Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default When is it finished?

How do you tell at what point is the initial fermentation completed and it's
time for you to rack the wine into the carboy?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

All wine should be racked in the 1.020 range so that enough CO2 is produced
to protect the aging wine.
"Tom Kunich" > wrote in message
> How do you tell at what point is the initial fermentation completed and
> it's time for you to rack the wine into the carboy?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

It is finished fermenting when the sg is below 1.000, perhaps .995 or
..992, for 2-3 consecutive days.

"When should it be moved from primary to carboy" is a different
question. Some people like to ferment to dry in the primary, others
prefer to move to carboy at 1.020 or 1.010, or 1.000. Personally I
prefer to move from primary to carboy when the wine is below 1.005,
but sometimes that means .992 since I don't check every day.

Steve

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 08:12:57 -0800, "Tom Kunich"
> wrote:

>How do you tell at what point is the initial fermentation completed and it's
>time for you to rack the wine into the carboy?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >,
Steve > wrote:

> It is finished fermenting when the sg is below 1.000, perhaps .995 or
> .992, for 2-3 consecutive days.
>
> "When should it be moved from primary to carboy" is a different
> question. Some people like to ferment to dry in the primary, others
> prefer to move to carboy at 1.020 or 1.010, or 1.000. Personally I
> prefer to move from primary to carboy when the wine is below 1.005,
> but sometimes that means .992 since I don't check every day.
>
> Steve
>
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 08:12:57 -0800, "Tom Kunich"
> > wrote:
>
> >How do you tell at what point is the initial fermentation completed and it's
> >time for you to rack the wine into the carboy?

Because of the alcohol, the density will drop below zero into negative
numbers.
--
- Billy
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

http://peace.mennolink.org/articles/...acegroups.html
http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...130964689.html

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >, Billy > wrote:

>Because of the alcohol, the density will drop below zero into negative
>numbers.

It will do no such thing. It will drop below *one* into decimal fractions,
such as 0.992. A negative density is impossible.