Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default low sugar peach jam, comments

as my try of the strawberry low sugar
was not very good to my taste (too bland
and the color went off) i wasn't too sure
how the peach jam would turn out, but i
made some anyways (so i could give some
to my diabetic step-Ma).

i finally opened up a jar of it this
week and am pleasantly surprised by how
it turned out. the peaches have a
stronger flavor and so the result is not
bland and the color has not gone off at
all.

quite happy and will probably do more
of this again if i get the chance.

however, like the strawberry low sugar
it is too easy to eat a whole jar of this
quickly.

songbird (no beets were touched when
writing this post
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
songbird > wrote:

> as my try of the strawberry low sugar
> was not very good to my taste (too bland
> and the color went off) i wasn't too sure
> how the peach jam would turn out, but i
> made some anyways (so i could give some
> to my diabetic step-Ma).
>
> i finally opened up a jar of it this
> week and am pleasantly surprised by how
> it turned out. the peaches have a
> stronger flavor and so the result is not
> bland and the color has not gone off at
> all.
>
> quite happy and will probably do more
> of this again if i get the chance.
>
> however, like the strawberry low sugar
> it is too easy to eat a whole jar of this
> quickly.
>

> songbird (no beets were touched when
> writing this post

:-)

Keep your jam in the dark. Sugar helps with the color, too, as well as
the flavor and preservation. Have you ever noticed that the no-sugar
fruit spreads in the supermarket ‹ they get brownish in color with age.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>:-)
>
> Keep your jam in the dark. Sugar helps with the color, too, as well as
> the flavor and preservation. Have you ever noticed that the no-sugar
> fruit spreads in the supermarket ‹ they get brownish in color with age.

hmm, i keep all of what i make in
dark closets.

no, i've not really looked at the low
sugar items at the store very often. i
much prefer sugared jams (sweet tooth ).
and the past few years our jam buying has
greatly decreased -- other than a jar of
apricot every once in a great while.

songbird