Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Slugs and Snails

Ok maybe not slugs... but snails are edible critters in France.

Question is are 'common or garden snails' ok to eat as well?

I know in principle how to prepare them, i.e. by collecting them and
feeding them on bran for a few days to clean out their innards before
they meet their end in a pot of boiling water... but do you *have* to
use a specific type of snail or can any snail found in the garden be
used??

Can't say they are a particular favourite of mine, not had them for 30
years or so, but in the past they've been ok served with garlic
butter.

Welshdog
--

News and views... for people like youse!!

Australian Opinion
Now finally at http://australianopinion.com.au
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think we have a new Cory Richardson (minus the cross-posting).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 14:55:07 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>I think we have a new Cory Richardson (minus the cross-posting).

Who he??

Welshdog
--

News and views... for people like youse!!

Australian Opinion
Now finally at http://australianopinion.com.au
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:58:56 -0500, "C.D" > wrote:
>"Welsh Dog" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Ok maybe not slugs... but snails are edible critters in France.

>> Question is are 'common or garden snails' ok to eat as well?

>> I know in principle how to prepare them, i.e. by collecting them and
>> feeding them on bran for a few days to clean out their innards before
>> they meet their end in a pot of boiling water... but do you *have* to
>> use a specific type of snail or can any snail found in the garden be
>> used??

>> Can't say they are a particular favourite of mine, not had them for 30
>> years or so, but in the past they've been ok served with garlic
>> butter.

>nope. you have to find the snails by the special mushrooms.

?? Ok you lost me entirely.

Welshdog
--

News and views... for people like youse!!

Australian Opinion
Now finally at http://australianopinion.com.au
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 07:16:49 +1100, Welsh Dog >
wrote:

>Ok maybe not slugs... but snails are edible critters in France.
>
>Question is are 'common or garden snails' ok to eat as well?
>
>I know in principle how to prepare them, i.e. by collecting them and
>feeding them on bran for a few days to clean out their innards before
>they meet their end in a pot of boiling water... but do you *have* to
>use a specific type of snail or can any snail found in the garden be
>used??
>
>Can't say they are a particular favourite of mine, not had them for 30
>years or so, but in the past they've been ok served with garlic
>butter.

Ok... been looking this up on Google... where else... and found quite
a lot of info. Much more info than I expected to be honest.

Seems the 'European Brown' is the snail of choice and preparation is a
bit time consuming.

They have to be purged in case they've eaten snail bait or 'toxic
grasses' so you keep them in a safe container (not cardboard) for a
couple of weeks feeding them on 'safe' greens or corn meal. Change the
food each day to keep it fresh and make sure there is fresh water in
there with them too.

Then you feed them 'bran' for the last three days.

To cook, you start by boiling them for 15 or so scooping out the scum
that forms - as it would. Once the scum is gone, they're ready for
proper cooking.

Let them cool, pull them out of their shells, dice them, mix with
olive oil, garlic butter and parsley and either stuff them back into
their shells, or into mushroom caps!

Bake slowly until the butter is 'bubbly'

There ya go!! Had I not been throwing out handfuls of snail bait for
the past month I could have had a feast off the hundreds of snails
we've had in the garden for months!

Welshdog
--

News and views... for people like youse!!

Australian Opinion
Now finally at http://australianopinion.com.au

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 08:39:35 +1100, Welsh Dog >
wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 14:55:07 -0600, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>I think we have a new Cory Richardson (minus the cross-posting).

>Who he??

Just some guy who posts about food and is never nasty to anyone - even
when they're nasty to him.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

C.D wrote:

>> Ok maybe not slugs... but snails are edible critters in France.
>>
>> Question is are 'common or garden snails' ok to eat as well?

Don't know where you're from, so that might make a difference.
Here in California, the "common garden" snail we see today is supposedly
escaped from French immigrants in the 19th century. So, yes, they are
edible, if cland out and they stay alive for a few days (haven't been
poisoned!)

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 19:06:57 -0800, Dave Bell
> wrote:

>C.D wrote:
>
>>> Ok maybe not slugs... but snails are edible critters in France.
>>>
>>> Question is are 'common or garden snails' ok to eat as well?

>Don't know where you're from, so that might make a difference.
>Here in California, the "common garden" snail we see today is supposedly
> escaped from French immigrants in the 19th century. So, yes, they are
>edible, if cland out and they stay alive for a few days (haven't been
>poisoned!)

Sydney.... and I have hundreds of snails I *could* collect... if they
were edible.

How can I tell?

Welshdog
--

News and views... for people like youse!!

Australian Opinion
Now finally at http://australianopinion.com.au
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Welsh Dog > wrote:

> Sydney.... and I have hundreds of snails I *could* collect... if they
> were edible.
>
> How can I tell?

Ask them how they feel.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Welsh Dog > wrote:

> Ok... been looking this up on Google... where else... and found quite
> a lot of info. Much more info than I expected to be honest.

Always do that before you post.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 14:15:12 +1100, Welsh Dog >
wrote:

>Sydney.... and I have hundreds of snails I *could* collect... if they
>were edible.
>
>How can I tell?

Google escargot or Helix aspersa. They're pests where I live.
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/misc/g...rden_snail.htm

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 08:50:42 +1100, Welsh Dog >
wrote:

>News and views... for people like youse!!

I'm queasy when it comes to snails. I can't even make escargot using
canned snails without losing my appetite. However, it's a different
story if I don't have to prepare them myself.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 07:16:49 +1100, Welsh Dog > wrote:

>Ok maybe not slugs... but snails are edible critters in France.
>
>Question is are 'common or garden snails' ok to eat as well?
>
>I know in principle how to prepare them, i.e. by collecting them and
>feeding them on bran for a few days to clean out their innards before
>they meet their end in a pot of boiling water... but do you *have* to
>use a specific type of snail or can any snail found in the garden be
>used??
>
>Can't say they are a particular favourite of mine, not had them for 30
>years or so, but in the past they've been ok served with garlic
>butter.
>
>Welshdog

Snail ain't nuthin but a hardtop slug, if you'll eat one you may as well eat the
other.

p.s. Beware, wild snails are major disease and parasite vectors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Welsh Dog wrote:
> Ok maybe not slugs... but snails are edible critters in France.
>
> Question is are 'common or garden snails' ok to eat as well?

Garden snails are kind of slimey, you might want to try conch and
scungilli instead, at least they're something you can chew. Seems you
like french cousine... before you munch escargot you might better
enjoy cunnilingus.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Welsh Dog wrote:
> > Ok maybe not slugs... but snails are edible critters in France.
> >
> > Question is are 'common or garden snails' ok to eat as well?

> Garden snails are kind of slimey, you might want to try conch and
> scungilli instead, at least they're something you can chew. Seems you
> like french cousine... before you munch escargot you might better
> enjoy cunnilingus.

The great thing about snails is that they are multi - sexual so you don't
have to seek out a specific female of the species on which to "munch"...

--
Best
Greg

Slugs pheasant16 Preserving 2 01-09-2015 01:04 AM
Slugs on toast. (IANMTU) Adam Funk[_2_] General Cooking 1 26-07-2007 03:44 AM
slugs like beer Jeff Beer 0 09-02-2005 06:59 AM
How to cook maggots, slugs and worms! Tom-Alex Soorhull Marketplace 0 15-05-2004 02:33 AM
Farmed Slugs Redux Sam Salmon Sushi 8 20-01-2004 04:48 PM