Puester

Default Tomato Wine

This recipe was given to me as a newlywed, over 35+ years ago.
I have made it twice, exactly as written, and found that it is
much better as it ages a year or two. It tastes like cream sherry.

If you have an improvement on the recipe, terrific, but don't
ask me if it will work--I have no idea!

Delana's Tomato Wine

6 lb. sugar
6 lb. ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 lb. raisins
6 oranges, cut up, including skins
1 gallon boiling water
------
1 pkg. yeast

Mix first five ingredients together in a clean crock or
food-safe plastic bucket. Let cool to lukewarm; add yeast
and stir well. Cover.

Stir daily for 15-20 days or until fermentation stops.
Strain and bottle. Needs no processing when bottled.
If I recall correctly, it makes ~ 1 1/2 gallons.
~patches~

Puester wrote:

> This recipe was given to me as a newlywed, over 35+ years ago.
> I have made it twice, exactly as written, and found that it is
> much better as it ages a year or two. It tastes like cream sherry.
>
> If you have an improvement on the recipe, terrific, but don't
> ask me if it will work--I have no idea!
>

> Delana's Tomato Wine
>
> 6 lb. sugar
> 6 lb. ripe tomatoes, chopped
> 1 lb. raisins
> 6 oranges, cut up, including skins
> 1 gallon boiling water
> ------
> 1 pkg. yeast
>
> Mix first five ingredients together in a clean crock or
> food-safe plastic bucket. Let cool to lukewarm; add yeast
> and stir well. Cover.
>
> Stir daily for 15-20 days or until fermentation stops.
> Strain and bottle. Needs no processing when bottled.
> If I recall correctly, it makes ~ 1 1/2 gallons.

I'm certainly going to give this a try. Thanks!
Scott

In article
Puester > wrote:

> This recipe was given to me as a newlywed, over 35+ years ago.
> I have made it twice, exactly as written, and found that it is
> much better as it ages a year or two. It tastes like cream sherry.
>
> If you have an improvement on the recipe, terrific, but don't
> ask me if it will work--I have no idea!

Now THAT sounds interesting.
Generally speaking, how long do you let it sit before drinking? THe full
year or two? Do you use baker's yeast, or actual wine yeast?

I have a 2.5 gallon carboy that would be perfect.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Puester

Scott wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Puester > wrote:
>

>>This recipe was given to me as a newlywed, over 35+ years ago.
>>I have made it twice, exactly as written, and found that it is
>>much better as it ages a year or two. It tastes like cream sherry.
>>
>>If you have an improvement on the recipe, terrific, but don't
>>ask me if it will work--I have no idea!

> Now THAT sounds interesting.
> Generally speaking, how long do you let it sit before drinking? THe full
> year or two? Do you use baker's yeast, or actual wine yeast?
>
> I have a 2.5 gallon carboy that would be perfect.

The original recipe called for baker's yeast. (Remember this was nearly
40 years ago and home winemaking wasn't popular yet.)

You can taste it as soon as it's filtered and keep tasting till
it's good! (There are no Tomato Wine police, honest.)

gloria p
Scott

In article >,
Puester > wrote:

> The original recipe called for baker's yeast. (Remember this was nearly
> 40 years ago and home winemaking wasn't popular yet.)

I thought as much, but I wasn't sure if it had been adapted as
ingredients became available.

> You can taste it as soon as it's filtered and keep tasting till
> it's good! (There are no Tomato Wine police, honest.)

Or, sure. But I used to homebrew all sorts of different things, and
there were some recipes that were utterly unpalatable right when
fermenting finished (i.e., certain meads), then, a year later, tasted
wonderful. I've lost my patience with waiting for such things, though.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

George Shirley

Scott wrote:
> In article >,
> Puester > wrote:
>

>>The original recipe called for baker's yeast. (Remember this was nearly
>>40 years ago and home winemaking wasn't popular yet.)

> I thought as much, but I wasn't sure if it had been adapted as
> ingredients became available.
>

>>You can taste it as soon as it's filtered and keep tasting till
>>it's good! (There are no Tomato Wine police, honest.)

> Or, sure. But I used to homebrew all sorts of different things, and
> there were some recipes that were utterly unpalatable right when
> fermenting finished (i.e., certain meads), then, a year later, tasted
> wonderful. I've lost my patience with waiting for such things, though.

I made some elderberry wine many years ago that took two years to settle
out the sediment. didn't have a way to filter wines back then so had to
wait. After it settled it wasn't too bad, a little dry for my taste but
the wife liked it. Luckily I only made a couple of gallons. Never tried
to make tomato wine though.

George

Puester

George Shirley wrote:

> I made some elderberry wine many years ago that took two years to settle
> out the sediment. didn't have a way to filter wines back then so had to
> wait. After it settled it wasn't too bad, a little dry for my taste but
> the wife liked it. Luckily I only made a couple of gallons. Never tried
> to make tomato wine though.
>
> George

When my husband's grandfather died in FLorida one of the things
my mother-in-law salvaged from his house was a gallon of homemade
grapefruit wine. I had a small sample and it was the best thing I
ever tasted, like liquid sunshine. Unfortunately she decided
that no one liked it and dumped it down the drain! Sigh.

gloria p

Tomato Wine gloria p Preserving 1 27-08-2016 11:14 PM
Tomato Wine gloria p Preserving 1 31-08-2012 01:41 AM
Tomato wine Jamesd@ Winemaking 2 26-09-2010 08:33 PM
Tomato Wine again Puester General Cooking 0 09-08-2005 03:29 AM
Tomato wine question hammerstein Winemaking 10 01-11-2003 03:08 PM