Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Tomato wine

I started tomato wine and have question , started at 1.085 with
hydrometer as per recipe it has to let ferment 5 to 6 day or at 1.030
then rack, it seems like it quit fermenting it has been about 8 days
my hydrometer reading is about 990 not sure what to do.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Jamesd@" > wrote in message
>I started tomato wine and have question , started at 1.085 with
> hydrometer as per recipe it has to let ferment 5 to 6 day or at 1.030
> then rack, it seems like it quit fermenting it has been about 8 days
> my hydrometer reading is about 990 not sure what to do.
>
> Thanks

Rack it & let it clear. .990 is quite dry, it's unlikely to go any lower.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
gA gA is offline

On 9/17/2010 8:33 AM, Jamesd@ wrote:
> I started tomato wine and have question , started at 1.085 with
> hydrometer as per recipe it has to let ferment 5 to 6 day or at 1.030
> then rack, it seems like it quit fermenting it has been about 8 days
> my hydrometer reading is about 990 not sure what to do.
>
> Thanks

I don't know why my address is on the Group, since I did not write
to anyone and don't know which recipe you are talking about.
However, I can help with your questions since I am a winemaker, too.

Your wine is finished fermenting. This is what I would do, but I
would encourage you to follow the recipe because I have never made
Tomato Wine:
- wait until the wine settles and starts clearing (should be no
longer than 3 weeks), then rack it off the gross lees;
- at this point I would add sulfite and move it to a cooler place
(in the 15-18C range) and let it sit another 8-10 weeks;
- rack it again, sulfite if necessary (don't over sulfite), and let
it sit another 3-4 months. Then, taste it and make whatever
adjustments necessary. If you add anything, rest it 2 weeks before
bottling.

Make sure that, throughout the whole ageing/clearing process there
is NO airspace in your containers.

Best of luck.
- gA

Tomato Wine gloria p Preserving 1 27-08-2016 11:14 PM
Tomato Wine gloria p Preserving 1 31-08-2012 01:41 AM
Tomato Wine Puester Preserving 6 12-08-2005 02:02 AM
Tomato Wine again Puester General Cooking 0 09-08-2005 03:29 AM
Tomato wine question hammerstein Winemaking 10 01-11-2003 03:08 PM