Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Fermented pickles

I am looking for a good fermented pickle recipe, using only salt and no
vinegar.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Andy Petro" > wrote:

> I am looking for a good fermented pickle recipe, using only salt and no
> vinegar.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html for general preserving information;
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/dill_pickles.html; I notice a little
bit of vinegar in that recipe ‹ I'm not sure what that's about.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...on/DJ1091.html
from my U of MN Extension Division; scroll down to find the fermenting
information.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Andy Petro wrote:
> I am looking for a good fermented pickle recipe, using only salt and no
> vinegar.

Here, from my site, the Pickles Index:
http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...kle_index.html

Basically, the brine ratio is 1 tablespoon kosher salt to 1 cup of water.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman > wrote:
> Andy Petro wrote:
> > I am looking for a good fermented pickle recipe, using only salt and no
> > vinegar.

> Here, from my site, the Pickles Index:
> http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...kle_index.html
>
> Basically, the brine ratio is 1 tablespoon kosher salt to 1 cup of water.

Great web iste, Brian. Thanks. I couldn't find corned beef or pastrami. ;-(

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Brian Mailman > wrote:
>> Andy Petro wrote:
>> > I am looking for a good fermented pickle recipe, using only salt and no
>> > vinegar.

>> Here, from my site, the Pickles Index:
>> http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...kle_index.html
>>
>> Basically, the brine ratio is 1 tablespoon kosher salt to 1 cup of water.

> Great web iste, Brian. Thanks. I couldn't find corned beef or pastrami. ;-(

Look for Corned Beef, Home Cured, scroll down the list:
http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...ket_index.html

Pastrami is smoked corned beef .

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Brian Mailman > wrote:
> >>
> >> Here, from my site, the Pickles Index:
> >> http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...kle_index.html
> >>
> >> Basically, the brine ratio is 1 tablespoon kosher salt to 1 cup of
> >> water.

> > Great web iste, Brian. Thanks. I couldn't find corned beef or pastrami.
> > ;-(

> Look for Corned Beef, Home Cured, scroll down the list:
> http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...risket_index.h
> tml
>
> Pastrami is smoked corned beef .

Thanks, Brian. How did I miss that? Don't ask!
> B/

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:38:38 -0400, "Andy Petro"
> wrote:

>I am looking for a good fermented pickle recipe, using only salt and no
>vinegar.

The Joy of Pickling has a good chapter on fermenting pickles. My
neighbor thinks the "kosher" dills are the best pickles he's ever
eaten (and he likes the brine for his bloody marys.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Brian Mailman > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>> > Great web iste, Brian. Thanks. I couldn't find corned beef or pastrami.
>> > ;-(

>> Look for Corned Beef, Home Cured, scroll down the list:
>> http://www.jewishfood-list.com/recip...risket_index.h
>> tml
>>
>> Pastrami is smoked corned beef .

> Thanks, Brian. How did I miss that? Don't ask!

I did too... you need to go down one further node from Beef & Veal to
Corned Beef.

B/