Sam Salmon

Default Farmed Slugs Redux

In all the years I have lived in BC-where farmed slugs have been
produced for decades and marketed to the ignorant and credulous to
consume-I have never ever met anyone who worked on a fish farm who
would eat farmed Salmon.
Even the dumbest minimum wage greaseball won't touch those slimy
slugs.
Spending days on end exposed to the reek and constantly feeding
antibiotic laced feed to the clamouring creatures is enough to turn
anyone off eating one-for life!
Gerry

In article >, Sam Salmon
> wrote:

> In all the years I have lived in BC-where farmed slugs have been
> produced for decades and marketed to the ignorant and credulous to
> consume-I have never ever met anyone who worked on a fish farm who
> would eat farmed Salmon.

Makes sense. That doesn't say anything about whether it's good or not;
it's just your judgement of other folks judgement. Somebody somewhere
thinks everything you eat indicates what a doofus you are too.

> Even the dumbest minimum wage greaseball won't touch those slimy
> slugs.

I'm sure you speak for all the dumbest minimum wage greaseballs when
you say that, but I think your brethren can state their own views,
whatever they might really be, without your help.

> Spending days on end exposed to the reek and constantly feeding
> antibiotic laced feed to the clamouring creatures is enough to turn
> anyone off eating one-for life!

Actually the best way to appreciate the exquisite culinary aspects of
veal is not to be in the veal business. Working at the chicken ranch
doesn't make fried chicken appealing and just reading about what
happens in a beef slaugherhouse can put me off steak for 6 weeks.

It's tough to break through some folks thinking patterns. For
instance, you think every time you fart it's truly funny. And I guess
you always will.

--
A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All anybody needs to know about plumbing the depths of Japanese
Tea

"Sam Salmon" > wrote in message
> In all the years I have lived in BC-where farmed slugs have been
> produced for decades and marketed to the ignorant and credulous to
> consume-I have never ever met anyone who worked on a fish farm who
> would eat farmed Salmon.
> Even the dumbest minimum wage greaseball won't touch those slimy
> slugs.
> Spending days on end exposed to the reek and constantly feeding
> antibiotic laced feed to the clamouring creatures is enough to turn
> anyone off eating one-for life!

I went into my local chocolate shop recently. They dip chocolate in the
back. One of the customers said that they must love working around all that
yummy chocolate, and they said that actually, working with it and smelling
it all day has killed any desire for eating or drinking chocolate.
According to your logic, this means that chocolate is poisonous, and that
even the dumbest minimum wage types can figure that out (your assumption
that everyone working for minimum wage is stupid is so disgusting that we
won't even touch that one).

Over the years I've met people who work behind perfume counters who cannot
stand perfume, and teachers who cannot bear to watch shows like Boston
Public. Amazingly, there are actually cops who refuse to watch Law and
Order. Are these dislikes comments on the quality of certain items, or that
working in an unpleasant atmosphere (the smells of any fish farm are as
unpleasant as mingled perfume smells or dealing with rapists on a daily
basis) is enough to turn anyone's stomach?

Just so you know- I used to work for a prominent candle store chain. If I
never go into a basement of a candle store again, it will be too soon. I can
imagine how I would feel if I, say, worked on a boat and cut bait and chum
for salmon and other fish all day- my nose wouldn't care if they were wild
or not. Having cleaned fish on a regular basis in my childhood (to this
very day, when I think of summer I think of the smell of bluefish and the
feel of fish guts and scales) I do know that wild bluefish will never pass
between my teeth again so long as I can choose what I can eat in this life.
And I was in the open air when I did this.

Gerry

In article >, Sam Salmon
> wrote:

> >That doesn't say anything about whether it's good or not;
> >it's just your judgement of other folks judgement.

> It's my knowledge of the judgement of those who know the production
> facilitites best-those who are responsible for maintaining them.

Your knowledge? Let's just say your text on a computer screen. Anyway,
I know all those people, and was at a party with them this weekend.
They said you weren't elected to speak for them either.

This has been fun. You're in the cage now.

--
A Dictionary of Japanese Food, Ingredients & Culture by Richard Hosking
(Tuttle, '97). All anybody needs to know about plumbing the depths of Japanese
food; a cuisine far more vast than sushi.
Art Hannah

>Over the years I've met people who work behind perfume counters who cannot
>stand perfume, and teachers who cannot bear to watch shows like Boston
>Public.

I worked at a pizza place for a couple of years. For about 5 years afterwards,
I could not stand the thought of eating pizza.. anyone's pizza.

Maybe I should work around sushi for a while so I could get sick of that. It
would certainly save me some $$$.

Sam Salmon

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:40:06 -0800, Gerry >
wrote:

>Your knowledge? Let's just say your text on a computer screen.

You forget that I live in British Columbia and am regularly on the
ocean sportfishing-I see the destruction and waste that comes with
Salmon Farming.
You live an 'indoorsy' life and that speaks for itself.

> Anyway, I know all those people, and was at a party with them this weekend.

Fish Farm workers only associate with their own types-you wouldn't
last 10 minutes in a Port Hardy bar before somebody decided he didn't
like yanquisand dragged you outside to beat the shit out of you-seen
it before.

>This has been fun. You're in the cage now.

Actually it's farmed slugs that in a cages-or rather thousands of
cages-that's what this is about remember?
If you don't remember I forgive you-see here
http://www.salmonstudy.org/study/summary.html
for some reasons why you mental facilities are short circuiting so
often these days.
Dan Logcher

Art Hannah wrote:

>>Over the years I've met people who work behind perfume counters who cannot
>>stand perfume, and teachers who cannot bear to watch shows like Boston
>>Public.
>>

> I worked at a pizza place for a couple of years. For about 5 years afterwards,
> I could not stand the thought of eating pizza.. anyone's pizza.

What was it that you couldn't stand?

> Maybe I should work around sushi for a while so I could get sick of that. It
> would certainly save me some $$$.

I think you'd put the sushi bar out of business first.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Sam Salmon wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:40:06 -0800, Gerry >
> wrote:
>
>>Your knowledge? Let's just say your text on a computer screen.

> You forget that I live in British Columbia and am regularly on the
> ocean sportfishing-I see the destruction and waste that comes with
> Salmon Farming.
> You live an 'indoorsy' life and that speaks for itself.

You have us confused with people you know. You have no idea what
life we lead, so stop speaking as if you do.

>>Anyway, I know all those people, and was at a party with them this weekend.

> Fish Farm workers only associate with their own types-you wouldn't
> last 10 minutes in a Port Hardy bar before somebody decided he didn't
> like yanquisand dragged you outside to beat the shit out of you-seen
> it before.

Y'all sounds like a bunch of prejudice jerks.

>>This has been fun. You're in the cage now.

> Actually it's farmed slugs that in a cages-or rather thousands of
> cages-that's what this is about remember?

No, it's about sushi.. and not your anti-farming rhetoric.

--
Dan

Art Hannah

Default Mmmm... slugs

>> I worked at a pizza place for a couple of years. For about 5 years
>afterwards,
>> I could not stand the thought of eating pizza.. anyone's pizza.

>What was it that you couldn't stand?

Well, after a couple of years of making thousands of pizzas, serving and
delivering them.. I think it was the smell I couldn't take anymore.

Fortunately, sushi doesn't smell, and if it does, then there's a problem.

>> Maybe I should work around sushi for a while so I could get sick of that.

>It
>> would certainly save me some $$$.

>I think you'd put the sushi bar out of business first.

Hmmm.. you're probably right.

ObSushi: Ate at my favorite sushi bar yesterday. The sushi chef suggested
making me a lunch and charging the regular price (I usually order 10 nigiris
and a california maki lunch set, with miso soup, for $11.95.. good deal, I
think).

I got: A spicy California roll, made with shrimp, too.

A long sheet of cucumber wrapped around 4 different kinds of fish.. tuna,
salmon, whitefish.. and I think ika... resulting in 5 large pinwheels. They
were about 3 inches across. HUGE.. and hard to master with either fingers or
chopsticks. And of course, topped with spicy sauce. (I didn't even have to
ask!)

2 saba nigiri, 2 unagi nigiri. One uni and one ikura gunkan, each with a quail
egg!

I was really a pig, ordered 2 salmon nigiri and 2 hamachi. Whole bill came to
about $21.00. I threw the sushi chef a $5 in his tip jar.. he was beside
himself. (I found out he does NOT share in the tips that the wait staff gets)

Someone's gonna ask.. this is Beansprout in Malden, MA. Good stuff! Of course,
it helps if the sushi chef likes you.

--Art

Slugs pheasant16 Preserving 2 01-09-2015 01:04 AM
Slugs and Snails Welsh Dog General Cooking 15 04-12-2008 09:51 PM
Slugs on toast. (IANMTU) Adam Funk[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-07-2007 03:44 AM
Natural cure for slugs plus more mushrooms Janet Bostwick General Cooking 0 02-02-2006 11:14 PM
slugs like beer Jeff Beer 0 09-02-2005 05:59 AM