Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Slugs

Here's an unconventional question for all. Qualify it as on topic as if
I can save the tomatoes they will get canned.

I segregate the ones the slugs have made a hole in, and normally they
spoil before hitting full ripe. Suppose an enzyme?

Anyway: Any tips on how to stop what ever may be causing them to spoil
and allow them to be salvaged? The beer trick and bait pellets help,
but still would like to save those that have been blemished.

Currently just wash the hole with water and watch it. If it makes to
within a day of ripe will cut the spot off and use it, but seems most
often the entire thing gets soft and smelly.

Thanks

Mark
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/31/2015 6:35 AM, pheasant16 wrote:

> Here's an unconventional question for all. Qualify it as on topic as if
> I can save the tomatoes they will get canned.
>
> I segregate the ones the slugs have made a hole in, and normally they
> spoil before hitting full ripe. Suppose an enzyme?
>
> Anyway: Any tips on how to stop what ever may be causing them to spoil
> and allow them to be salvaged? The beer trick and bait pellets help,
> but still would like to save those that have been blemished.
>
> Currently just wash the hole with water and watch it. If it makes to
> within a day of ripe will cut the spot off and use it, but seems most
> often the entire thing gets soft and smelly.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

IIRC slugs use an enzyme to dissolve their food and then suck it up.
Slugs are forever with us but do make pretty good fish bait. We have
some big, black slugs, up to four inches long on occasion. I do the
Cajun two step on them and that helps. I just throw away the tomatoes or
other veggies they're chomping on.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> On 8/31/2015 6:35 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
>>
>> Here's an unconventional question for all. Qualify it as on topic as if
>> I can save the tomatoes they will get canned.
>>
>> I segregate the ones the slugs have made a hole in, and normally they
>> spoil before hitting full ripe. Suppose an enzyme?
>>
>> Anyway: Any tips on how to stop what ever may be causing them to spoil
>> and allow them to be salvaged? The beer trick and bait pellets help,
>> but still would like to save those that have been blemished.
>>
>> Currently just wash the hole with water and watch it. If it makes to
>> within a day of ripe will cut the spot off and use it, but seems most
>> often the entire thing gets soft and smelly.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mark

> IIRC slugs use an enzyme to dissolve their food and then suck it up.
> Slugs are forever with us but do make pretty good fish bait. We have
> some big, black slugs, up to four inches long on occasion. I do the
> Cajun two step on them and that helps. I just throw away the tomatoes or
> other veggies they're chomping on.

Thanks George

Had actually considered making a solution of Adolph's Meat Tenderizer to
rinse the holes with.
Just hoping some one knew what slugs action was.
You did. So figure have nothing to lose by experimenting.

---

Slugs and Snails Welsh Dog General Cooking 15 04-12-2008 09:51 PM
Slugs on toast. (IANMTU) Adam Funk[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-07-2007 03:44 AM
slugs like beer Jeff Beer 0 09-02-2005 05:59 AM
How to cook maggots, slugs and worms! Tom-Alex Soorhull Marketplace 0 15-05-2004 02:33 AM
Farmed Slugs Redux Sam Salmon Sushi 8 20-01-2004 03:48 PM