Anny Middon

Default Cauliflower

I'd like to can some vegetable soup, using only low-cal, low-carb veggies.
Low-carbers I know often mash cauliflower as a substitute for mashed
potatoes, so I had the idea of putting some cubed cauliflower in with the
tomatoes, celery, green beans, zucchini, etc. in the soup.

But then it occurred to me that cauliflower is a vegetable that never gets
canned. What would happen if I put it in my soup? Would I end up with
vegetable soup with caulifower sludge in it?

I'd pressure can it at longest time needed for the various vegetables.

Anny

George Shirley

Anny Middon wrote:
> I'd like to can some vegetable soup, using only low-cal, low-carb veggies.
> Low-carbers I know often mash cauliflower as a substitute for mashed
> potatoes, so I had the idea of putting some cubed cauliflower in with the
> tomatoes, celery, green beans, zucchini, etc. in the soup.

Yucch! Cauliflower is terrible stuff to me.

> But then it occurred to me that cauliflower is a vegetable that never gets
> canned. What would happen if I put it in my soup? Would I end up with
> vegetable soup with caulifower sludge in it?

Yes! Wife likes it and makes cream of cauliflower soup so it doesn't
matter that it cooks to pieces. Her favorite is lightly steamed
cauliflower with butter and rosemary on it.

> I'd pressure can it at longest time needed for the various vegetables.
>
> Anny

I don't can soups, I freeze them as stock and then add the veggies at
soup time, so can't answer that one.

George

Anny Middon

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. ..
> Anny Middon wrote:
>> I'd like to can some vegetable soup, using only low-cal, low-carb
>> veggies. Low-carbers I know often mash cauliflower as a substitute for
>> mashed potatoes, so I had the idea of putting some cubed cauliflower in
>> with the tomatoes, celery, green beans, zucchini, etc. in the soup.

> Yucch! Cauliflower is terrible stuff to me.

I like it okay with other veggies, or at least I don't dislike it. It's
good raw with dip. Well, the dip is good and overcomes the cauliflower
taste, leaving just a nice crunch.

>> But then it occurred to me that cauliflower is a vegetable that never
>> gets canned. What would happen if I put it in my soup? Would I end up
>> with vegetable soup with caulifower sludge in it?

> Yes! Wife likes it and makes cream of cauliflower soup so it doesn't
> matter that it cooks to pieces. Her favorite is lightly steamed
> cauliflower with butter and rosemary on it.

I have a recipe for a "creamy" broccoli soup that you can. No dairy in it
at all, but it has rice and broccoli. I figure they both cook to a puree.
Anyway, since it can be made fat-free, I intend to try it this year.

>> I'd pressure can it at longest time needed for the various vegetables.
>>
>> Anny
>>

> I don't can soups, I freeze them as stock and then add the veggies at soup
> time, so can't answer that one.

I eat a lot of soup -- lunch most days except the dog days. I don't have
that much freezer space.

Anyway, thanks loads, George.

Anny

Dwayne

Once I harvested my cauliflower and had an excess, so I canned some. The
taste is still good, but the texture is that of mashed potatoes. Just
adding a few to soup or something else should be fine, but to can them as a
single item did not turn out as well as I had hoped.

Dwayne

"Anny Middon" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'd like to can some vegetable soup, using only low-cal, low-carb veggies.
> Low-carbers I know often mash cauliflower as a substitute for mashed
> potatoes, so I had the idea of putting some cubed cauliflower in with the
> tomatoes, celery, green beans, zucchini, etc. in the soup.
>
> But then it occurred to me that cauliflower is a vegetable that never gets
> canned. What would happen if I put it in my soup? Would I end up with
> vegetable soup with caulifower sludge in it?
>
> I'd pressure can it at longest time needed for the various vegetables.
>
> Anny

The Joneses

When you pickle cauliflower and BWB it, it seems to keep its shape and most of
its texture just fine. But I wouldn't add pickled stuff to soup! And I have used
Splenda in no-sugar versions just fine. Just decrease the salt a little.
Edrena

Dwayne wrote:

> Once I harvested my cauliflower and had an excess, so I canned some. The
> taste is still good, but the texture is that of mashed potatoes. Just
> adding a few to soup or something else should be fine, but to can them as a
> single item did not turn out as well as I had hoped.
> Dwayne
>
> "Anny Middon" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > I'd like to can some vegetable soup, using only low-cal, low-carb veggies.
> > Low-carbers I know often mash cauliflower as a substitute for mashed
> > potatoes, so I had the idea of putting some cubed cauliflower in with the
> > tomatoes, celery, green beans, zucchini, etc. in the soup.
> >> But then it occurred to me that cauliflower is a vegetable that never gets

> > canned. What would happen if I put it in my soup? Would I end up with
> > vegetable soup with caulifower sludge in it?
> > I'd pressure can it at longest time needed for the various vegetables.
> >> Anny

Brian Mailman

The Joneses wrote:

> When you pickle cauliflower and BWB it, it seems to keep its shape and most of
> its texture just fine. But I wouldn't add pickled stuff to soup!

Gazpacho....

B/
Anny Middon

"Dwayne" > wrote in message
> Once I harvested my cauliflower and had an excess, so I canned some. The
> taste is still good, but the texture is that of mashed potatoes. Just
> adding a few to soup or something else should be fine, but to can them as
> a single item did not turn out as well as I had hoped.
>
> Dwayne

Thanks, Dwayne. When the farmers' market starts getting a lot of good
veggies, I'll make some soup with and without cauliflower and report back.
If the cauliflower gets mushy maybe I'll end up with a fat-free "cream of"
vegetable soup, which could be very nice.

Optimistically,
Anny

Anny Middon

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> When you pickle cauliflower and BWB it, it seems to keep its shape and
> most of
> its texture just fine. But I wouldn't add pickled stuff to soup! And I
> have used
> Splenda in no-sugar versions just fine. Just decrease the salt a little.
> Edrena

Thanks, Edrena. I admit I'm not that fond of pickles -- I put up a few jars
of pickled veggie mix last year and haven't eaten all of one yet. (OTOH, I
just opened the last jar of Red Onions in Wine Vinegar, which are delish on
sandwiches -- a turkey burger with dijon mustard and pickled onions rocks!)

Having said that, I want to do some pickles for my county fair. I'm
thinking pickled watermelon rind.

Anny