Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Fermented pickles

Just finished off a batch at 15 days. Nice and crisp, and perfectly sour.
(Picture on AFB)

Setting up to start a 3 gallon batch, next.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/15/2012 12:25 PM, Shawn Martin wrote:
> Just finished off a batch at 15 days. Nice and crisp, and perfectly sour.
> (Picture on AFB)
>
> Setting up to start a 3 gallon batch, next.

You must live someplace cool Shawn, every time I have tried to ferment
anything but wine in a closed fermenting jug I get mold of various
colors. Probably because of the heat and humidity down here on the Gulf
Coast. I envy your fermented sour pickles.

George, where it has rained every day for nine days now, what happened
to the drought we had for two years?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/15/2012 2:33 PM, George Shirley wrote:

> George, where it has rained every day for nine days now, what happened
> to the drought we had for two years?

It has moved to Colorado. The heat is here, too.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 7/15/2012 12:25 PM, Shawn Martin wrote:
>> Just finished off a batch at 15 days. Nice and crisp, and perfectly
>> sour.
>> (Picture on AFB)
>>
>> Setting up to start a 3 gallon batch, next.

> You must live someplace cool Shawn, every time I have tried to ferment
> anything but wine in a closed fermenting jug I get mold of various colors.
> Probably because of the heat and humidity down here on the Gulf Coast. I
> envy your fermented sour pickles.
>
> George, where it has rained every day for nine days now, what happened to
> the drought we had for two years?

Actually, I live just south of Dallas, TX. The room I am fermenting in
usually I kept at about 70 degrees.

( no rain here :-( )

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 7/16/2012 1:46 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> On 7/15/2012 12:25 PM, Shawn Martin wrote:
>>> Just finished off a batch at 15 days. Nice and crisp, and perfectly
>>> sour.
>>> (Picture on AFB)
>>>
>>> Setting up to start a 3 gallon batch, next.

>> You must live someplace cool Shawn, every time I have tried to ferment
>> anything but wine in a closed fermenting jug I get mold of various
>> colors. Probably because of the heat and humidity down here on the
>> Gulf Coast. I envy your fermented sour pickles.
>>
>> George, where it has rained every day for nine days now, what happened
>> to the drought we had for two years?
>>

> Actually, I live just south of Dallas, TX. The room I am fermenting in
> usually I kept at about 70 degrees.
>
> ( no rain here :-( )

That would certainly work, due to high energy costs here in SW Louisiana
we keep the house at 80F during the summer and 68F during the winter.

We're moving back to the Houston area sometime in the near future,
depends on how long it takes two people in their mid-seventies to finish
remodeling this old house, particularly since one of them is going
through a bout of shingles.

George, off to paint the inside of the garage

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 06:48:17 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 7/16/2012 1:46 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
>>
>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> . com...

>>> You must live someplace cool Shawn, every time I have tried to ferment
>>> anything but wine in a closed fermenting jug I get mold of various
>>> colors. Probably because of the heat and humidity down here on the
>>> Gulf Coast. I envy your fermented sour pickles.
>>>
>>> George, where it has rained every day for nine days now, what happened
>>> to the drought we had for two years?
>>>

>> Actually, I live just south of Dallas, TX. The room I am fermenting in
>> usually I kept at about 70 degrees.
>>
>> ( no rain here :-( )

>That would certainly work, due to high energy costs here in SW Louisiana
>we keep the house at 80F during the summer and 68F during the winter.
>
>We're moving back to the Houston area sometime in the near future,
>depends on how long it takes two people in their mid-seventies to finish
>remodeling this old house, particularly since one of them is going
>through a bout of shingles.

George, guys your age should not be doing roof work ;-).

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Shawn Martin" > wrote:
> Just finished off a batch at 15 days. Nice and crisp, and perfectly
> sour. (Picture on AFB)
>
> Setting up to start a 3 gallon batch, next.

And they look great, Shawn! Thanks. ;-)

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Pickle Crisp and Fermented pickles Mark Curry Preserving 19 28-04-2019 12:04 AM
Lacto-fermented pickles... Oregonian Haruspex General Cooking 5 28-10-2015 04:00 PM
REC: Fermented Pickles [email protected] General Cooking 1 17-08-2012 06:58 AM
Fermented Pickles Beti Preserving 3 11-09-2011 12:10 AM
Fermented pickles Andy Petro Preserving 7 28-07-2009 06:44 PM