Dwayne

Default Canning pinto beans

Hi. I requested instructions/recipes on canning pinto beans, I got some

Here is my problem. I let them soak in water for 15 hours on the first
batch and 18 hours on the second. I left 1 inch of head space, and thought
I turned the heat down as instructed in the instructions that came with the
pressure canner. When I took out the completed jars, a lot of the juice had
boiled out and was continuing to do so after taking them out of the water.
For this reason two didn't seal.

What caused them to boil over? Did I not tighten the lids tight enough, did
I over fill the jars or what?
I am in the process now, of re-canning the jars that wouldn't seal and a few
pint jars that I filled up with soaked beans that were left over from
yesterday. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Dwayne

zxcvbob

Dwayne wrote:
> Hi. I requested instructions/recipes on canning pinto beans, I got some
>
> Here is my problem. I let them soak in water for 15 hours on the first
> batch and 18 hours on the second. I left 1 inch of head space, and thought
> I turned the heat down as instructed in the instructions that came with the
> pressure canner. When I took out the completed jars, a lot of the juice had
> boiled out and was continuing to do so after taking them out of the water.
> For this reason two didn't seal.
>
> What caused them to boil over? Did I not tighten the lids tight enough, did
> I over fill the jars or what?
> I am in the process now, of re-canning the jars that wouldn't seal and a few
> pint jars that I filled up with soaked beans that were left over from
> yesterday. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance, Dwayne

Next time I try it, I'm gonna soak the beans in plenty of water. When
they look fully hydrated, simmer them in the soaking water for 20 to 30
minutes, drain, and then fill the jars (1 inch headspace) with the hot
beans and fresh water and a little salt. The idea is that they will
swell up during parboiling and not so much during processing. I dunno
if it will work.

Or maybe the just need even more headspace.

Best regards,
Bob
Dwayne

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>> I am in the process now, of re-canning the jars that wouldn't seal and a

few
>> pint jars that I filled up with soaked beans that were left over from
>> yesterday. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance, Dwayne

Bob, This batch came out a lot better. The only things I did different, was
keep the canner on 10 to 11 lbs of pressure, yesterdays batches were mostly
between 12 and 14 lbs of pressure.

The beans I canned today had been soaking all night for a total of about 33
hours. Something else that I notices that was different that I like was the
way the jars set up. Yesterdays beans will have to be heated to get them to
pour out of the jars (the juice "Jelled"). Today's just poured out (one
pint didn't seal, so I ate it).

In addition, today, I added pork steak and pork sausages in some of the
pints I cooked. The one I ate had sausage. Not bad.

One other correction. I was told that 5 lbs translated into 7 quarts of
canned pinto beans. I bought 10 lbs, and got 11 quarts and 12 pints (A gain
of about 2 1/2 quarts with 10 lbs).

Dwayne

Loki

il Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:41:08 -0600, zxcvbob ha scritto:

> Next time I try it, I'm gonna soak the beans in plenty of water. When
> they look fully hydrated, simmer them in the soaking water for 20 to 30
> minutes, drain, and then fill the jars (1 inch headspace) with the hot
> beans and fresh water and a little salt. The idea is that they will
> swell up during parboiling and not so much during processing. I dunno
> if it will work.
>
> Or maybe the just need even more headspace.

My book says : fill loosely, don't shake them down. 1 inch headroom
etc. Cool quickly if in enamel jars. . [from: Putting food by / Ruth
Hertzberg... 1973]

Hmmm on further reading she seems to be referring to fresh beans. She
doesn't soak them at all. I believe your bean are so soaked they are
fermenting or germinating.

Just boil for one minute after returning to boiling, drain save
water. Fill jars, add salt and then the saved water. process 40
minutes at 10lbs. (pint size)
Maybe one doesn't can dry beans. Which after all are in a
'preserved' state already.
--
Cheers,

The Cook

"Dwayne" > wrote:

>Hi. I requested instructions/recipes on canning pinto beans, I got some
>
>Here is my problem. I let them soak in water for 15 hours on the first
>batch and 18 hours on the second. I left 1 inch of head space, and thought
>I turned the heat down as instructed in the instructions that came with the
>pressure canner. When I took out the completed jars, a lot of the juice had
>boiled out and was continuing to do so after taking them out of the water.
>For this reason two didn't seal.
>
>What caused them to boil over? Did I not tighten the lids tight enough, did
>I over fill the jars or what?
>I am in the process now, of re-canning the jars that wouldn't seal and a few
>pint jars that I filled up with soaked beans that were left over from
>yesterday. Any ideas?
>
>Thanks in advance, Dwayne

The second batch I canned I put fewer beans and more liquid in the
jars. I think I had more than 1" headroom before adding the liquid.
Looked better than the first batch. There are some with no liquid
over all of the beans.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

Pinto canning The Cook Preserving 0 14-09-2015 09:45 PM
Pinto beans Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 13 08-02-2006 04:57 AM
Canning pinto beans Dwayne Preserving 0 06-01-2005 04:20 PM
Canning pinto beans Dwayne Preserving 7 05-12-2004 10:49 PM
canning pinto beans Rich McCormack Mexican Cooking 2 05-11-2003 08:29 PM