Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pressure Canner Question

This is probably in the manual, but a quick scan didn't spot it.
(I'll read the thing before actually canning.)

I just picked up an All American model 921 pressure canner. It
comes with two trays with holes for layering jars. Am I correct
in my guess that one of them goes at the bottom of the pot to keep
the jars off the heating surface?

I haven't done any canning in ages, and only water bath (with a jar
rack) before this.

Looking at the garden lately, buying the canner this year may have
been an excessive act of faith, but I'd rather have it too early
than too late.

--
Drew Lawson

". . . And I never give a reason"
-- God, as channeled by Seven Nations
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/18/2012 2:48 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:
> This is probably in the manual, but a quick scan didn't spot it.
> (I'll read the thing before actually canning.)
>
> I just picked up an All American model 921 pressure canner. It
> comes with two trays with holes for layering jars. Am I correct
> in my guess that one of them goes at the bottom of the pot to keep
> the jars off the heating surface?

Yes, second tray goes on top of the first layer of jars.

> I haven't done any canning in ages, and only water bath (with a jar
> rack) before this.
>
> Looking at the garden lately, buying the canner this year may have
> been an excessive act of faith, but I'd rather have it too early
> than too late.

Welcome to our world, for two years we had drought, this year we're
above normal in rainfall already. Some fourteen inches fell in the last
several days. Just went out to get the mail and got hit in the head with
a large rain drop (I hope) out of a clear, sunny sky.

If you haven't already done it you might want to bookmark this site:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/

Lots of good stuff even for experienced canners and really good for novices.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article m>
George Shirley > writes:

>Welcome to our world, for two years we had drought, this year we're
>above normal in rainfall already. Some fourteen inches fell in the last
>several days. Just went out to get the mail and got hit in the head with
>a large rain drop (I hope) out of a clear, sunny sky.

We (Ohio) could use that.
The well is still holding out, but I don't think I'm being consistent
enough to keep the plants happy, especially since I planted things
closer together than I intended. (Planting things to be caged when
the cages weren't ready yet.)

The hope/goal was to can a year's supply of pasta sauces, but the
tomatoes don't look like they are going to cooperate. Still, it is
producing more than last year (gophers).

>If you haven't already done it you might want to bookmark this site:
>
>http://nchfp.uga.edu/
>
>Lots of good stuff even for experienced canners and really good for novices.

Did that a few months back. I just ordered the print copy of the
USDA guide from Perdue. I keep meaning to pick up the Ball book,
but haven't remembered yet to put it on the grocery list.

--
Drew Lawson | It's not enough to be alive
| when your future's been deferred

question about getting a new pressure canner Mark Daniel Ward Preserving 19 22-07-2009 02:34 PM
question about pressure canner Ozark Baby[_2_] Preserving 7 09-10-2008 04:53 AM
Pressure Canner Al Reid Preserving 20 26-07-2006 02:25 PM
New (to me) Pressure Canner Keith Warren Preserving 33 08-08-2005 07:55 PM
Pressure Canner Andrew Valiukas Preserving 16 12-12-2003 10:43 AM