Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Tomato Wine

This recipe was given to me as a newlywed, nearly 50 years ago.
I have made it twice, exactly as written, and found that it is
much better as it ages a year or two. It tastes like cream sherry.
If you have an improvement on the recipe, terrific, but don't
ask me if it will work--I have no idea!

Delana's Tomato Wine

6 lb. sugar
6 lb. ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 lb. raisins
6 oranges, cut up, including skins
1 gallon boiling water
------
1 pkg. yeast

Mix first five ingredients together in a clean crock or
food-safe plastic bucket. Let cool to cool lukewarm;
add yeast and stir well. Cover.

Stir daily for 15-20 days or until fermentation stops.
Strain and bottle. Needs no processing when bottled.
If I recall correctly, it makes ~ 1 1/2 gallons.

gloria p

Puester, Aug 8, 2005
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/27/2016 4:49 PM, gloria p wrote:

> This recipe was given to me as a newlywed, nearly 50 years ago.
> I have made it twice, exactly as written, and found that it is
> much better as it ages a year or two. It tastes like cream sherry.
> If you have an improvement on the recipe, terrific, but don't
> ask me if it will work--I have no idea!
>

> Delana's Tomato Wine
>
> 6 lb. sugar
> 6 lb. ripe tomatoes, chopped
> 1 lb. raisins
> 6 oranges, cut up, including skins
> 1 gallon boiling water
> ------
> 1 pkg. yeast
>
> Mix first five ingredients together in a clean crock or
> food-safe plastic bucket. Let cool to cool lukewarm;
> add yeast and stir well. Cover.
>
> Stir daily for 15-20 days or until fermentation stops.
> Strain and bottle. Needs no processing when bottled.
> If I recall correctly, it makes ~ 1 1/2 gallons.
>
> gloria p

> Puester, Aug 8, 2005

Well, I saved the recipe but don't expect me to drink the tomato wine.
Miz Anne will drink anything with alcohol in it and I used to make
gallons of various wines. She might want to try this one too.

My home made recipe book gets bigger every day.

George

Tomato Wine gloria p Preserving 1 31-08-2012 01:41 AM
Tomato wine Jamesd@ Winemaking 2 26-09-2010 08:33 PM
Tomato Wine Puester Preserving 6 12-08-2005 02:02 AM
Tomato Wine again Puester General Cooking 0 09-08-2005 03:29 AM
Tomato wine question hammerstein Winemaking 10 01-11-2003 04:08 PM