
that the dough is soft and sticky -- I usually wind up adding more
flour. How much? Dunno. If making only this amount, I'd mix it in a
2-quart pyrex measuring cup. If done in the food processor, I do it in
this order: make crumbly topping first; mix dough, then mix filling
ingredients.

I have added grated orange peel to the filling. In 1986, I added a
homemade apricot filling made from dried apricots, on top of the cream
cheese filling. I always use butter for topping and crust. Hot tip:
Add 1/8 tsp. ascorbic acid (Fruit Fresh) to water for yeast. Double
amount for larger recipe. Sweet doughs like this treatment.

Have never used the powdered sugar icing top.
NOTES : 1st Place, Minnesota State Fair 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990! Second
Place, 1987; not entered 1988. Bomb, 1991. Featured in Ann
Burckhardt's 2003 book, A Cook's Tour of Minnesota (available through
Amazon, if not locally, this is a GREAT read!! Even if you're not a
Minnesotan).
_____

And, no, Bubba Vic, there are NO beets in the lot. It was not an
oversight. "-)